Genre Leaderboard

11 minutes ago, JimboUrbanian said:

Tell me, how would you make the genres? Lets say you have Action, RPG, Racing, Strategy. Where would you put Far Cry for example? Action? What about its RPG elements? Nah. 

Seeing as the games on this site already have genres assigned to them, and my understanding is they are pulled directly from Sony's servers, this seems like a complete non-issue to me.

Far Cry 5, for example, is listed in the genres "Shooter", and "Adventure".

21 minutes ago, NathanielJohn said:

Seeing as the games on this site already have genres assigned to them, and my understanding is they are pulled directly from Sony's servers, this seems like a complete non-issue to me.

Another website called truetrophies has genre leaderboards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NathanielJohn said:

Yeah perhaps we should avoid using this though. LEGO games are a hack and slash, according to it, and Kingdom Hearts is a fighting game.

I mean, okay, you do fight lots of enemies in KH, but it's not exactly the 2D 1v1 fighter that I think most of us think of when we here something is a fighting game.

To be fair, if Far Cry 5 is anything like Far Cry 3, it's Shooter, Action and Adventure.

LEGO games are a mix. Sure, it's 3D top-down platformer first and foremost, usually with MP, but it's battle system is hack n slash-ish, though very simple and without all the RPG elements, and at some point it would probably have halfway been called Adventure too. Some could even argue 3D top down Puzzle Platformer, or collectathon.

KH is hack n slash, wikipedia describes it as action RPG, which it also is. Hack n slash refers more to the battle system.

Edited by MMDE

I like the idea, but I want them to finish the series leaderboards before tackling this (Mostly because I'd like to see the VR section).

I'm all for something new though. I don't really mind how accurate the genre is on PSN/this site. It is what it is. Honestly, I don't see any downside in having it.

I like the idea (in fact, I'm pretty sure I suggested it in the other leaderboard topic...), but you still have the issue of where to draw the line. Is it one genre per game, or are games going to appear on multiple leaderboards? What about the games that are listed under a genre that doesn't really fit? There are lots of problems with that. XCOM:EU, for example, is listed as a Real Time Strategy game (why?), but XCOM 2 is not.

Personally, rather than a leaderboard, I think it'd be nice to simply be able to search for games by genre. You can technically do it now, but it requires finding a game that has the genre tag that you want (say, XCOM 1 for Real Time Strategy) and clicking on it. Then you can sort alphabetically (to group stacks) to find new games you want to play that are similar to the one you searched for.

It'd be even BETTER if we had a wish list or a checklist that we could add games to, so that I don't have to keep a notebook next to my computer with scribbles of every game I want to someday play. Actually, to go one step further, I'd really like the option to check games manually off the search menu. For example, I've already played Root Letter and I have no interest in the stacked versions, so it'd be great if I could just check a box to make them disappear from any future searches. Similarly, there are some games that I never want to play. Having the ability to filter out potentially hundreds of games would make it a lot easier to find something new and exciting to play, without having to slog through the same lists all the time.

Why does everything have to be about leaderboards?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

To be fair, if Far Cry 5 is anything like Far Cry 3, it's Shooter, Action and Adventure.

LEGO games are a mix. Sure, it's 3D top-down platformer first and foremost, usually with MP, but it's battle system is hack n slash-ish, though very simple and without all the RPG elements, and at some point it would probably have halfway been called Adventure too. Some could even argue 3D top down Puzzle Platformer, or collectathon.

KH is hack n slash, wikipedia describes it as action RPG, which it also is. Hack n slash refers more to the battle system.

Sure, hack and slash could apply to KH. That's not one of its tags here though, "fighter" is.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/24/2019 at 2:41 AM, Cassylvania said:

I like the idea (in fact, I'm pretty sure I suggested it in the other leaderboard topic...), but you still have the issue of where to draw the line. Is it one genre per game, or are games going to appear on multiple leaderboards? What about the games that are listed under a genre that doesn't really fit? There are lots of problems with that. XCOM:EU, for example, is listed as a Real Time Strategy game (why?), but XCOM 2 is not.

Personally, rather than a leaderboard, I think it'd be nice to simply be able to search for games by genre. You can technically do it now, but it requires finding a game that has the genre tag that you want (say, XCOM 1 for Real Time Strategy) and clicking on it. Then you can sort alphabetically (to group stacks) to find new games you want to play that are similar to the one you searched for.

It'd be even BETTER if we had a wish list or a checklist that we could add games to, so that I don't have to keep a notebook next to my computer with scribbles of every game I want to someday play. Actually, to go one step further, I'd really like the option to check games manually off the search menu. For example, I've already played Root Letter and I have no interest in the stacked versions, so it'd be great if I could just check a box to make them disappear from any future searches. Similarly, there are some games that I never want to play. Having the ability to filter out potentially hundreds of games would make it a lot easier to find something new and exciting to play, without having to slog through the same lists all the time.

Why does everything have to be about leaderboards?

It will be a cool feature thats why, e.g. I would like see where I rank in Australia for sports games.