Content Creators and reviewers (Youtubers)

Mr_McNight

Does anyone else hate certain gaming youtube content creators i know its a job to them and everything but for some reason it really grinds my gears when these people are given early copies of games for nothing and they are not even fans of these games for example when Final Fantasy 15 came out some big youtubers played it and made videos on it but the amount of them that said "i have never played a final fantasy game before" or "i have never really been interested in these types of games" it blows my mind.

The worst for me though are reviewers who for the most don't even pay for the game, point out negatives and nit pick at a game for the smallest thing, a good example of this is Assassins Creed Odyssey one reviewer in particular gave the negative that the game was grindy and forces you to buy microtractions which it isn't if you take the time to actually do side quests and stuff but no its a negative all because he wanted to get his review out as fast as possible and not actually enjoy and playthrough all the game has to offer

what do you lot think?

The first point I can kind of agree with, these youtubers just got the offer and did it for a quick buck, but the second point I disagree with. Lets say they got a offer to get the game to make a review about, you will need to talk about the good stuff and bad stuff, some youtubers do this right, but like IGN or any big review group is mostly, what you say, nit picking on stupid stuff. But if they are nit picking also remember, the developer allowed it. 

• Like 1

1) Square Enix wanted people who had never touched FF before to play it... It says it in the damn game "A game for old and Final Fantasy Fans" or some other thing. So giving the game to people who haven't played FF and if they enjoy it and say they haven't played it, more sales, more people play FF, more games in the future.

2) A review is only their opinion, if the game interests you, why do you care what others have to say about the game?

I disagree with both of your points.

First one would only make games more niche which is bad for companies and therefore for their consumers overall. Let anyone play FF or any other genre, even if they never had before. More people playing = more people knowing about it = more sales if it's good = more games. How do you lose with this?

Second one, really? You are only allowed to criticise a game if you paid for it, or you just get annoyed when people nitpick your favourite games because they are nitpicking your games? Get over it, most games have flaws and criticism helps them to evolve over time. Feeling hurt over that is nothing more than a waste of your time and emotional resources. You do realize that most of the reviewers play games because it's THEIR JOB and not because they are necessarily games they ENJOY? They aren't doing it for fun. It's not fun to play stuff paying attention to small details and glitches and then write an essay on that. They need to be informative on what they are doing so others will have a better idea if that is the type of experience they want to have or not. If you are the type of person that has a very biased view of games and you can easily shrug off the negatives while you enjoy the positives, more power to you, but there are other human beings that might not enjoy the same positives that you do and could absolutely HATE the negatives you ignore. Would you rather have one youtuber saying "this is bad and this is good" or 1000 consumers shit talking your game because they weren't enlightned that the game they purchased wasn't going to be the enjoyment they expected? People are doing you a favor and you don't even realise it.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

First one would only make games more niche which is bad for companies and therefore for their consumers overall. Let anyone play FF or any other genre, even if they never had before. More people playing = more people knowing about it = more sales if it's good = more games. How do you lose with this?

Second one, really? You are only allowed to criticise a game if you paid for it, or you just get annoyed when people nitpick your favourite games because they are nitpicking your games? Get over it, most games have flaws and criticism helps them to evolve over time. Feeling hurt over that is nothing more than a waste of your time and emotional resources. You do realize that most of the reviewers play games because it's THEIR JOB and not because they are necessarily games they ENJOY? They aren't doing it for fun. It's not fun to play stuff paying attention to small details and glitches and then write an essay on that. They need to be informative on what they are doing so others will have a better idea if that is the type of experience they want to have or not. If you are the type of person that has a very biased view of games and you can easily shrug off the negatives while you enjoy the positives, more power to you, but there are other human beings that might not enjoy the same positives that you do and could absolutely HATE the negatives you ignore. Would you rather have one youtuber saying "this is bad and this is good" or 1000 consumers shit talking your game because they weren't enlightned that the game they purchased wasn't going to be the enjoyment they expected? People are doing you a favor and you don't even realise it.

I agree with what Yurig said. I mean this kind of thing happen to me when I done a review of wolfenstein 2. I hated the game and I feel I gave the game a good review as if it was me I wouldn't buy that bloodly bs of a crap game this stopped me from getting or trying to care for the later games due to it and yeah. I mean for me reviews from any point of view is good. either from a new person or old. but I will bash if it shits on the ones who have been with it for along time.

1 hour ago, TheYuriG said:

You do make good points i understand i'm one that doesn't really listen to a reviewers opinion on a game if i enjoy the game then i enjoy the game and if the game is trash then fair enough its my fault for buying it which i have done a few times, but i most admit that for youtubers its good for people you are sadly unable to afford and play some games then its a chance for them to enjoy and experience it with another playing it.

i just want to make a point that i'm not trying to start arguements i just wanted to see others opinions on the subject and wasn't trying to sound like i was going off on a rant. 

For that first point, it's just advertising. It has nothing to do with anything else. Companies have given out review copies since the game review magazines of old as a form of advertising. And there's always been reviewers who play games they don't like, and it's always affected the review. It's nothing new. Companies intentionally giving games to people who wouldn't have otherwise played them makes far more sense than giving them out to people who were already interested too. The people who are already interested are going to buy the game. The people that watch them are likely of the same tastes and opinions, and are likely going to buy the game too. It's the other people that really matter to a company. Giving out a free copy to a Youtuber who has never played the series to review can potentially expand their market far more than anything else. It will expose more people to the game who wouldn't have given it a second thought. And if they see this person who wasn't interested and never played the series recommend it, then they'll be far more likely buy it. It's a smart marketing strategy.

For that second point, pointing out the negative is by FAR the most beneficial thing for a consumer to hear. If you just want to hear about how great it is, there's no real reason for reviewers at all. Just listen to the developer hype up the game. They'll tell you how great it is without mentioning anything potentially bad. You'll be able to much a much  more informed decision knowing the potentially best and worst parts of a game.

Also, things like grinding is completely subjective. It's not really fair to say it's being too harshly criticized if a reviewer says a game is too grindy. For one person, anything outside of the main story could be considered grinding. For another, only doing the exactly same thing for more than 10 hours is grinding. Everyone is going to be a little different. Using the example you shared, for that reviewer AC Odyssey felt like a grind, and they felt forced into the microtransactions. Just because it didn't to you, that doesn't make the point less valid for others. You may be okay doing the extra stuff, and there's nothing wrong with that, but that doesn't mean everyone will.

In my opinion, buying or not buying a game based on reviews can taint the experience though. It's certainly entertaining seeing other people's opinions, but a game being enjoyable or not is based entirely on personal taste. Everyone and their Mom can think a game is the greatest thing of all time, and you may think it's a hot pile of garbage. Or vice versa. I feel the best way to enjoy a game is to go in as blind as possible. I've found it's much easier to enjoy things with no expectations. At the very least, it's always better to watch/read reviews from as many different people as possible. It helps build a much clearer picture of what the game is like.