Anyone else get extremely stressed out while trophy hunting sometimes?

iGGTheEnd

2 hours ago, iGGTheEnd said:

If you do get stressed sometimes from trying for plats which games were the worst for you?

Definitely Wolfenstein 2 which needed a no deaths run on the hardest setting with no saves or checkpoints. My successful attempt took about 6 hours (split over 3 days with PS4 on standby over night) playing at a pace I was comfortable with. On one of my runs, before I finally completed it, I died two areas before the end despite having practised that area about 10 times and being super confident I knew what to do. But I took a few days off and got it a few attempts later.

Also Metal Gear Rising Revengance was pretty hard. Many of the VR missions required certain RNG events to occur so even if you did everything perfectly you still may not get the required time. 

1 hour ago, Demon--Prototype said:

I feel your pain, but this is a hobby so it shouldn't be stressing you out mate.

I agree, the process should be enjoyable. You can't have the huge high of getting those Ultra rares without the lows / stress of getting your butt kicked over and over. Mastering the game and its mechanics slowly, getting better with each attempt should be enjoyable.

I initially bought Wolfenstein 2 thinking I would never get the platinum as I am a fan of the series. 6 months later I thought i'd give the platinum a crack. The process of research and practising tactics, memorising number of enemies and spawn locations and my many, many attempts at this, although at times stressful, was very fun.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DEI2EK said:

I find myself stressing more about the fact that there are so many games I want to play but I’ll never be able to play all of them, so I buy them and they sit and accumulate dust on my shelf

I can relate to this. I usually buy games from bargain bin and digital sales, but by the time I have finished (or got to as close as possible to finish/plat game) single game, I have bought 3 or more games. 

Stressing out on trophy hunting is somewhat issue for me to. I occasionally wonder why I keep playing Neverwinter and Eso mmo's instead of other games. And after playing other games for some time, I find myself back on playing Eso and Neverwinter daily. 

• Like 1

I can relate to that as well actually. Can't really remember when it started but from time to time going for trophy hunting seems like a chore and negatively influences my overall experience with a game. Instead of having fun with one of my favorite hobbies, I spend a lot of times reading about requirements and road maps.

For instance, I was really enjoying South Park: The Stick of Truth until I've messed up and missed a collectable....after realizing the mistake my perception of the game changed immediately ?even though it was all my fault. Luckily, after some time passed, I was able to appreciate the game as it is again! 

At the moment, Im just playing what I want and do not yet choose my games based on trophies. Trying to find a good balance between work, family (gf), outdoor sports and gaming, there's really no reason to put yourself through something that will be more stressful than enjoyable.

Some of you have read this topic I made because I posted it here a few months ago. It's a good read and has some good advice if you're been stressed out trophy hunting.

After I finish off some "hard" challenges like Super Meat Boy, Vanquish's Challenge 6, Dead Space 2's Hard Core mode I think I'm just going to hang up the idea of going after a hard platinum just because it's impressive.

I will never be like lilpain97, Floriiss, GrannyTranny, TheYuriG, KaKrackle, Danny_Johansen, SlimSanta94 or some of those other guys who somehow manage to complete a fuckton of extremely difficult platinums like Atari Flashback Classics Vol 2, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Badland or do some extremely difficult platformer like VVVVVV or Spelunker. That's when trophy hunting turns from a fun hobby into a complete chore.

I have all the respect for those guys because they are a minority in a minority. But doing that shit regularly just isn't for me.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I will never be like lilpain97, Floriiss, GrannyTranny, TheYuriG, KaKrackle, Danny_Johansen, SlimSanta94 or some of those other guys who somehow manage to complete a fuckton of extremely difficult platinums like Atari Flashback Classics Vol 2, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Badland or do some extremely difficult platformer like VVVVVV or Spelunker. That's when trophy hunting turns from a fun hobby into a complete chore.

You can do about everything you want if you put your mind into it. I personally play because I'm aiming to achieve some personal goals and push my limit again and see how far I can get this time. Some people play for fun, others play for leaderboards and that's all fine. The issue is only when people go WAY out of their comfort zone and they keep pushing even though the experience is turning into a torture for them, which I suspect to be the OP's case. Sometimes you just gotta understand that shit ain't for you and you need to stop.

Edited by TheYuriG
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, iGGTheEnd said:

So lately I have been getting very stressed out if something isn't going my way when trophy hunting,  I know its stupid but I just can't help it.  I have been trying to go for some UR's lately because the rest of my plats are %20+ except for a select few.  But now that I am trying for Ultra rares I get very stressed like I just wasted 40-50 plus hours and I will never be able to achieve it and I could have had 2 other plats with the time I wasted.  

The question is, what is it that motivates you to go for UR platinums? I mean they are UR for a reason, and most often than not you will hit a wall. It's like @TheYuriG says, with determination you can get past that wall. Now, if overcoming the challenge feels rewarding to you, and that feeling is stronger than the frustration of being stuck, then I guess that can be motivation enough to keep trying. But if at the end of the day you are just like "fuck me, I'm finally done" once you achieve that UR plat, then what's the point?

I also think it's important to go into a UR game knowing that it might take a while. If you start, say, I am Bread expecting to be done within a week, that only adds to the frustration. 

And sure, you could have done 2+ plats in the 40-50h that it took you to get an UR plat. But what feels more rewarding to you? It's totally subjective, and there are many ways to trophy hunt. Find your own! Personally, I aim at completing everything I start, but I only start what I'm really interested in and don't care about having a high number of platinums. I probably will never go for something like Trackmania Turbo or Surgeon Simulator, not because I think I wouldn't manage, but because I don't think I would have a lot of fun playing those games. 

• Like 2

I get extremely stressed out... simply by existing.

Joking aside, I think I physically hurt myself while playing some of the God of Wars. The rage almost stopped my heart. I think I'd rather live than complete a bullshit segment in a random game.

Edited by fbdbh

yeah I'm definitely getting way too stressed out and angry sometimes, just yesterday when I finally finished of the fucking Score Attacks in Tomb Raider. It wasn't difficult, but the combination of having to keep up a combo and also sometimes not die during a level etc was the worst for me. I alwqys had to stop after 2-3 levels because I just couldn't take it anymore, it took out all the fun I had with the game. I generally don't like time pressure and speedrunning at all, especially if the controls aren't made for it.

What I usually do if I encounter something like that is have a Zen like easy game on the side. This time it was Lego Marvels super heroes. For me roaming around a big map and easily scraping up stuff is so relaxing that it helps me go back to the tougher or more tedious things. 

• Like 2

If you get stressed out to the point of self-harm or destruction of controllers/headsets then gaming clearly isn't for you.

The key is taking breaks when needed. When I get stressed I just take either a few hours break or a week break and get back into it, most of the time it works and I get out of the slump easily, other times (I'm looking at you Assassins Creed Revalations dlc) I've had to take 6 months break.

Driveclub right now is stressing me lots. Just the feeling of doing the perfect career and crashing the last moment, and watching your 11 rivals taking your position, UGH.

I wouldn't have that feeling if I just wanted to play, but ofc I need to get stars to get the trophies.

3 hours ago, Hunter226037 said:

I get stressed out when I fail at a trophy mainly due to time constraints. I don't have enough time in a day to constantly fail at things over and over. Basically my stress from trophy hunting comes from having limited time in a day.

Same here, with work I have limited time. The other night I was playing Metro Exodus, didn't go to sleep even though I should. Played for five hours, game glitched,had to restart, didn't get any trophy, didn't move on, didn't sleep. Almost threw the game through balcony from 5th floor :D 

Not really to be honest. I've had times where I had issues with trophies, but I never thought I couldn't do it. Just gave it a bit of time to get used to the game and comfortably make it. If the time comes where I do meet a game where I just can't do something, that's fine too. We often can't beat all challenges thrown in front of us. That experience in itself is valuable enough. For me, I come from a background in gaming that isn't oldschool at all. My first online experience was Resistance Fall of Men, I played some Crash Bandicoot, some Tekken and that was about the extent of my youth when it comes to video games. So it's nice to play a different variety of games and try to do well. But it's not the end of the world if you can't do it. Who cares, really but yourself if something is too much?

Edited by STARLOVE

4 hours ago, DEI2EK said:

I find myself stressing more about the fact that there are so many games I want to play but I’ll never be able to play all of them, so I buy them and they sit and accumulate dust on my shelf

i miss being a college student and having all the time in the world to myself

PREACH

I'm currently browsing here whilst at work. I work 8-5 Monday to Friday wishing I could be home trophy hunting and making progress on my completion percentage. Oh to be a student again.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, STARLOVE said:

I had issues with trophies, but I never thought I couldn't do it.

That's the spirit and main point for success!!

when you did it, Always the satisfaction feeling pays off everything you've been through.. I remember the thrill when I earned Meticulous Collector of Shadow of the Colossus - PS3 3 years ago! 

The harder it is, it gets more valuable and unforgettable 

The only letdown for me is lack of time to play all other games.. 

Edited by Darpiom
some little additions
  • Like 1

I only get annoyed when shabby programming or lazy game design causes frustration or the odds being stacked against me. Like rubberband AI in racing games, too much time between checkpoints in a shooter, random spawns, etc. When a game is hard but fair, then it is almost always fun as well. Then I am never frustrated even when I have to try something 100 times over. I will have fun while I do it knowing that at some point I will get it.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb

For me stress is part of the fun, it makes it feel like an accomplishment when you achieve, makes it worthwhile.

The only stress that bothers me is time. I own 131 excellent games I haven't yet played, I want to get 100% on all of them, I've forecast it will take 16 years which of course will never happen.

I feel I can accomplish anything in a game if I put my mind to it but I just don't have the time to do it. It's a hard fact to face.

• Like 1

I think it depends a lot on what kind of stress we're talking about.  It can be good or bad.

Good stress:  You're not really pressuring yourself, the stress is just coming from the game's difficulty.  It's kicking your ass, perhaps unfairly even, but you still want to keep going.  "Just give me one more chance and this time I'll get it."  You still believe in yourself even if it looks like it's not going to work out right now.  It's OK to keep failing and trying.  It's OK to stop for a while and do something else too.  That's good.  You can do a lot with this kind of stress.

Bad stress:  You're putting the pressure on yourself.  Maybe you want to prove something.  Maybe you're looking at what someone else is doing and you're getting jealous.  Maybe you'll think negative things about yourself if it's not going well right now.  Whatever.  This is to be avoided if you can.  It's not doing you any good to do things this way.  Learn how to be nicer to yourself!

I used to have a lot of problems with the 2nd kind years ago (not really related to gaming), but thankfully not lately.  I doubt I could have done most of the harder games I've done if I was still using that approach.  And I probably would have felt absolutely terrible about that too. :P

• Like 3

Having a stressful full time job and finding a balance between that and trophy hunting can be hard. I've often planned what games I am going to play when I get home from work, but often when I have the chance to play I feel unmotivated and tired. if a game is getting the better of me. I just lose patience and turn off the PS4. 

I look at other people's PSN profiles who have more trophies than me and I feel like I'm trying to prove myself to them, when in reality nobody but yourself gives a shit how many plat's or overall trophies you have. 

• Like 1

I don't really specifically go for rare trophies. The last UR I got, is UR mostly because it takes long and the mission guide for it is both incomplete and wrong. Even technically easy games can suddenly become a lot more consuming when no one tells me what to do and this can happen with games that aren't even UR. In the end it just depends on the feel of progress and that drive to turn on a game day after day.

6 hours ago, DEI2EK said:

i miss being a college student and having all the time in the world to myself

I hear a lot about how college students have all this spare time but honestly Im not seeing it. Working part time and college work basically puts me in the same boat with too many games and not enough time.

If its that bad then play something else, usually you can go back to the harder games. Missable trophies are the most stressful next to online, the thought of having to waste time for a whole new playthrough just for a single trophy is the worst (like those no kill playthroughs ughhhh). Maybe consider going for easier UR trophies?

Some people get a kick out of the challenge, others feel smothered by it. If you're in the second group, don't try to force yourself to be on the first one.

I only go for ultra hard stuff if I really feel like it, and of all the ones I got, which are not that many, I never felt I was wasting time or getting too worked up about them. I also gave up on some, like the combo challenges on UMVC3, and that's fine.

Just don't take any of this too seriously, learn to give up if it stresses you out and you'll be fine.

Edited by fabmorais_2011

No I wouldn't say I ever get 'stressed out' from playing a video game. I've done some pretty difficult things to get trophies and found that if you play something for long enough you will definitely get good enough to beat it which is why I think playing games that you enjoy, or more importantly that you don't dislike or get irritated by gives you enough power to overcome any challenging aspect of the game. A lot of things can seem impossible at first but if you get some kind of enjoyment out of it then all you have to do is stick with it. 

I also find that if you're not making any progress after many hours of playing, just put the game down and don't play it again after you've has a sleep where your brain can process things and and then you'll feel fresh and ready to try again. I also really don't recommend playing/switch between any other games (contrary to what others are saying) when going for something difficult and just purely focus all my attention on the one game as your brain and body won't get confused and be fully adjusted to how the one game plays/works with the more skill the game requires, the more important this is. An example is with need for speed gold prestige; if you were to play a different racing game inbetween you will just mess yourself up and you'll have to spend even more time to get to where you were and you'll just make it harder for yourself. I like to get it over as quickly as possible as you don't want to keep trying and playing the same thing for months or years, you just have to go for it and make it a priority.

So yeah I avoid stress by either abandoning the game completely or just leave the game for the day if I'm invested but making no progress. I also tend to play easier games after completing a hard one for a break but only play games I am actually interested in that I can genuinly see myself having fun with.