DLC Confirmed for KH3

DEI2EK

Both Critical mode and a huge DLC are in the works according to an interview with Nomura

The sales for Kingdom Hearts III exceeded Square Enix and Nomura’s expectations. Nomura and the Kingdom Hearts 3 team is currently hard at work on the game’s DLC. Nomura is losing sleep because of it.

Critical Mode will be coming soon. It won’t be artificial difficulty like simply making enemies deal higher damage, but will rather include many changes, to the point that it needs debugging. It will be “fun like only Critical mode can be”.

Unlike previous games, Kingdom Hearts 3 won’t have a Final Mix version, and will instead receive new additions via DLCs. There will be both free and paid DLCs. Free DLCs will be released sporadically, but the paid DLC should all come together in a big pack. They’re trying their best to finish the paid DLC content soon and wish to release it before the end of 2019, and start working on the next game. Though Nomura is already fully booked with projects in 2019, so he doesn’t know when or what to do with the next Kingdom Hearts game yet.

You can read further below for more remarks from Nomura which contain story spoilers, ending included, so beware:

Spoilers within the link

https://www.dualshockers.com/kingdom-hearts-3-paid-dlc-critical-mode-confirmed-story-hints-nomura/

Edited by DEI2EK
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I was expecting Crit to be added as a patch. Here's hoping some new worlds will be in the big pack. And a fight against Sephiroth too. Oh and Coliseum matches. Let's not forget the option to enlarge the map. I really hope there won't be any mp DLC, like with FFXV.

I would take anything said by a Squeenix employee with a grain of salt. 

My personal predictions:

1. Critical difficulty will be exactly what it's always been ; enemies will hit harder and take longer to kill. You might also get your EXP nerfed.
  2. the rest of the DLC will be paid DLC, unless there's some Japanese voice work that wasn't included in the western release or something.
Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I would take anything said by a Squeenix employee with a grain of salt. 

My personal predictions:

1. Critical difficulty will be exactly what it's always been ; enemies will hit harder and take longer to kill. You might also get your EXP nerfed.
  2. the rest of the DLC will be paid DLC, unless there's some Japanese voice work that wasn't included in the western release or something.

NG+ will be free DLC ;)

BOOM. Two free DLCs :P

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I was expecting Crit to be added as a patch. Here's hoping some new worlds will be in the big pack. And a fight against Sephiroth too. Oh and Coliseum matches. Let's not forget the option to enlarge the map. I really hope there won't be any mp DLC, like with FFXV.

No, Sephiroth... go away.  Twice is enough for that guy, let someone else be a fight instead.  I mean, there's honestly not much else they can do with Sephiroth if he uses the same moveset yet again, cause it will just feel like a repeat of the KH2 fight against him.

But hey, if they were to change him up and all that, then sure, another boss fight against Sephiroth should be fine... I guess.

But I wouldn't mind an extra world or two to explore if that's the case.  Or any Data fights again, or anything along those lines.  So long as it's fresh.  Give me new Heartless or Nobody optional bosses.

31 minutes ago, DEI2EK said:

Both Critical mode and a huge DLC are in the works according to an interview with Nomura

The sales for Kingdom Hearts III exceeded Square Enix and Nomura’s expectations. Nomura and the Kingdom Hearts 3 team is currently hard at work on the game’s DLC. Nomura is losing sleep because of it.

Critical Mode will be coming soon. It won’t be artificial difficulty like simply making enemies deal higher damage, but will rather include many changes, to the point that it needs debugging. It will be “fun like only Critical mode can be”.

Unlike previous games, Kingdom Hearts 3 won’t have a Final Mix version, and will instead receive new additions via DLCs. There will be both free and paid DLCs. Free DLCs will be released sporadically, but the paid DLC should all come together in a big pack. They’re trying their best to finish the paid DLC content soon and wish to release it before the end of 2019, and start working on the next game. Though Nomura is already fully booked with projects in 2019, so he doesn’t know when or what to do with the next Kingdom Hearts game yet.

You can read further below for more remarks from Nomura which contain story spoilers, ending included, so beware:

Spoilers within the link

https://www.dualshockers.com/kingdom-hearts-3-paid-dlc-critical-mode-confirmed-story-hints-nomura/

there was already a post about it and in a related thread... so no need to create this... at least you could have mentioned or quoted, man... 

Whatever! 

Edited by Darpiom

Called it. It's definitely getting the FFXV treatment, and I blame people complaining. There's obviously chunks of the game missing thanks to the game being rushed out because people were complaining about it taking too long to come out. Had people been more patient, we would have gotten basic things like Critical mode at launch, and the overall experience would have been more complete. We likely would have gotten more extra content, instead of them having to fill out the holes in the story.

1 hour ago, ExHaseo said:

Called it. It's definitely getting the FFXV treatment, and I blame people complaining. There's obviously chunks of the game missing thanks to the game being rushed out because people were complaining about it taking too long to come out. Had people been more patient, we would have gotten basic things like Critical mode at launch, and the overall experience would have been more complete. We likely would have gotten more extra content, instead of them having to fill out the holes in the story.

waiting 14 years for a proper sequel is people being impatient? what planet are you from. instead of releasing spin offs on 10 different handhelds and consoles and instead of making everything so convoluted in the process, why not just explain everything in a trilogy instead of making people buy all sorts of different consoles to keep up with a story thats so horribly told?

they didnt rush kingdom hearts 3. square enix is doing what they do best, milk fans like you completely dry.

56 minutes ago, Erkawest said:

Well.. How fun will these DLCs be when most of us here are lvl 99 with max gear?

I bet it will be a different story with Lea, Kairi, or something like that and will probably be similar to Aqua's side story from 2.8. Aaand you'll be back to lvl 1! xD

I hope the DLC is some kind of Final Mix style add-on where they add an entire Radiant Garden world in the middle of the story, it felt odd not having that “intermission” KH-style world. Honestly it was disappointing only seeing Radiant Garden through cutscenes and only a small portion of Twilight Town. I feel it would be a lot more complete with that 

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

would have gotten basic things like Critical mode at launch

Critical has pretty much always been DLC. We were never going to get it at launch, ever.

Like it or not, the Final Mix stuff has always been pseudo DLC. Considering pretty much every Kingdom Hearts game ever has got the Final Mix expansion, it wasn't that hard to predict. Still don't know how you get "FFXV treatment" from one paid dlc but hey, you can look at it how ever you want lol.

1 hour ago, UlvenFenrir said:

waiting 14 years for a proper sequel is people being impatient? what planet are you from. instead of releasing spin offs on 10 different handhelds and consoles and instead of making everything so convoluted in the process, why not just explain everything in a trilogy instead of making people buy all sorts of different consoles to keep up with a story thats so horribly told?

they didnt rush kingdom hearts 3. square enix is doing what they do best, milk fans like you completely dry.

Really? What constitutes a "proper" sequel then? If only numbered entries count as "proper" sequels, there hasn't been a "proper" Assassin's Creed game since 4, and fans have been waiting 6 years for a "proper" sequel. Guess we're still waiting on the "proper" sequel to Batman Arkham Asylum too. It's been 10 years, and they've apparently only released spinoffs since then.

There also wasn't 14 years between KH games. They continued the story through other games, and had many proper sequels. They just didn't number them. It also makes perfect sense to put games on newer systems instead of old ones. It would have made no sense to keep putting games on the PS2, and instead they opted to go for handhelds, because handhelds were doing far better than consoles, and were easier to develop for. Especially when talking about the PS3. Also, it wasn't on 10 systems. It was on the PS2, then the DS, then the PSP, and then 3DS. Because that was the progression of consoles. They also put every game on PS3 and then the PS4 in the years leading to KH3. Which is another reason that development on 3 was rushed. Since 3D came out in 2012 (only a year before KH3 was announced), they had to remake the first game from the ground up because they lost the source code a long time ago, remade models and textures for some games, created movies for the DS games, and put them out on PS3, and then improved them and put them out on PS3. They also created an entirely new small game with 0.2, an entirely new movie with Back Cover, and had to rework a lot of 3D to work on PS4. They essentially made and released 5 remasters, a new game, 3 new CG movies, and an entirely new game in 6 years. That's a ridiculous amount of work that all came out very quickly. As for the story, it's not surprising you don't understand it. You're obviously not very bright.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

Critical has pretty much always been DLC. We were never going to get it at launch, ever.

Like it or not, the Final Mix stuff has always been pseudo DLC. Considering pretty much every Kingdom Hearts game ever has got the Final Mix expansion, it wasn't that hard to predict. Still don't know how you get "FFXV treatment" from one paid dlc but hey, you can look at it how ever you want lol.

Critical Mode was only a FM thing for KH2 and for the Japanese version of BBS. We got Critical mode was built into BBS when it was released world wide. Even if you really don't want to count that, the last three games released (Coded, 3D, and 0.2) all had it as a standard. So really, it's been a standard mode much longer than it's been a FM thing.

Also, you should actually read the article. It says, "There will be both free and paid DLCs. Free DLCs will be released sporadically, but the paid DLC should all come together in a big pack." Sounds exactly like FFXV to me. They did sporadic free updates to the game, and had bigger paid DLC packs. Only difference here, is that FFXV had more than 1 DLC pack. Both games were released incomplete and are going to have pieces gradually into the game through small sporadic updates until they're actually complete. It's the same whether you want to admit it or not.

Hell, I was gonna play through a second time anyway after I get the plat but now there'll be even more incentive! I really liked the game, about as much as any of the other games not titled 'Kingdom Hearts II' (which is the only entry that I love). Did it have shortcomings? I guess so, but no matter what came out it would have gotten picked apart for not having this or for doing that "wrong", in this day and age everyone considers themselves a critic (whilst also, paradoxically enough, deriding actual critics). Everyone has their opinion but in mine it was great and I'm excited for what comes next, DLC and new games alike

Edited by LepreCon91
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

Critical Mode was only a FM thing for KH2 and for the Japanese version of BBS. We got Critical mode was built into BBS when it was released world wide. Even if you really don't want to count that, the last three games released (Coded, 3D, and 0.2) all had it as a standard. So really, it's been a standard mode much longer than it's been a FM thing.

Also, you should actually read the article. It says, "There will be both free and paid DLCs. Free DLCs will be released sporadically, but the paid DLC should all come together in a big pack." Sounds exactly like FFXV to me. They did sporadic free updates to the game, and had bigger paid DLC packs. Only difference here, is that FFXV had more than 1 DLC pack. Both games were released incomplete and are going to have pieces gradually into the game through small sporadic updates until they're actually complete. It's the same whether you want to admit it or not.

Comparing a game that's getting 1 paid dlc to one of the most over milked games ever made is a stretch and you know it lol. Pretty much every major game gets free updates now days. That's par for the course.