Anyone else get extremely stressed out while trophy hunting sometimes?

iGGTheEnd

So lately I have been getting very stressed out if something isn't going my way when trophy hunting,  I know its stupid but I just can't help it.  I have been trying to go for some UR's lately because the rest of my plats are %20+ except for a select few.  But now that I am trying for Ultra rares I get very stressed like I just wasted 40-50 plus hours and I will never be able to achieve it and I could have had 2 other plats with the time I wasted.  

Currently I am trying to plat Defenders quest and I am so close to the end but the last few levels just feel impossible to me which gets worse because I can play a level for over an hour and end up failing it at the end.

If you do get stressed sometimes from trying for plats which games were the worst for you?

Edited by iGGTheEnd
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, iGGTheEnd said:

So lately I have been getting very stressed out if something isn't going my way when trophy hunting,  I know its stupid but I just can't help it.  I have been trying to go for some UR's lately because the rest of my plats are %20+ except for a select few.  But now that I am trying for Ultra rares I get very stressed like I just wasted 40-50 plus hours and I will never be able to achieve it and I could have had 2 other plats with the time I wasted.  

Currently I am trying to plat Dungeon Defenders and I am so close to the end but the last few levels just feel impossible to me which gets worse because I can play a level for over an hour and end up failing it at the end.

If you do get stressed sometimes from trying for plats which games were the worst for you?

I get stressed a lot as well.   When I playing zen pinball  I was stressed    a lot  dungeon good but servers closed made it harder 

For me it was Super Exploding Zoo. I found someone who wanted to boost a certain trophy with me. I got it, but it was just not working for him. I was stressed out because he only sent text messages with broken English, and he had a hard time understanding what I was trying to say to him. We spent a good 2 hours and it finally worked! I was so relieved.

• Like 2

stress either boosts determination or makes things worse. though i just keep at it and not give up (which is why i always take a look at difficulty first) so it's something i know i can finish.

though in extremely rare cases i will actually ditch the game.

Edited by kingdrake2

i got stressed for uncharted 2 & 3 dlc. i'm stressed right now for far cry 2 and dj hero 2, but i always keep in mind that i have to do this shit only one time in my life, and the trophy is mine forever.

However... yeah, i was thinking about "hey, why are you boosting this trophies for MONTHS when you can do i.e god of war ascension platinum?" the answer is that i enjoy doing trophies for games that i like, so doing online trophies the fastest i can, let me have a greatest 100% on my profile. That satisfaction is the best reason for this waste of time (because yeah, kill and let others kill you over and over again it's a really waste of time).

The really time-thraser are the easy platinums of games you don't like but you play only for the trophies.

• Like 1

Yes. I remember playing Tomb Raider (2013) with my nose stuck in a trophy guide, on the lookout for the particular encounters that were the best situations to shoot enemies off ziplines, or cause an enemy to drop dynamite to kill two others, or to shoot a bundle of dynamite out of the air, and remember stressing that I needed to pay attention because I had one shot at this so I could get these trophies in one playthrough. I promised myself that if I could do that, then I'll play the game again just for fun without having to worry about getting trophies, like I usually do.

Let me say that again, I was playing games once for the trophies and once for fun. It took me till late 2016 to cut that shit out.

• Like 3

Oh definitely. Many times it feels like a chore or a job I don't get paid for than it does a fun hobby. KH3 came along and broke that trend because I genuinely was having fun with it, but sometimes games I enjoy to some degree become a hassle because I focus so much on the trophies than I do actually enjoying it.

The two main offenders for me right now are Guilty Gear Rev and Laser League. Neither of these are hard, but I just don't seem to have the patience to go through the effort of "effortlessly" doing what I need just to knock the online trophies out of the way anymore, especially since I feel it's sucking up way to much of my life as it is.

6 minutes ago, RedRodriguez87 said:

Oh definitely. Many times it feels like a chore or a job I don't get paid for than it does a fun hobby. KH3 came along and broke that trend because I genuinely was having fun with it, but sometimes games I enjoy to some degree become a hassle because I focus so much on the trophies than I do actually enjoying it.

The two main offenders for me right now are Guilty Gear Rev and Laser League. Neither of these are hard, but I just don't seem to have the patience to go through the effort of "effortlessly" doing what I need just to knock the online trophies out of the way anymore, especially since I feel it's sucking up way to much of my life as it is.

I think part of it for me is theres nothing I really want to play right now,  with my current game Dungeon Defenders I originally wanted to play it because I was looking for a turret defense game and I enjoyed it until NG+ where theres so much shit going on that the FPS drops to like 1 fps haha.  I am very excited for Sekiro to come out, its the only game I have wanted to play for months and I am going to put off hunting trophies at all on my first playthrough and only get the ones that come naturally so it doesn't stress me out.

22 minutes ago, Demon--Prototype said:

I feel your pain, but this is a hobby so it shouldn't be stressing you out mate.

When i go for UR's, i always pick games i know i'll love, so the challenge is actually enjoyable (With the exception of Surgeon Simulator, fuck that game)

Ya my only UR is in my favorite game that game out last year Dead cells but it doesn't really count because the EU version is at %6, I should probs stay away from ultra rares unless I know for a fact I will love the game.

Just Cause 3 was pretty bad because of how wonky the driving and flying controls and physics were when doing the challenges. Pretty much the slightest mistake could basically cost you a run and having to sit through the loading screens was a pain. I would have to be extra cautious not to hit a curb too hard or accidentally touch a hitbox while using the wingsuit and the looming threat of those loading screens didn't help at all.

Other than that pretty much anything involving a speed run without any kind of special item or something stress me out because I hate being pressured to hurry and finish something without at least some form of NG+ gear. I felt Shadow of the Colossus did it pretty well since you can use a special weapon to unlock in order to fight the Colossus' (Colossi?) easier if you do the challenge modes.

Along with that I suppose big gauntlet/challenge modes that are either extremely picky or just difficult for artificial reasons like not being able to heal or use items etc. especially if they have a timer or some kind of strict score to go with. I could go on with some examples but I don't want to make this a bigger post than it already is.

And while I don't think I could say it really stressed me out (or I guess in some way it did), with Yakuza 0 I wound up feeling really overwhelmed with all the stuff you had to do to where I took a break from it for about a year. But when I went back to it I wound up knocking things off one by one and I eventually got the Platinum and it felt pretty good.

Basically I make it a point to at least Platinum something that I'll at least consider to be fun. There's really not much point in going through something that will be more stressful than enjoyable. It certainly helps to take a break (although a year long break like I did with Yakuza 0 is a bit much). For me at least it's hard to ignore that pressure of "Will I ever actually get back to it?" but every now and then you'll get back to something and be glad you did. It might even make you appreciate the game more like I did with Yakuza 0.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RedRodriguez87 said:

Man when I saw Lazer league I thought man that's an easy UR,  then I played 1 game and knew there was no way I could force myself to go for that plat.

2 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

And while I don't think I could say it really stressed me out (or I guess in some way it did), with Yakuza 0 I wound up feeling really overwhelmed with all the stuff you had to do to where I took a break from it for about a year. But when I went back to it I wound up knocking things off one by one and I eventually got the Platinum and it felt pretty good.

Ya I get that,  not as hard but I ended up going back to Uncharted Lost legacy over a year later to finish it up,  it was the first game that I have actually gone back to instead of completely ditching and it felt pretty good.  Made me feel like I didn't just waste $40 on a game to do an 8 hour playthrough and be done with it.

I feel that for sure. There have been so many moments where it felt like I was wasting time that could have been spent doing something else whenever I continuously lose at a game for hours. So lately, for me, I just only try to trophy hunt when I know that I have the rest of my life in some sort of order lol. I get way more stressed out trophy hunting when there are other things in my life that need addressed, and all that time going for an UR could have been spent fixing those things.

But yeah going for any UR is stressful. That's why they are UR. Not a lot of people want to do it.

6 minutes ago, iGGTheEnd said:

Ya I get that,  not as hard but I ended up going back to Uncharted Lost legacy over a year later to finish it up,  it was the first game that I have actually gone back to instead of completely ditching and it felt pretty good.  Made me feel like I didn't just waste $40 on a game to do an 8 hour playthrough and be done with it.

Completely agree it feels great to finish off games you have dropped off of for months or years. I've been trying to go back and complete backlog games recently as well, for ages I was buying way more games than I ever had time to play. I haven't been going after very difficult games but I've since gone back and completed far cry primal, pixejunk shooter ultimate and detroit become human long after I had last touched them, trying to continue that trend with persona 5 and shadow of war at the moment.

In relation to the stressed out part of the topic, I try to not force myself into certain games or scenarios, and try to avoid getting stressed with a lack of progress, a lot of the time I'll just hop online with friends and play some multiplayer games I've already completed, or something recent like apex legends which is a lot of fun, basically I play what I feel like I will enjoy at the time, whilst keeping some goals and plats in the pipeline.

7 minutes ago, iGGTheEnd said:

Yeah, it feels nice to do that. It's a pretty terrible feeling playing a game that you spent like $40-$60 and just didn't like it and never go back to it. I got so put off by the story of Killer is Dead I didn't want to play it a second time, let alone Platinum it. And Bound by Flame while I suppose compared to other stuff isn't really the worst thing ever (though still pretty bad) I couldn't even finish it.

i only get stressed when trophies feel unfair

i platted GoW1 last night, and Challenge #10 took me a few hours and had me raging like a sperg because it's mostly RNG-based

whereas for something harder like SMB, i'll be calm as a Hindu cow because it never feels like i'm getting screwed over. and it's fun to play