How do you feel about trophies that require online play?

ItsXaphanex

Companies like Ubisoft have made their online trophies much easier to handle with their newer games.

In the past you had lists like Far Cry 2 and Crysis 2 which had absurd online trophy requirements. Play an online match with 16 people? Do practically everything in Crysis 2? Nuts.

Nowadays you get lists like Far Cry: New Dawn which has one sole online trophy. Honestly you should just make it entirely single player, but I guess there's a few people out there who enjoy the online in New Dawn.

If I can I will avoid any game that has online trophies or even trophies that need you to increase the difficulty level for a second playthrough or even game+ modes.

I don't mind multy playthrough's or even game+ modes just think putting trophies out for them is a cheap shot.

• 3 weeks later...

My profile is littered with games where I have 100% of the single-player trophies, and 0% of the multiplayer trophies. It's my biggest barrier to platinums. I tend to buy games a few months after their release when they're on-sale, by which point the multiplayer has often completely died off and moved onto another game.

I don't mind boosting but it usually doesn't help with the really grindy issues. Boosting alone won't get you to level 100 in GTA Online, and frankly, I have other games I'd much rather play.

I generally find online trophies fine for the most part. Games with online trophies that are single player that simply require an internet connection without needing any interaction with other players like Lollipop Chainsaw's 'International Zombie Hunter', or Metal Gear Solid V's 'Deterrence' and 'Disarmament' are ok. I also find trophies that require co-op to be pretty fun most of the time. PvP, on the other hand, I usually don't enjoy it as much as co-op but I'll go through with it if a game's 100% requires it. But then even PvP turns into a "co-op" session if you decide to boost. With that said, what I don't like is that every online trophy has a countdown towards being unobtainable and I think that's the worst part, especially if you're a completionist. This also kinda "forces" me to have to prioritize these kinds games over others, which I feel I shouldn't have to for any kind of reason. I guess a bright side to this is that you're once obtainable now unobtainable online trophies become more "valuable" to have, like having that Michael Jordan rookie card that's no longer in print. One thing's for sure is that I won't avoid a game with online trophies that have potentially great single player, in particular story driven games, IF they're still attainable. Otherwise, I would consider using an alt account for games not started yet with unobtainable trophies since I try to avoid having unobtainables on my main account. I'd have to be really interested in the game though for me to deviate from my main account for a time. 

Edited by Lum

I don't mine online trophies at all if the game is online only. 

What I do mind however, is online trophies baked into mostly single player games where there is no option to earn the trophy entirely offline. So long as there is a 100% legitimate way to earn it offline (even if it takes 5-10x the time it would if you just did it online), then you can add as many as you want for all I care.

Edited by Sword

• 2 years later...

I don’t like them because we all know that at some point they’ll be unattainable. I wanted to platinum the 3 original little big planet games, I can’t do that now because of the online server closure. Even if an old game still hasn’t had its servers closed like london 2012 olympics it’s still incredibly hard to get the online trophies because no one plays the game anymore.

Not a fan; I avoid 'em whenever possible. Relying on the behavior of Internet strangers to earn a trophy usually sucks, and I always abhorred begging for assistance in boosting threads and whatnot, although I've definitely done it... LittleBigPlanet "heart 4 heart" was degrading. My ISP currently isn't the best for gaming, either. This is why I haven't bothered to play Rise of the Tomb Raider yet, despite buying it several years ago: Endurance Co-Op mode sounds like trash.

• Like 2

Depends on the game. Mostly online multiplayer with little to no single player experience? no issues here

Mostly offline game with a decent single player experience with multiplayer tacked on? Then i consider it a problem.

If i buy a game with a trophy or 2 that requires online play, Its not an enormous problem to me, but i still think its an issue, especially if i like the game enough to wanna platium it. I shouldn't need to play online to get the "full experience" and a complete trophy list.

Nioh 2 thankfully has no online requirement for any trophies. Only one Twilight Mission (not to be confused with Twilight Region stages) needs done for the plat. Actually you don't need to be online for the current TMs to get switched out if you want to wait for an easier one to use for Twilight Walker (and unlike the first Nioh, there is no need to finish all TMs).

Generally. not a fan. For multiplayer modes. having to rely on things like playerbases and less popular game modes to even be elligible for a trophy is a pain and that's not factoring in the luck/skill needed. If it's boostable in private matches, I'm more ok with it. If there's a bot mode so it can be played offline when the servers go, then that's even better.

However, single player games that have a pointless online trophy for no reason - they can jog on.

Cutting out multiplayer trophies just for the sake of people who want to earn platinums more easily is the sort of mindset that gets us ezpz trophy lists. Caring more about giving people participation trophies (heh) than making sure your trophy list actually measures achievement in a game is a mistake in my opinion. Sometimes they're a pain in the ass, sure, but if I don't want to actually play a big segment of a game I want to platinum, why am I playing it at all?

6 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Cutting out multiplayer trophies just for the sake of people who want to earn platinums more easily is the sort of mindset that gets us ezpz trophy lists. Caring more about giving people participation trophies (heh) than making sure your trophy list actually measures achievement in a game is a mistake in my opinion. Sometimes they're a pain in the ass, sure, but if I don't want to actually play a big segment of a game I want to platinum, why am I playing it at all?

It's not the game, it's the people.