Anthem Causing PS4 Consoles To Shut Down During Gameplay

Hello all.

I have never played a single game developed by BioWare Interactive (never plan to) but I’ve had an ironic interest for this game ever since I first heard of it. Now more than ever since the closed demo. I knew this game was going to be something special the moment I found out users couldn’t get past the loading screen.

Anthem is 2019’s Golden Raspberry and that is, in one way or another, objectively undisputable. However, as if BioWare wasn’t EA’s pacifier for long enough, it appears the game can fuck up your PlayStation 4. On Reddit (EA’s worst nightmare since Star Wars Battlefront 2) some users claimed that mid-game their console would randomly close Anthem (without any crash/error message) or log them out of their user back to the start up screen. Others have even reported that the game completely bricked their console, in a similar way to when your system at risk using the console during a power outage/surge. “DO NOT unplug the AC Power Cord until the PS4 is fully turned off.” BioWare begs to differ.

Funnily enough, some users have managed to receive refunds from Sony because of this. “Here’s your $60 back, go play God Of War instead!”

For the moment I’ve got nothing else to add to this topic, though we’ll just have to wait for more info. This issue simply cannot be ignored as Sony is allowing the sale of a “game” where you spend minimum 100 Australian Dollars to damage your PS4. I thought I’d create a topic regarding this as I was suprised this hasn’t already been discussed (until now) on this site.

The video embedded below informs this problematic situation. Gotta love the mention of Fallout 76, or should I say Failout 69?

“Anthem. Stimulate your senses.”

Edited by Skeptical69

10 minutes ago, sh4d0wzcs said:

Lets be honest, is anyone actually surprised?

To be frank, not really. But I never expected it to go THIS far...

My ps4 crashed a few times during God of War. Are we throwing that on the trash list too?

Pretty sure it was from my ps4 overheating, or something along those lines, but I was playing God of War at the time so logic dictates it was the games fault... I guess.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

My ps4 crashed a few times during God of War. Are we throwing that on the trash list too?

Pretty sure it was from my ps4 overheating, or something along those lines, but I was playing God of War at the time so logic dictates it was the games fault... I guess.

So, it's not the game, is it? Is the PS4 rage quitting on us? Was the cooling fan and air vents not strong with this one? Please tell me which PS4 model you're using! Pro? Slim? Day One? I'm using the launch model and every time I start any game it's louder than a bomb! Then a few minutes later it's only a couple decibels higher than the noise my Pre-Owned Slim PS3.

When my Day One PlayStation 4 HAS turned off on me it's done so because the touch power/eject buttons on the release model can sense more than the human flesh, from dust to fingerprints! No matter what I'm doing on my console I'd hear a beep seemingly out of nowhere and 3 seconds later it'll come up with the shut down screen. How I see it, the only thing that made the Slim differ to the standard PS4 was the implementation of "physical" buttons over the sh*tty "touch-sensitive" option.

I never intend to buy it since it was online onlyand the whole premise of the game didn't interest me a bit and being from EA also tick me off right away . And now , with this shutting down consoles and damaging , i won't really get it even if paid .

54 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

The Anthem stability problems have absolutely nothing to do with the PS4 overheating but everything to do with shitty and sub-standard coding, because the Xbox 1 has the exact same problem with this game:

Fallout 76 is a lousy game but at least it isn't killing consoles like Anthem is.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

I've had the bluescreen crashes in God of War, Spider-man, Darksiders(1,2 and 3), Anthem, Bridge Constructor, and probably a bunch more.  The frequency ranges from one time things to constant and repeatable. I had to let The Witcher 3 sit for months because of the inventory bug would crash the game. 

Things will get sorted out in due time I hope. Interesting how little coverage the crashes in those games got from the over-the-top clowns on youtube lying about bricking hardware.

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, SinisterPledge said:

Oh, so just because your ps4 hasn't crashed means everyone is lying and bashing the game for fun? What an interesting thought process. Truly, you have transcended above these hateful plebeians. 

I also love how you're apparently clairvoyant.

He said that he hasn't experienced a crash. That doesn't mean people are lying about crashing happening. The part about the bashing is probably more about how certain people use this issue as another opportunity to complain about game they don't even play. His opinion is from 1st hand experience. Why would people lie? Pettiness for one. Also, people like Yongyea will lie for ad revenue, donations, and views. 

Edited by TJ_Solo

50 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

I've had the bluescreen crashes in God of War, Spider-man, Darksiders(1,2 and 3), Anthem, Bridge Constructor, and probably a bunch more.  The frequency ranges from one time things to constant and repeatable. I had to let The Witcher 3 sit for months because of the inventory bug would crash the game. 

Things will get sorted out in due time I hope. Interesting how little coverage the crashes in those games got from the over-the-top clowns on youtube lying about bricking hardware.

It sounds like something is wrong with your console. I've played God of War, Spider-Man, and The Witcher 3 and don't recall a single crash.

9 minutes ago, StuGunn5 said:

It sounds like something is wrong with your console. I've played God of War, Spider-Man, and The Witcher 3 and don't recall a single crash.

God of War and Spider-man were rare. The inventory bug was reported and fixed(it took a few months). After the 1.61 patch I was able to do the entire Blood & Wine expansion without a single crash from opening the inventory.  Apparently, it was a software issue.

Edited by TJ_Solo

12 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

He said that he hasn't experienced a crash. That doesn't mean people are lying about crashing happening. The part about the bashing is probably more about how certain people use this issue as another opportunity to complain about game they don't even play. His opinion is from 1st hand experience. Why would people lie? Pettiness for one. Also, people like Yongyea will lie for ad revenue, donations, and views. 

You might want to read the first sentence of his post one more time.

I'm sure some people lie and blow up the situation. Due to pettiness? Sure. Due to anger at EA and Bioware for their downgraded trash games put out in the past? Very likely. People lying is understandable, what I find harder to get my head around is why people are so desperate to rush to EA and Bioware's aid. Why defend them when they are clearly messing up, and intentionally trying to fuck over their own playerbase?

And it's not like causing hardware failure and crashes is the sole issue with Anthem. The bugs, glitches and horrrible design choices are plenty and I only find them laughable since luckily, I never bought the game - and I dare say I never will. At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, I'm seriously starting to doubt Bioware can create decent AAA-games anymore.

I am not going to defend Yongyea. He does a lot of good, but I'm not invested enough in his channel to speak on his integrity.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SinisterPledge said:

You might want to read the first sentence of his post one more time.

I'm sure some people lie and blow up the situation. Due to pettiness? Sure. Due to anger at EA and Bioware for their downgraded trash games put out in the past? Very likely. People lying is understandable, what I find harder to get my head around is why people are so desperate to rush to EA and Bioware's aid. Why defend them when they are clearly messing up, and intentionally trying to fuck over their own playerbase?

And it's not like causing hardware failure and crashes is the sole issue with Anthem. The bugs, glitches and horrrible design choices are plenty and I only find them laughable since luckily, I never bought the game - and I dare say I never will. At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, I'm seriously starting to doubt Bioware can create decent AAA-games anymore.

I am not going to defend Yongyea. He does a lot of good, but I'm not invested enough in his channel to speak on his integrity.

Defend what? I stated that Anthem has crashed on me. However, like a lot bugs/glitches some people won't have it happen to them...because "bugs" are buggy.

The rest of your comment proves my point about people with no intention of playing the game looking for any reason to pop in and drop a turd on it.

Bricking consoles is still a lie. YongYea and Co. are scam artists with more DLC on locked behind patreon than Anthem has on its In-game Store.

Edited by TJ_Solo

3 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Defend what? I stated that Anthem has crashed on me. However, like a lot bugs/glitches some people won't have it happen to them...because "bugs" are buggy.

The rest of your comment proves my point about people with no intention of playing the game looking for any reason to pop in and drop a turd on it.

I didn't say you were defending it (this time). You just love to (intentionally, I hope) misinterpret posts to prove your points. This isn't the first time, after all. :) You are completely right though. I have no intention of playing the game. I do think numerous crashes, bugs, glitches and downgraded content is more than enough to warrant some negative comments about a game. Just because I have no intention of playing it doesn't mean I can't have opinions about its quality or current state. I have no intention of visiting North Korea, but I can still have opinions about their regime. I don't see how a lack of monetary investment, or not wasting the finite time I have left on this planet, disqualifies me from having and voicing an opinion - but please enlighten me.

I guess watching recordings of the aforementioned issues or reading numerous posts and reports doesn't count. I might as well join the Flat Earth society.

• Like 3