Still worth playing?

AJ_Radio

I’ve had this game for over three years now, but still haven’t gotten round to it. In fact I still need to grab the DLC. 

I will admit, Survival Horror isn’t really my cup of tea. There are exceptions, like the Dead Space games, but I feel the genre as a whole is overdone.

I’m actually more interested in playing The Evil Within than I am playing western survival horror like The Last of Us, or Capcom’s much revered but overly saturated Resident Evil franchise.

Those of you who played through this game, what do you guys think?

I love this game. I had so much fun playing it. I got the platinum for both the ps3 and ps4 versions. Akumu was very challenging and made me want to throw my controller a few times but I enjoyed the game so much I did not mind going through it all over again. I've seen the season pass on sale every once and a while for pretty cheap so it is definitely worth it at that point. Now keep in mind I am a huge fan of survival horror, so you might not enjoy it as much as I did but I could not recommend this game enough. The Evil Within 2 was even better but obviously you would have to play the first one first. Anyways, all I am saying is that this game deserves for you to at least give it a shot. You never know unless you try it :) 

Seems I'm alone in thinking this game was pretty much utter trash. Bad performance (at least during the early weeks of release) which affected the gameplay quite a lot, along with bland level design. Meh-story and typical cringy dialogue that you can expect from a Japanese game. I forced myself to play through it, luckily I had a friend who helped me shit on the game to at least give us both some enjoyment. I've heard the sequel is better, but I cannot recommend this game to anyone. Just my opinion.

Edited by SinisterPledge

The game is great but Akumu mode is terrible. The character moves sort of jerky and you aren't allowed to get hit at all so it can be incredibly frustrating. I never got past the dreaded level 6(?) checkpoint. 

If you don't care about the platinum go for it. The two story dlc as stealth based and easy. The third dlc is first person melee so very different from the main game.

Great Platinum to have! Can be difficult on harder difficulties if not planned ahead properly. The story for a survival horror is really good and very well done I thought. Its not a shitty typical survival horror story its in depth and makes you think. The second one is worse than the first in terms of story. I honestly don't think they will make a third.

Edited by kdogg_gamer_

1 hour ago, yowzagabowza said:

The game is great but Akumu mode is terrible. The character moves sort of jerky and you aren't allowed to get hit at all so it can be incredibly frustrating. I never got past the dreaded level 6(?) checkpoint. 

If you don't care about the platinum go for it. The two story dlc as stealth based and easy. The third dlc is first person melee so very different from the main game.

Get good son

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TraumaticChain6 said:

I would recommend the game and the DLC. I loved the DLC more then the main game actually. Kurayami mode in the DLC is the best mode I've ever played. 

Beware that the main game had some controller throwing moments, in my opinion.

Same....I personally found the game fun to play once I got into.....absolutely loved the Kidman DLC from the start (although I've not done Kurayami mode yet)....I didn't love the Executioner DLC though, end yet to finish that one.

Akumu mode was tough, but overall wasn't too bad as you can save after each chapter so it's not like you have to do the game in one go....it was a while ago that I played but I'm sure the chapters still have checkpoints so if you mess up you don't have the frustration of losing hours of gameplay a la Dead Space 2's Hard Core mode....was still rewarding to get through it though.

I say, if you already own it....play it ? 

On 3/11/2019 at 5:47 AM, Spaz said:

I’ve had this game for over three years now, but still haven’t gotten round to it. In fact I still need to grab the DLC. 

I will admit, Survival Horror isn’t really my cup of tea. There are exceptions, like the Dead Space games, but I feel the genre as a whole is overdone.

I’m actually more interested in playing The Evil Within than I am playing western survival horror like The Last of Us, or Capcom’s much revered but overly saturated Resident Evil franchise.

play it now.Evil with in is one of the best games in my opinion.

I really like the game and the characters are very interesting for me, imo, specially the villain Ruvik. (this is not a spoiler). But I have to say this, Don't play the game. :giggle:  You worte:

On 11/03/2019 at 5:47 AM, Spaz said:

I can't see a reason to play the game if you don't like the genre, or think it's overdone. You probably will feel bored to death mid-game. Or try the first 6 chapters in an alt-acc then decide for yourself how you feel about it.
The game is good but also very "old fashioned". It's a type of gameplay we don't see to often nowadays. I miss those games, tbh.

2 hours ago, brownskin81 said:

Same....I personally found the game fun to play once I got into.....absolutely loved the Kidman DLC from the start (although I've not done Kurayami mode yet)....I didn't love the Executioner DLC though, end yet to finish that one.

Akumu mode was tough, but overall wasn't too bad as you can save after each chapter so it's not like you have to do the game in one go....it was a while ago that I played but I'm sure the chapters still have checkpoints so if you mess up you don't have the frustration of losing hours of gameplay a la Dead Space 2's Hard Core mode....was still rewarding to get through it though.

I say, if you already own it....play it 1f44d.png 

Kurayami mode is a cakewalk, especially if you've done Akumu. It's just dark.

Edited by yowzagabowza

6 hours ago, BG_painter said:

I can't see a reason to play the game if you don't like the genre, or think it's overdone. You probably will feel bored to death mid-game. Or try the first 6 chapters in an alt-acc then decide for yourself how you feel about it.
The game is good but also very "old fashioned". It's a type of gameplay we don't see to often nowadays. I miss those games, tbh.

Are you referring to the old Resident Evil type of “old fashioned”? 

That dates back to 1996. Survival horror is saturated with zombie like games where it’s not so much of trying to survive as it is making a horror first/third person shooter. 

The old survival horror games forced you to conserve ammo and plan ahead. From what I’m getting that’s what The Evil Within is. 

Shinji Mikami also made Vanquish, which is a game I plan to play at some point.

• Like 1

I liked the game a lot when I played it. The sequel is even better. Both are great games 

14 hours ago, Spaz said:

Are you referring to the old Resident Evil type of “old fashioned”? 

That dates back to 1996. Survival horror is saturated with zombie like games where it’s not so much of trying to survive as it is making a horror first/third person shooter. 

The old survival horror games forced you to conserve ammo and plan ahead. From what I’m getting that’s what The Evil Within is. 

Shinji Mikami also made Vanquish, which is a game I plan to play at some point.

Yep that is what I mean. ?

I didn't know he made Vanquish... hum.... i'll check it out.

I just finished getting 100% on the HK version and without a doubt I will be doing all the other one's as well and as a fan of survival horror games this one is definitely on my top list so I highly  recommend getting the plat and buying the dlc's. Besides some camera problems and the first person view in the executioner dlc which can screw you up everything else is really good and akumu isn't as bad as it seems yet some parts can be very frustrating .

• 1 month later...

The evil within 1 and two are some of my absolute favorite games this generation. I’d recommend it wholeheartedly 

• Like 1