How do you feel about trophies that require online play?

ItsXaphanex

I personally don't approve of online trophies in games. It's when nobody plays the game so long after release, getting said trophy will become very annoying. Hence why trophy hunters have to create boosting lobbies, removing any merit of getting the trophy in the first place. That, and offline only players are barred from getting the platinum trophy entirely.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I don't mind them, except when it gets to the point that it's an unrealistic grind...

Currently I'm working on Divekick, which requires me to play 2000 ranked matches in a lobby full of bots and turbo controllers... I'm currently at around 200 matches completed... This is gonna take quite a while!! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, dennish8stennis said:

I don't mind them, except when it gets to the point that it's an unrealistic grind...

Currently I'm working on Divekick, which requires me to play 2000 ranked matches in a lobby full of bots and turbo controllers... I'm currently at around 200 matches completed... This is gonna take quite a while!! 

I wouldn't have the patience for that! I gotta wish you best of luck on that one, sounds like a doozy.

• Like 1

I'm fine with them in games that are primarily online experiences, like Fortnite, but they have no place in single player games. The ones that require ridiculous grinds or practically force you to boost are the worst, and they all come with an expiration time. I appreciate games like Dark Souls that have an online experience, and trophies that can technically be made easier or harder by taking advantage of that online experience, but never forcing the player to do co-op or PvP at all. I also have some appreciation for games that just ask you to try their online component (e.g. Uncharted 2, with its "play this mode once" trophy), even if I think it's stupid that someday those trophies will be unavailable, at no fault to the player.

Personally, I wish developers would only make offline trophies, unless the game requires online play.

• Like 3

In One Piece Pirate Warriors, there's one skill that requires online play.  It's the only thing in the entire game that needs it.  And of course there's a trophy for using all Skills.  That's what bugs me the most about online trophies in a mostly offline game.  You could do practically everything there is to do.  Collect all the things and there'd still be this blank spot that you'd have no idea how to fill unless you did some digging.

1 hour ago, Ilzaki said:

In One Piece Pirate Warriors, there's one skill that requires online play.  It's the only thing in the entire game that needs it.  And of course there's a trophy for using all Skills.  That's what bugs me the most about online trophies in a mostly offline game.  You could do practically everything there is to do.  Collect all the things and there'd still be this blank spot that you'd have no idea how to fill unless you did some digging.

one piece: Pirate Warriors was going to be plat #150 but i later found out i couldn't plat it at the time since i needed to either have a secondary ps3 or find 3 people online to play with in friends list. though on my views of online trophy i don't mind if it's something that can be done with 2 consoles not so much with more

Edited by kingdrake2

Online trophies, for me, are a requirement like anything else. In most cases, it would be the easiest of all requirements of the list since boosting MP is usually 1/10 difficulty.

I just think that it's a problem that social anxiety is an issue so frequently now that gets harder to meet with different types of gamers, since the most shy ones will just stay away from online communities, leaving it to be populated by other types of people, including, unfortunately, the toxic ones. The fact that some people don't like people will push the overall experience for everyone to worse because there will be less "good" people to play with, so more of the general/overall experiences will be leaning toward the worse side, a self feeding cycle of:

good people don't like other people -> good people don't play -> bad people still play -> people will spend more time playing with bad people than good people -> experience is unenjoyable making more good people stop trying -> more bad people overall still playing -> repeat

There is also the issue that the majority of the trophy hunting community hate to be challenged, so you gonna be constantly see people whining about time trials, speed runs, multiple playthroughs (this is one i hate myself), collectibles, yada yada. Anything that requires effort, really. This wasn't that bad of an issue years ago when people didn't have a lot of choice. Either they would have to persevere through those tough lists or they wouldn't get too far. Nowadays that's irrelevant. you can be a shit gamer and still have 500 platinums, what makes leaderboards pretty irrelevant if you would use them to gauge how much stuff people endured. 100 platinums could mean people really 95 ezpz and 5 other games.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate ezpz, i do believe they have their place in the community. My only issue is that its utter abundance just changed completely the way that the older trophy hunters had to look at profiles and it's a bit disappointing to see how things changed from 2012 (when I started) to now. We used to have Hannah Montana, some sound shapes stacks, some motorstorm RC stacks, some Sly 4 stacks, but it wasn't anything overwhelming. Now, can you even list all the ezpz that exists?

Now back to the online subject, I'm the one that usually throws the argument that "if you don't like online trophies, don't play games with online trophies", but that's kind of a irrelevant point to make because most of those people got online-only games on their profile (like OP has Killing Floor 2). The issue isn't online, but being told HOW to play the online, which again takes to my point about being challenged.

I'll just end my post here since this doesn't need to be an essay.

• Like 4

I actually love online trophies, it doesn't really matter the requirements needed because you can alway do them even if boosting is needed. I also have someone who will always help me out in games so that takes a lot of the worry away, if I didn't have him then I probably wouldn't enjoy them as much. 

6 hours ago, camcan98 said:

I personally don't approve of online trophies in games. It's when nobody plays the game so long after release, getting said trophy will become very annoying. Hence why trophy hunters have to create boosting lobbies, removing any merit of getting the trophy in the first place. That, and offline only players are barred from getting the platinum trophy entirely.

Thoughts?

It isn't really trophy hunters that create boosting sessions; we enjoy playing the online portion of the game with others that have similar interests and avoid the "random" trolls. I mean I like games with just SP, but online adds some variety and teamwork. 

• Like 2

In the past I played a lot of MMOs including Runescape and World of Warcraft. I definitely know what people on this website are talking about when they mean "grind", because I've been there. Play for hours, dozens of hours and sometimes hundreds of hours just to get something.

The reason I don't have Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted 2 or Uncharted 3 completely done is because I don't think all that boosting and online is worth it. I basically got burnt out on MMOs because you're playing the same activities and grinding the same things over and over and over. I want the games I play to be stimulating, exciting, and strengthen. I want the games to provide a worthwhile adventure and I want them to challenge me every now and then. 

I almost entirely skip any PS3 game that has online trophies that require more than just play 50 - 100 matches or kill 1000 players because at this point you absolutely have to boost. I despise boosting, not that it means people are cheating because let's face it, we all used exploits at some point or another to get trophies in games.

It used to be where a lot of PS3 and Xbox 360 games had a tacked on multiplayer, meaning in addition to the single player you had to play for dozens if not hundreds of hours to get the online trophies. Nowadays that is basically mostly restricted to multiplayer only games, like Overwatch, Paladins, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, Destiny 2 and Friday the 13th. Single player games such as Assassins Creed: Odyssey, Marvel's Spider-Man, The Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus and Middle Earth: Shadow of War are basically 30 to 75 hour adventures that are worth the buck and worth your time playing. If this was still the PS3 generation, these games would probably have us play a bunch of online matches with people and do some bullshit task for a random online trophy.

Some games still have some multiplayer, such as Titanfall 2, Tekken 7, and the Far Cry games. But those online trophies are barely considered any grind at all because you can knock them out in just a few hours. I'm perfectly fine with that.

Just offering my two cents.

• Like 1

Imo, people who play online deserve trophies for it. Why wouldn't they? It can be great when things are actually active. Later, it might or might not be as fun depending on the game mode, but that comes with the territory. I do think it would be unfair to just take them away. Some remasters even removed the game modes with the trophies, which might at first sound like a blessing to trophy hunter, but at the same time it also means there's less game and less trophy to be had. I don't cheer when stuff gets removed from games and this is no exception.

I don't love online trophy, but neither have I found them to be the worst. There are even couple games which I think would have been more fun with online trophies. I feel plat would have been more worth with at least the simple ones like 10 online plays/wins.

I hate them...

Now, now. Playing with friends is great fun and I'm sure there are many games out there that have great Multiplayer modes. But me personally? I'm most of a single player gamer. Playing with randoms online and having trophies attached to said online game modes is not something I'm actually fond of. Again, I like playing with friends and getting trophies. What I don't like is playing with random people or matches turning into a clusterfuck, or having to go through shitty servers and, well, my connection isn't up to the point, so really, the less online I have to go through to get some trophies, the better.

Oh...and let's not talk about single player games that DEMAND you to be online in order to even play them. Those are pretty much the worst offenders. >.<

• Like 3

I don't approve of the idea of Sony locking trophies behind a paywall. If playing online didn't require a monthly paid subscription it wouldn't be that bad. I avoid playing with strangers and Sony preventing crossplay with other platforms is another reason to not buy games that have online trophies.

11 hours ago, STARLOVE said:

Pure scam. I already pay for my games, I already pay for my internet, why on earth do I have to pay for PS+ to access some trophies for a game I already paid for and internet I am also paying for.

You don't have to do that. Get a PC and play with that. Problem solved. Amazing.

5 minutes ago, Juzota said:

You don't have to do that. Get a PC and play with that. Problem solved. Amazing.

I never said I did. Thanks for the tip though, I never realised until now that I can just play games on PC and not pay for PS plus. Absolute genius idea.

Edited by STARLOVE

The last time I play a game with online trophies was FF XV (the comrades DLC) and just because SQ closed the server the last year and the experience was stressful just with around 27 days to earn every trophy and with few time to play games. I played every day since 10 pm until 4 am to wake up after around 8.30 - 9.00 am. 

On 3/2/2019 at 0:59 PM, Cassylvania said:

I'm fine with them in games that are primarily online experiences, like Fortnite, but they have no place in single player games. The ones that require ridiculous grinds or practically force you to boost are the worst, and they all come with an expiration time. I appreciate games like Dark Souls that have an online experience, and trophies that can technically be made easier or harder by taking advantage of that online experience, but never forcing the player to do co-op or PvP at all. I also have some appreciation for games that just ask you to try their online component (e.g. Uncharted 2, with its "play this mode once" trophy), even if I think it's stupid that someday those trophies will be unavailable, at no fault to the player.

Personally, I wish developers would only make offline trophies, unless the game requires online play.

Yeah when i got tomb raider sometime at the beggining of last year i did the story and started on the trophies.

I checked out the multiplayer (which was pretty dead)  but i could still find a match or 2, but the lobbys were full of total maxed level pros that insta kill you and the multiplayer just didnt seem fun to me.

I had to create about 6 boosting session to get me and about 7 other ppl all the online trophies.

And im still trying to solo grind my level to get the level trophy.

People who play online do deserve trophies for it.  Even so, I feel that a game's online & offline trophy sets should really be treated as 2 separate games, each with their own platinum. That way you could still get a platinum for the game's SP even if a server shutdown happens.

SP all the way for me.  Multiplayer I couldn't care less about.

On 3/2/2019 at 1:45 PM, Honor_Hand said:

Oh...and let's not talk about single player games that DEMAND you to be online in order to even play them. Those are pretty much the worst offenders. >.<

I agree with you 120%. That always-online requirement in an SP game is disrespectful to the customer, completely unnecessary, & a total deal breaker for me. It's exactly why I'm ditching Anthem, BG&E 2, & Fallout 76. Shame that it doesn't seem to catch enough flack.

• Like 2

I don't mind them except when servers go down and they become impossible to earn! They should have a separate list or the ability to play with bots or SOMETHING! I just sucks when servers shut down. Especially when good games are still being played. Or wanting to be played and they are no longer available. But the trash games stay on forever! For example. I mean can someone pleeeease tell me why Resistance 2 and 3 games. Servers are shut down. But for some strange reason I can still play Uno or Blokus online. When NOOOOOBODY plays those games. I mean seriously.