Pokemon Sword & Pokemon Shield Announced for Nintendo Switch

Parker

Honestly, I'm fairly impressed. I'm glad the random battles are back and the Galar region looks pretty interesting. The game doesn't look like it is really pushing the Switch, but it does look good and that is all that really matters. I assume the traditional catching mechanics will return with these games as well. The fire and water starters look great, I'm not a big fan of the grass starter. 

So, what does everyone think about the next Pokemon games?

Parker

• Like 2

Looks like another "3DS pokémon". I'd have thought with them not being held back anymore with 3DS hardware they could've gone a different route with pokémon and expanded heavily on their formula. But from what i can see in the trailer it's just going to be a standard pokémon game. Which in itself isn't that bad, because they're fun games. It's just disappointing because you know they can do so much more with the switch.

Personally i'm kind of sad random encounters are back. That was one of the things i really liked in let's go and i hoped they'd keep it. Seeing the pokémons roam free on the map and choosing which one you'd battle was awesome imo. Now it's back to repel spam, if you don't want to fight every 5 seconds you run into grass ? 

2 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I thought about that, but I like how the words "sword", "shield", and "staff" all start with the letter "s" :lol: .

I dont think they will release a third version. Sun and moon dont have a third one either . I think they stopped with this "ultimate 3 version" stuff.

It looks great and all, but it's not a huge step from the Pokemon formula. Not that it needs too (since, the formula works well), but for the first mainline Pokemon game on home consoles, it looks like a polished take of the 3DS-style and nothing more. It's still gonna be a fun game regardless.

Is it just me, or does the starters look really bland?

2 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

AEW1tEV.png

XPtr5m6.png

Lol, someone was quick on the memes. Pokemon Staff when?

Edited by Golden Devil Gamer
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I haven't played a pokemon game since Pokemon Platinum, so this looks like a huge step up compared to that version.

Anyone else thinks the third game will be named Pokemon Staff?

I don’t think we’ll get a third game since we haven’t gotten one since Platinum released. xD

Looks great, day 1 buy for sure. My favorite starter is the water one which is good cause I always pick the water one. 

@Parker, Personally I am feeling the water lizard, but I like the grass monkey. However, I'm not feeling the fire rabbit, but I normally pick the Pokemon with the coolest final evolution since that's what we see the most so there's hope. Lol.

36 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I haven't played a pokemon game since Pokemon Platinum, so this looks like a huge step up compared to that version.

Anyone else thinks the third game will be named Pokemon Staff?

15 minutes ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

If there's a third version, I think it'll be called Pokemon Armour. 

22 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

How about pokemon bow?

Let's not get ridiculous now... It'll probably be enhanced versions called Holy Sword and Phantom Shield because if we learned anything from ORAS or Sun/Moon, it's that they like putting flashy titles in front of them! Haha. :P

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 3

The starters look like plastic Chinese knockoffs, I wish they'd start looking at more fan art for their designs. It strikes me that they've gone from 'cool for boys' that Pokemon originally was marketed as, to 'cutesy for kids'. Still, looking forward to seeing the evolved forms, they surely can't be worse than Sun/Moon.

I like that random encounters are back. My only hope is that the difficulty has been turned up a little and it doesn''t contain 10 hours of hand holding.

I would also like a rival that is actually mean again and a criminal organisation that is actually bad. But I accept that those things are probably never coming back. Can't have someone's precious little squeaker crying cause a guy in Pokemon said that they smell.

Otherwise it looks.. okay. Looking forward to seeing what the other trailers reveal.

16 minutes ago, Asvinia said:

Still, looking forward to seeing the evolved forms, they surely can't be worse than Sun/Moon.

I thought the Rowlet line was actually really cool, Decidueye is one of my favorite final starter evolutions. I wasn't a fan of the other starters in those games. 

@Beyondthegrave07 I'm waiting for the final evolutions to be revealed before I make a decision as well. So far I'm liking  Sobble the most, but I think Scorbunny could have a very interesting evolution line and moveset as well. 

I really hope this game will be compatible with the Pro controller. I enjoyed the Let's Go games but I would've enjoyed them so much more if I could've played them on my television with an actual controller, I despise the joy cons. 

Parker 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Parker said:

I thought the Rowlet line was actually really cool, Decidueye is one of my favorite final starter evolutions. I wasn't a fan of the other starters in those games.

I liked Rowlet, the rest of his line was okay.

Littern and Torracat were alright too.

But then Incineroar and that abomination of a sea lion.. no lol they were not okay.

Admittedly I disliked Oshawott/Tepig/Snivy far more. Serperior was cool though.

The female trainer and Kairi from Kingdom Hearts... twins seperated at birth? xD

I love the trainer designs. I don't really love the starters but, like in Alola, first forms aren't everything. Though I do not think anything can ever top the final evolutions of the Gen 7 starters. I mean, if that crazy Inceniroar got to be in Smash, there is no way in hell that these starters are going to top that. ;)

I like the setting, it reminds me of Agathe Christie and Conan Doyle, maybe the evil team is a gang of Pokemon murderers and we have to solve the mysteries of Pokemon getting murdered by them? xD Yeah, right. But I like the British Isles like Galar region and hope to see lots more. One thing ifs for sure, they ain't Square-Enix. (badiceburnforKingdomHearts3taking14yearsahemahem)

1 hour ago, Kent10201 said:

I don’t think we’ll get a third game since we haven’t gotten one since Platinum released. xD

Yeah, if anything, we might get an "Mega" Sword and "Mega" Shield release in 2021 similar to Ultra Sun/Moon or a sequel similar to Black/White 2. We don't know anything about the evil team or the gyms right now.

1 hour ago, Golden Devil Gamer said:

Lol, someone was quick on the memes. Pokemon Staff when?

Swords and shields have existed since the Bronze Age of mankind, Kingdom Hearts wasn't the first to adopt them.

ALL OF MY YES.

I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW.

GYMS ARE BACK.

NO ONE LIKED YOU ANYWAY TRIALS. GO AWAY FOREVER.

With that out of the way...

I'm a Final Fantasy fan so... Sword all the way. ?

My choice for the starter will likely either be the fire one or the water one. ?

So yeah... in case you couldn't already tell... I'm looking forward to this and it's already better than Gen. 7 with Gyms back. ?

Edited by SelectiveGamer

I'm a little down on this. The world looks fucking dead. I know how much people like random encounters but having Pokemon visible in the world was my favourite thing ever in a Pokemon game. I'd love some sort of mix between the two. It would make sense too, some are out, maybe they sometimes run into or out of the grass as you're walking up to them. That'd be cool. I feel like this series takes so long to move forward. As someone who's played every Pokemon game since the start, when I was a young boy. I would have thought we'd have more. It's one of the biggest franchise in the world. Look at some of the other massive series we all love. Still fire, water, grass over here in Pokemon land though. 

I wasn't expecting it this game, but are we ever getting the BoTW of Pokemon? I'm starting to think no.