Kill Your Completion 9

@Kevvik Your scathing review for Omega Quintet had me laughing. The story was so bland & easily forgettable. I found the combat strong enough to keep playing. But yeah, by the time you start clearing the end game dungeons while working on 1 billion approval rating you'll be numb to it all.

On 3/16/2019 at 3:29 AM, voodoo_eyes said:

Game #6 - Tomb Raider: Legend - Preview

Le34f29.png

Contrary to most of my previous choices for this KYC, this game has stellar reviews. Although it needs to be said, that they were stellar back in 2006.

I'm not the biggest Tomb Raider fan, regarding anything pre-reboot (and the top-down twin stick shooter ones). I played the original a few years after release and thought it was crap, with it's bad camera angles, muddy look and clunky controls. It needs to be said I used to play mostly on PC back then and my go-to genres tended to be CRPGs, FPS, and RTS. I enjoyed Tomb Raider II a bit more, but still wouldn't consider it more than just OK. Pretty much skipped every game since then, until I tried TR Underworld a few years ago. Again, it was fairly mediocre and still had the somewhat clunky gameplay and awful camera angles.

Taking the above into consideration, I'm kind of expecting a similar feel to Underworld. I'm sure the things that bothered me there will still bother me in this one. But hey, it'll probably be better than the last 4 games, so there's that :P .

? Tomb Raider 1 has some of the best controls I've experienced in a platformer tbh. It's predictable, completely precise and every failure is user error. Tomb Raider 1-5 are designed on a grid-based system. You press forward, Lara moves forward by one square. To do a jump, you need a full square (two steps while running) before she'll jump, so you walk to an edge, back up (pressing back moves you back one square), and you're 100% guaranteed to perform the jump. It is finely crafted in a way I've never seen any other platformer achieve. Sure, lets take Jak for instance, you can accurately judge the length of a pit and range of the long jump without it being in a grid based system, but the grid based system just ensures that the platforming is smooth and flawless. And hell, it even accomidates for some freedom outside the grid, too.

Also, the camera is designed in a way that it will sometimes, but rarely, pan to important parts of an area, like the way forward at the very start of level 1, but it never does this at a time where you're in danger, so I don't see what's wrong with the camera either?

Underworld felt pretty rushed and unpolished unfortunately, shame since it's such an important game, rounding off a trilogy.

On 3/16/2019 at 0:34 PM, PerryToxteth said:

Thank You! That's a perfect summarization of my TR feelings as well. In the original, Lara was frustrating as all hell when she'd run off cliffs, but the puzzle-solving, platforming and exploration were great.

I couldn't completely pin point why I didn't care much for the reboot, but you answered for me. And the MP was absolutely atrocious. One of the worst I ever played.  Everybody was hopping around to avoid getting shot. It was like playing with a bunch of gun-toting bunnies. 

She'd only run off cliffs if you held forward too long or didn't do a full run-up for a jump though. Going to the edge, then backing up, then doing a running jump always works :P She also never goes off an edge if you're holding walk.

Personally, my biggest issue with the reboot, ignoring the horrible 'puzzles' and brain dead white ledge platforming, was the amount of gunfighting in it. It's also why I prefer TR1 to TR2, they added way too much combat in the second game. TR is at it's best when nature is Lara's enemy and enemy encounters are scarce. That's why Shadow is a return to form for me - there's so little combat in that game, and deadly obsession difficulty feels like a great homage to TR1, which arguably is one of my favourite games of all time (and its not from nostalgia, either. Played it for the first time in 2014 or 15 on Vita.)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

Speaking of waifus, you can have your pick with any NPC in the game. I think you can woo any of them (I could be mistaken though). I know for sure with the main female characters you can woo them enough to get some intimate CG pics of them. It might be worth the several hours of grind to get them, but from the comments I read, the grind is too long. Not looking forward to doing them myself.

Looking for a game for my second BINGO card that has romantic options, might look into this one for the slot. I know I'm not familiar with Sword Art Online, other than "a kid gets trapped in an MMO", but after seeing gameplay on a Youtube video, it looks pretty sweet... after I get all the usual suspects completed. ;)