(Debunked) Sony might be gearing up to acquire Take Two

majob

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/stock-market-poised-for-tepid-rise-but-dow-remains-under-pressure-amid-boeing-737-8-woes-2019-03-13

Take-Two Interactive Software TTWO, +6.70%stock climbed 4.7% on rumors that Sony Corp.SNE, +0.73% “is in advanced board level discussions to acquire Take-Two Interactive in a mostly cash deal,” that would value the company at $130 share, according to Joel Kulina, head of technology and media trading at Wedbush Securities.

Edited by majob
Clarification
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dark771 said:

Ehh... rumors should be taken with a grain of salt.

Gaming rumors should be taken with a grain of salt. Business rumors backed by stock increases have far more weight. Fox's stock leapt up when Disney was rumored to be buying them until the deal became official and Sony can very much afford this deal in terms of assets

Edited by majob
  • Like 2

If true, I highly doubt a deal would ever actually go through. Take Two is entirely too big, and Sony isn't doing great as a company lately. They aren't about to spend billions to buy a major studio like Take Two. Plus, there's no reason for Take Two to want to sell. Take Two is making entirely too much money on their own. 

I have no doubt that Sony wants to buy a studio like Take Two, I'm sure MS does as well, I just doubt that it would ever actually happen.

3 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

Sony isn't doing great as a company lately.

While I get your point this is exactly why they may want to acquire a profitable company that is self sustaining. Sony would fork out a huge sum with low risk and high ROI. Also broadens their portfolio with Huge IP's, Borderlands, Bioschock, RDR, GTA, that sell very well. 

Edited by Afro_Gear
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

If true, I highly doubt a deal would ever actually go through. Take Two is entirely too big, and Sony isn't doing great as a company lately. They aren't about to spend billions to buy a major studio like Take Two. Plus, there's no reason for Take Two to want to sell. Take Two is making entirely too much money on their own. 

I have no doubt that Sony wants to buy a studio like Take Two, I'm sure MS does as well, I just doubt that it would ever actually happen.

Explain what you think "great" is then go read Sony's last earning report. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

About the only areas Sony aren't doing well in are mobiles and PCs. Every other department is still strong and they've made literal billions from Fate Grand Order alone. Look at their quarter report

Edited by majob
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Afro_Gear said:

While I get your point this is exactly why they may want to acquire a profitable company that is self sustaining. Sony would fork out a huge sum with low risk and high ROI. Also broadens their portfolio with Huge IP's, Borderlands, Bioschock, RDR, GTA, that sell very well. 

I definitely understand that point, but I think Take Two is just too big and would cost too much. They would have to make a deal to sell to Sony, and I don't see them doing that. I could be wrong though. 

7 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Explain what you think "great" is then go read Sony's last earning report. 

Earning reports are pretty useless on their own. You have to look at earning next to things like operating costs. Especially when it comes to huge companies like Sony. They're doing better overall than they were a year ago, but they're still not doing as well as they once were.

Well we've been bamboozled. Seems to be market speculation with zero sources : https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor-speculation-market-speculates-that-sony-could-buy-take-two-see-update-in-op.105143/

But then again article here from OP's post does sound like a source so I am not sure: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/stock-market-poised-for-tepid-rise-but-dow-remains-under-pressure-amid-boeing-737-8-woes-2019-03-13

Edited by Afro_Gear

Earning reports are pretty useless on their own. You have to look at earning next to things like operating costs. Especially when it comes to huge companies like Sony. They're doing better overall than they were a year ago, but they're still not doing as well as they once were.

Of course you can't or won't use any of the available facts. Internet warriors would rather spout their brand of nonsense until their hands fall off rather than acknowledge the facts prove them wrong. I really thought this place was better.

They have more weight than some guy saying "This business isn't doing great" without any explanation or justification whatsoever. 

The money Sony has gone on record as earning didn't just vanish because of your poor opinion of them or any change in their stock price.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheYuriG said:

To be fair, saying no source has been found doesn't mean it's fake. Markets are based around chatter and gossip in the first place but to clarify the thread the title has been changed

Edited by majob

5 minutes ago, majob said:

To be fair, saying no source has been found doesn't mean it's fake. Markets are based around chatter and gossip in the first place but to clarify the thread the title has been changed

i was under the impression that the very dude to have "leaked" this information saying he was misunderstood directly related to all of this being irrelevant information

First, Market Watch reported that Wedbush Securities analyst Joel Kulina said Sony is currently in "advanced board level discussions to acquire Take-Two Interactive in a mostly cash deal." GameSpot contacted Kulina for clarification, and he expressed frustration with what he says was a misquote, leading him to be "bombarded with calls" about the comment.

"There is nothing behind this story that I've seen," Kulina told GameSpot. "No one has found a source. Market chatter refers to simply what we hear on trading desks--happens daily, just more surprised this has gone viral like it has."

I would honestly point the market share increase to the Borderlands 3 reveal, like the article mentions. That makes a lot more sense to me.

Thank god this is fake. I can't think of a worse company to take over a great few series of games. 

Why?: Killzone, Modnation, Buzz!, Resistance, SOCOM: all flagship Sony brands that got discontinued despite being console sellers and/or fan favourites.

They don't have a clue what they're doing.

Edited by Potent_Delusions

3 hours ago, TheYuriG said:

i was under the impression that the very dude to have "leaked" this information saying he was misunderstood directly related to all of this being irrelevant information

I would honestly point the market share increase to the Borderlands 3 reveal, like the article mentions. That makes a lot more sense to me.

A company's stock wouldn't climb almost 5% off the announcement of a new entry in a game series who's best selling entry only pushed 12 million units. To put that into perspective, Take Two's stock actually dipped in spite of Red Dead Redemptions success and it's pushed 23 million units so far. That's also not to mention that Sony's stock climbed with it. The article says there's no source, no source doesn't mean it might not be happening. No one had concrete proof of the Fox buyout for weeks

8 hours ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

Next GTA in Tokyo.

I really like the idea of being able to play the next GTA in an Asian setting ? Chinatown Wars for the Nintendo DS was a nice nostalgia trip (of course) but a true next-gen experience would be incredible.