Has PS3 lost ability to play Asian games with English trophies?

MadMax707

Hi,

I tried to start Demons's Souls  (Asian version) on my UK PS3 and the trophies appeared in Korean. This also happened for my Japanese version of Shadows of the Damned's trophies appearing in Japanese as well. Both these games I tried while logged on to PSN.

I definitely know at some point last year you could play these games with English trophies if you your PS3 is a UK/US console.

Is there a fix for this?

Did the last PS3 update switch off this feature to play some Asian games with English trophies?

Yes, I think I read something about the Catherine trophies being a bit "buggy".

The thing is I did load Demons's Souls (Asian version) last year to check it and it loaded the trophies just fine in English when logged in on another account. Now if I do this the trophies load up in Korean. I have a PS4, so I can delete the trophy list (0% only) and try again though. 

3 hours ago, MadMax707 said:

Yes, I think I read something about the Catherine trophies being a bit "buggy".

The thing is I did load Demons's Souls (Asian version) last year to check it and it loaded the trophies just fine in English when logged in on another account. Now if I do this the trophies load up in Korean. I have a PS4, so I can delete the trophy list (0% only) and try again though. 

I played the Japanese version of Demon's Souls a while back, and my trophies on that machine are in Japanese. I don't know what causes it, and I've never checked it on my PS4 or anything. Good luck.

• 6 months later...

I think I figure this out, a fix or work around for displaying Asian games with English games (only games that also have an English of trophies). Though note, this is not the way trophy lists used to work.

You need to set your PS3 or PS4 language to English (US) and then when loading the game for the first time, make sure your are online and signed in. The trophy list should appear in English.

I not sure why this doesn't work for English (UK) but for any one from Europe and Oceania I think, who want trophies in English rather than Japanese/Chinese/Korean for Asian PlayStation games chose the system language to English (US).

If the trophy list is already showing in an Asian language on your PS3, you can delete 0% trophy list using a PS4 when synced. Delete the profile from PS3 and then sign in and load the profile again on the PS3, sync updated trophy list. Next make sure system language is English (US) and load game while signed in and hopefully your trophy list for that game will be in English. If you change system language back to English (UK) for some reason the trophy will change back to Japanese/Chinese/Korean though. Weird. This is not how it used to work but this is close.

I can confirm that this works on these games:

Demon's Souls (Asian version)*

Shadows of the Damned (Japanese version)

Max Anarchy (Japanese version)

*Japanese version will only display Japanese trophies

I hope this helps anyone especially from Europe and Oceania (Australia and New Zealand).

Edited by MadMax707

1 hour ago, totallycrushed said:

It depends on your version. Korean DeS is fully in English while Japanese isn't. Look at the item code on the disc or on the spine of the case. If it's BCJS it's JP, BCAS is Asia with English support.

Demons_Souls_PS3_Ultra_Pop_267555.6.jpg?Yes correct, I have this version and the spine shows BCAS.

But the problem for me is the trophies don't show in English (they show Chinese/Korean I think) unless I change the system language from English (UK) to English (US). Once change to English (US) though, the trophies will display in English. This wasn't all the case until recently.

On 25/09/2019 at 1:37 PM, MadMax707 said:

Demons_Souls_PS3_Ultra_Pop_267555.6.jpg?Yes correct, I have this version and the spine shows BCAS.

But the problem for me is the trophies don't show in English (they show Chinese/Korean I think) unless I change the system language from English (UK) to English (US). Once change to English (US) though, the trophies will display in English. This wasn't all the case until recently.

The reason for that is the trophy lists always check for the language setting for the current logged in user. If it has two or more language available for its trophy lists, like Demon's Souls, it will set it accordingly to your current language.

In your case, what you thought might be a bug was probably you saw the those trophy lists first while logged in with an user with English (US) and later on you changed to English (UK) and that triggered the change back to Korean trophy list.

Edited by Otonio_Bruno

On 10/1/2019 at 6:04 PM, Otonio_Bruno said:

The reason for that is the trophy lists always check for the language setting for the current logged in user. If it has two or more language available for its trophy lists, like Demon's Souls, it will set it accordingly to your current language.

In your case, what you thought might be a bug was probably you saw the those trophy lists first while logged in with an user with English (US) and later on you changed to English (UK) and that triggered the change back to Korean trophy list.

Thanks for your reply. I understand this now but there was a time, about 1 year ago, when the system language was English (UK) the trophies would also show in English and not Chinese not Korean. I test this then and it worked 100%. I test now and the trophies show in Chinese and only show in English when system is set to English (US). I hope this makes sense.