If there was no Kingdom Hearts "4"

Phlegeth

I brought this up in another forum and that other topic made me want to make it here too.  What if there was no 4 and they stuck with subtitles from now on?

Everyone calls them spinoffs and don't play them and get mad when they don't know what's going on.  And it lead to some sloppy writing.  So yeah, I'd be happier if they stuck to subtitles from now on.

And since someone will bring it up.  I know they won't.  They made bank off of it because it was a numbered release.  This is purely hypothetical.

Edited by Ilzaki

I think the numbering made sense, for this saga at least.

Spoiler

Being the Xehanort saga, all of the games may indeed be relevant - and the people complaining that the story don't make sense because they skipped some very important games are quite dumb - but 1, 2 and 3 were all very big milestones in the saga.

1 had you facing Xehanort's heartless - Ansem. 2 had you face Xehanort's nobody - Xemnas. This brings him back to life for KH3, where after all this time you finally face his somebody in the final battle.

Sure, you fight his somebody in BBS too, but that goes pretty poorly lol.

As long as the numbering continues to signify big milestones in the next saga, I think it's fine.

2 hours ago, Ilzaki said:

Everyone calls them spinoffs and don't play them and get mad when they don't know what's going on.  And it lead to some sloppy writing.  So yeah, I'd be happier if they stuck to subtitles from now on.

People say this, but it's an unfair criticism. It's like saying that a Star Wars movie can incorporate minutiae of the EU, because after all, people should have read those spinoff books!

If Square wants people to play the spinoffs to understand the mainline games, that's dumb.

And since someone will bring it up.  I know they won't.  They made bank off of it because it was a numbered release.  This is purely hypothetical.

It's exactly what I think as well. Further, while I think KH is selling well, I don't think there's any way whatsoever that they'll sell all of their shipped copies. JRPGs always have poor legs.

And, since you asked the original question:

I brought this up in another forum and that other topic made me want to make it here too.  What if there was no 4 and they stuck with subtitles from now on?

It would be fine by me, particularly if I'm expected to have played all of their spinoffs to understand their mainline title. 

That being said, I have NOT played KH3, so I don't know how the spinoffs (many of which I have played) figure into the plot. I do remember that the plot of KH2 was an absolute mess, though the game was excellent.

7 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

People say this, but it's an unfair criticism. It's like saying that a Star Wars movie can incorporate minutiae of the EU, because after all, people should have read those spinoff books!

If Square wants people to play the spinoffs to understand the mainline games, that's dumb.

It's exactly what I think as well. Further, while I think KH is selling well, I don't think there's any way whatsoever that they'll sell all of their shipped copies. JRPGs always have poor legs.

And, since you asked the original question:

It would be fine by me, particularly if I'm expected to have played all of their spinoffs to understand their mainline title. 

That being said, I have NOT played KH3, so I don't know how the spinoffs (many of which I have played) figure into the plot. I do remember that the plot of KH2 was an absolute mess, though the game was excellent.

I think the dumbest thing they did was releasing all the spinoffs on different consoles. I mean before the HD releases you had to own a bunch of different consoles (from different companies) to know what the fuck was going on.

Also this is Kingdom Hearts even with all the games most people still have no idea what the fuck is going on because Kingdom Hearts isn't written well. 

12 minutes ago, madbuk said:

You don't need to be a genius to comprehend what's going on in KH if you've played all the games, lol.

There aren't any "spin-offs". AC Brotherhood wasn't a spin-off just because it's not numbered. Revelations wasnt a spin off. Unity wasn't. etc.

Exactly this. Just because a title doesn’t end with a number doesn’t mean it’s not just as important. If you play all the games in order it’s not hard to comprehend. 

The releasing on different consoles argument would’ve been understandable a couple of years ago but with all of the games on PS4 now there’s really no excuse for not playing them and expecting for 3 to rehash 9 other games worth of story. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, madbuk said:

You don't need to be a genius to comprehend what's going on in KH if you've played all the games, lol.

There aren't any "spin-offs". AC Brotherhood wasn't a spin-off just because it's not numbered. Revelations wasnt a spin off. Unity wasn't. etc.

I am not saying you need to be a genius...it is just not well written. 

The main plot is fine but once you start getting into the 3 dozen samey characters you tend to get a little confused. I have played through 1 and 2 and I made it to the end with a gist of what is happening but if you were to ask me what any of the organizations names or motivations were I would have no idea.

Also all the Disney worlds really are set pieces as they don't actually connect to the main plot thread and if you were to switch any of them out with an entirely different movie...it wouldn't matter in the slightest. 

42 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I am not saying you need to be a genius...it is just not well written. 

The main plot is fine but once you start getting into the 3 dozen samey characters you tend to get a little confused. I have played through 1 and 2 and I made it to the end with a gist of what is happening but if you were to ask me what any of the organizations names or motivations were I would have no idea.

Also all the Disney worlds really are set pieces as they don't actually connect to the main plot thread and if you were to switch any of them out with an entirely different movie...it wouldn't matter in the slightest. 

Yes this is my biggest issue with KH. The Disney shit is such a borefest, I wish they'd just remove it entirely in the next game (apart from the Disney characters that actually matter like Donald and Goofy). You get into a Harry Potter situation where nothing of particular importance occurs until the end of the book - but in Harry Potter, the rest of the book is fun because the characters are so great and Hogwarts is such a great setting that even though nothing is really progressing, it's still a good time.

In KH2/3/DDD nothing really happens until the end, like in Harry Potter, but the journey to the end is bogged down by bad retellings of Disney movies instead of anything fun or interesting.

11 minutes ago, AiManiaTrophyhunting said:

this is true for KH3 and maybe 2 but not for KH1 and CoM.

They tied into the main plot, kinda, in Birth by Sleep too.

1 minute ago, madbuk said:

Yes this is my biggest issue with KH. The Disney shit is such a borefest, I wish they'd just remove it entirely in the next game (apart from the Disney characters that actually matter like Donald and Goofy). You get into a Harry Potter situation where nothing of particular importance occurs until the end of the book - but in Harry Potter, the rest of the book is fun because the characters are so great and Hogwarts is such a great setting that even though nothing is really progressing, it's still a good time.

In KH2/3/DDD nothing really happens until the end, like in Harry Potter, but the journey to the end is bogged down by bad retellings of Disney movies instead of anything fun or interesting.

They tied into the main plot, kinda, in Birth by Sleep too.

Well I beg to differ here... I don't know where you get that Harry Potter Opinion but I think that everything they learned throughout the year is important in the end of the book, all comes to a great conclusion.

And for KH, I love the disney worlds and want them to go back to KH1 when the worlds didn't feel too replaceable. in fact I want more worlds and want them to matter more than in KH3