How good is this game?

AJ_Radio

Story-wise it's good. At first I was reluctant to let myself get into it, but once you realize the natural progression this game must take it gets easier to see it was a solid entry in the series. This game will also make you realize the potential the Metro-verse has. (I've spoken about this in other threads) It was better than Last Light imo, but 2033 still reigns supreme for me.

Gameplay can be hit or miss it seems. Some people have had trouble walking over a twig, but I never experienced that type of issue. Traversing never gave me much trouble unless I accidentally thought running down a hill was possible. (hint, it's not. Artyom will basically run a straight line and fall to his death if the fall is over 5 feet. <_<) I had some technical hiccups but nothing that made me start over. It's a well known issue that a death loop is possible so use the quick save feature often when not on Ranger Hardcore where it's locked. 

Gun play is smooth until it's not, however, it was designed that way due to degradation of weapons. There's tons of info in this games forums you can look at where a few of us talk about the gameplay. Most of us agree that it was stupid to not be able to clean your weapon on the go, but once you learn where all the workbenches are it becomes less irritating until Ranger Hardcore.

^on this note, there's a good amount of options for the guns despite having less weapons than the previous games. They did that on purpose due to the ability to make certain weapons into certain things.

Graphics. I thought they were great. For a game that probably didn't have the budget of Uncharted 4 or other similar games it did incredibly well. The people still have some off putting looks to them, but that's just Metro's style. I think it will really hit you in certain areas and especially if you are a gamer that takes the damn time to look around and appreciate a game's world. (Not speaking to you directly but I've seen some comments...and boy these people don't stop around to look at shit.)

Soundtrack. This game just barely edges out Last Light for me. Mainly, it is one of the songs from the ending that really does it. 

Feel. This game loses some of its Metro feeling in the open world areas. However, each of these areas still have little sections that will bring back those feelings. Every other stage of the game has that classic Metro feel. I will say that even in the open world areas...you still feel like something can pop out of nowhere as if you were still in the tunnels.

Trophies are relatively simple. Some annoying ones and only 1 true missable that will require a nearly full playthrough should you miss it. My recommendation is to take 3 playthroughs. 1 to enjoy this game blind on Normal. (just so Reader doesn't dull your skills. :P) Don't worry about anything other than taking the game in and if you want to make it 2 playthroughs, know how to get the good ending on your first one as well as getting the 1 missable. The bad ending is easier with Ranger Hardcore, imo, and if you didn't get the missable during the good ending you'll need a 3rd playthrough from the 2nd area of the game, but it's not a huge deal on Reader difficulty. 

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle
  • Like 2

Highly HIGHLY recommend for any Metro fan especially. This game is a breath of fresh air (literally and figuratively) from previous installments. Even though the environments change drastically compared to the tunnels you may be accustomed to (in a good way of course), the gameplay still carries the Metro DNA. The story is biggest strong-suit. I personally think it's the best of the trio, as I got pretty invested with some of the characters. Particularly Miller. But I must say the game's interface isn't the friendliest and it could be optimized better, nothing is unbearable. 

• Like 1

Spoiler alert: it's really good. Get it.

But if you haven't played any Metro games yet: get the Redux collection first, which includes the first two games remastered, and play those before hitting Exodus. Both great games, they'll introduce you to the characters, the world of the Metro games and the gameplay aspects of the franchise. On top of that: you can often find these at a steal (5 dollars/euros, no joke), which should almost be considered a crime.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2019 at 9:35 PM, Spaz said:

Really enjoyed the first two Metro games. 

But I’d like to hear from you guys what you think of Metro: Exodus.

The last level in this game has the best atmospheric horror you'll ever seen done in a video game. Truly bone chilling. Best final level in a game ive played maybe ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolute WORST game of the trilogy in my opinion. This story has almost nothing to do with the previous 2 games. The script and voice acting is abysmal and having to listen to it throughout three play throughs is awful. Worst of all are the glitches. I had the game crash on me when I started NG+ and it wiped my save so I had to do an entire extra play through just to get back to NG+ so I could do the dlc. Then at the very end of the game, on Iron Mode, my gas mask filter ran out and the game glitched again so I couldn’t change it; I died (through no fault of my own) and had to replay the whole last chapter again. Finger crossed for no more dlc or sequels. 

• 2 months later...

Awful game. Admittedly I've not finished it - mainly due to bugs not allowing chapter progression... I've already had to start a new game after my game froze in the Volga mission, and now I can't progress in the same mission because A ) the boat I need isn't there and B ) a boat that I can get is constantly under attack from shrimps. And I mean constantly.

Loved redux, played it on ps3 and ps4, have both plats... I intend playing it again on ps3 for the fun of it.

But exodus sucks.

Graphic wise its very good, but not being able to skip cut scenes has already become a drag....

And I'm really not looking forward to playing it three times just to get bugged out again.

I'd like to say that its not the worst game I've ever played, but honestly, due to the games inability to skip cut scenes and its awful bugs, I can't honestly rate it as being better.....

Edited by yoda_squad

17 minutes ago, yoda_squad said:

Awful game. Admittedly I've not finished it - mainly due to bugs not allowing chapter progression... I've already had to start a new game after my game froze in the Volga mission, and now I can't progress in the same mission because A ) the boat I need isn't there and B ) a boat that I can get is constantly under attack from shrimps. And I mean constantly.

Loved redux, played it on ps3 and ps4, have both plats... I intend playing it again on ps3 for the fun of it.

But exodus sucks.

Graphic wise its very good, but not being able to skip cut scenes has already become a drag....

And I'm really not looking forward to playing it three times just to get bugged out again.

I'd like to say that its not the worst game I've ever played, but honestly, due to the games inability to skip cut scenes and its awful bugs, I can't honestly rate it as being better.....

have fun playing last light on ps3, the framerate is pretty bad.

On 7/14/2019 at 11:49 PM, UlvenFenrir said:

have fun playing last light on ps3, the framerate is pretty bad.

i really enjoyed the challenge of it, tbf. Preferred the ps3 version over the ps4 remaster for that reason.

the only bit i struggled with was the trophy for killing everyone on the train which took me a little while and a few tries to do.

i have a new account, have been playing some old games (mw 2 & 3, cod classic, sniper v2 etc) to have a 100% account, so Metro is on my list - i still think it's a class game - along with the first uncharted etc,  & which tbf is a pretty poor game graphics wise compared to newer releases and even the remakes. :)

• Like 1