Jump to content

Disagree or agree on my stereotype?


Hunter777Merritt

Recommended Posts

So.. I was thinking earlier. Wouldn’t you say half of the trophy hunters are nerds or geeks? I know.. it’s only a stereotype that I don’t even agree on. I’m just saying. Do you agree or disagree? Tell me why.

 

Can someone move this to general, thanks.

Edited by Hunter777Merritt
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you see me on the street, no one ever thinks Im a gamer let along trophy hunter and when I tell people they are shocked (especially being female, and also a doctor, it's like people have the image that doctors do not game at all). I am geeky inside in that I like manga, anime, going to cons, harry potter and other "geeky" stuff. 

I wouldn't say all trophy hunters are geeky though but perhaps many are percieved to be by society as there seems to be a thinking that those who game intensely are geeks. But I think its all subjective and can't be limited to gaming, and some people hide it well that you never suspect them to even own a games console.

Among all my friends, many game but none trophy hunt, and most are casual gamers or just play the big titles like fifa and cod.  One of my friends didnt even know what a platinum trophy was despite having a PS4 for years

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Hunter777Merritt said:

No offense attended ladies and gentlemen.

Subwoofer.

 

Why did they not attend? Were all the offences busy? Or were they just not invited?

 

 

Anyway, to answer the original post - depends on your definition of geek/nerd?

I think everyone likes to "geek" about their favourite subject matter. Whether that's a certain sport, technology, cars, a branch of science, or whatever else takes your fancy. So, if someone has any interests at all and is therefore a geek as a result, then I'd say yes, most trophy hunters are geeks the same way most people are. Personally, I could geek about motorbikes for hours on end to anyone who would stay awake long enough to listen.

 

But if by that you mean someone who lives in their mother's basement, is incapable of talking to anyone face to face, has extreme body odour, and whatever other offensive sterotypes there are in your head, then no, I think those are in the minority. In fact, almost every trophy hunter I've talked to here has a stable job, a family, and many interests outside of gaming, and this is just a hobby for when they need time off from real life stresses to just escape and chill. Some people might have some geeky/nerdy tendencies towards certain aspects of gaming, but that doesn't make them a "stereotypical geek/nerd" with nothing else going on in their lives.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, JorgeBenton said:

i mean, trophy hunter are the most different of them all, i think stereotypes is the ones that are casual gamers ( cod, bf and fifa), in my opinion

you can see a 12 year old kid gamer from a mile away (Cod, battlefield, fifa, gta 5, Minecraft and Fortnite) if its just these games lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You're looking too much into it, people enjoy competitions and collecting. It just so happen that trophy hunting is niche.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Kristycism said:

Why did they not attend? Were all the offences busy? Or were they just not invited?

I'm dying over here. :P

 

40 minutes ago, Kristycism said:

Anyway, to answer the original post - depends on your definition of geek/nerd?

I think everyone likes to "geek" about their favourite subject matter. Whether that's a certain sport, technology, cars, a branch of science, or whatever else takes your fancy. So, if someone has any interests at all and is therefore a geek as a result, then I'd say yes, most trophy hunters are geeks the same way most people are. Personally, I could geek about motorbikes for hours on end to anyone who would stay awake long enough to listen.

 

But if by that you mean someone who lives in their mother's basement, is incapable of talking to anyone face to face, has extreme body odour, and whatever other offensive sterotypes there are in your head, then no, I think those are in the minority. In fact, almost every trophy hunter I've talked to here has a stable job, a family, and many interests outside of gaming, and this is just a hobby for when they need time off from real life stresses to just escape and chill. Some people might have some geeky/nerdy tendencies towards certain aspects of gaming, but that doesn't make them a "stereotypical geek/nerd" with nothing else going on in their lives.

I tried trophy hunting for a bit, and it wasn't for me. Not that I'm not a "geek", I just find it more enjoyable to play games for story completion rather than the 100% stuff. I do still go for the occasional Platinum/100% but mostly I don't bother.

 

Anyway, to your point about geeking about whatever your favorite subject matter is (we Americans usually say "geek out" instead of "geek" because we have to be different), it has never made sense to me that it's really only comics/gaming/sci-fi/fantasy nerds who have the "mom's basement" stereotype. Sports fans are considered socially normal even though memorizing statistics about multiple athletes (throughout a team's multiple decades of history I might add) is at least as geeky as trophy hunting, much less less intense gaming. That is really weird.

 

I don't really know any stereotypical basement dwellers. People just enjoy what they enjoy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

it's always good to show some dedication for (insert hobby) which makes you a nerd for (insert hobby)

 

nerd is nothing negative, it just shows dedication.

 

maybe the word doesn't even have a real meaning. if you are a whine connoisseur, are you a nerd for whine? yeah, maybe

 

I don't associate the "typical (rl) loser" type with nerd, but everyone who stands behind the trophy hunting is a nerd in my opinion

Edited by J3dP89
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/6/2019 at 2:45 PM, Kristycism said:

 

Why did they not attend? Were all the offences busy? Or were they just not invited?

 

 

Anyway, to answer the original post - depends on your definition of geek/nerd?

I think everyone likes to "geek" about their favourite subject matter. Whether that's a certain sport, technology, cars, a branch of science, or whatever else takes your fancy. So, if someone has any interests at all and is therefore a geek as a result, then I'd say yes, most trophy hunters are geeks the same way most people are. Personally, I could geek about motorbikes for hours on end to anyone who would stay awake long enough to listen.

 

But if by that you mean someone who lives in their mother's basement, is incapable of talking to anyone face to face, has extreme body odour, and whatever other offensive sterotypes there are in your head, then no, I think those are in the minority. In fact, almost every trophy hunter I've talked to here has a stable job, a family, and many interests outside of gaming, and this is just a hobby for when they need time off from real life stresses to just escape and chill. Some people might have some geeky/nerdy tendencies towards certain aspects of gaming, but that doesn't make them a "stereotypical geek/nerd" with nothing else going on in their lives.

Lmao, I didn’t even notice that. Intended*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/6/2019 at 0:22 PM, Hunter777Merritt said:

So.. I was thinking earlier. Wouldn’t you say half of the trophy hunters are nerds or geeks? I know.. it’s only a stereotype that I don’t even agree on. I’m just saying. Do you agree or disagree? Tell me why.

 

Can someone move this to general, thanks.

 

Stereotypes in general get a bum rap, but it's actually a normal human response to evaluating things as the brain likes to take shortcuts. Having said that, I would venture to say that almost all trophy hunters are nerds/geeks. I mean, it's a niche of a niche of a "nerd related" hobby. Try explaining to a co-worker you're planning doing a boosting session this weekend, then watch them as you explain what that means and why are doing it. ? ?

 

The good news is, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being a nerd or a geek. There used to be a negative stereotype about nerds back in the day, but since many things nerd related have becoming so mainstream (e.g. video games, comic books), it actually created an opposite stereotype with the word "casual."

Edited by rotoninja
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, rotoninja said:

 

Stereotypes in general get a bum rap, but it's actually a normal human response to evaluating things as the brain likes to take shortcuts. Having said that, I would venture to say that almost all trophy hunters are nerds/geeks. I mean, it's a niche of a niche of a "nerd related" hobby. Try explaining to a co-worker you're planning doing a boosting session this weekend, then watch them as you explain what that means and why are doing it. 1f913.png 1f601.png

 

The good news is, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being a nerd or a geek. There used to be a negative stereotype about nerds back in the day, but since many things nerd related have becoming so mainstream (e.g. video games, comic books), it actually created an opposite stereotype with the word "casual."

Indeed, I agree with everything you said.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...