Bloodlust (10k kills) has to be done in a single save

QQQ_AX

A single save file must reach 10,000 kills. New playthroughs/reloading from earlier saves will have it's own internal counter from whatever number of kills you have at that time, thus it is missable and not cumulatively adding across playthroughs.

I was able to see how this trophy/achievement works, by looking at the Xbox version's achievement tracker.

After finishing a 60 hour playthrough, I had 10%.

After another playthrough going for Excalibur II, still 10% because it was a new save file starting from 0 kills.

Going back to an earlier save with the Steiner+Marcus turbo method, the kills are still not visibly adding to the tracker, until that save file catches up to the 10%, and exceeds it.

Edited by QQQ_AX

It's still not technically missable because you can do it at any point in the game. Progress just doesn't carry over. 

Though, what you said is true in the sense that it has to be under 1 saved file. The guide never really explicitly explains this though, so leave a comment there if you haven't already done so.

What makes this worse, is that you can beat the game, doing all the content, and be under 3k kills easy.  I don't mind kill X monsters, if there is enough content in the game to cause that many fights.

That said, this is a good point that it must all be done in one file, but as @Beyondthegrave07 stated, that doesn't mean it is missable.

You can also use a computer and remote play with a script to get it if you get bored running in circles...

Edited by Sir_Bee

Does anyone know if it's ok to auto-save by leaving the area while doing the Steiner method, and still have the Alexandrian soldiers chase you?

Because if the game closes, I will lose all progress and have to redo 90% of the trophy.

EDIT: I changed the topic title since it is technically not missable as said before.

Edited by QQQ_AX

The trophy isn't missable, 90% of games require you to do things on a single save file. I'm not sure why you think this would be an exception. 

I'll also never understand why people complain about trophies like these, the game has cheats and the majority of players used them unfortunately. The one trophy you can't cheat gets people upset because its so much work, it's just grinding and actually earning a trophy xD If the game didn't have cheats the platinum would be even more rarer. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Because they suck? Killing 10000 enemies, in a single save file, adds nothing to the game. It's not even good for leveling purposes, as killing so many enemies early on is inefficient use of time. There is no in-game reward whatsoever for killing all of these enemies. 

Basically, this is a trophy that is meant to keep you playing a game with no purpose. FFIX is one of my favorite games. This is certainly not one of my favorite activities.

However, I agree that "missable" is the wrong description for this trophy. "Annoying" "sucky" "poorly designed" "pooptacular" - these would be much better.

I can see your point but these trophies have never bothered me, mainly because most of the time it doesn't take that long to do. Plus since this game has cheats there isn't anything else in the trophy list to prove a challenge, you can also speed things up with auto battle and max damage. Most trophies are made for you keep playing a game but they're completely optional, no one needs to spend hours apon hours grinding if they don't want to. 

I have to agree with you, Final Fantasy IX is probably my favourite out of the series. ^_^

• Like 1

The trophy isn't "kind of missable", it's just not missable. However far you've progressed in the game, you can always still earn it, unless there's some way to get completely stuck and not be able to progress in the game, which I don't think there is, and you'd likely need to go way out of your way to accomplish, and this version even got cheats making me believe it's just impossible.

It's one of my absolute favorite games of all time, but I don't like what they did with the PS4 version. The cheats should have disabled trophies on that save, just like they do in some of the GTA games. It's a bit extreme with 10k kills. 2.5k or even 5k would have been way more reasonable. I also don't like the jump rope king trophy.  I love the Excalibur II trophy, but the entire fun with that trophy is ruined when you got in-game cheats. It could have been a trophy that pushed you to play the game in an entirely different way. The weapon itself was intended for this in the first place, to be some kind of reward for anyone able to speedrun the game that fast. A lot of games I'd hate to speedrun, but this is the kind of game that it's way more interesting to do so, and you could have saved on the way. You'd have to jump into technical stuff and gotten deep into how the game works. I'm sure people would have made guides etc and a lot of people would just try to do the same, but there would still be a lot of discussion on how to do it faster/easier/more reliable etc.

I like that you gotta do all kinds of side missions (except for the jump rope king). I'm glad there isn't a trophy for max possible card rank, which would have required all cards with all the different arrow combinations etc, as it'd be a bit extreme.

• Like 1

I just wanted to introduce a point that the trophy guide left out (tied to a single save), no need to dogpile me because the definition of 'missable' differs between everyone.

I only used that word as clickbait because '10k kills must be done in a single save file' didn't sound as important. Topic title changed.

Progress can be lost. If you finish a playthrough with whatever amount and expected it to carry over to future playthroughs, it doesn't. The guide didn't make this clear.

If you get 9999/10000 kills then power off at the Steiner grind, you lose all progress.

About the Steiner turbo method, it must be done in one go. If you try to leave the area to trigger an auto-save, it progresses to the 30 minute countdown section as Zidane.

Edited by QQQ_AX

21 hours ago, QQQ_AX said:

no need to dogpile me because the definition of 'missable' differs between everyone.

This is because "missable" is already well defined and established within trophy hunting, which is why the guide doesn't mention it. It's not missable if you can still earn it with a save from any point of the game. Is there any kind of point of no return, where if you can save, you can no longer get the trophy on that save? If the answer is no, then it's not missable.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

This thread is confusing me. Currently I'm rubber-banding on the Lost Continent. After a long-ish session I'm saving my progress, usually with a new save slot. Am I making progress or should I be overwriting saves? Or just doing it in one go? I don't fancy leaving my console on for 20 hours. :/

Edited by Asher1985

12 minutes ago, Asher1985 said:

This thread is confusing me. Currently I'm rubber-banding on the Lost Continent. After a long-ish session I'm saving my progress, usually with a new save slot. Am I making progress or should I be overwriting saves? Or just doing it in one go? I don't fancy leaving my console on for 20 hours. :/

It doesn't have to be done in one sitting and you don't have to save to the same save slot. The only thing that matters is that you kill 10k enemies in one playthrough.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DizzyDavidson said:

It doesn't have to be done in one sitting and you don't have to save to the same save slot. The only thing that matters is that you kill 10k enemies in one playthrough.

Great, thanks. That's what I've been doing. I really hope the PS5 has trophy stat tracking like I hear the X1 has.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/25/2020 at 5:26 AM, FulgidoLucio said:

I'm confused. Do I need to kill 10 thousands enemy in the same save file or just during one playthrough (multiple save files allowed)?

As someone above said, as long as it's all part of the same playthrough, you're fine.

I was going to make a split save at the Steiner Marcus part for this, but I forgot. So I guess I'll do end-game grinding. Not looking forward to it, but whatever. Although....

On 3/1/2019 at 1:27 PM, DocJackson- said:

People keep mentioning the Steiner method, but I still think the best option is starting a new game and grind at Evil Forest, after the Plant Brain boss fight. Non-stop battles vs 3-4 enemies almost every time.

This sounds promising.

• 6 months later...
On 1-3-2019 at 7:27 PM, GuerrerDaurat said:

People keep mentioning the Steiner method, but I still think the best option is starting a new game and grind at Evil Forest, after the Plant Brain boss fight. Non-stop battles vs 3-4 enemies almost every time.

It's a pretty good spot, and even at that spot you average to about 10 kills per minute.

Meaning one would need to farm for a rough 16 to 17 hours, which is insane.

• 1 year later...

So reloading an old save for the Jump Rope trophy or starting a new game for it won't mess up the Bloodlust counter when I go back to my later save then? I'm paranoid about this now, worried that rotating saves or loading old saves will mess something up.

Edited by bikeman223