WDYT of Daylight Saving Time?

RadiantFlamberge

WDYT of Daylight Saving Time?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• Yes. Now just lock it in, so we don't spring forward/fall back every year.
    • Yes... but only during that certain part of the year.
    • Couldn't care less either way. It's just fine.
    • Not very much.
    • No, let's lock it out completely.

I don't really pay any attention to it as its only an hour. I hate it in winter though, as then the evenings get so short and its dark by 4pm. Its dark going and coming from work so I feel like a Vampire in Winter. At least the long summer days are good

• Like 2

Early this winter I had watched it get darker at 4 PM, & it would look like midnight at 5 PM. I'm not a fan of that either... that extra hour of afternoon daylight would be nice if we didn't "fall back", holding off total dark until 6 PM. I'm with you on the long summer days- having it be light out until 9 PM in summer is great.

I like the little changes like this.  Kinda spices things up a different points throughout the year.  A little darker on my drive into work, a little lighter on my drive home, and visa versa in the fall.  Would be a little boring at this point, if it were locked in and nothing ever really changed.

Having daylight later when its nice out in the summer is always nice, and having the dark sooner when the weather is crappy in the winter has never really been a problem for me.  The hour change back or forward never really bothers me (then again I'm a shitty sleeper regardless so why would it).

Edited by Dreakon13

Eh, doesn't really matter to me. I work night shift so on the day we "fall back" my department gives us one hour of overtime, when we "spring forward" we get paid for 8 without having to use an hour of vacation or sick time. 

I think it is an outdated concept that really doesn't apply in 2019, but again, I really couldn't care less about it either way. 

Parker

It's a completely pointless and outdated system. It's just an annoyance at this point. So much so that some places are starting to get rid of it. Hawaii and Arizona have already gotten rid of Daylight Saving Time and many other states have begun considering it as well. I imagine it'll be gone from almost everywhere in the US by 2030.

I'd rather more dark, but overall I wish they would keep it at one or the other and get rid of it never did like and always did hate it during school as well.
That I'm not convinced that changing the clock makes it light out longer anyway since the Earth doesn't really follow our sense of time and we are the only ones that use clocks and such to keep track of it.

1 hour ago, ExHaseo said:

It's a completely pointless and outdated system. It's just an annoyance at this point. So much so that some places are starting to get rid of it. Hawaii and Arizona have already gotten rid of Daylight Saving Time and many other states have begun considering it as well. I imagine it'll be gone from almost everywhere in the US by 2030.

Florida has already passed a bill and their governor has signed it, but it can't go into effect unless there's legislation on the national level.  The same with the other states that instituted Daylight Savings back in 1966 -- federal legislation supersedes state legislation on the topic except for those places that were "grandfathered" in or opted out when things originally started, much like things used to be with limited jurisdictions having sports wagering.

I'd prefer to keep Daylight Savings all year round -- and voted for that up above -- but I'd also be okay with "no Daylight Savings ever".  Just pick one or the other and stop with this bipolar, back-and-forth crap.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

It's not an outdated thing.

Without fall back, kids would be going to school in the dark. No one wants that.

Won't somebody think of the children? Lol.

OK, I have to admit not falling back means that hour of darkness will end up in the morning, especially for kids who have to catch a bus at 7 AM or even earlier then start classes at say 7:45. Maybe the kids should get a later school start time, which could take care of that. I feel 9 AM would be about right, maybe even 8:30.

39 minutes ago, gameoverDude189 said:

OK, I have to admit not falling back means that hour of darkness will end up in the morning, especially for kids who have to catch a bus at 7 AM or even earlier then start classes at say 7:45. Maybe the kids should get a later school start time, which could take care of that. I feel 9 AM would be about right, maybe even 8:30.

Well then where does that stop? We'd have to change the work day to 10 so parents could get their kids off to school. Government would have to be pushed. Stock Market would have to be pushed.... Sounds like a lot of work to avoid seeing your clocks change twice a year lol.

1 hour ago, acasser said:

Florida has already passed a bill and their governor has signed it, but it can't go into effect unless there's legislation on the national level.  The same with the other states that instituted Daylight Savings back in 1966 -- federal legislation supersedes state legislation on the topic except for those places that were "grandfathered" in or opted out when things originally started, much like things used to be with limited jurisdictions having sports wagering.

I'd prefer to keep Daylight Savings all year round -- and voted for that up above -- but I'd also be okay with "no Daylight Savings ever".  Just pick one or the other and stop with this bipolar, back-and-forth crap.

It depends on how it's done. It only needs to be done to keep daylights saving time active all the time. Any state can opt out of Daylight Savings Time, as long as they do it so that they never set their clocks forward. States like Florida want to be able to do the opposite and set the clocks forward, and never go back. It's weird and confusing, but that's laws for you.

It's bullshit.

They keep changing it from March to April and then back from April to March.

If you're going to keep Daylight Savings Time, then either lock it in or just remove it completely.

I hate wasting a hour and then realizing that they decided to push the date a month earlier.

9 minutes ago, Spaz said:

No...no they don't.  Just look back over the past 10 years and it's consistently around this time in March.

Maybe you're thinking of Easter as that can be either in March or April

1 minute ago, Mesopithecus said:

No...no they don't.  Just look back over the past 10 years and it's consistently around this time in March.

Maybe you're thinking of Easter as that can be either in March or April

March is too early.

April 20th would be ideal. Likewise October 20th would be ideal, because that gives us six months in-between.

14 minutes ago, Spaz said:

It's bullshit.

If you're going to keep Daylight Savings Time, then either lock it in or just remove it completely.

I hate wasting a hour and then realizing that they decided to push the date a month earlier.

It really should be kept one way or the other, though I'd prefer that it stay in effect all year long. Going back & forth each year is somewhat jarring, more so when you enter DST. If they couldn't lock DST in year round, then they should make it approximately the same date each year. The 2nd Sunday of April would be a good choice.

Edited by gameoverDude189

I like it especially when I've got stuff to do in the morning because it means there's longer in the evening so I can still enjoy being outside then.

25 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

We don't have it in the stupid state I live in, it screws up our business every year. I'm all for having DST but apparently half of my state thinks it's a 25 hour day or the cows don't know when to eat.

Lol stupid bloody Queensland.

Edited by Feral
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Feral said:

I like it especially when I've got stuff to do in the morning because it means there's longer in the evening so I can still enjoy being outside then.

Lol stupid bloody Queensland.

We Bypass logic every day, it's frustrating.

People thought the "Citycat" was going to wash their homes away if it went too fast. This is without doing any research on how a multi hull boat works, I am surrounded by retards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

We Bypass logic every day, it's frustrating.

People thought the "Citycat" was going to wash their homes away if it went too fast. This is without doing any research on how a multi hull boat works, I am surrounded by retards.

Ha ha ha ha fuckin hell, just when I thought they couldn't get dumber.

I voted for the ''definite no'' option. Changing clocks is a silly idea that messes up everyone's body clocks. Losing an hour of sleep in March (and on this particular year, on my birthday) is never fun nor healthy. If it was up to me, I would just cancel the upcoming clock change and leave it like that all year round. It will get dark one hour earlier, but even in summer that's still a lot of time... and in winter it will be one hour later. Getting up earlier is also an option for making use of the daylight. The other option would be to go ahead and move the clocks fowards for the last time, and not move them backwards in October. Personally, I think the other option is better - sunrise would be an hour later, and it could turn out a bit dangerous if it's still dark while there's 8am rush hour traffic and kids walking to school.