One Piece World Seeker Trophy Thoughts

Seems to be easy and looks a lot of fun

plus being a big one piece fan i cant help myself to buy it.

11 minutes ago, DragonSpear2462 said:

I'm honestly very skeptical for this game, but One Piece is my favorite anime/manga series of all time, so it's an instant-buy for me.

Trophy-wise, it looks very straightforward. Looks easier than Unlimited World Red.

Don't be skeptical just enjoy it!

2 minutes ago, Mr_McNight said:

Seems to be easy and looks a lot of fun

plus being a big one piece fan i cant help myself to buy it.

Don't be skeptical just enjoy it!

Oh. Don't worry, I will buy, play and platinum the game =P

Just sad that when they first teased that they were making the biggest/most ambitious One Piece game ever, I got way too hyped (my fault I guess) and now am somewhat disappointed at the open world and gameplay shown so far.

1 hour ago, DragonSpear2462 said:

Oh. Don't worry, I will buy, play and platinum the game =P

Just sad that when they first teased that they were making the biggest/most ambitious One Piece game ever, I got way too hyped (my fault I guess) and now am somewhat disappointed at the open world and gameplay shown so far.

Yup, I’m not too impressed with the open world from what I’ve seen so far. It looks all empty like there’s no npcs, wildlife, nada. I cancelled my preorder just so I can see what the finished game looks like because the gameplay that’s up on YouTube atm is disappointing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DragonSpear2462 said:

I'm honestly very skeptical for this game, but One Piece is my favorite anime/manga series of all time, so it's an instant-buy for me.

Trophy-wise, it looks very straightforward. Looks easier than Unlimited World Red.

[review in progress]

I wasn't expecting much, but it's surprisingly good, fun, lots of content. It's a standard map-cleaning action adventure, but it's very free-form, imagine a sort of Spider-Man (2018) structure, movement and combat, it's pure joy.

Skill points might take a while to grind. 100 sidequest might take 20-30 hours in themselves. But should be under 80-100.

4 hours ago, chellesan said:

Hmm I don't now what that rank 100 trophy is, it's looks the most grindy 

I believe that will be filled up as soon as the 100 sidequests and the main quests are completed (as they are required for a sort of faction-karma system, but there are more requirements for them, like defeat x enemies, etc).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fbdbh said:

[review in progress]

I wasn't expecting much, but it's surprisingly good, fun, lots of content. It's a standard map-cleaning action adventure, but it's very free-form, imagine a sort of Spider-Man (2018) structure, movement and combat, it's pure joy.

Skill points might take a while to grind. 100 sidequest might take 20-30 hours in themselves. But should be under 80-100.

I believe that will be filled up as soon as the 100 sidequests and the main quests are completed (as they are required for a sort of faction-karma system, but there are more requirements for them, like defeat x enemies, etc).

What are the side quests like?

41 minutes ago, sephirothdude said:

What are the side quests like?

At this point (Chapter 7) I've only encountered material fetch quests, it's best not to bother with them early, because later you'll have all kinds of materials just from random sparkly spots anyway, and you'll just have to accept them and then by speaking to the NPC again, complete them on the spot.

Some of them seem to be more nuanced, although they were partly story missions (at one point the main mission just says that you should collect your crew members, and they are unlocked in various complex side missions, involving a bit of hiking, a boss encounter and a treasure).

Not all of them unlocked yet on the map, so I guess there might be some that involve combat situations as well, because the combat part has a bit more depth, and it wasn't fully put to use yet.

All that said, traversing is fast, there are no loading screens anywhere (even dungeons are opened from the main world, without a door or anything, you go down a cave, and you'll find a multi-level mine, and no loading there either), and there's fast travel as well. Not much time is lost wandering.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, fbdbh said:

[review in progress]

Have you played PW 1-3 and Unlimited Red? How is this game compared to those, better?

I did not expect such a positive review so far, was planning on skipping it until price drops since I have a huge backlog, but you are tempting me.

What would you say are big negatives you have encountered?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Erkawest said:

What would you say are big negatives you have encountered?

I'd say it's rather broad than deep, but I'm just surprised how much I was pulled in, and haven't had any big problems really.

Edit: added spoiler tag. (Not really spoilers, but it describes gameplay at length.)

Spoiler

I'm not bored, I'm not annoyed by mechanics or technical issues, I enjoy it thoroughly, even though I'm not that much into the map-cleaning open world genre. I haven't played previous titles, but judging by their footage, they were a lot stiffer than World Seeker, but this is a very smooth, uninterrupted free-roaming experience after the first half hour. And I'm not joking, it really plays like Spider-man or Infamous. Like... exactly the same. There's even a big city with huge towering buildings in it and you just swing, you even unlock a 1:1 Spidey swing ability. (If you played these, remember those radio talks during free-roaming? Here they are via the Den Den Mushi, not often, but sometimes they just... paraparapara ?)

And the remarkable thing is, it's just really smooth, it's consistent and stable. I mean I'm coming off Dragon Quest XI, and sometimes it has a similar vibe, if not the same level of quality, it just feels like a great, limitless adventure. As soon as you hit chapter 2 (30-60 minutes tops), you can go anywhere.

Some minor issues:

• Pressing map or menu (or even a tutoria pop-up) can cause the game to freeze for a second or two, takes a bit of loading, but I think this will be fixed
  • I'd appreciate a lock-on feature for combat, flying enemies can be annoying
  • Dialogue is not dubbed most of the time, and they're not really engaging (framing, animation), it's rough and stiff
  • I'm at the mid point, but no indication that you can play as other characters than Luffy (although the whole game, the skill tree is built upon his character), but you can instruct the crew to collect materials, etc., these are on timer, it's... not the most engaging gameplay mechanic, but it's there as a sidenote
  • Fetch quests and other token content feels shallow, but not tiresome, you just zip around the map anyway, and if something comes up, you do it, not much time wasted between two story missions

But basically if you like "the Ubisoft formula", this is very much that with a One Piece coating.

-

That said, yeah, waiting for a sale might not be a bad idea (I mean Devil May Cry 5 and Sekiro still seem a bigger bang for your buck this month), as some areas of it still feel a bit budget-y, but if this is the direction Ganbarion is taking, that deserves support. 

Edited by fbdbh
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

Stupid question but this is the first open world one piece right? The others where fighters correct?  Also is there and sailing/island finding/exploring or are u on the same land the whole time?

Same island (but it's big with multiple towns, unique places), no sailing. Although the trophies indicate some sort of "sky islands". The Thousand Sunny is just docked as of Chapter 9.

2 minutes ago, silver_pigy said:

What arc in the anime does the game go up to, do you know @fbdbh? I want to pick up this game but I wont be playing it until I'm passed the point it goes to in the anime so nothing gets spoiled for me.

I do believe it's a unique story so you don't need to have watched all of the anime to understand what's going on.

1 minute ago, silver_pigy said:

What arc in the anime does the game go up to, do you know @fbdbh? I want to pick up this game but I wont be playing it until I'm passed the point it goes to in the anime so nothing gets spoiled for me.

I'm not up to date either. I get the impression that it's a fairly standalone adventure, with the island's originally written inhabitants serving as more prominent NPCs / story fodder, while the standard crew just hangs back doing their stuff. Occasional encounters don't seem to be spoiling a grander narrative. Never felt that "uh oh I should know what they're referring to".

• Like 2

boring trophy list. story missions and side missions + side mission grind which i bet are very repetitive . defeating enemies is also a grind. huge OP manga fan but i will def wait for a sale, especially with the current price which is 97.90€ season pack included.

2 hours ago, Jamberman said:

So is this game bad? Reviews are being harsh with it and currently it has a score below of 60 as an average in Metacritic.

It's not, I don't know what they were expecting. It's a niche and mid-budget game, manage your expectations (okay, its price should reflect that, but otherwise, it's perfectly fine). Mike Fahey of Kotaku speaks positively. And taking IGN seriously is really-really hard.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fbdbh said:

It's not, I don't know what they were expecting. It's a niche and mid-budget game, manage your expectations (okay, its price should reflect that, but otherwise, it's perfectly fine). Mike Fahey of Kotaku speaks positively. And taking IGN seriously is really-really hard.

I'm so glad I ignore those reviews nowadays, I wouldn't have bought like 60% of games I have on my list because of them and most of them are written by a person who can't even play games properly.

Thanks for your review, now I'm excited for a game thanks to you :)

• Like 1