jonesey46's Trophy Travels

jonesey46

5 hours ago, SpaceCoresDad said:

I dig these writeups! Though it looks like it might not quite be finished yet? :x

Yeah, I'm working on it whilst at work when I have the time. I'll post a comment once it's finished to let everyone know. Thanks for the nice words :)

5 hours ago, Bailey97 said:

Your spreadsheet to track games is great man, I made one for myself as well it's a great way to track your backlog and keep tabs on your progress. Awesome collection so far keep it up!

Thanks a lot haha, I'm pretty proud of it and it's definitely helped me a lot!

The checklist is complete!

I may tweak a few things but from now on I'll just be posting updates in the comments as and when they happen. Thanks for taking the time to read this if you do!

If you have any suggestions on how I can improve the checklist please let me know.

As for now I'm about to start Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater which won't take long so I'll be back here in a couple of days with the first update!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5.3.2019 at 11:33 AM, jonesey46 said:

I'm an organised person and to keep track of my games I made a spreadsheet which you can view HERE if you like. This checklist will have a lot of the same information but a bit more detailed as I plan to write some thoughts for each game I complete.

I'd like to credit Arcesus 7 for some of the design elements of my checklist, it was his one that inspired me to create my own and I may have nicked some of his ideas! 1f600.png

Hey! Well thanks for the shout-out! If it really gave you the motivation to make your own, I'm happy! 

Man, I already had some trouble writing about the 40 games I had completed when I started mine.. you needed to write something about over 100 games! ? Nicely done! I'll make sure to read the comments when I have some time ?

• Like 1

Wolfenstein II. Definitely going to be a real challenge, may be the toughest platinum I'll go for since I am shit at first person shooters.

Definitely do the DLC in The Witcher 3. Definitely worth it, the DLC stories are just as good as the base game. Has some new Gwent cards for you to find and collect.

I don't know which version of LA Noire you have. I'm eager to play through it again even though they should of added a DLC trophy list for the case 'The Consol's Car'. Bastards. It has some new collectibles but they don't look to add anything substantial.

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

Wolfenstein II. Definitely going to be a real challenge, may be the toughest platinum I'll go for since I am shit at first person shooters.

Definitely do the DLC in The Witcher 3. Definitely worth it, the DLC stories are just as good as the base game. Has some new Gwent cards for you to find and collect.

I don't know which version of LA Noire you have. I'm eager to play through it again even though they should of added a DLC trophy list for the case 'The Consol's Car'. Bastards. It has some new collectibles but they don't look to add anything substantial.

Yup! I've already made some decent attempts at Mein Leben in the past but gave up. Managed to get to the second last level and made a stupid mistake and died. It's fucking soul destroying, but this time I'm determined!

Oh shit The Witcher 3 DLC has been on my list for a long time, I've just never gotten around to it. Along with The Frozen Wilds for Horizon Zero Dawn... I'll get there eventually!

I have the PS3 version of LA Noire, I started playing it with the girlfriend but she lost interest so it's sitting in the backlog, I'm quite keen to get back to it actually and I've never played any of the DLC so that should be interesting also.

If you can do Hardcore on Dead Space 2, you can do Wolf 2! I think once I get Wolf 2 done, I'll ride that momentum and jump straight back into Hardcore mode on Dead Space 2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I've decided to resurrect my trophy checklist! So here we go;

:platinum: Platinum #141 - Uncharted Golden Abyss :platinum:

1L47ee8e.png

Story

Nathan Drake is back, but before he was ever there as this is a prequel! and likely not canon anyway so it doesn't even matter!

Nate's chasing some treasure again in South America but this time he gets tangled up with an ex-General who wants to find the treasure before Nate does to fund his revolution, lots of killing and climbing ensues. Also, Sully turns up, but only about two thirds in which is a little disappointing.

The story is fine and typical of an Uncharted game but without all the complex character moments that come with any Naughty Dog game. This one was made by Bend and they did a really good job recreating the Uncharted feel but as I say, something seems missing.

Gameplay

The gameplay is exactly what you'd expect from an Uncharted game with a few new features that show off the various things the Vita can do. For example using the touch screen to reveal pictures on charcoal rubbings, or using the tilt sensors to use a camera or a rifle scope. The aiming is one thing that took me a while to get used to, aiming accurately with the sticks on the Vita is really tricky but you can also tilt the Vita around to move the crosshair which helps you aim for those headshots. The only other complaint I have regarding the gameplay is the quick touch screen prompts. During combat or when landing a sketchy jump, an arrow will appear on the screen which you need to trace with your finger, the problem is it doesn't always pick up that you've done it and you'll fail, this is especially noticeable on the harder difficulties as it seems the timing to complete the prompts are very slim. Doing the two boss fights on Crushing mode had me pulling my hair out because the timings were almost impossible for the touch screen prompts, I had to look up a guide which laid out exactly what the prompts were so I could memorise them and do them before they even came up on the screen. Those are really my only negatives regarding the gameplay though, everything else works great.

Platinum Thoughts

Golden Abyss has all the workings of your normal Uncharted trophy list. Get a certain amount of kills with all the weapons, punch a number of enemies after softening them up with gunfire, find the strange relic, etc. However, there are a lot more collectibles in this one. In addition to the usual treasures and strange relic, there are charcoal rubbings, photo opportunities, unique treasures and worst of all bounties! We'll get to that in a minute though. I actually didn't mind all the extra collectibles though because of the introduction of mysteries. So throughout the game, you had to collect various collectibles and if you got all of one set you would solve a mystery and get some interesting backstory and a trophy. For example, you would have to collect 3 treasures, 2 charcoal rubbings and 4 photos to be able to solve the mystery of what happened to a certain character in the game. I found this really interesting and it actually made me want to go and look for the collectibles on my first playthrough to get the extra bits of story, cause usually, I wouldn't bother and I'd just use a guide on my second playthrough.

Now for the bounties, the thing that almost made me condemn this game and break my Vita. Bounties are another type of collectible in this game and enemies randomly drop them as you kill them but the chances of them dropping are very low. That's right, it's fucking RNG, in an Uncharted game. Now, I understand why these were put in, to utilise the Near feature the Vita has, allowing you to trade them with other players nearby or over the internet. BUT Near was shut down a while back so the only way to earn them now, is to play the same section over and over again hoping they will drop. This took up most of my time getting the platinum and I hated it. So yeah the platinum is as straight forward as the others but the grind for the bounties will take a good chunk of your time. You'll definitely need a guide for the other collectibles and you also need to play the game at least twice as you need to play the game once to unlock Crushing difficulty.

Summary

All in all, I enjoyed this handheld adventure and would recommend it to any fans of the franchise. Beware the bounties though!

Best Bit

Interesting collectible mechanic making you actually want to look for the collectibles to get some back story. Also, Sully.

Worst Bit

The fucking bounties

Arbitrary Rating

7/10

Right, I'm off to 1600 BC or whatever to finish off Far Cry Primal.

:platinum: Platinum #142 - Far Cry Primal :platinum:

1L2cf998.png

Story

The year is 1600 BC or something and you play as Takkar a member of the Wenja tribe in search for the land of Oros. But when you find it, you discover the land is overrun by rival tribes who aren't very nice. So, in particular Far Cry fashion it is your job to liberate the land and claim it for you and your people! The story itself is very basic but fine enough to carry you through the game, game play is definitely king here. One thing of note is the dialogue, as modern language hasn't really been invented yet, everyone speaks with mumbles and grunts. Apparently the developers did a lot of research into the language of our ancestors and the dialogue in this game is as accurate as can be given the knowledge available today, they get an A for effort on that one. I'm no expert but it certainly sounds believable.

Fan favourite and series veteran Hurk also makes an appearance in this game, or distant ancestor of Hurk I should say. His quests offer some lightheartedness in an otherwise serious game.

Gameplay
The gameplay is exactly what you'd expect from a Far Cry game but instead of guns, it's clubs and spears! Everything else is pretty much the same, liberate outposts, utilise stealth, do some missions for some crazy people, etc. The bow and arrow makes a reappearance from previous titles as does the grappling hook which makes traversal fun and fast. One big feature in this game that's different from the others is the beasts mechanic. You can tame various beasts around Oros and have them as companions that help in combat or resource gathering, some you can even ride on making getting around much faster. I really liked the beast mechanic and it later paved the way for the "Fangs for Hire" system in Far Cry 5.

The setting really makes this game what it is, I absolutely loved playing a traditional Far Cry game but in a really unconventional setting. I've said before that I really like the 'in between' FC games like Blood Dragon and New Dawn and after playing this one, I can safely say it's one of my favourites of the whole franchise. I don't want the series to go in an Assassin's Creed direction by any means but it'd be cool to see another FC game in a historical setting to shake things up again.

Platinum Thoughts

The platinum for this game was as straight forward as any other Far Cry games (save for 2) but a bit longer compared to the other 'in between' games in the series. Once I had done all the story missions there were still several side missions to do and in order to get all the skill points to fully level your character you had to complete every single side mission, which I think is strange cause once I did that there wasn't really anything else I could do, so no way to fully utilise my now fully leveled guy. So yeah, it was a little grindy at the end but the platinum time clocks out at about 25 hours, so it doesn't overstay its welcome too much. Everything else pretty much comes naturally as you play, liberate all outposts, fully upgrade your base, skin all the rare animals and as always, shoot an enemy with a bow and arrow from 100m away, which is Far Cry Standard by now.

There's a trophy for finding a Blood Dragon easter egg which I kept til' last so I could get a cool screenshot, I was pretty happy with it so I'm putting it in the spoiler below for all to see :D 

Spoiler

Summary

I loved this unconventional take on Far Cry and I hope for more like it in the future. The setting is king here and I can't believe they actually pulled it off and made it fun. Lobbing spears right through cavemen is tonnes of fun and I really like the animal taming system. The platinum got a bit grindy near the end but I was still having fun so it gets a pass. I wonder what Far Cry 6.5 will be?

Best Bit

The setting. Loved wandering around Oros with no modern technology in sight, taking in the nature and getting attacked by wild animals.

Worst Bit

Getting everywhere on foot can be a little slow at first but once you get the ride-able beasts it all works out.

Arbitrary Rating

8/10

Now I'm going to work on some DLC for Rocket Leaugue. Other than that though I don't have any plans to start anything else, with Christmas round the corner I'm sure there will be some new games under the tree to add to the backlog. Merry Christmas to all who celebrate and a happy new year to all the wonderful people on this site.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jboorad124 said:

I might've missed it but how come you didn't do the third spyro game?

Funnily enough I just started it this weekend and was just about to post an update here to say I started it ?

UPDATE!

So I started Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon this weekend...

I got the Reignited trilogy for Christmas last year and powered through 1 & 2 in about a week, and then I moved on to other stuff without ever starting 3. See, I never actually played 3 as a kid so I had no connection to it where as I played 1 & 2 to death when I was little. I did intend to get around to it but I didn't mean to leave it this long. With Christmas coming next week and with it some new games (I know for a fact I'm getting Death Stranding) I thought it'd be best to finally get the trilogy put to bed before then.

Other than that I'm working on Rocket Leauge. I love the game and it's super fun but some of the trophies are so boring and long winded! I reckon I'll still be working on this in the new year.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

Funnily enough I just started it this weekend and was just about to post an update here to say I started it 1f602.png

UPDATE!

So I started Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon this weekend...

I got the Reignited trilogy for Christmas last year and powered through 1 & 2 in about a week, and then I moved on to other stuff without ever starting 3. See, I never actually played 3 as a kid so I had no connection to it where as I played 1 & 2 to death when I was little. I did intend to get around to it but I didn't mean to leave it this long. With Christmas coming next week and with it some new games (I know for a fact I'm getting Death Stranding) I thought it'd be best to finally get the trilogy put to bed before then.

Other than that I'm working on Rocket Leauge. I love the game and it's super fun but some of the trophies are so boring and long winded! I reckon I'll still be working on this in the new year.

I see, 3 was the one I played the most as a kid so I powered through the first two just so I could play 3 lol. Good luck 100%ing rocket league. I have similar troubles trying to 100% dead by daylight

• Like 1

:platinum: Platinum #143 - Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon :platinum:

1Lbc8c9f.png

Story

Trouble has struck the dragon kingdom! The Sorceress (whoever that is) has stolen all the dragon eggs and Spyro is the only one who can stop her! Moneybags is back to rip you off also.

Gameplay

The game plays the same as the previous two with one major addition. There are 4 hub worlds with several portals within that all lead to individual levels with different themes. Each level has you helping a local and collecting eggs. Once you've helped all the locals in the hub world you can move on to the next one and do it all over again. You need a certain amount of eggs to unlock later levels and 100 in total to unlock the final boss. The major addition this time around is the ability to control different characters. Each hub world has a prisoner, and to free them you need to pay Moneybags a certain amount of gems. Once you free them you can take control of them in certain areas. There's a Kangaroo, a Bird, a Yeti and a Monkey with a gun. You can also take control of Sparx, Spyro's little dragonfly friend, in twin stick shooter style levels.

I liked the addition of these playable characters as it offered a bit of variety in the levels, however none of them are as fun to play as Spyro. The bird has some god awful flying controls and the Yeti levels are just plain BAD, he moves way too slow and there's not really anything interesting about his move set.

I had a lot of fun with the previous two remasters and despite it's issues I enjoyed this one too, although not as much. It can be a little bit janky in places especially regarding the controls of certain characters and vehicles but nothing game-breaking.

Platinum Thoughts

I found it odd that this game doesn't require you to 100% it like the previous ones do. So that made this one the easiest to platinum out of the bunch. I started with good intentions and I 100%'ed each level before moving on to the next one but by the 4th hub world the platinum was in sight so I just did the bare minimum to get it done. I'd like to lie to you and say I'll go back and 100% the levels I missed, but I won't.

The trophies are really simple anyway, most of them you get from just naturally playing and any that are out of the way take minutes to complete.

Summary

For some reason this took me a whole year to get round to. I got the trilogy for Christmas last year and got through the first two in a week, and I just never started this one up. I'm glad I came back to it though cause it is a very fun game and there is definitely a lack of 3D platformers these days, ones that are any good anyway.

Spyro 2 was a game I played a lot when I was a kid so it was amazing revisiting that game looking the way I remember it looking. I'm thankful to Toys for Bob and Vicarious Visions for bringing both Spyro and Crash back with such passion for the originals and amazing attention to detail.

Best Bit

Colourful worlds and addictive collect-a-thon gameplay

Worst Bit

Janky controls when in a vehicle or flying around as the Bird character

Arbitrary Rating

7/10

Finishing this put me in the mood to finally beat that dastardly time trial on Crash Bandicoot and thus put both trilogies to bed.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 1:45 AM, jonesey46 said:

If you can do Hardcore on Dead Space 2, you can do Wolf 2! I think once I get Wolf 2 done, I'll ride that momentum and jump straight back into Hardcore mode on Dead Space 2.

I think you’re wrong mate. 

Dead Space 2 is done in survival horror fashion. That game is much more slower paced than Wolfenstein. You can prepare and expect danger in sections you’ve done two - three times in previous playthroughs. Hard Core is tough, but it’s extremely overrated in difficulty. It’s not as bad as people make it out to be. 

Wolfenstein II on the other hand is a shooter. It’s a first person shooter, so you have to be more precise. The game moves a LOT faster than Dead Space 2. You’re stuck with only 50 health for a good portion of the game for story reasons. Enemies are faster, much more responsive, and tend to be unpredictable. Even if you practiced a section several times over you have a slight chance of dying and starting all over again. There are other things in Wolfenstein II that make it harder for you. There’s a good reason why the platinum is under one percent rarity.

Dead Space 2 is a tough but extremely fair and doable platinum. Wolfenstein II is an entire league above that. The platinum is still very doable, but it’s much more difficult, and there is some RNG to factor in. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

I think you’re wrong mate. 

Dead Space 2 is done in survival horror fashion. That game is much more slower paced than Wolfenstein. You can prepare and expect danger in sections you’ve done two - three times in previous playthroughs. Hard Core is tough, but it’s extremely overrated in difficulty. It’s not as bad as people make it out to be. 

Wolfenstein II on the other hand is a shooter. It’s a first person shooter, so you have to be more precise. The game moves a LOT faster than Dead Space 2. You’re stuck with only 50 health for a good portion of the game for story reasons. Enemies are faster, much more responsive, and tend to be unpredictable. Even if you practiced a section several times over you have a slight chance of dying and starting all over again. There are other things in Wolfenstein II that make it harder for you. There’s a good reason why the platinum is under one percent rarity.

Dead Space 2 is a tough but extremely fair and doable platinum. Wolfenstein II is an entire league above that. The platinum is still very doable, but it’s much more difficult, and there is some RNG to factor in. 

Yeah you're right. I've attempted Wolf2 a lot more than DS2, on Mein Leben I made it all the way to the Venus level which is the second last level and fucking died from the dumbest thing, in DS2 I've never even made it to the spot where I wanted to put my FIRST save (I think chapter 6 or 7).

I think my reasoning behind thinking they're similar is that despite DS2 on Hardcore being objectively easier than Mein Leben in Wolf2, DS2 has tension and it's atmosphere tends to stress me out even more on top of trying not to die.

I still haven't done either but I have been thinking about DS2 recently and I'm planning on attempting Hardcore again after all these years soon. I don't even think I can look at Wolf 2 anymore. 

34 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

Yeah you're right. I've attempted Wolf2 a lot more than DS2, on Mein Leben I made it all the way to the Venus level which is the second last level and fucking died from the dumbest thing, in DS2 I've never even made it to the spot where I wanted to put my FIRST save (I think chapter 6 or 7).

Wolfenstein was one of my all time favorite franchises. Played the old 3D game from 20+ years ago, played and enjoyed Return to Castle Wolfenstein, even considered the somewhat crappy 2009 game to be a little enjoyable.

I enjoyed everything until Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. They went too far with the stealth and you basically have to use stealth because you get destroyed too quickly otherwise because of the 50 health you're stuck with. Story was too much into political crap.

That's still pretty good you made it as far as Venus, maybe you can give me some tips later on.

Dead Space 2 is definitely tough in parts. I made a save at the beginning of Chapter 5 because I didn't feel confident waiting until the end of Chapter 6 where you align the satellites. There's a freefalling section that leads into Chapter 7, but due to pressure I ended up dying there a few times and having to backtrack from Chapter 5. I also died on the grinder bit in Chapter 12, and the infamous Eye Poke machine.

Still with three saves and being slower paced, much easier than Wolfenstein II.

• Like 1

100% Achieved - Crash Bandicoot ?

L477428.png

DLC

S0a82d6.png

Crash Bandicoot: Lost Treasures

DLC Thoughts

This game is fucking hard yo. It's my understanding that this level (Stormy Ascent) was cut from the original because it was too hard, but the lovely people at Vicarious Visions decided to remake the level and put it in as free DLC. Beating the level normally is hard enough but you also need to get Gold or higher in the time trial.

So I beat the level and got that trophy not long after it came out and then started to attempt the time trial. That was in August 2017. I drove myself spare trying to do this time trial. The issue isn't even the time you need to get, to be honest the times for the relic are actually really generous, the issue is beating the level without dying.

This may not be hard for some people, hell the rarity on this trophy is over 12% which is pretty good. But for me, getting the platinum was hard enough, this level just took the biscuit for me.

Anyway, after all these years of trying it on and off, I finally got it. I sat down, got comfortable, did a quick breathing exercise, breathed in, breathed out and calmly attempted the level. Within half an hour I was done. I was so proud in fact that I uploaded my run to YouTube which you can view below.

I was very happy to put this game and the trilogy to bed after completing the Spyro trilogy too.

Hope you all had a good Christmas, thanks for reading!

I got a nice haul for Christmas including Death Stranding (which I'm loving so far btw), A Plague Tale: Innocence and Control so I'm off to play them :D 

Edited by jonesey46
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

100% Achieved - Minecraft ?

Lc40a1d.png

DLC

S0f8f37.pngSf726b0.png

Expansion Pack 11

Expansion Pack 12

DLC Thoughts

I'll be honest, for these trophies I used the trophy/achievement world (see HERE). I love this game to death and have been playing it for 10 years since Alpha, Minecraft is a relaxing game for me, which is why I always use the easy way for getting trophies cause I don't like worrying about all the menial tasks I need to do, I just like playing it and doing whatever I want.

Having said that though, right after unlocking all the trophies in the above mentioned world, me and the girlfriend started a brand new world and started checking out some of the new stuff. I honestly hope Mojang/4J keep putting out updates forever cause I could honestly play this game forever. I haven't had a chance to play about with the bees yet but everything from Expansion 11 is great, my girlfriend especially likes the lost treasure and structure stuff. 

I hope you all had a lovely new year :)