FrancescoS4658

Misison 8 - Problem with S rank mission

16 posts in this topic

Hi guys, what is the max score to take S in mission 8?

I did 4797 style point, I don't understand where I'm wrong, it seems to me anyway a high score, I didn't have any problem with other missions, only this one is creating problems :/
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that score still doesn't get you an S then you probably need over 5,000. I noticed that getting over 5,000 seems to pretty much guarantee an S Rank.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Human minimum seems to be for anything 4,000 and up. DH may be 5,000 and up but I've yet to confirm.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Human is 4000, DH 5000, SOS seems to be 5500 and DMD is 6000

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FrancescoS4658 said:

Hi guys, what is the max score to take S in mission 8?

I did 4797 style point, I don't understand where I'm wrong, it seems to me anyway a high score, I didn't have any problem with other missions, only this one is creating problems :/

This mission is a bitch to S rank, mission 10 is even worse in my opinion. First thing to note is that not every single fight counts for your mission score, in mission 8 there are only 2 fights that matter for an S rank. If I had to make an educated guess, the only fights that matter for the mission ranking are those that give you a checkpoint AFTER you beat them, in case of mission 10 that would be the 3rd fight in the mission that counts as the 1st mission ranking fight. I'm not sure how rank is calculated in this game since it gives no indication whatsoever (for example if time is relevant for a fight score), but what I know for sure is that getting your style meter high is more important than doing a lot of damage at the beginning. For Nero, one way to get a lot of style is to just explode a devil breaker in a group of enemies and use his Devil Trigger a lot with aerial attacks. I also found that using his charge shot at least on devil hunter difficulty is counterproductive to earning a good style ranking, because the amount of damage it does is not proportional to the style increase you get. I myself was struggling for 1-2h yesterday with mission 8 on Devil Hunter.

 

Another way to get an S rank almost guaranteed is to not take any damage during a mission, which really doesn't help with mission 8 since the boss there is not meant to be defeated.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Mission 10 son of sparda i got 5175 needed 5500 ive spent 2_3 hours no luck. 

 

Ive got 4122 plus on most fights but i never keep combo because when im not dt i always get a cheap hit or shit on me plus the furys are obnoxious, you have to counter and when you do they keep teleporting. 

 

Also teleporting enimies are combo ruiners... You got a ss or a sss? Back to b after 1 cheap hit...

 

Btw from experience guys maintaining a high combo as long as possible increases style, so using dantes ebony and ivory has helped some areas

Edited by Sarsky
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I am also having massive trouble with this mission. I managed to S-rank it on H but not on DH. I reached Urizen without taking a hit and always getting SS or SSS during the mandatory fights. Then took a single hit during his first phase. Then I fought it for a while before dying during the second phase. Got 4978. It feels broken.

 

Also, some optional fights always lower your score, no matter how good you do (like the few enemies before Urizen).

Any suggestion?

 

EDIT: also Urizen fight is completely irrelevant useless he is completely defeated (I checked the final score and the last score appearing on screen and they were always the same). It is also impossible to get the x2 multiplier for no-hit unless he is defeated (and he is ridiculously strong in mission 8).

Edited by nudoetcrudo
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Urizen fight is completely useless, unless you beat him and unlock the secret ending, in which case you will get around 20k style points and a guaranteed S rank. I honestly have no idea how the mission score at the end is calculated, my best guess for mission 8 is that in DH you need an average of 4167 in the 2 fights that are relevant for the mission score according to the results screen, but then I can't understand how the Urizen fight can give such a huge boost to mission score even though it's not reflected in the screen at the end. There are many oddities regarding S ranking mission, but I found missions 8 and 10 to be the worst offenders.

 

Another example to prove my point, here are my results for mission 18 (DH): https://imgur.com/a/IbwMSLV

I don't understand how I got an S rank there, the only thing I know for sure is that in DH the score requirement is 5000.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

36 minutes ago, vgor1988 said:

The Urizen fight is completely useless, unless you beat him and unlock the secret ending, in which case you will get around 20k style points and a guaranteed S rank. I honestly have no idea how the mission score at the end is calculated, my best guess for mission 8 is that in DH you need an average of 4167 in the 2 fights that are relevant for the mission score according to the results screen, but then I can't understand how the Urizen fight can give such a huge boost to mission score even though it's not reflected in the screen at the end. There are many oddities regarding S ranking mission, but I found missions 8 and 10 to be the worst offenders.

 

Another example to prove my point, here are my results for mission 18 (DH): https://imgur.com/a/IbwMSLV

I don't understand how I got an S rank there, the only thing I know for sure is that in DH the score requirement is 5000.

 

Yeah I defeated Urizen in the prologue, but it sucks that you get the style points only if you defeat him, this makes even the first half of his fight in mission 8 useless, even though is mandatory...

 

Regarding the score. What appears on screen during the mission is not the score of the last fight, but your current score. Basically you get a running average of the fights on screen, and the last score appearing will be your mission score. At least this is what I noticed for missions 14-15-16-18 at SoS (I didn't pay attention before).

Also, sometimes when you skip fights you'll get the same score of your previous fight. For example in mission 8 there are the two skippable fights where collapsing floors are: say in the last fight you got 3897, then approach the collapsing floor and skip it: 3897 will appear again on screen, meaning that your total score did not change.

The thing is that some fights may actually lower your score, because it is basically impossible to get good style since they are too short, so we have to avoid them.

Regarding the "detail" section that you can check after the mission: I think those are checkpoints. I mission 16 there are 4 mandatory fights but in "details" you'll see only 2 scores. These are the mission score you had at the two level checkpoints and I noticed because they were the scores I had after the 2nd and 4th fight (also look at their thumbnails: the second is just before Cerberus, which is a checkpoint).

Example: first fight 4891, second 5327, third 4911, fourth 5238, then in "details" I see 5237 and 5238. Then after you defeat Cerberus you'll see another score (say 4470), which is the final one which will be multiplied according to bonus/penalty (4470 x 1.2 = 5364 = final score).

 

Anyway yeah, mission 8 and 10 are a pain in the ass.

Edited by nudoetcrudo
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, nudoetcrudo said:

Regarding the score. What appears on screen during the mission is not the score of the last fight, but your current score. Basically you get a running average of the fights on screen, and the last score appearing will be your mission score. At least this is what I noticed for missions 14-15-16-18 at SoS (I didn't pay attention before).

Also, sometimes when you skip fights you'll get the same score of your previous fight. For example in mission 8 there are the two skippable fights where are collapsing floors: say in the last fight you had you got 3897, then approach the collapsing floor and skip it: 3897 will appear again on screen, meaning that your total score did not change.

The thing is that some fights may actually lower your score, because it is basically impossible to get good style since they are too short, so we have to avoid them.

Regarding the "detail" section that you can check after the mission: I think those are checkpoints. I mission 16 there are 4 mandatory fights but in "details" you'll see only 2 scores. These are the mission score you had at the two level checkpoints and I noticed because they were the scores I had after the 2nd and 4th fight (also look at their thumbnails: the second is just before Cerberus, which is a checkpoint).

Example: first fight 4891, second 5327, third 4911, fourth 5238, then in "details" I see 5237 and 5238. Then after you defeat Cerberus you'll see another score (say 4470), which is the final one which will be multiplied according to bonus/penalty (4470 x 1.2 = 5364 = final score).

 

Anyway yeah, mission 8 and 10 are a pain in the ass.

Your explanation certainly makes sense and it's plausible enough, however it still does not explain how the score can go up to 20k by defeating Urizen. Maybe defeating a boss gives bonus score and since it's hard to defeat the boss in mission 8 and impossible in mission 10 those missions are hard to S rank?

 

Assuming your explanation is correct, a way to cheese your score in mission 8 is by enemy stepping and wire snatching in the air to get your rank to A in almost every fight before doing damage. Just holding R1 and quickly alternating between circle and X is enough to get to A rank. This can be practiced in the Void and even though it looks stupid it might help with the filler fights that possible lower the score.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, vgor1988 said:

Your explanation certainly makes sense and it's plausible enough, however it still does not explain how the score can go up to 20k by defeating Urizen. Maybe defeating a boss gives bonus score and since it's hard to defeat the boss in mission 8 and impossible in mission 10 those missions are hard to S rank?

 

My guess is that Urizen takes a lot of time and you land a lot of hits, so you get more points. However there are two possibilities:

1) Bosses give you more point per hit landed.

2) Bosses give a fixed bonus.

For instance: SoS, I reached Cerberus with 5238 points, died once, revived with red orbs and killed it. I got 5634, so my score actually went up even though I didn't do very well. Not sure if because each hit I landed granted me more points, or because the boss gave me a fixed +X.

 

If it's the first case, then one could also ask: do points depend on the move? Stinger increases the style meter (which is just a multiplier for your points) faster than shooting with guns, but does it also give you more points?

 

 

22 minutes ago, vgor1988 said:

Assuming your explanation is correct, a way to cheese your score in mission 8 is by enemy stepping and wire snatching in the air to get your rank to A in almost every fight before doing damage. Just holding R1 and quickly alternating between circle and X is enough to get to A rank. This can be practiced in the Void and even though it looks stupid it might help with the filler fights that possible lower the score.

 

Thanks, I'll try it. Another strategy I found (but I was too tired to try it a second time) is to trigger DT immediately, grab enemies to have them closer (nero in DT multi-grabs with his "shadow"), land few normal hits (again, multi-hits, which increase the style faster), then toggle DT off and keep fighting normally (enemies should be close together and you style should be at least A).

Edited by nudoetcrudo
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, nudoetcrudo said:

 

My guess is that Urizen takes a lot of time and you land a lot of hits, so you get more points. However there are two possibilities:

1) Bosses give you more point per hit landed.

2) Bosses give a fixed bonus.

For instance: SoS, I reached Cerberus with 5238 points, died once, revived with red orbs and killed it. I got 5634, so my score actually went up even though I didn't do very well. Not sure if because each hit I landed granted me more points, or because the boss gave me a fixed +X.

I highly doubt that 1) is correct, simply because of the Urizen example. Let's say you drain his HP pool by half in mission 8 and then die, according to 1) you'd still get a lot of extra points. However if you fail midway through, which is very likely to happen in mission 8 on SoS and up, you won't get these bonus points at all. This example certainly doesn't disqualify 1) completely because upon dying you could simply lose the points you landed per hit on that specific fight. But I still think that a fixed bonus per boss is more likely because if you defeat Urizen in the prologue and in mission 8 your mission score will be around 20k, even though Urizen in mission 8 has a lot more HP and if 1) was the way it was calculated the score in mission 8 therefore would be higher.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vgor1988 said:

But I still think that a fixed bonus per boss is more likely because if you defeat Urizen in the prologue and in mission 8 your mission score will be around 20k, even though Urizen in mission 8 has a lot more HP and if 1) was the way it was calculated the score in mission 8 therefore would be higher.

 

Makes sense.

 

Then another question is: are points given per enemy according to the style at the moment of it defeat?

Two cases:

1) I kill an enemy without taking a hit with S-style. 

2) Same, but the moment before landing the final hit I take a hit and get D-style. 

Will there be a huge difference in points?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nudoetcrudo said:

 

Makes sense.

 

Then another question is: are points given per enemy according to the style at the moment of it defeat?

Two cases:

1) I kill an enemy without taking a hit with S-style. 

2) Same, but the moment before landing the final hit I take a hit and get D-style. 

Will there be a huge difference in points?

In games prior to this the style meter (D x2, C x3 etc.) acted as a multiplier for the static style points that an attack did, where a stinger had a higher static score than a normal pistol shot. These points were simply added together to determine your style rank at the end of the mission. You were once again scored on the accumulated style points from D to S (or SSS in case of DmC) which again were multiplied according to rank. In the end you'd have numbers in the range from 100k and more to 1 mil etc, but time and orbs were also a factor. Since the assumption is that an average style score is used and it's completely unknown if time is of any factor in the calculation of a style points (except of course it matters if you can keep up your S rank or higher during the fight), the difference in style points in your example shouldn't be too drastic but it's just a guess because who really knows how the scoring system works. Also you can't drop from S to D, you only drop 2 ranks in style by taking a normal hit except for SS and SSS which also drop to B. I really wish this game had a way of telling you your score during the mission like DMC4 and even the shitty DmC did.

 

I might also be completely wrong and the game uses a scoring system of how long the fight took and what your average style rank was for (he majority of the fight to calculate your style at the end. It impossible to tell what is really going on, making calculations for how scoring works guesswork. The fact of the matter is that missions 8 and 10 are the ones that should cause the most problems.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, vgor1988 said:

In games prior to this the style meter (D x2, C x3 etc.) acted as a multiplier for the static style points that an attack did, where a stinger had a higher static score than a normal pistol shot. These points were simply added together to determine your style rank at the end of the mission. You were once again scored on the accumulated style points from D to S (or SSS in case of DmC) which again were multiplied according to rank. In the end you'd have numbers in the range from 100k and more to 1 mil etc, but time and orbs were also a factor. Since the assumption is that an average style score is used and it's completely unknown if time is of any factor in the calculation of a style points (except of course it matters if you can keep up your S rank or higher during the fight), the difference in style points in your example shouldn't be too drastic but it's just a guess because who really knows how the scoring system works. Also you can't drop from S to D, you only drop 2 ranks in style by taking a normal hit except for SS and SSS which also drop to B. I really wish this game had a way of telling you your score during the mission like DMC4 and even the shitty DmC did.

 

I might also be completely wrong and the game uses a scoring system of how long the fight took and what your average style rank was for (he majority of the fight to calculate your style at the end. It impossible to tell what is really going on, making calculations for how scoring works guesswork. The fact of the matter is that missions 8 and 10 are the ones that should cause the most problems.

 

Yep, I played all past game and now the scoring system seems different, that's why I am asking.

I guess we have to figure it out by trial and error, but in the end to get S-rank we just have to practice and get good :D

 

 

1 hour ago, vgor1988 said:

I really wish this game had a way of telling you your score during the mission like DMC4 and even the shitty DmC did.

 

Agree. I am also a bit disappointed that the time to complete the mission doesn't matter anymore (it just gives +1000 red orbs).

 

 

EDIT (I reached the daily posts limit lol)

I managed to S-rank it, it is really easy if you follow what Copanele wrote in the "Devil Hunters" thread.

Basically you get points for keeping a certain rank, not for hitting enemies (probably you still get points for killing them, like for bosses).

This means that you should get S-rank or higher and then playing around, for instance by jumping high, grabbing an enemy and jumping over it (this is enough for keeping the S-rank, maybe you'll have to land a hit sometime). 

I did it for mission 8 and got 5553 at DH, first attempt.

Just for a comparison: when I was rushing the first mandatory fight and finishing it with SSS I was getting 4200, now with this cheesy strategy (staying "idle" with S for roughly 1 minute and then killing enemies with SS) I got 4700.

 

This scoring system sucks.
 

Edited by nudoetcrudo
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we should tweet to the community manager how did he get s ranks in mission 8-10. Maybe he knows how it works:)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.