jonesey46's Trophy Travels

jonesey46

I'm back at work after quarantine and things have been a bit hectic but I think it's about time I get this thread back on track.

💯 100% Achieved - Dying Light 💯

La24a2c.png

Personal History

I bought this game shortly after it came out absolutely loved it. I still remember boosting the Polyamory trophy with someone the night before Fallout 4 released. I wanted to finish the game so I could play Fallout 4 non-stop (which I did btw, no regrets). The DLC trophies released after this but I had no interest in getting them, back then the platinum was enough for me. I did however pick up The Following, as it was a huge expansion for the main game with a whole new story that I wanted to play, but I never even finished it because to be honest, the wide open areas of The Following weren't as fun as the dense cities of the main game. Anyway, lock down had just begun and I wanted to clear another PS4 game off my list, I was avoiding this because of the notoriously difficult Parkour Fever trophies and the pain in the ass Bozak Horde trophies. Little did I know, they'd be a walk in the park...

Sfe0307.png

Parkour Fever

The first of 3 (or potentially 4, with the release of Hellraid coming soon) DLC's to be released for Dying Light with trophy support. This is the one that stops a lot of people getting 100% considering the rarest trophy is only at 1.90%. This rarity put the fear into me before attempting this, and I didn't make it any better by reading various threads on the forums about how hard this DLC can be.

Parkour Fever adds several parkour challenges around both maps for the main game. These are Mirror's Edge style challenges requiring you to get from point A to B passing through various checkpoints and under a certain amount of time. This was honestly the most fun I'd had in the game. The courses were a little challenging but nothing like what people on here make them out to be. Each one took me no more than a few tries each. It's all about finding the best route and practicing that route until you can do it flawlessly. Sometimes the janky controls can work against you but it's nothing you can't get used to.

Trophy wise there's two involving completing all the courses, one for doing it during the day and one for doing them at night. This game is harder at night due to the volitiles but to be honest if you're running slow enough for one of them to catch you, you're not going to make it. No point in doing the same thing twice so whack up your brightness, sleep until night fall and crack them out, as soon as it reaches day time, find a bed, repeat. The other trophy is for collecting GRE chests in a quarantine zone. This trophy has nothing to do with parkour so I'm not sure why it was added, but anyway it's super easy and can be done in 10 minutes.

Se8da82.png

The Bozak Horde DLC

This is the other DLC I was dreading. The Bozak Horde is like a Saw style challenge map where you need to complete various challenges all under one time limit, and you have limited lives. If you don't do it in time, your head explodes. The challenges vary from parkour, to disabling bombs and killing brute zombies. Honestly I found this DLC to be an absolute blast. It's very similar to the parkour challenges in that it's all about flow and finding the best route to completing the challenges and getting to the next one.

Difficulty wise, it does take a good bit of practice to be able to do this in the time limit it asks you. It can be done in co-op with up to 4 people but for each player, a couple of minutes is taken off the target time, to even out the odds. It's recommended to do it as a team of 2 but I actually managed to make the time solo and I was super proud of myself for doing so. I did end up doing it in co-op too, for a specific trophy where you have to kill your team mate at the end. 

This can be very intimidating at the start but if you stick with it, it can be a whole lot of fun.

S6eb53a.png

The Following DLC

Last but not least (for now, anyway) it's The Following. This was a huge expansion, opening up a whole new map, with a new story line and new game mechanics, most notably the buggy. The new map is about as large as the two original maps combined but it's very open this time, with most of the map being comprised of empty fields. This is to facilitate the new buggy you can drive around. This buggy can be upgraded with higher quality parts and mods for killing zombies easier, like electric barbs for example.

I'll be honest I was underwhelmed by this expansion and it's because of the map. All the magic from the main game came from the densely packed urban areas and traversing the environment to get away from all the deadly zombies. There's none of this here as you just drive everywhere with your buggy. You have to pull over every now and then to repair a broken part or refill your fuel tank but otherwise, you barely ever leave the thing.

There's still a lot of fun to be had here but you might get a bit bored with the environments as they're just not as interesting as what the main game offers. The plot is okay, it's about a cult who worships the zombies (how original) and it gives you a choice at the end which will seemingly have massive repercussions for the wider universe. I'll be excited to see how they handle this in the sequel, that's if it ever comes out.

Summary

Dying Light would have been my game of 2015 if it wasn't for MGSV. And my love for this game was reinforced by coming back for the DLC all these years later. I had an absolute blast with this game and I was really upset to find out the sequel had been delayed indefinitely. Oh well, at least we have Hellraid coming soon. If you're planning on playing this game I'd definitely recommend it and please do not be discouraged by the challenging trophies as they can all be done with a little practice.

---

Next up will be my take on L.A. Noire. See you around!

Edited by jonesey46

Hit 10,000 trophies last night and I manipulated it a little so this was the one for the milestone.

Ghost of Tsushima

Platinum Trophy

1L34b0d3.png

Living Legend

Obtain all trophies.

What an absolutely beautiful trophy image for an absolutely beautiful game. I loved every minute of it.

Here's to 10,000 more!

Edited by jonesey46
  • Like 1

:platinum: Platinum #154 - L.A. Noire :platinum:

L0e1d1a.png

Introduction

I initially borrowed this game from a friend back in 2011 as I was short on funds at the time, mostly because we were all heading out on a lads holiday to Magaluf. I specifically remember playing one of the cases on the arson desk the night before our flight. Anyway, since it was borrowed I was under a little pressure to just finish the story and hand it back, meaning there was no extra time to go after the platinum. Here we are, 9 years later, and I finally picked up my own copy to knock out the platinum, I also picked up the season pass so I could play all the extra cases and get 100%. I enjoyed my time with it, although it gets a little tedious toward the end.

Story

L.A. Noire is set in the late 1940's, not long after WWII had ended. You play as Cole Phelps, a war veteran and decorated hero who has taken a job as a police officer. After solving a few cases whilst on the beat Cole gets promoted to become a detective and from there, the only way is up. Cole is tasked with solving cases over several desks, and it doesn't take long to figure out that all these cases are actually linked to a much bigger case which puts the whole of L.A. in danger.

Gameplay

There really isn't anything like L.A. Noire. You could say it's a detective simulator. The game has you driving around L.A. going to various locations to investigate robberies, car crashes, murders, drug overdoses and house fires. Each time you arrive at these locations you must investigate the area, find clues and interrogate witnesses. Follow the chain of evidence and eventually bring someone to justice. But did you bring the guilty to justice? Or did you put an innocent person away? That all depends on how good of a detective you are.

When interrogating people you can decide if they are telling the truth, doubt their claims or flat out say they are lying, but make sure you have the evidence to back it up! What makes L.A. Noire special is the facial capture. This was before games were all acted by the people playing their voices, with little black dots all over their face. L.A. Noire broke new ground with this capture technology and the game is probably responsible for the whole industry following suit (citation needed, I really am just guessing). Anyway, the facial capture means that each person you interrogate has realistic facial expressions, and little nods to give away if they're lying or telling the truth. If they're lying they might be avoiding eye contact, and if they're telling the truth they may look all smug. You get the idea. This feature, coupled with the crime scene investigation mechanic, means that it really is up to you and your success depends on you being a good enough detective. This is what makes this game truly special.

There's free roam around L.A. but apart from collectibles and one particular case it's rather pointless. There's also shooting mechanics, which are fine, but not the main event. The shooting is a lot like GTA IV's. The game was published by Rockstar and uses their engine, but the similarities end there, this isn't a GTA game.

Platinum Thoughts

The platinum is fairly straight forward. 5 starring all cases is a pain without a guide, and even with a guide if you don't use the right one (the one on here is misleading at times). After that there's a couple of chapter specific tasks, some combat related trophies and all the collectibles. The collectibles are a little silly, especially the one for driving all the cars. That was my second last trophy and I just ended up causing a traffic jam and jumping into every car I could see til' I collected them all, kinda dumb if you ask me.

Summary

A fantastic detective simulator and the setting of 1940's America where everyone's wearing a suit and a trilby is brilliant. Get's a little tedious towards the end but I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it.

Best Bit

The freedom of solving cases all by yourself

Worst Bit

Grindy collectibles and the endless colour palette of brown gets tiring to look at after a while.

Arbitrary Rating

8/10

---

DLC

S0fe8c9.pngS142876.pngS824387.pngS9322e5.png

A Slip of the Tongue

The Naked City

Nicholson Electroplating

Reefer Madness

DLC Thoughts

There were 5 additional cases added into the game that could be integrated into the main game so that you could play them as part of the main story. I liked this feature although I never took advantage of it as I downloaded them after I got the platinum. Only 4 of those cases had trophy support. Never understood why the 5th one didn't.

All additional cases were top quality and honestly just added more of the same, with no real changes. This was fine though as solving cases in this game is exactly what you want to do.

Trophy wise they were all straight forward. However, there was one particular trophy that gave me grief, and that was 'Bulletproof Windshield' from the Arson case. This trophy is for killing the drivers of two cars before they pull up and get out. The shooting in this game isn't exactly fast paced, and the drivers pull up extremely fast so it was just a case of retrying over and over until you get lucky enough to pull it off. Took me well over 20 tries.

Unfortunately I don't have much more to say on the DLC, it's just more of the same, which is a good thing.

---

Slowly getting there... Next up will be Resident Evil 2 (remake) which, spoiler alert, I absolutely loved.

Edited by jonesey46
  • Like 1

LA Noire was pretty innovative for it's time. It did something different with the openworld genre as most others were going for the GTA formula. I completed it for the 360 a good while ago and I looked at it when it was remastered for PS4 but the end grind has put me off. I remember trying to find a few of those cars that just would only spawn in certain locations and then only very rarely. On top of that the film reel and the locations. The cases were fun though and after Bully is maybe my favorite open world game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

Trophy wise they were all straight forward. However, there was one particular trophy that gave me grief, and that was 'Bulletproof Windshield' from the Arson case. This trophy is for killing the drivers of two cars before they pull up and get out. The shooting in this game isn't exactly fast paced, and the drivers pull up extremely fast so it was just a case of retrying over and over until you get lucky enough to pull it off. Took me well over 20 tries.

I remember playing this game when it first came out and not using a guide, but since i was poor and didn't have a plethora of games like I do now, I had the time to go through and platinum it. Looking back at it now in my profile, I see that I'm missing 3 trophies including that one for the DLC, I should go back and clean those up. The nice part about when this game came out is that the DLC came out really shortly after (or they had them finished and waited to make more money ?). From what I remember though, I really did like solving the cases and being a detective in that era.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

I remember playing this game when it first came out and not using a guide, but since i was poor and didn't have a plethora of games like I do now, I had the time to go through and platinum it. Looking back at it now in my profile, I see that I'm missing 3 trophies including that one for the DLC, I should go back and clean those up. The nice part about when this game came out is that the DLC came out really shortly after (or they had them finished and waited to make more money 1f612.png). From what I remember though, I really did like solving the cases and being a detective in that era.

If you 5 starred all the cases without a guide then I salute you. Maybe they should make that a requirement in the application for being an actual detective haha.

There's no way I could have 5 starred the cases without a guide. My initial play through was blind of course and I think that's the best way to do it, even if you end up putting the wrong people away! 

Not even sure if I'm going to do the PS4 remaster of LA Noire. Wasted opportunity to add some DLC trophies since one of the DLC cases doesn't have a trophy list attached to it. *sigh*

Played it when it came out on the Xbox 360 in May 2011. I recall walking into Best Buy in my local town and seeing fresh copies of LA Noire right out in front being sold for $59.99 on the stand. Watched a YouTube channel named TheMediaCows for help on the cases. Back when YouTube videos could only be 15 minutes in length.

I was an avid watcher of Mad Men. Seen the television series and thought it was great that a number of those actors would be in LA Noire.

Personally I would rather get a spiritual successor to LA Noire or Sleeping Dogs than a Spider-Man game with Miles.

• Like 1

:platinum: Platinum #155 - Resident Evil 2 :platinum:

Lcd4cce.png

Introduction

Firstly, I never played the original, I was 4 at the time and it would be very bad parenting if my mum let me play that game. I played Dino Crisis when I was like 6 or 7 and that shit gave me nightmares (but it was awesome though, speaking of, when are we getting a Dino Crisis remake? It would be so good in the RE Engine). Secondly, the only other Resident Evil game I had played before this one was 5, which doesn't exactly get the best rep among fans. So I was relatively new to the whole experience when I booted this up for the first time. I had very little knowledge of what I was getting myself into but I can honestly say this is one of the best games I've played this generation.

Story

Set in 1998, Racoon City gets overrun by flesh eating zombies. Leon S. Kennedy and Claire Redfield are making their way to Racoon City around the time the outbreak happens and get overrun once they arrive. Their only hope for survival is to link up at the Racoon City Police Department and wait for rescue. As they arrive at the station they find it's also been overrun and their fight for survival begins.

Gameplay

First thing I should mention is that this game has two campaigns (technically 4 with the A and B scenarios but they don't change THAT much). Both very similar but both completely different with different areas and weapons. This blew my mind and was awesome to see the little links to each of the campaigns throughout both of them. You can play as either Leon or Claire and both of their respective campaigns are as good as each others.

The RE2 remake is a complete overhaul of the original game, I mean for all intents and purposes it is a totally new game. The original had fixed camera angles but this one is a third person shooter, giving you much more control of how your character moves and what you can see in the environment. The majority of the game is set in the Raccoon City Police Department, which I absolutely love. It's like a bottle episode of a TV Show, which are always my favourites. It's kind of similar to Batman Arkham Asylum, in that the area is quite small to begin with but as you progress you gather keys and puzzle items that open up more areas of the building. There's an amazing sense of progression in this game. Every new room you go into either has an item you might need to survive like ammo or a healing item, or a quest item that will open up a new door or a new chest or something. It's amazing entering a room and finding some random item and saying to yourself "ooh, that'll open up that thing downstairs!". There's always little breadcrumbs that keep you going and it was honestly my favourite part of the game.

Combat wise I think the game nailed it. You start out with a little pistol and as you progress the game you gain more powerful weapons like a flame thrower, shotgun, grenade launcher etc. Ammo can be quite scarce so you really need to be careful with your shots. Zombies don't go down in a couple of hits and the harder enemies like the mutated lickers, or the vine monsters take even more firepower. There's a bunch of bosses too and most boil down to shoot the big eye, but they're all really fun and unique in their own way.

Honestly my favourite part of this game was the puzzles. They were all ludicrous and made no sense in the context of the real world but at the same time seemed natural and right at home in it's own world. I loved solving the little portable safes and my absolute favourite was the chess puzzle in the underground section.

Platinum Thoughts

The platinum in this game does take some work but I was having so much fun with the game that I didn't mind a bit. It requires several playthroughs but one of the most satisfying things about this game is playing it over and over with the knowledge of previous runs. My first playthrough as Leon managed to last 20 hours, after that I was beating the game much faster and eventually had it done in under 4 hours. The list is pretty standard for a RE game from what I've gathered. You need to beat both campaigns on the highest difficulty and with an S rank, and there's also trophies for beating the game without healing, using an item box, and even one for beating it in less than 14,000 steps! Then there's a bunch of trophies for doing really standard actions, most of which you will probably unlock on your first playthrough. There's nothing overly challenging here and I reckon most players, regardless of skill, could get the platinum in this game.

Summary

I didn't expect to love this game as much as I did but here we are. I'm still a little hesitant on the remake of 3 because it hasn't reviewed amazingly well, but I will definitely pick it up once it's down to a decent price. This game really sparked something in me, so much so that I was playing through it more times than necessary for the platinum, just cause I wanted to play it more. Most games burn you out by the end of it these days, and that's probably down to everything being open world. I really hope more games like this come out as a result of its success, and what I mean by that is, games that are very focused and intricately designed, a small to medium sized adventure with clear goals in mind. Rather than trying to do everything all at once in a vast, but ultimately empty, world. Even after finishing this game I still hadn't had enough because for weeks after, I was watching speedrun, glitch and mod videos just to get that Raccoon City fix.

Best Bit

Insane amount of replayability, intricate world and clever puzzles.

Worst Bit

Most negatives in this game would be nitpicking but if I had to pick one thing it would be the Sherry segment on Claire's run. It gets a little tedious after the first time.

Arbitrary Rating

9/10

---

DLC

S32fff1.pngS2c7a23.png

The Ghost Survivors

Another Survivor

DLC Thoughts

The Ghost Survivors was released for free and contains various what if? scenario levels where characters who die in the main campaign actually survive and have to fight a load of zombies. These were nice little challenging levels and all of them play out very similarly but with different weapons and enemies. The most notable part of this DLC is definitely the Hell of a Sheriff trophy from the No Way Out scenario. No Way Out has you in the petrol station from the very start of the game fighting off hordes of zombies. Because this is in such a closed area, it can be very difficult and took me several attempts to finish it. You start off with a pistol and you have to kill 100 zombies to escape. The zombies can range from the regular type zombies, to new types such as armored, poison and these pale guys who take a lot to go down. Some zombies have backpacks that drop new weapons or ammo and it is so important to keep rotating your weapons, but you need to save the super powerful ones for when you're in a no way out situation; see what I did there? This mode was super challenging but so satisfying to pull off in the end.

Another Survivor was just a quick update encouraging players to return to Raccoon City in order to find a note from Jill Valentine alluding to the upcoming Resident Evil 3 remake. It was nothing more than a promo for the new game but to be honest I think it's really cool and would love to see more of this in games. Since I played this after the release of RE3, I picked up the note on my first playthrough and had no idea what it was, so the effect was completely lost on me. It must have been cool for the die-hard fans though.

---

Whew that was fun. Resident Evil wise my next post will be for 4 which is like 8 posts away (fucking hell). Next up will be my hot take on Spec Ops: The Line that you definitely won't have ever read before. /s. BYE!

Edited by jonesey46

I'd give Spec Ops: The Line a 7 out of 10 myself.

Nolan North is a good voice actor, we all know this, but far too often I just heard Nathan Drake speak to his two comrades. We see more sinister events happen in the story, one good reason why this game is rated M for Mature instead of T for Teen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

I'd give Spec Ops: The Line a 7 out of 10 myself.

Nolan North is a good voice actor, we all know this, but far too often I just heard Nathan Drake speak to his two comrades. We see more sinister events happen in the story, one good reason why this game is rated M for Mature instead of T for Teen.

Yeah at the start of the game he is just Nathan Drake, but as the game goes on and he starts to lose his humanity he sounds more unique. I think Nolan always does a good job but he too often uses his normal voice (Drake voice) and it's all you can hear. But there's times where I've not even realised it was him until checking the credits, for instance David in The Last of Us.

• Like 1

Nolan North also did work in Batman: Arkham City. Played the Penguin, so he is definitely versatile.

Spec Ops I feel is vastly underrated. Personally I think Sleeping Dogs deserved more credit, but Spec Ops was definitely a game that many people skipped over.

:platinum: Platinum #156 - Spec Ops: The Line :platinum:

L6e0848.png

Introduction

This game passed me by when it came out, and that's probably due to it looking like a generic military shooter. It was only a couple of years later that I started to hear about it, about how it's one of the best video game stories ever created. So naturally I had to see what the fuss was about. Honestly, I beat this game and it kind of messed me up a little, which is why I left it so long to platinum. Don't get me wrong, I love the story and think it's amazing, but the whole thing is just so unsettling that I never felt like playing it again, until now of course. There's another game that came out recently that also had this effect on me, and we'll definitely get to that soon I promise. I also left it because I had heard FUBAR difficulty was ridiculously hard and I definitely didn't want to put myself through that. Anyway, it didn't take me 6 years to get over this game, it probably only took a couple of weeks but by that point I had moved on to other stuff and this just got deeper into the back log. I'm definitely glad I came back to it because the whole experience is fantastic.

Story

Dubai has been turned into a wasteland by a really bad sandstorm and all communication in and out of Dubai has been halted. A regiment of the US Army known as "The Damned 33rd", led by John Konrad, enter Dubai on their way back from Afghanistan to rescue any survivors but they are never heard from again. A few weeks later, Captain Martin Walker and his Delta team are sent in to locate the 33rd and their leader, and to rescue any survivors. Nothings ever that simple obviously, and as Delta team make their way deeper into Dubai they begin to realise something seriously bad has happened here, and they're forced to make decisions that will cost more than they could ever understand.

Gameplay

Earlier I said that this game passed me by due to it looking like a generic military shooter. And that's exactly what it is, but it's like that by design. This game is more of a commentary on the massive amount of military shooters we had at the time and how all of them portray war as this super fun action movie. The game is fun to play, don't get me wrong, but what you need to do to progress the story is designed to make you think about the actual impact war has on people.

Anyway, the game is a third person shooter with a cover mechanic and lots of guns to use. Simple as that. The main thing that sets this game apart, game play wise, is your team mates. You have 2 other guys with you at all times and you can direct them to take cover wherever you want, you can get them to take out specific targets, you can get them to deploy smoke grenades and you can order them to heal each other when one of them goes down.

And that's your lot pretty much. The game has you going through various areas of Dubai, which is now absolutely covered in sand. There's various moments where you can break glass that has sand behind it to take out enemies, and there's a few fixed turret sections which will make you pull your hair out on FUBAR difficulty. The game play isn't the main event here though, it's the story. But the game play is serviceable and definitely fun enough to carry you through the game.

Platinum Thoughts

Platinum wise this game is pretty straight forward, it definitely requires 2 playthroughs as there's two trophies for each of the decisions you make throughout the game and FUBAR, the hardest difficulty, unlocks after one full playthrough. There's the usual collectible intel items, and gun specific trophies for killing a certain number of enemies. The only trophy here that will give you a hard time is the previously mentioned FUBAR difficulty. Completing the game on this difficulty is no easy feat, enemies take you down in 2-3 hits and are relentless. Honestly though, it's really not that bad, checkpoints are very frequent and it never feels like you're not making progress. There's some really tricky spots that you'll have to retry over and over (the fucking parking garage amitrite?) but if you keep at it you'll get through it eventually.

Summary

A military shooter with an absolutely amazing story that is not for the faint of heart. I would recommend this game to anyone who is a fan of a good story, regardless of preferred genre. It still gets talked about today and I imagine it'll be talked about for many years to come.

Best Bit

Mind blowing and unsettling story

Worst Bit

FUBAR difficulty can be hugely frustrating at parts

Arbitrary Rating

7/10 (that's for the whole package, story is easily 9/10, gameplay brings it down, it's still a game after all)

---

Next up will be a quick one on Doom 64.

Edited by jonesey46

• 2 weeks later...

💯 100% Achieved - Doom 64 💯

Lebf010.png

Introduction

This came free with my pre-order of Doom Eternal. I had never played this game before due to never having a Nintendo 64 so I was glad to see it come to Playstation. While nowhere near as good as Doom or Doom 2, there's still a lot of fun to be had in this retro shooter.

Story

I don't fucking know, Doom guy is pissed or some shit and wants to kill demons.

Gameplay

Doom 64 plays a lot like Doom and Doom 2, it's a retro shooter in a 3D world with 2D sprites. It's gory as hell and it's super fun. The main differences are mostly cosmetic; a lot of the popular demons from the original return but with new skins. Most of the weapons are the same too, but with new skins and only minor changes to how they shoot. There are 32 levels in total, which includes secret levels and a few "fun" levels. "Fun" levels are a new addition to the Doom games, they offer more of a challenge to the regular maps by dropping you into ridiculous scenarios with limited weapons and lots of demons. Main campaign wise though, the maps follow a similar pattern to the originals, you start out in a space base and eventually end up in Hell. Doom 64 is definitely a good game and can stand up along side the originals, however there is one issue with the game that once you notice it, you'll have a hard time 'un-noticing' it. See, the Nintendo 64 was obviously a lot more limited on memory than a PC, so while the original Doom games could throw a good variety of enemies at you on any given map, Doom 64 has to resort to some cheap tactics in order to extend the time you'll be playing each map. These tactics? Barons. Fucking loads of them. Barons are the big red guys with bulls heads and they take a lot of hits to go down, and when you fight 6-8 of them in a row, it can get a little tedious and boring. Other than that though, the game is great.

Trophy Thoughts

The trophies for this game are laughably easy and actually insulting to any fans of the game. Again, due to memory constraints, Doom 64 uses a password system in order to jump to certain levels rather than progress saves. Due to this you can jump to any level using passwords, which completely trivializes all the trophies in the game. No harm in playing this game even if you hate it, cause you can 100% in less than an hour.

Summary

Now, I am guilty of using the password system to knock out those trophies, and I'm not proud of it. BUT, after playing through the entirety of Doom and Doom 2 in order to get the platinum for Doom 3 BFG Edition (more on that later) I went back to Doom 64 to play it in its entirety. And I had a great time, it's genuinely a really good game. However, I do believe that having knowledge of the original games helps out a lot.

It was nice to play through it after finding out that it's canon and that Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal are its sequels. I really like shit like that.

Best Bit

The retro style still holds up and the gameplay is still very satisfying

Worst Bit

4dtf6i.jpg

Arbitrary Rating

7/10

---

Another quick one next as I'll be writing about the DLC for Journey to the Savage Planet.

Edited by jonesey46
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 1:56 PM, jonesey46 said:

Just busted my ass to get the platinum for Dead Space Extraction and I can't even get it cause there's a bronze trophy for playing split screen and I don't have a second DS3 1f602.png lol

DS3 controllers are hard to come by now. They want a LOT for the real Sony controllers, meanwhile Amazon and eBay are completely flooded with cheap, shitty Chinese knockoffs that can't perform half as good.

I just plug in my DS4 controller from my PS4 into the PS3 console, and it works great. I recommend you try that and just have your regular DS3 by the second player.

How is Dead Space Extraction by the way?

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 6:44 AM, Spaz said:

DS3 controllers are hard to come by now. They want a LOT for the real Sony controllers, meanwhile Amazon and eBay are completely flooded with cheap, shitty Chinese knockoffs that can't perform half as good.

I just plug in my DS4 controller from my PS4 into the PS3 console, and it works great. I recommend you try that and just have your regular DS3 by the second player.

How is Dead Space Extraction by the way?

Sadly plugging in the ol' DS4 doesn't work with Dead Space Extraction as the game just doesn't recognize it. I'd wager it has something to do with the sixaxis cause the game relies on it a fair bit.

I actually really enjoyed my time with it and got really immersed in the world and story. I've not got much experience with on rails shooters so I don't how it stacks up in the genre, but as a DS fan I thought it was really good. It's a prequel to the first game and it does offer some nice insight as to what happened on the Ishimura, as well as letting you blast through familiar areas from the main game.

The only pain is the collectibles. Cause it's on rails you only have a brief window to collect them and there's a couple that are on the screen for literally half a second. All chapters are replayable though and nothing is missable.

I plan on buying a second PS3 soon to start self boosting some old titles. I'll just use the DS3 that comes with that to unlock the platinum. It's a shame cause it'll literally take 5 seconds to pop it but ach well, I don't mind waiting.

3 minutes ago, Spaz said:

From what I see you need multiple people to boost those older games on the PS3.

There's a few I can self boost, either to completion or leaving out one or two trophies. Tbh I'd rather do as much as possible by myself before setting up sessions.

I know there's a couple of my older PSN arcade games I can complete with 2 PS3s, and a few bigger games with co-op like Fear 3 and Dead Rising 2 but to be honest the main reason I want a second PS3 is to do the majority of the Far Cry 2 grind. Getting all the manuals, save for the multi-kill ones, will literally take me half the time it would if I were to do it with another player.

Time for a very quick update because I've been slowly pumping out my little reviews for games I've completed but I'm chewing up games at a rate I can't keep up with. I'll keep the little reviews coming because I care about consistency but at this rate I'll be well in to next year before I'm caught up. And I probably still won't be ready to properly articulate my thoughts on The Last of Us Part II :P 

Just gonna overview what I've completed and what I'm working on.

Completed Games (since my last update post)

• Minecraft - This had a quick update with a few trophies, knocked them out in 10 minutes using an achievement world. Easy peasy.
  • Doom 3 - I fucking did it! Completed Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3, Lost Mission and Resurrection of Evil. What a fucking journey, nightmare mode was a bitch. Loved it all though.
  • Mass Effect 2 - Continued my Shepherds story and whilst this one felt disjointed from the first game, the amazing characters, old and new, more than make up for that.
  • Ghost of Tsushima - Personal GOTY so far, loved every minute of it. Best open world game I've played since Horizon probably.
  • Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered - Had to do it. This game was my adolescence. Enjoyed revisiting this campaign and was seriously impressed at the quality of remaster.
  • Human Fall Flat - Had another free level added so the girlfriend and I knocked it out in an afternoon. Always fun to play co-op and the trophies weren't anywhere near as frustrating as some of the others.
  • Mass Effect 3 - It was obvious I was going to round out the trilogy and holy shit this game almost made me cry. Amazing end to the series.
  • The Crew - Holy shit I actually did it. Managed to avoid all glitched trophies and grinded my way to victory. Definitely the hardest I've ever worked for a platinum.
  • Control - Second DLC released and I loved it. Although not as meaty as the first, it was still a nice addition to the game.
  • A Way Out - The girlfriend and I played through this and with our low expectations going in, we were actually really impressed with it. Ended up being a lot of fun.
  • The Outer Worlds - Peril on Gorgon came out and I had a decent time with it. Combat is till lacking in this game big time, but the dialogue is top notch and this DLC added plenty of that.
  • Minecraft Dungeons - I never thought they'd release new trophies for this cause the first expansion came out months ago with no trophies. They decided to release them all at once with the second expansion. The girlfriend and I played through both expansions in co-op and we had a great time with it. Tbh the new levels were lacking a bit but if you've got a partner to play with it makes it 100 times better.

Games I'm working on

• Resident Evil 7 Biohazard - I love this game! Platinum'd it and just making my way through the DLC which I'm seriously impressed with. Shouldn't be too much longer on this.
  • Dead Space Extraction - Got every trophy bar one, which requires playing 2 player couch co-op. I don't have a second Dualshock 3 so I need to buy one to get this platinum. Typical.
  • The Last of Us Part II - I've come around to this game, but I do not intend to play it again so soon. Just platinum'd it whilst bagging the perma-death DLC trophy. Only got Grounded left to do but again, no chance I'm playing this again so soon.
  • Dead Space 2 - Finally going for the Hardcore trophy, made it to my first save but it only gets worse from here. I'm going to be taking my time with this one.

Once I've finished Resi7 I think I'm going to delve into Call of Duty Infinite Warfare and it's overly complicated zombies mode. It'll probably take a lot of practice but it'll be a nice platinum and 100% to have.

As for new games I'm only interested in Cyberpunk 2077 and maybe Crash 4, but with the PS5 so close I might end up waiting until I can play them on that. If only we knew the release date and price ?

Right, Im off. Next little review will be for the DLC of Journey to the Savage Planet which I will hopefully have the motivation to do today or tomorrow.

I made saves in Dead Space 2 at the start of Chapter 5, somewhere around Chapter 10 and finally just after the eye poke machine.

Getting from Chapter 10 to after the eye poke machine was a completely nerve wracking experience. Honestly the machine itself wasn't that hard at all once you knew what to do. But making a big mistake that cost you around a couple hours of progress was never fun.

I followed a guide on YouTube and sort of strategized as I went along.

Still one of the most thrilling platinums on the PS3. Hard Core is far easier than Mein Leben in Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. You can literally go at a snail's pace in Dead Space 2 on Hardcore, much of my time was spent managing my inventory after spending money at the various vendors, then upgrading my favorite weapons to their fullest.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

I made saves in Dead Space 2 at the start of Chapter 5, somewhere around Chapter 10 and finally just after the eye poke machine.

Getting from Chapter 10 to after the eye poke machine was a completely nerve wracking experience. Honestly the machine itself wasn't that hard at all once you knew what to do. But making a big mistake that cost you around a couple hours of progress was never fun.

I followed a guide on YouTube and sort of strategized as I went along.

Still one of the most thrilling platinums on the PS3. Hard Core is far easier than Mein Leben in Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. You can literally go at a snail's pace in Dead Space 2 on Hardcore, much of my time was spent managing my inventory after spending money at the various vendors, then upgrading my favorite weapons to their fullest.

I've made my first save at the end of chapter 3 which is early but it gives me peace of mind that I won't need to play the intro again, cause that gets old real fast. If only Wolfenstein 2 had that too cause fuck me watching that intro over and over again would make you go insane.

Plan to do my next saves at chapter 8 and chapter 12. But that may change depending on how confident I'm feeling once I get there.

I'm currently rocking the Forged plasma cutter with the contact beam, detonator and line gun. Along with the Forged engineer suit. I had the supernova pack which I downloaded years ago, don't remember doing it but thanking my younger self that I did. Gives me buffs to damage and health per health pack, along with increased inventory from the get go.

Looking forward to playing some more this weekend.

💯 100% (Re)Achieved - Journey to the Savage Planet 💯

L522922.png

DLC

Sdc7354.png

Hot Garbage

DLC Thoughts

This was a little bit of a surprise, but a welcome one. As far as I knew there was no planned expansions for the game so it kind of came out of nowhere. I'm very happy to continue playing new content for this game. Hot Garbage keeps up with the theme of this game with its self deprecating humour and I'm all for it.

The Hot Garbage DLC takes place on a new tropical planet called DL-C1, isn't that brilliant? Anyway, plot wise this takes place after the main story, as your overbearing employer Kindred sends you to this new planet after leaving the one from the main game. Kindred needs you to travel to DL-C1 and kick out their competitor who has claimed it as their own by dumping toxic sludge on it. There's a billboard nearby where you land that advertises a soon to be retirement home called Boomerdale which boasts TVs with crime show re-runs and landline telephones in every home. As a millennial, this amused me quite a bit.  So the story goes, you have to kill all the occupying robots, uncover incriminating evidence against your competitor and survive against the many fauna and flora that want to kill you.

Gameplay wise, it is very much the same game but with a few additional upgrades which help you traverse these new lands. These include a new jetpack, underwater walking boots and a toxic gas rebreather. Honestly, only the jetpack is actually meaningful as it can be useful outside of this DLC. All the other upgrades only pertain to progressing in the DLC campaign and are useless outside of that. This is a little disappointing but for the low price point (I think it was £6.49) I'm okay with it. The jetpacks handling can be a little rough at first but I got used to it fairly quick, and I had to, cause this DLC only clocks in at about 3 hours to 100%

DL-C1 is a tropical paradise which is a nice change of scenery from the main games planet, but something about this place isn't as captivating. I never really felt the need to explore the area, and considering you get an upgrade which tells you exactly where the collectibles are, there was never a need to.

Trophy wise it was very straight forward. Complete the main missions, find all collectibles, scan all the new stuff and craft all the new upgrades. As previously stated it took us 3 hours to 100%. I played this entirely in co-op with my girlfriend and we enjoyed our time with it and while it was short, we weren't even expecting any DLC so it was pretty much all a bonus.

It's been 5 months since this released and as far I can see, the developers have been pretty quiet about any other upcoming DLC. But maybe they'll surprise us again.

All in all I'm happy to play more of this game as it is genuinely really fun, but hopefully they put a little more work into their next one, or even, a sequel!?

---

That's it for that one! Next up will be my little review of the Grounded DLC for The Last of Us (Part I), I'll try to not get carried away and write about the whole game!

Edited by jonesey46

2 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

Plan to do my next saves at chapter 8 and chapter 12. But that may change depending on how confident I'm feeling once I get there.

I'm currently rocking the Forged plasma cutter with the contact beam, detonator and line gun. Along with the Forged engineer suit. I had the supernova pack which I downloaded years ago, don't remember doing it but thanking my younger self that I did. Gives me buffs to damage and health per health pack, along with increased inventory from the get go.

Looking forward to playing some more this weekend.

I definitely suggest making a save after you align the satellites and get past that freefall section. Then possibly a save at chapter 12 - 13.

The bad thing is you have to deal with the eye poke machine every time you die after your last save, I was grateful I made my last save just after that so I didn't have to see that scene over and over.

• Like 1