New Leaderboard counting only 1 platinum per game.

TheMexiTV

1 hour ago, B1rvine said:

The site can very easily implement this and has already essentially defined what a unique game is.

The new “series” feature that is in progress already collects the data.  Each series has all games under an umbrella and lists multiple steps in order to complete the series. 

This same data could be used for a no stack leaderboard. Example: Step 1 of the Uncharted series is Uncharted *or* Uncharted Remastered etc. So completion of one those games (either one) would count once in a no stack leaderboard. The other (if applicable) would be a duplicate.

And there’s no reason this is a bad idea. The only people against it are elitists afraid of being lower in an alternative leaderboard. You can still stack in the main one.

Let's be honest, if anyone's an elitist in this thread, it's the people who belittle others for replaying their favourite games.

Also, that series tracking sounds really dumb. Uncharted Remastered requires more work than Uncharted 1 on PS3, they shouldn't be treated as equal. And even if it did require the same amount, there are still objectively platinums to be earned. Both should be required, because otherwise, you're factually missing trophies in the series. If you try and pretend you've done every Uncharted game, but someone else has 3 more Uncharted platinums than you do, I think it's pretty obvious you haven't finished it at all.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, B1rvine said:

And there’s no reason this is a bad idea. The only people against it are elitists afraid of being lower in an alternative leaderboard. You can still stack in the main one.

No one of your "so called elitists" would be lower there, LOL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, madbuk said:

snip

Anyone can play what they want.

I personally plan to replay the Uncharted, Arkham, and Assassin’s Creed PS4 titles again myself. I’ve done the GTA V, Last of Us, and Sound Shapes already. But for purposes of a *fun* little extra leaderboard with statistics only counting unique games (not necessarily trophy lists) I wouldn’t expect any of those to be included more than once. Don’t get me wrong, I can understand the argument that games with different lists such as Uncharted, both should be unique too, but those are really uncommon overall so it may just be easier to include one.

Regarding the Series feature, the mock up picture I saw from Sly was a good while back, so maybe there will be changes. What I remember though, is it will show all unique trophy lists done, so anyone doing *everything* will be recognized, but also shows each set of numbered sequels as only requiring one to “complete the step”. Iirc Fight for Fortune and Golden Abyss weren’t counted as any step, but included in the series for 100% completion, and then the other games were step one through five respectively (and Lost Legacy being step five).

My main point here was really it should be easy to implement, since the data is there due to the series feature.

31 minutes ago, maxijodi said:

No one of your "so called elitists" would be lower there, LOL

Then you have no reason to care if such a leaderboard were to be created, just don’t look at it.

Edited by B1rvine
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, B1rvine said:

I'm against it because I think it's just going to lead to arguments about what should and shouldn't be considered a "unique" experience. Even if a stack list already exists, not everybody is going to agree with it, and then we're going to start seeing topics like, "________ shouldn't be considered a stack!" or "Why is ________ a stack when ________ isn't?" Is somebody going to be in charge of fielding all of those discussions? Is it really worth dealing with, if all it's going to give us is an alternative leaderboard that is under constant scrutiny?

For the record, this doesn't affect me in any way. The only game I have that could even remotely be considered a stack is Shantae Half-Genie Hero, and I could see the argument both ways for whether that should or shouldn't count.

11 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I'm against it because I think it's just going to lead to arguments about what should and shouldn't be considered a "unique" experience. Even if a stack list already exists, not everybody is going to agree with it, and then we're going to start seeing topics like, "________ shouldn't be considered a stack!" or "Why is ________ a stack when ________ isn't?" Is somebody going to be in charge of fielding all of those discussions? Is it really worth dealing with, if all it's going to give us is an alternative leaderboard that is under constant scrutiny?

For the record, this doesn't affect me in any way. The only game I have that could even remotely be considered a stack is Shantae Half-Genie Hero, and I could see the argument both ways for whether that should or shouldn't count.

Remasters or games with differing trophy lists shouldn't count as stacks. 12 versions of Root Letter should count as stacks.

• Like 2

Sounds like a waste of resources. Particularly when there are basics in the forums still missing. Blocked people’s status updates still show up. You still can’t see what forum a recent thread is posted in either, so “trophy thoughts” or vague titles are a random venture to see what it’s even about if you get to it from the forum main page. Works fine on home, which makes it even dumber. Notifications aren’t informative enough since the site “updated” ages ago either. “Replied to a status update”... gee, that’s helpful. And having individual notifications for the same status is tedious and exasperates the issue with it not being specific. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Sounds like a waste of resources. Particularly when there are basics in the forums still missing. Blocked people’s status updates still show up. You still can’t see what forum a recent thread is posted in either, so “trophy thoughts” or vague titles are a random venture to see what it’s even about if you get to it from the forum main page. Works fine on home, which makes it even dumber. Notifications aren’t informative enough since the site “updated” ages ago either. “Replied to a status update”... gee, that’s helpful. And having individual notifications for the same status is tedious and exasperates the issue with it not being specific. 

Maybe make some suggestions in your own thread then.

15 hours ago, Mardia_ said:

Remasters or games with differing trophy lists shouldn't count as stacks. 12 versions of Root Letter should count as stacks.

The OP suggested that remasters should count, and there's a good argument to be made about that for a lot of games. What about Dark Souls, where the only difference between the PS3 version and the PS4 remaster is that bonfires look a little brighter? Some kind of general consensus is going to have to be made about where to draw the line, and it's very likely to lead to bickering and petitions to get games added or removed from a stack list. That's the kind of backlash you're going to have to be prepared for if you try to introduce a brand new leaderboard that has already met some resistance.

I think, for starters, the OP should be changed to define exactly what kind of leaderboard this would be, rather than giving a few examples of games that should and shouldn't count.

no thanks to this leaderboard...i guess I just don't see the point of it...is it the idea that we should get rid of auto-popped trophies since they don't really count as being "earned" in some people's minds?...or that stacking is "easy" compared to playing differing titles therefore shouldn't be recognized?...

to me, there are 3 aspects involved in earning trophies regardless of game: time, money, and skill...removing duplicate trophies from a person's list just doesn't make sense imo since I interpret the ideology as "let's try to get rid of trophies that don't require time, money, or skill"...but why?...i'd prefer to see site resources go towards something other than this proposed leaderboard...if a majority find the idea brilliant, great, I'm all for it but personally have no use for such a ranking system...

Edited by ProfBambam55

56 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

The OP suggested that remasters should count, and there's a good argument to be made about that for a lot of games. What about Dark Souls, where the only difference between the PS3 version and the PS4 remaster is that bonfires look a little brighter? Some kind of general consensus is going to have to be made about where to draw the line, and it's very likely to lead to bickering and petitions to get games added or removed from a stack list. That's the kind of backlash you're going to have to be prepared for if you try to introduce a brand new leaderboard that has already met some resistance.

I think, for starters, the OP should be changed to define exactly what kind of leaderboard this would be, rather than giving a few examples of games that should and shouldn't count.

Usually only people who are going for a whole series plat collection go for both versions of dark souls games or uncharted or anything like that as they take a bit of effort. I don't think anyone really cares about if you have the plat for the ps3 uncharted 1-3 and the ps4 uncharted 1-3. Only people who are embarrassed that they stack 3-12 versions of shovelware games would bring up that argument.

I am fine with it as long as they do it right.

Take LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, PS3 and PS4 Versions are the same game, but the Vita one is different completely, So only PS3 or PS4 should be squished.

Ratchet and Clank HD and Ratchet and Clank 2016, Same game but a reboot with extra's enough to be considered different so both should count.

Now Borderlands and Borderlands Japanese - Same game just one does not have a DLC released for it. BUT The game is 100% the same so only one would count.

1 hour ago, ProfBambam55 said:

no thanks to this leaderboard...i guess I just don't see the point of it...is it the idea that we should get rid of auto-popped trophies since they don't really count as being "earned" in some people's minds?...or that stacking is "easy" compared to playing differing titles therefore shouldn't be recognized?...

to me, there are 3 aspects involved in earning trophies regardless of game: time, money, and skill...removing duplicate trophies from a person's list just doesn't make sense imo since I interpret the ideology as "let's try to get rid of trophies that don't require time, money, or skill"...but why?...i'd prefer to see site resources go towards something other than this proposed leaderboard...if a majority find the idea brilliant, great, I'm all for it but personally have no use for such a ranking system...

They also want to get rid of trophies that do require time, money and/or skill, because there are plenty of stacks out there that still require a lot of effort the second/third/whatever time through.

58 minutes ago, Mardia_ said:

Usually only people who are going for a whole series plat collection go for both versions of dark souls games or uncharted or anything like that as they take a bit of effort. I don't think anyone really cares about if you have the plat for the ps3 uncharted 1-3 and the ps4 uncharted 1-3. Only people who are embarrassed that they stack 3-12 versions of shovelware games would bring up that argument.

In a previous post, you mention stacking Root Letter 12 times, and here you mention stacking shovelware 12 times.

I hope you're not trying to imply Root Letter is shovelware because it's a visual novel. I've heard it's nothing super special, but fairly decent. (And there are many VNs out there that are fantastic too like Phoenix Wright and Steins;Gate)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, madbuk said:

In a previous post, you mention stacking Root Letter 12 times, and here you mention stacking shovelware 12 times.

I hope you're not trying to imply Root Letter is shovelware because it's a visual novel. I've heard it's nothing super special, but fairly decent. (And there are many VNs out there that are fantastic too like Phoenix Wright and Steins;Gate)

Maybe calling Root Letter shovelware was a bad thing to say, but if you're playing a visual novel purely for entertainment of a story that's different to completing it 12 times in some languages you can't even read.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madbuk said:

They also want to get rid of trophies that do require time, money and/or skill, because there are plenty of stacks out there that still require a lot of effort the second/third/whatever time through.

agreed but there are talks of making exceptions or at least some ambiguity throughout the thread for what should happen to the above type of games...gta v, payday 2, and tlou come to mind as games that would be odd to remove...

having read most of the posts here, i fail to follow the logic of what the purpose of the proposed leaderboard would be...just a cool idea?...if so, that's fine...i just don't get it, which is also fine...put me in the category of "indifferent but would rather see efforts put into other areas of the site ahead of this"...for the record, I also find the rarity leaderboard silly but can at least understand why some would really want to see it officially implemented...i'd vote for it over a non-stack one since I don't tend to stack games anyhow...

6 hours ago, Mardia_ said:

Maybe make some suggestions in your own thread then.

They're self evident issues. And I've already pointed them out before, but thanks for assuming I never had for no reason! They just probably will never be fixed, literally pointed some of them out when the forum was first 'up'dated. So why should we have a new leaderboard that only a fraction of a fraction of people will care about? Why should Sly devote his attentions to this over anything else he could be doing? Like I said, I think it's a waste of resources and explained why.

1 minute ago, Elvick_ said:

They're self evident issues. And I've already pointed them out before, but thanks for assuming I never had for no reason! They just probably will never be fixed, literally pointed some of them out when the forum was first 'up'dated. So why should we have a new leaderboard that only a fraction of a fraction of people will care about? Why should Sly devote his attentions to this over anything else he could be doing? Like I said, I think it's a waste of resources and explained why.

If Sly didn't care about your previous suggestions then there is no reason to bring it up again now. I would wager that more people care about a seperate leaderboard than blocked users status updates showing up.

?‍♂️ Sure, why not?

Most people won’t care about it, but more stats is more fun than less stats.

I personally wouldn’t care about my position on it, as I only barely care about my place on the real leaderboard, but I can’t get worked up about it to argue against it.

• Like 2

Hello all and many thanks for contributing to this post.

Just as a reminder, the proposal was not to replace the actual leaderboard, but add a new one, to be able to calculate it in another way without all the stacking Platinum.

So don't worry, it will not affect the main leaderboard and you will still be able to stack aaaaall the game that you want :)

It is just adding a new way to classify gamers ?

• Like 2

On 2/25/2019 at 6:00 AM, Mexi-- said:

Just as a reminder, the proposal was not to replace the actual leaderboard, but add a new one, to be able to calculate it in another way without all the stacking Platinum.

I think everyone understands that. And it looks like your idea was shot down by the majority. Just as a reminder.

On 03/03/2019 at 6:40 AM, SwampGas said:

I think everyone understands that. And it looks like your idea was shot down by the majority. Just as a reminder.

Mmm ok, well it seems that we didn't read the same comments haha ?

A lot of users think that the proposal was to replace the actual leaderboard, which is not the case. I just wanted to make it more clear ^^

Also, a lot of users think that this is a good idea as well ?

On 26/02/2019 at 0:30 AM, Mexi-- said:

Hello all and many thanks for contributing to this post.

So don't worry, it will not affect the main leaderboard and you will still be able to stack aaaaall the game that you want :)

It is just adding a new way to classify gamers ?

The real question is what could this leaderboard be called? unique?