Recommend me a PS4 game with excellent narrative

dizayeure

I'm looking for a game with a superbe narrative/story. I've already played TLoU, every Uncharted games, Yakuza 0 and Kiwami, Witcher 3, Persona 5, Bioshock collection, Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, Celeste, ... which story I really loved!

These are all the games I've finished myself that I found had excellent narrative. Nier automata, Detroit become human, Hellblade, God of war, What remains of Edith finch, Yakuza 6, Witcher thronebreaker, Vampyr, Red dead 2, The banner saga trilogy and undertale.

Edited by NaseemJohn
  • Like 3

Life is Strange and Life is Strange Before the Storm: Great for story, it's a drama adventure game so not much in the way of action or gameplay, but very emotive and interesting story-wise.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5, 2.8 and 3: A mix of FF RPG and Disney, the story is quite complicated but still deep and interesting. Action gameplay as well, so all the games are fun to play.

Nier Automata: Many people like the story in this. It wasn't my thing, but if you like robots and androids its a good game with a great combat system.

Tales of Vesperia and Berseria: Both action RPGs with a decent story, the main characters in both are rebels as opposed to the usual good hero type, so it's darker as well.

Other games I personally haven't played but are popular for story are Dragon Quest 11, Horizon Dawn Zero, Assassin's Creed, Ys 8, Odin Sphere, Okami HD and Atelier games. 

• Like 3

I'm going to skip the big titles and name some lesser known ones that I thought were really good:

• Blackwood Crossing
  • I Am Setsuna
  • King's Quest
  • Last Day of June
  • Pyre
  • Rime
  • The Banner Saga
  • The Sexy Brutale
  • Thomas Was Alone
  • Valiant Hearts: The Great War
  • Yomawari: Midnight Shadows
  • Like 4

From what hasn't been mentioned by others, some stories/narrative I personally really enjoyed:

Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection

Wolfenstein The New Order

Metro Redux

The Last Guardian

The Evil Within

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (controversial)

Heavy Rain

Each of the above I found to be very unique and creative and I really enjoyed them. I also highly recommend Life is Strange and Before The Storm as someone else has mentioned.

Edited by olliebear66t
  • Like 1

These are just my opinions:

Ni no Kuni - Wrath of the White Witch: a simple story, but very touching. One of the best I've seen in a JRPG. I expected something similar with Ni no Kuni II, but unfortunately... No. ?

Ys Origin: the third run with Toal has the best story of the game! ?

Child of Light is short, simple story but graphics is oustanding! I really love this style. ?

Unravel is really good, where Yarny searches the memories of an old woman. There is also an album which you can read, from the birth until the death of a beloved person... I put this game on the same level of Celeste, so if you like Madeline, you'll love Yarny!

Maybe also Shadow of the Colossus and ICO.

If you like the horror games, then Little Nightmares (and the three DLCs), Outlast (the first one with the DLC. The science-fiction in this game is really great and interesting. The second is good, but not as the first one) and The Evil Within 2 (plot more linear and focused on Sebastian's past and the search for his daughter).

Someone mentioned NieR:Automata. If you like it, then pick also the first NieR on PS3. The graphics is not great, but soundtrack and story are really amazing! Especially Emil... :awesome:

1 hour ago, dizayeure said:

I'm looking for a game with a superbe narrative/story. I've already played TLoU, every Uncharted games, Yakuza 0 and Kiwami, Witcher 3, Persona 5, Bioshock collection, Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, Celeste, ... which story I really loved!

Dragon quest 11 characters are so loveable and the story never slows down after it gets going,  highly recommend it.

SOMA - no for real you want a humanizing game story there you go  saw you played it, 
Honestly as not action packed as it is there is Tell tale games

but then you have metro which has a good story

oh oh oh oh VALIANT HEARTS! for real such a beautiful game watch the trailer for it

Edited by mackenzie129

Sleeping dogs (if you like Yakuza you'll probably really enjoy this), undertale, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, a way out, What Remains of Edith Finch, Night in the Woods, zero escape the nonary games, Danganronpa 1-3, Valkyria chronicles, final fantasy (VII, IX, X, XII, Type-0), god of war (2018), most of all I would have to say Nier: Automata.

Edited by sephiroth70001

Here's a list. If you're interested in them, look them up more. Just... Don't. Spoil. Anything.

Nier Automata - story that revolves around androids, robots, life, and death.

Final Fantasy IX - classic story with the best cast of characters in the whole series IMO.

Final Fantasy VII - another great story about trying to prevent the end of the world as Earth slowly dies around them.

Final Fantasy X - a story about love and sacrifice. A game that will make you laugh, cry, and facepalm (at Tidus's laugh)

Heavy Rain - a story about 4 characters that revolves around the "Origami killer." A serial killer who drowns children in water.

Valkyria Chronicles - it's a story about war in a WW2-like setting. Includes themes of love, life, death, and racism. Dialogue does get cheesey at times, but it's like watching a hand-drawn cartoon.

The Last Guardian - It's about a boy and his giant feathered dog... Bird thing. It truly is a heartwarming story I promise!

I could name others like Journey, Resident Evil 7, Okami HD, but I think what I have listed above are the best I've played. I haven't played GoW, but I heard if you like TLOU, you'll love it. I've also heard pretty good things about Horizon zero Dawn, but that one is sitting in the backlog as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dizayeure said:

Titanfall 2 actually has a really good story along with excellent gameplay.

• Like 1