The new Sonic movie is the stuff of nightmares

DEI2EK

"Rings, Chaos Emeralds, Green Hill Zone, none of that ringing a bell?"

eKAgYCd.jpg

To be completely honest I expected much worse. For once Sonic doesn't have one conjoined eye controlling two irises! Looking at his bare hands after being use to him wearing gloves for so long is visually unsettling, like Aladdin without trousers. Something I simply could not visualize beforehand.

Could I ask why having Nike as Sonic's footwear brand of of choice really necessary? :facepalm: Has he been signing contracts lately? "Can't get through the movie without a single product placement, I see!"

*Insert Shia LaBeouf meme here*

I'm ironically interested in what the other STC character line-up will look like, specifically tails. Please don't ask me why! :lol: Oh boy, do I wonder where SammyClassicSonicFan has been for all these years...

Edited by Skeptical69

I'll be honest, if they made spikes all down his back instead of just his head as if he was a Dragon Ball Z Super Saiya Jin Level 3 hair style, it would look much better, I mean how is he supposed to spin dash with only spikes on his head?!

7 hours ago, shopo said:

Guys, do you know that all this movies are for the kids right? It is time to move on lol

My apologies, but I beg to differ on that particular point, perhaps going a wee bit off topic by widening it and not sticking to Sonic only, but I hope not by too much: I don't see any reason at all (bar utter laziness or the obvious disdain moneymakers producers show for a younger audience) for showing crappy products to children. It's not even cheaper to produce, it's just that most adults don't care, hiding behind this "it's for the kids" mantra, like children don't deserve quality.

And here I'm not necessarily talking about screening only independent and/or art house films to children [even though a lot of them are much more entertaining than you'd think :)] nor educational or boring material; your summer blockbuster can, and should, be done right if you put means and will into it. The people at Ghibli know how to do it masterfully, for example. It's just a matter of respect for your audience (dare I say "customers"), young or not, for that matter. Then again, when you see that today's productions are mostly badly made franchises, "adaptations" of plot-less games or memes, remakes and reboots, you don't have to wonder very long where respect was flushed...

TL;DR: IMO, if it's shit, it's right to call it shit, whomever it's supposed to be made for.

Edited by KennethMcCormick
typo
  • Like 3

Yep... It looks terrible. Just as scary as Detective Pikachu. Is this a new trend in movies nowadays? I mean, grab old and beloved properties and made a completely new image of said property that is sure to alienate the classic fanbase? Examples abound. Can't comment on how the movie is going to be but based on looks alone, yeah, I don't like it. Tails is my favorite character in the Sonic franchise. Can't wait to see how terrible he looks. ?

3 hours ago, shopo said:

Everybody complaining about Will Smiths new Aladdin (good meme tho), the new Sonic, the new Lion King movie... Guys, do you know that all this movies are for the kids right? It is time to move on lol

Someone has to take the kids to the movie theatre and watch it with them! ;)

Lmao at the Nike shoes though. Hopefully, his shoes don't blow out 36 seconds into the movie. It'd be quite the opening cutscene! xD

At this point I feel bad for the Sonic fans that just want a movie that can look good. It feels like with most things Sonic these days there's always a catch to it. "You want a movie about him? Okay, he'll be realistic looking giving this uncanny valley look." This sums up most peoples reaction very well.

This should be exhibit #1 in the "Animation is just as valid an art as live-action, stop converting everything to live-action as if a property hasn't attained true worth before doing so" museum.

(Yes, long name for a museum).

Some people just don't understand that some stuff... just works better in animated format. And this recent trend of converting everything to live-action really irks me to my bone. The vast majority of the conversions not only do not work, they besmirch the animated originals. It's true that there are a few exceptions that actually did work (the upcoming Detective Pikachu movie looks like it will be one of those cases), but that's because of the inherent value of the original property and a competent understanding of what made it work in the first place that wasn't intrinsically linked to the art of animation.

• Like 4

Detective Pikachu actually does look like it'd work. At least that new Super Mario movie is supposed to be fully animated (as Sonic should've been). Illumination's MacGuff studio in Paris is animating this & Miyamoto is the co-producer, so it may well be OK.

That Sonic movie should really have stayed away from a real world San Francisco setting. Sonic's CGI model just strays too far from the original. There was no need to "Tedify" his design, & I'm surprised Sega didn't reject that style.