How do you feel about trophies that require online play?

ItsXaphanex

I don't mind if they are online game trophies, but if they are win games-type then I dislike them. 

Play game against other player > Win other player

This is why I never got platinum from Division because I wasn't able to kill 20 rogue or extract items from every extraction point because of rogue teams. 

I'm fine with them in principal. If a game has an online component then its fine for it to have some trophies for playing it. As others have said it can largely come down to how they are implemented.  

That said I don't care for them personally. I haven't played anything recently with any sort of major online mode so it hasn't been a problem for me of awhile. I think the biggest issue is a lot of the time the trophies seem designed to make you spend way more time in them then needed. I've also lost interest in 'competitive' multiplayer in general so that makes the majority of online trophies uninteresting to me. 

The fact that your ability to earn the trophies for them is also at the whim of the servers staying up just adds to the FOMO element as well which I also don't care for. 

It really depends on the game. If it’s one with a massive online/multiplayer component to it then I always check the likelihood of getting the trophies, either solo or via boosting. 

When it comes to single player experiences with added multiplayer or online requirements, it can definitely get more annoying. For example, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition required you to reach level 60 in multiplayer. Playing it six years after release meant an unbearable, repetitive and mind numbing solo grind. In contrast, Uncharted 4’s multiplayer trophies only asked that you do some basics and essentially test out that part of the game. Although I couldn’t say the same for its Survival dlc. 

Obviously, server shutdowns and dead lobbies will always inevitably cause issues for those of us who boot up a game long after release. I wish it wasn’t the case but it’s why I follow the ‘Upcoming Shutdowns’ thread on here just in case. 

48 minutes ago, sharkyaya said:

For example, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition required you to reach level 60 in multiplayer. Playing it six years after release meant an unbearable, repetitive and mind numbing solo grind.

Agreed, it sure was one of the worst grinds I have ever done. Nothing like 10 hours of box deliveries in solo rescue matches...

Besides that, online trophies were the only reason I got into the boosting gaming sessions and I am thankfull for It. Even if some of those trophies are terrible like in TRDE. 

• Like 2

On 2.3.2019 at 4:16 AM, Wrath_of_Midgard said:

I personally don't approve of online trophies in games. It's when nobody plays the game so long after release, getting said trophy will become very annoying. Hence why trophy hunters have to create boosting lobbies, removing any merit of getting the trophy in the first place. That, and offline only players are barred from getting the platinum trophy entirely.

Thoughts?

In my opinion, the creators of the game, make both the game and the trophy list, and they can make it whatever they want :)

No one is entitled to a platinum. If you want said platinum, you have to EARN it, by doing the tasks they ask you. If you don't like the tasks, and can't/won't do them, then it's fine, but you don't get the platinum. 

Complaining about trophy requirements, and that you should be able to get a platinum, without wanting to do what they require (whether it's because you lack the skills or time, or something else), is like saying that people without legs, should be able to get a medal for running a marathon, even though they didn't :) 

Not everyone can platinum all games, just like not everyone can run a marathon. So either train/work at your skills, or accept that some trophies (both on playstation and in real life), are not for you to obtain :) 

• Like 1

Mixed feelings but yeah it does depend on the specific requirements. Some good things are that it adds variety to trophy hunting, there's a certain level of adrenaline and relief with obtaining them and also you get to meet new people via boosting as well as incentivisng you to try out different things which is when trophies are at their best. Bad thing is unobtainables, absurd grinding requirements and for multiplayers that aren't enjoyable multiplayers I mean I loved getting all the MP trophies in the last of us multiplayer as I enjoyed that multiplayer for example but I always like to get them out of the way as it kinda feels like once you've done all the online trophies you've basically got the platinum more or less as the single player feels timeless, you could do that right now or in a hundred years

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

There's 4 x things I HATE about online gaming.

1. Toxic communities (dickhead players)

2. Server closures (inevitable due to cost)

3. Dead lobbies (can be good in some cases)

4. Games that require a lot to boost (Hunters Arena)

5. All of the above. Lol

Edited by TheDarkKratos
  • Like 2

I hate that online servers go away/ cause problems inside the game for external reasons like the gamespy nuke, man you had to be there, the ammount of games that had problems thanks to that its brutal, even some games like lucha libre triple a became just unplayable (almost literally) even on single player, and it was all of a sudden, which made everything a mess.

But yeah, i consider MP components in games have expiration dates, its not good that a trophy also has expiration date, or even a clock ticking like nba 2k games that its absurd how little some trophies can be completed.

Not a fan of them at all.  If it's a multiplayer game only, I understand it.  But tossed into the the mix of a primarily single player game (often with weak multiplayer, anyway) is meh.

I do hate online trophies. I care for my completion and i left many games unplayed because of these trophies like GTA V, shadows of mordor, call of duty of new generation, formula 1 2023( ny favorite sport). So yeah, these trophies are ridiculous. Especially because after a couple months server become dead and you have to boost things.

I did battlefield 1, playing in servers from another region, praying to find a match with a huge amount of lag to just get obe single win of a gamemode that used to be crowded but nowadays have nobody in the lobby. A lobby that needs 40 players to start :)

Echoing what a lot of people have said if a game is primarily single player and has a tacked on multiplayer mode with trophies it can be pretty annoying. I also don’t really like PS+, the one time I got it was when it was €1 for a month lol. Relying on other players with little boosting options also sucks, so I try to avoid big team game grinds. I think the only company I know of that dosent shut down their servers(or at least none that I know of)is Capcom, and it’s kind of sad that they’re considered an exception 🫠

When online was free or cheaper I didn't mind.

But the monetisation of online games has gone too far, with an annoying barrier to entry prior to starting, by having that online paywall before even getting to play anything, then you have to buy the game, and then who knows what else will be in your way payment wise before you can start earning all the online Trophies, and even the games that don't require PS+ have other nefarious barriers.

I don't like online Trophies anymore.

Stopped playing online games and stopped paying for PS+ and just focusing on my singleplayer backlog.

I now despise live-service titles, and any game that's more of a continuous service than a product.

Edited by J-S_93
  • Like 1

If the game is based mostly on online modus, like the fifa series for example, I am fine with the online trophies. I don't agree with obsecure games having online trophies just for the sake of it. Nobody plays these games after a while and the servers are always empty and there's great risk of the servers closing. On top of my head there's a trophy in Fast & Furious which requires 5 online wins, instead of people you can use Ai/bots online, so you don't have to worry about the online- or boostcommunity. This is a great example on how to solve these problems with niche games.