The trophy whore jumped out

RynRodriguez

I always have found disgust in people who brag about their 100th PSN level, but when i check their profile i find that they have like 250 30 minute platinums from same japanese/korean games :) It's pathetic. And i think stacks are pointless - i have finished Sound Shapes on Vita, and i did not stacked it with PS3 and PS4.. I would rather complete it again in the future than get all those platiniums for free - what is the point of that?

Edited by Kristmas2

8 minutes ago, damage_6-9 said:

Hearing all those lovely "dings" in rapid succession 1f914.png ....Work smarter, not harder... lol

For me it's like some sort of a cheating. But everyone likes different things - i'd rather have level 25 with many different games i like playing - and some sick people rather have level 100 bloated with unplayable crappy games in languages they don't even understand :) Who i am to judge them? :)

Edited by Kristmas2

Lots! 

I love me an easy slutty platinum or 2 so i can watch a rain down of trophies after a big expedition for a plat on a big game like Dead by Daylight or Warhammer.

The stacks I want to do again and again are the Bioshock games though.  I recently did the Japanese PS3 version and it was my game of the year without doubt!  I need more of them!!!!!!!!

Not sure if it counts as I'm not certain what you call stacks? Only same game/different regions? Games that auto-pop if you done one version previsouly? Anyway, the only game I bothered to do all over again immediately because I loved it to death was Guacameele on the VITA and then the PS4 edition right afterwards. I'm not interested in pilling plats for the same game for the sake of it though.

Edited by fabmorais_2011

8 hours ago, German Atheist said:

People, how many more of these redundant bullshitty spam threads do we need on this forums, huh? Aren't, like, 23 enough already? PSNP drowns in trash like this. Jesus fucking Christ! 1f621.png

These threads are looking for some redemption through penance. Like 'guys tell me please I'm doing fine'. Let's be respectful as they are after some attonement.

I have 3 which are Metro Last Light, Skyrim & Far Cry 3. I love all these games to death and was very happy to do them all again a few years later. Stacking the same easy game 4 times, or autopopping trophies on the same game mutliple times just isn't my thing and it never will be.

The only games I can think of on my list are the first Guacamelee and Rayman Legends. Platinumed both of them on PS3, but bought them again when they were cheap on sale on PS4 and platinumed them again because I really enjoyed them. I don't go for just increasing my trophy count so I usually avoid stacking, but these two games were the exception.

Used to do them all the time on my old account but I got burned out by them. For this one I decided to pick whichever stack was the rarest, then only do that one. For the record I have no issue with other people doing stacks, if they get a kick out of it then go for it.

Edited by I-SilentEcho-I

I don’t consider stuff like Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls, LA Noire or Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor to be trophy whoring.

You still have to play the games from scratch, meaning they aren’t games that can be done in one hour and you can’t just autopop those platinums. These games I mentioned take around 25 hours to well over 50 hours, depending on your knowledge of the games. 

Doing them a second time around probably means you’ll get the games done a lot faster. I myself have done this before. But if you enjoyed the games enough to where you want to play them again again, I don’t think that’s trophy whoring. 

Playing LA Noire back in 2011 and then playing the remastered version in 2019 can’t be called trophy whoring at all in the slightest. That’s a long time, and you may have forgotten a lot about the game. 

Trophy whoring should mean stacking very easy games, one after the other within the same time frame and doing a game more than two times. 

I whored out Aab’s Animals. I whored out Sound Shapes, did all six stacks, and Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, since you can just autopop the other version if you already have the platinum. 

I have 30 - 31 stacks, mostly games I wanted to play again because I enjoyed them the first time.

• Like 1

Stacking isn't something I do just because I want more trophies, it's only applicable in my case (and several others) if I'm replaying games that I really enjoy, and that I wouldn't mind getting all the trophies for again. My enjoyment in replaying those games gets full priority, the trophies come second.

I don't know exactly which ones I have stacked, but I'd say: some Telltale games, the Batman Arkham games, Metro Last Light, Far Cry 3, GTA V, Skyrim ... And I plan on doing the BioShock games and Uncharted games again as well, as an example.

Edited by Aponac1987

I have zero platinums stacked and I probably never will have them. I do not get most people who do this, honestly. I kinda see the motives of the cheapest of trophy whores who basically buy the same shitty 1€ trophy whore game 3 times to inflate their already pretty much worthless collection even more, because they have a clear goal and are doing it the cheapest and most efficient way possible. But then there are people who rebuy games they already completed, good games, games that do not come for 1€ but for 10€ and more, and that is where I do not understand what is getting through their heads. They pretty much spend 10€ or more for a game they already have, so all they get out of it is one more platinum, which is honestly pretty freaking stupid. There is no prestige in doing it again, no satisfaction from getting it done because you already got that, you know you will get it again. One platinum is not worth the money they are paying and many games are actually more tedious while going for some of the more annoying trophies.

I have replayed some of my games, including The Last Of Us, Oddworld, The Witcher 3 and parts of MGS5. I played these games without having to think about trophies and I did not have to pay for it again, never would I have considered to rebuy something I have already owned just to turn a light hearded replay into another trophy chase. Just the thought of adding the shitty headshot grinding to my The Witcher 3 replay seems ridiculous to me. I already have a pretty unhealthy relationship with trophies, I have punished myself more than most to get some of the bling I have, platinums like the one from Orcs Must Die Unchained, trophies no normal human being should ever go for, are proof of that, but even I think that if you can't even replay some of the greatest games in your library without getting trophies for it, you might have a problem.

What I consider to be alright is buying a remaster or remake of a game you already finished, because at least the experience is different then.

Edited by Nighcisama

I have a bunch. It used to be that if a game was good, I'd play it again, particularly if it was free for me on another system. Pier Solar was a fun game, and a UR plat that I have full control over, so yeah - I platted it again. Dragon Age: Inquisition was at my library on PS3. I played it there first, and loved it so much that I decided to buy the ultimate edition on PS4 (which was nice, as it also gave me the PS3 DLC for free).

More recently, though, I've mostly been trophy whoring. While I absolutely loved the Ratalaika game Blasting Agent, and enjoyed Legion of Evil well enough, I can't say the same for schlock like Squareboy or 36 Fragments of Midnight, but I platted them again on the Vita.

10 hours ago, Nighcisama said:

What I consider to be alright is buying a remaster or remake of a game you already finished, because at least the experience is different then.

Seems like a random distinction. I have paid for a precious few remasters of games I'd already platted (Dark Souls is the main one), and there isn't that much difference in the "experience".

Edited by starcrunch061

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

Seems like a random distinction. I have paid for a precious few remasters of games I'd already platted (Dark Souls is the main one), and there isn't that much difference in the "experience".

It is not really random. Usually the difference with remasters is that the graphic is better, sometimes other things are changed as well like how The Last Of Us and Uncharted remasters have a new, harder difficulty setting. Remakes obviously have even more differences to justify a rebuy. Any differences may be minor as hell in remasters, but they are there so you can decide whether or not the rebuy is worth it. It is about getting something out of it that actually affects the game you rebought. I would not pay full price for the remaster of a game I already played if the differences a very minor, but I would want to buy it at some point if it is a great game because I want the best possible version of a game I really enjoyed.

Rebuying a game just for the trophies to pop again is still playing the exact same game and pretty much paying a second time for the privilege, which is also a dangerous signal to send in todays industry because if that ever becomes common enough to be noticed, we might not only have to pay for a second saveslot but for any second playthrough. Thankfully trophy hunters who do that are a minority amongst minorities, so the chances of that happening should be very low.

46 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

Rebuying a game just for the trophies to pop again is still playing the exact same game and pretty much paying a second time for the privilege, which is also a dangerous signal to send in todays industry because if that ever becomes common enough to be noticed, we might not only have to pay for a second saveslot but for any second playthrough. Thankfully trophy hunters who do that are a minority amongst minorities, so the chances of that happening should be very low.

I don’t think this is always the case.

The reason we have lot of PS3 remasters for the PS4 is because the PS3 was infamously hard to code for. Plus comparing that to the PS4, it has an entirely different structure so there was no way there would be backwards compatibility. 

Something like the original Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor and the Game of the Year Edition? Maybe, but most people who were interested in getting that game had already gotten it. Most also aren’t going to play a game a second time just for the trophies.

Personally, I generally wait a year or so before I decide to stack a game that I have to pay for.

Games that automatically come with crossbuy I make an exception to. You can argue that that is trophy whoring. 

Just my two cents.

Not really the same thing but I've got a PS4 account with platinum and a PC account that might as well have platinum on FFXIV.  When I started playing the game on PC I created a new account and character and did the platinum requirements many times over by now.

But I've never stacked a game and I don't plan on it.  Usually my games are pretty grindy and once is enough, if I intend to get through my backlog.