Question for Multiple Platform Owners

TheBlaskar

I've recently found myself struggling to find the motivation to play games on other consoles that I have (N64, 360, PC, DS). GoldenEye 64, Gears of War, Bowser's Inside Story, etc. and a bunch of other acclaimed games on other platforms that I don't feel like playing because I like having everything in one place.

I want to be able to log onto one website and see all of my progress, PSNProfiles has been my go-to but I can't do that with Xbox and Nintendo as well. 

Recently, I noticed this again when trophy hunting in Far Cry New Dawn and heard about a Splinter Cell easter egg. I have all 6 splinter cell games on the Xbox and 360 and because of that, I still haven't played them.

Should I wait and hope for PS5 full backwards compatibility in order to purchase and play them all there, and have them on one console? Or should I quit complaining and just play the games on other consoles, even if I'll most likely end up beating them again on PS5 if that happens...?

Not really looking for anything in particular, just comments from people who may have had similar thoughts and what they decided to do

21 minutes ago, bschwarz95 said:

Should I wait and hope for PS5 full backwards compatibility in order to purchase and play them all there, and have them on one console? Or should I quit complaining and just play the games on other consoles, even if I'll most likely end up beating them again on PS5 if that happens...?

If you like to have everything in one console, why do you own several of them?

I would personally play them where you own then because you don't really know if BC on PS5 will happen nor if they will get all games avaiable. Some of the splinter cell games are xbox exclusive too.

6 minutes ago, maxijodi said:

If you buy a TV from Sony, do you await support from Samsung or Panasonic?

Sort of a non sequitur there; if Sony, Samsung and Panasonic all published blu-ray exclusives that could only be watched on their screens then that would be one thing, but a television is just a way to view content. 

• Like 1

I waited to replace my PS3 on the off chance that all the games I wanted to play on the PS3 were remastered for the PS4. I got lucky with a few of them (e.g. Dark Souls, Valkyria Chronicles), but I got tired of waiting for the rest (e.g. XCOM, Spec Ops: The Line, Mass Effect, etc.). If I were you, I wouldn't count on full backwards compatibility on the PS5. No matter how good of an idea it might be, or how stupid Sony would be for not implementing it, there's no guarantee that it will happen. In fact, I'm fully expecting a digital-only console where you're forced to repurchase any games you have on physical disc, because that's where the industry seems to be heading.

If that's too much of a non-answer, then I suggest focusing on the games that will never appear on the PS5, like...almost anything Nintendo-related.

6 minutes ago, bschwarz95 said:

Sort of a non sequitur there; if Sony, Samsung and Panasonic all published blu-ray exclusives that could only be watched on their screens then that would be one thing, but a television is just a way to view content. 

you ask on a PLAYSTATION trophy site for awards from other platforms ( N64, 360, PC, DS )......

And ask if they couldn't all work together??

Sorry if I ask: From which planet do you come from?

Well, to answer your final question, I think it's almost a given that it will be backwards compatible with the PS4 with all of the patents that have recently been coming out from Sony that heavily point in that direction. I wouldn't hold my breath for it to be backwards compatible with PS3 nor would I ever expect it to play PS2, or PS1 discs. Of course, everything is simply speculation at this point. It's best to keep your expectations low so you are not disappointed in the end IMO.

As to how to play games on each system without getting bored? Easy. I have a "role" for each one of my systems. My 3DS is used for when I am on the road or traveling, the PS3 is used for when the PS4 is occupied and to watch DVDs or blu-rays on, and the PS4 is the main console I play on the big screen. Maybe the reason why you are struggling is because you have no purpose or end goal when playing on other consoles, and therefore, lack motivation to play games at all on those systems. If you don't have the motivation to play on other systems, why not sell them? Gaming should not be a "struggle." Lol.

I play games on a few consoles; for playstation I have a PS3, 4 and Vita and use the trophies to keep me motivated since you use the same account across all consoles. In terms of other non-Sony systems like Nintendo, I just focus on the exclusives like Pokemon and Harvest moon, but keep my main gaming consoles on one brand line. Sony is my main, especially with the trophy aspect, and Nintendo is a side. 

Also keeping all your home consoles together under the TV so it doesn't feel like your playing a different console might help. I keep my ps3 and ps4 together so i can easily play whichever console

In terms of the PS5, it's definitely not going to be compatible with PS3 and below, but will most likely be with ps4 games. However, even if remasters were to come along, you may be waiting a while for them

On 2/23/2019 at 0:22 PM, Eyjabria said:

Do you use Backloggery? There you can record your progress and completion rates regardless of platform and find all your games in one place. Maybe using it or some similar service could help spark your interest in playing on multiple platforms again.

Very good advice if tracking your stats for all platforms in one place is really important to you. You'll have to input everything manually but it's definitely an awesome and useful website.

I've got several consoles in my house, and like many gamers (probably most of us?), each platform has its own backlog. So I almost never get rid of a console because I tell myself, "Self, one day you'll get around to playing Donkey Kong 64! So you can't disconnect the N64 from the basement TV yet, can you?"

I play most of my games on PS systems, with Nintendo systems supplementing for Nintendo exclusives. I grew up on Nintendo, and it's Nintendo's own first party franchises that keep me buying their systems. As long as Nintendo keeps releasing high-quality, mainline entry games with the words "Zelda", "Mario", and "Metroid" in the titles, I'll keep buying their consoles. (I'm disappointed that Metroid Prime 4 is restarting development, but I'd much rather wait for a high quality game than get a mediocre game). Additional high quality exclusive content (Octopath Traveler, Bayonetta 2, etc.) is always a nice bonus. I also appreciate that Nintendo, like Sony, seems committed to great single player games.

Systems currently connected to TV's in my house, in order of most used to least used:

1. PS4.

2. Switch. Great games from Nintendo, and being able to take big gaming experiences on the go is wonderful. An excellent system for my kids, too.

3. PS3. Still working on the backlog, and doing a fairly decent job of it.

4. Raspberry Pi. For the occasional retro backlog game. I finally played Chrono Trigger a mere 23 years after it was first released.

5. Nintendo 64. My son is discovering the first generation of 3D Mario and Zelda.

6. Nintendo Wii. I refuse to give up on a handful of Wii and GameCube games I bought but never got around to playing. Argh, backlogs everywhere!

7. PS2. It hasn't been used in forever, but I keep telling myself that one day I'll play the second and third games of the Xenosaga trilogy.

I also have a GameCube and original Xbox at my house, but they're not hooked up. I can use the Wii to play a GameCube game if I want, and well, I can't find any of my old Xbox games, so no point in connecting that either.

My NES is lost to time somewhere, and my SNES is still at my mom's house. The only Nintendo home console I've never owned is the Wii U. Like most of the rest of the world, I skipped that one. My son was also born around the same time it released, so gaming time was nonexistent for those years anyway.

Edited by ZitMeatloaf
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

I primarily play my Playstation systems (PS3, PS4 & PSVita) because I like seeing my trophy level rise. That being said, there are some amazing Nintendo exclusives for the Switch. My Switch was my primary "on the go" console but since I got into Trophy Hunting, the Vita comes out with me more often. Plus, my Vita is smaller and therefore easier to bring out and about. If Nintendo made some sort of online achievements/trophy ranking system that would invigorate my desire to play my Switch.

Achievements on Xbox would probably get me to play IF the system wasn't so aggravating to use. No matter how I set my preferences the games I try to play constantly need updates when I am about to play them & they take FOREVER to update (not sure why my OneX is slower than my PS4 Pro as they are both hardwired but it definitely is).'

To keep track of all of my trophies/achievements in close to one place I use TrueTrophies, TrueAchievements & TrueSteam as they all link together.

On 2/23/2019 at 2:41 PM, bschwarz95 said:

Not really looking for anything in particular, just comments from people who may have had similar thoughts and what they decided to do

The lacking cohesiveness between the platforms in regards to tracking stats/progress is one of the big reasons I stopped trophy/achievement hunting.  In my time with it, I was much more interested in the bigger picture than any individual game... so the bigger picture being all scattered and broken, untracked, etc was enough to encourage me to call it a day.

Now I do two things...

1 - As I mentioned, stopped trophy/achievement hunting.  Just play games to their natural ending points (whenever the credits roll) or doing whatever extra stuff feels right if I really enjoyed the game.  No need to obsess over tracking or concern myself with whether or not the games I play or the platforms I play them on support trophies/achievements.  And considerably less frustration in the sense of not being forced to play through glitchy games on broken difficulty settings. ?

2 - Do everything in my power to only buy physical copies of games.  Now instead of relying on lists sitting on a server somewhere to tell me what I have or what I've done... my shelf is my comprehensive, ever expanding list regardless of platform. :)