PS4's PSN Requires PS Plus

Spiersaz

*sigh* I just looked up the news and read that if you want to play online on PS4 you have to subscribe on PS plus. Though I've heard that PS plus is amazing with its "instant collection" and beta trials etc. Your subscription from PS3 will carry over to PS4 which is nice. But I will really miss playing online for free. I really hope PS plus lives up to its name.  -_-

Want do you think of this? Do you rather play online for free or are you paying already for PS plus?

I already have Playstation Plus it is a good service you get a lot of free games and other things like avatars,themes,betas invites etc they give you much more for what you are paying for having the ability to upload saved data to the cloud system exclusive to plus is good as well also since we are forced to pay for the online interactions in PS4 i think we will get a better online experience like more stability during online gameplay and more options added 

Considering the given price of PS4, which is only 399$, 399 euros and around 350 pounds and the given benefits of it, free games and much more for the price of 5$ is more than worth it. In my eyes, it already would be worth paying a monthly subscription for being able to play online with all the games you get.

I doubt they will make a lot of profit just from selling the consoles itself assuming the hardware they put in it. I believe they're aiming for PS Plus to be one of their main income sources and if it's true, it's a damn good move on their part.

• Like 1

I think that they want to make a profit like any other company and it makes sense. I'm okay with this, it's not that expensive and Microsoft was doing this for a while. At least we had that luxury and will still benefit from free games and whatever else PSN plus offers (I personally don't have it right now). And of course free is always better but save yourself the sigh, and appreciate that we are spoiled compared to an Xbox Live membership.

Edited by BeautyBlade

Plus doesn't live up to it's name, in my opinion the games are cheap, or games I already played.  I won't mind paying for it since I can afford it, but I was talking to some people and they were switching from the 360 to ps4 and then they found out that you have to pay for online and they got sad, so some people might not like this..

Plus doesn't live up to it's name, in my opinion the games are cheap, or games I already played.  I won't mind paying for it since I can afford it, but I was talking to some people and they were switching from the 360 to ps4 and then they found out that you have to pay for online and they got sad, so some people might not like this..

They're former 360 fans though, they probably don't know about the benefits of +

And Amerca gets pretty bad + games, but UK get better games as we pay more. I know a lot of people own both, something I can't afford lol

They're former 360 fans though, they probably don't know about the benefits of +

And Amerca gets pretty bad + games, but UK get better games as we pay more. I know a lot of people own both, something I can't afford lol

xbox 360 gets free games as well.

all the cool kids have ps plus

I'm fine not being a cool kid =p

I have the xbox 360 and ps3.

The 360 does jackshit with its membership, tbh you can't do anything like get any sales period or even use netflix without gold, and on top of the the 2 free game bs a month, a) is supposed to be til the end of this year and B) the games given are really old games (some good but around 3+ years) that you could get dirt cheap.

PS+ I can get actual decent games and multiple for a month (PS Saints Row 3 tommorow for plus, awesome!) I rarely play my ps3, and I'd still rather renew it then my gold because I don't feel like I have a shotgun next to my head to use the damn thing.

I think that they want to make a profit like any other company and it makes sense. I'm okay with this, it's not that expensive and Microsoft was doing this for a while. At least we had that luxury and will still benefit from free games and whatever else PSN plus offers (I personally don't have it right now). And of course free is always better but save yourself the sigh, and appreciate that we are spoiled compared to an Xbox Live membership.

This.

The fact of the matter is that Sony is losing money on every PS4 sale, since the cost of the components is well above $399. This is their way of recovering some of the losses, as well as supporting additional features and better servers for all the resource-intensive integrated features next-gen. I'm more than happy to pay the $399 + $50 a year considering the wealth of excellent titles and discounts included.

If you're buying an Xbox One, you'd be paying $100 more AND you'd still have to pay roughly $50 a year for multiplayer and such, but without as many sweet deals and freebies. This is still an infinitely better deal.

Edited by Curb
  • Like 1

Been a PS+ subscriber since day one, so this truthfully doesn't bother me, as I'd have kept subscribing anyways. Of course, we all want to game online for free, but I know you cannot support free for long, without some sort of revenue. So I'm actually really happy that they just tied it into the PS+ fee, rather than charging a completely separate fee or something like that.

I was for going to buy PS Plus when I get PS4 anyways.  I heard it's great service (so long as you stay subscribed), and besides, having to pay for the online multiplayer will definitely make PSN better in a long run so it isn't exactly a bad thing.. here in the UK it's like £39.99 for a whole year with instant collection, free games and now online multiplayer, I may buy it before PS4 comes out incase with the new feature the price goes up, but don't think it will.. I don't want to get it too soon as I want it to do me the duration of PS4's first year and I'll be busy September to October with Kingdom Hearts so I don't want free games been forced down my throat then xD

This year I've gotten the following games for free with Plus(games in bold have been out less than one year)

• Spec Ops: The Line
  • Darksiders
  • XCom:Enemy Unkown
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade
  • Resident Evil 5 Gold
  • Vanquish
  • Demon's Souls

I also got the following games on the cheap because of sales for Plus members

• Resident Evil 6
  • Guacamelee
  • Sound Shapes

No sir, your argument doesn't hold water. PSPlus is still a good deal.

• Like 1

I heard you could still access stuff like netflex and Free-to-play games without plus such as DCUO or Planetside 2 on an IGN article. If that's the case, you can probably still get on your account and access the store and playstation home too (since it is also free to play). If this is the case, I have no problem with it what so ever. I really don't play a lot of games that require online other than CoD and that series is getting boring and stale for me anyways. Games like FFXV, watchdogs, and KH3 could easily hold me over for 6-8 months and maybe even more so paying for online really isn't a big deal to me. I simply just pick and choose when I want to pay for online so that I get the deals I want and play the online games I want at the same time.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

This year I've gotten the following games for free with Plus(games in bold have been out less than one year)

• Spec Ops: The Line
  • Darksiders
  • XCom:Enemy Unkown
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade
  • Resident Evil 5 Gold
  • Vanquish
  • Demon's Souls

I also got the following games on the cheap because of sales for Plus members

• Resident Evil 6
  • Guacamelee
  • Sound Shapes

No sir, your argument doesn't hold water. PSPlus is still a good deal.

Darksiders is cheap, resident evil 5 gold/vanquish are cheap, demon's souls is very cheap,super street fighter is cheap, guacamelee was cheap to begin with, sound shapes is cheap, resident evil 6 was 18 at gamestop, I will give you sleeping dogs, spec ops the line and xcom though, but like I said, I already played sleeping dogs and spec ops the line months before it became free, and I have no interest in Xcom, so I believe my argument does hold water, sir.

Edited by drummerklg

I have already have been a + member for two years. Free games + cloud memory @ price of one new game = No brainer non-issue.

This, I have been a member since like Jan or Feb 2013, and so far, the games have been super awesome. I was a Xbox Live member for 5 years and we never got anything with Xbox Live. Besides, with the money you spend on PS+, you will get games you wanted and could of paid nearly the price of a one year PS+ membership.

Verdict - PS+ is so good, it feels like Sony is getting ripped off and we are getting the good deal. Nonetheless, Sony loves us all so give them love back with subscribing for PS+ and we get awesome servers for PS4 and extra content. :D