How do you feel about trophies that require online play?

ItsXaphanex

to be concise: love 'em...built up a solid friends list of people who share the online love...and particularly the co-op online love...gaming sessions are my favourite feature of this site too...over the years met lots of great people, spent some pretty epic gaming times together, and shared a lot of awesome life stories, situations, ideologies, and experiences...oh yeah, and earned a few trophies along the way...priceless...

Edited by ProfBambam55

Don't like 'em, specially if they're just built up on singleplayer games.

They're just a guarantee to prodcuce unable-to-complete games like "Little Deviants", "FIFA" (up to 15 or higher?) or "Everybody Golf" (Vita).

I don't like multiplayer trophies of any kind I prefer to play by myself, I like being alone co-operative modes have never interested me

I think it's really unfair; just because you like to play alone you can't get Platinum for a large portion of games, not everyone wants to deal with toxicity and entitled clans and I don't think you should be punished for that, hence why none of the games I play have multiplayer only or online only trophies.

I don’t mind online trophies unless the online was a pointless addition to the game. I’m not a fan of 2 player co-op ones because there’s more pressure to be good (which usually involves having to memorise a 10 minute video to know how to do it perfectly). It’s a horrible feeling when you fail a mission and you were the one at fault. Most of those types of trophies were mainly on the PS3 (in my experience at least) so I also had to deal with extremely laggy servers.

If it's something reasonable like play X amount of games across all play modes or X amount of kills via particular weapon or ability I don't mind. 

If its something ridiculous like Kill Zone 2 where you had to essientially reach the top of the leaderboards that's where I begin to hate online trophies. 

Well I view it like this : 

Is it a single player game who had multiplayer just for the sake of it? Then I don't like the trophies even if they MIGHT be easy to get. Last of Us comes to mind here, I hate the online trophies,probably why I will never platinum it just because of that reason. Ok one exception is God of War Ascension, that multiplayer mode was so ...what did I just see. Glad the trophies basically required some easy training mode with no additional player involved.

Is it a multiplayer game with a real thought out trophy list that requires dedicated but not obsessed playing? Yes i am ok with it - all the fighting games and For Honor for example.

Is it a multiplayer game with absurd trophies? Then definetly gonna avoid the trophy.

Of course this is only trophy related, I enjoy playing Overwatch now and then but avoid the trophy list like the plague. Shooters on a controller really ain't my thing.

Really depends for me. I'm not a fan, but if it's simple, basic stuff(Get x kills, win a round in all matches, win 1 race online, disarm the bomb etc.) it's okay I guess(Until online closes).

If the game is multiplayer only anyway, then duh xD

But if a game concentrates normally alot of the Story part(The last of us, uncharted, red dead redemption, metal gear solid etc.) i prefered no online trophies(Or very simple, like the basic games trophies of uncharted 2/3 for example)

what i hate are super long grinding trophies, be it for simple stuff like reaching a high level or high kill count or absolute overskill/random/luck stuff, like that airplane kill on blowing up stationary weapons with a player on it times 5, these are things that give me a possible 1 trophy to plat left that im not good enough thing. and smart players likely just leave before you bly there stationary weapon up to kill them, lol

• Like 1

I never liked them aside from that I'm bad at every single online multiplayer game I play.
Plus a lot of online trophies tend to have some regardless requirements like reach level 100, win 10 match in a row, win 100 matches(In general) that sort of thing or it some sort of other stupid requirement.
I don't mind them if it is just try the game mode, play a few matches or win a few.
hated the GTA 4 online trophies that is for sure.

• Like 1

i don't like them because i'm not a fan of online games. eg gta online and rdr2 online don't appeal to me at all because they're more fun with friends. and i don't have any friends haha

i especially hate how rdr2 and gta5 have loads on online trophies. it's put me off playing the actual games because my completion looks awful

• Like 1

Since I'm a completionist, this kind of trophy is an issue for me. PS4 syncs trophies immediately, so if a game requires you to be online at all times, you are stuck with it for good. I'm stuck with this game because of that and if I'm ever going to complete it I'll have to spend quite a bit of money on buying better cards since you get steamrolled by other players if you don't.

edit: I know you can try the game out on another account first. I did this and liked it, so I started to play it on my main account. However I didn't realize just how useless the default set of cards is in online play.

Edited by GTRP_Lancerlover

Personally, I’m not really a big fan. I’m new to gaming and find it very stressful playing online especially when it’s PvP. People are always miles better than me and playing against or with other people always reveals how rubbish I am. Hahaha! ?

I genuinely enjoyed the Call of Duty: WWII campaign, but I was so bad at the multiplayer I decided to step back and play something else. ?

I hate them. I wish single player games would not have online trophies ever, or at least that they would not count for the Plat. To be absolutely clear: The reason I hate online trophies is because you meet other people in multiplayer, and the majority of the people I encountered behaved like dicks.

I just think online trophies are a sign of the publisher wanting those day one sales and not thinking about the bigger sales, especially in an age of digital sales where you don't have to worry about shipping units. 

Confused? Allow your Uncle McDamage to explain then. 

Now even a completionist gamer like myself, I would never hold off buying a game just because it had online trophies. But what I would hold off doing is buying it day one or digital. Reason being that I won't be using half of the game so why pay full whack. And would instead wait for the sale to be as cheap as possible or lending from a friend before playing it on a none completion profile. Meaning neither dev nor publisher gets money from me. I'm not saying that in a way as I'm punishing them, but its just the way it works out.

Where as if your game has only single player trophies, you can guarantee long term sales, especially in terms of digital sales years down the line. Business should always be about the marathon, not the sprint, and online trophies for me are only trying to get the quick day one sales. 

Even when you get a game which has online trophies but can be done as a single player can be stupid, because as others have mentioned these are still usually server based and because the lack of online will be supported, you then have hiccups left, right and center only a couple of months down the line after release when the publishers want to cut back on servers costs etc, meaning gamers then cannot even unlock single player trophies. Examples would be stuff like Hitman Absolution, Deus Ex Humankind which I'm aware of and no doubt there are more.   

You also have to look at the trophies themselves and what they mean. A trophy list is all about getting every single thing done in the game you buy and eventually unlock that shiny new platinum, meaning gamers commit to the full experience. The vast majority of gamers who game online want fast action and pick up and play gaming styles. This isn't a dis towards online gamers, its just what its about. Of course there are the the odd game type which requires investment like Elder Scrolls Online and World of Warcraft, but the vast majority are all about fast gaming experiences, scoreboards and pretty much the same modes played over and over. Most online gamers don't even go for the online trophies and no doubt pop the odd one or two simply overt time. 

So as gamer I think they're a bad idea, and from a business perspective I think they're just an awful idea and make no sense. And so many new gamers are introduced to the trophy system week after week, that backlog sales could create a small fortune for many a publisher and dev. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

• 3 weeks later...

Online trophies for me I either enjoy them or really despise them.

• grinding, this is always a pain in the ass, unless the game is actually fun which makes a big difference. Levelling up can be a breeze that way.
  • When co-op is only available online, but there’s no co-op offline split screen also. People buy 2 controllers for a reason, either to use them alone to get these trophies or for family matters. Looks like both your children will need a PS4 this Christmas. Was Having a stressful experience tonight trying to set up farcry4 co-op (game doesn’t let my friend join even if I invite them, might have torn my hair out but it’s a good example for this list of shame and disgust) 
  • Very super bullshit scenario based trophies that are probably 1 and million to do even if you’re good at the game. 
  • 4 controllers needed and to be played online, sonic and Sega allstars transformed had this awful trophy, were you needed 4 controllers, and have each local player finish 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th online. Luckily you could boost this, but the other players may have also needed more controllers if they couldn’t fill the lobby space. No trophy that requires peripherals should exist, its crap having to buy something for a trophy. 
  • When no one plays the game anymore, boosting it is then 
  • When the servers are no longer running.... permanent game over...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I got mortal kombat vs dc universe on my birthday a few years ago and was so sad to see the platinum is impossible. I would've done it too. I would play so many more sports game even from previous years but due to server closure I can only do 2 from the past now (mlb the show 18, madden 11) which sucks because with could make the studios more money due to this. Honestly on both sides its a good thing

Developers continue making more money due to trophy hunters buying games from past and present, and the fans are happy

Depends on the game for me. Games I actually end up really enjoying would be on the ok list, but that's going to be different from person to person. If it's some single-player game that has a half-assed online section crammed into it (I'm looking at you Ghostbusters: The Video Game) or the games is broken in such a specific way that online is a bad idea but is done regardless (Hi, Brutal Legend, how are you these days?), I'm not into it. Games that have creative or not horribly annoying online functions, like the LBP series, I'm generally fine with.