Is this true?

Big_Daddy_Lee_68

I heard through Genkai, the new streaming service, it's possible to bring games from the ps3 to the ps4. However, you cannot just pop a ps3 disc into a ps4. That is probably what the person meant by backwards compatibility. However, sony has not confirmed that this is how they will impliment Genkai

stupid question but how does the cloud thing work. was going to get rid my ps3 and games to get the new console but is it worth keeping hold of my fav games ???

I would assume you have to own the titles digitally via PSN, but I have also heard rumors it is a subscription based service. So it could go either way tbh. Though if you own the disc version of a game you will have to purchase it again if they go the first route.

stupid question but how does the cloud thing work. was going to get rid my ps3 and games to get the new console but is it worth keeping hold of my fav games ???

Gaikai Is a Cloud Streaming service. Think of it like Netflix for video games. With Netflix you stream the video from them, their is no downloading, no real work that your system needs to perform; Everything is done from their end. 

Gaikai will function the same way. Or a better example would be the Vita. When the PS4 is released you will be able to play your PS4 games on your Vita. Your PS4 will be doing all the work, it's just sends that data to your screen instead of the TV and the Vita becomes your controller.

There's not much in the way of specifics but we can speculate several things. 

I'm inclined to think it will be based on a monthly/yearly subscription model rather than paying for each specific title. If it's based on a pay-per-game then it is possible that digital download you have purchased over PSN will be playable when they become available. But it's possible that you'll need repurchase those. But like I said I'll bet money that it's a subscription based program.   

I can't imagine the entire PS3 library being available day one. So look for the newest and greatest hit titles to arrive first. Regardless of which way they go I'd say you are SOL in regards to any hard copies you own. But I would hang on to the disc based games at least until we know more about the service. 

This page has some additional information on Gaikai

http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/Gaikai%20Integration

There are aspect which is flippin awesome that gets often over looked. But it needs to be addressed. This service is designed to play PS3 games but can work just as well with PS2 & PS1 games. Back in March Sony filed a Patent Application for basically a trophy patch. This would allow developers to implement trophies without having to restructure or reedit game. Because the games themselves won't be modified they wouldn't have to be re-certified, which would make this process faster and much less expensive than it is now.

Here's some info about the Trophy Patent

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/03/21/sonys-new-trophy-patent-a-reason-to-be-excited

I don't know what exactly is going to happen over then next couple years but I believe there has never been a better time to be a gamer. 
Edited by mturismo