"Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies "

KitsuneChaos

The damage already been done. Almost every single site minus the Xbox fanboys, Journalist who always in bed with M$, and a few of the Xbox Achievements sites they were losing on almost every single end.  Some of those features M$ had would of put gaming back to where it was in 1983-1984 and that is an scary thing to think of to me.  They saw the pre-orders way the hell down and decided to change it's policys with Kinetic still being mandatory.  Still the gamers who were smart voted with their wallets and put down pre-orders on the PS4. Think M$ will win the first wave battle, not bad the long shot. Think some simple minded gamers and casuals going to buy the Xbox One...yep. We voted with our wallets and won. That what matters the most.

• Like 3

It shows they are at least smart enough to know their policies were not going to be tolerated. This is a great day for gamers everywhere because I can't see any console gaming company touching DRM  with a 10 foot pole after the backlash Micro$oft endured.

Micro$oft still sucks though.

• Like 1

I'm happy for gaming. This will create better competition. I'll game multiplatform so I can play exclusives, but I think I'm going to focus more on Playstation for most games from here on out. Sony seems to care about it's customers more. And, I should add, I don't trust MS after all of this.

• Like 1

in case anyone cares amazon best sellers for video games. 1. xbox one day one edition 2. the last of us 3. ps4 standard edition 4. ps4 with watch dogs 5. ps4 with bf4 6. psn $20 card 7. animal crossing 8. ps4 with killzone 9. ps4 controller 10. ps4 launch edition. so in the top ten ps has 8 missing out on 1 and 7. after that its fairly mixed.

Edited by blackburnfan19

I wish someone had filmed the panic meeting at Microsoft where they decided this, I bet that would have been hilarious too see.

Nevertheless I could care less what Microsoft are up too, for all we know this is a good thing, maybe now the twelve year olds won't switch over and thereby relieving us of the horror of having to deal with them. In my opinion the ones we have are quite enough.

However I was always going to buy the PS4 anyways, I've always played on the playstation and I've never really payed any mind to the xbox (quite frankly I don't really know a lot about it even) because I am more than happy with what Sony does and I have no reason whatsoever to change, i never have.

• Like 2

I still do not understand how everyone keeps coming to this conclusion.

My only logical understanding would be the Playstation bias that comes with the territory.

well that and because sony hasnt said some of the things don mattrick (or however you spell it) has said. like they have an offline system called the 360.

• Like 1

I'll still be buying a PS4 at launch instead of this, but now I won't feel so bad about buying it down the road. Forza 5 and Halo 5 have got me hooked :/

Agreed my Curbatronic friend.

I pre-ordered a PS4 on the day of the E3 reveal (waited for price confirmation) and although the MS DRM didn't affect me personally, I boycotted out of principle.

In the end, I'm platform-agnostic and though PS4 will be my lead console, I want the freedom to play games that I can only get on Xbox. With these restrictions out of the way, I've now pre-ordered both.

My only question is what will defend the consumers if they will reimplement all of their DRM stuff after a year or two? They can basicly do that too, and xbox users can`t do nothing against it once they use it for years.

The people have spoken with a 95% to 5% consumer sentiment in favour of Sony's policies. In anyone's language, that is a shalacking of monumental proportions.

MS now knows we won't eat their dicks without a fight. They can't back down now, this policy is set in stone for a generation.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 3

My only logical understanding would be the Playstation bias that comes with the territory.

Lets look at PlayStation Plus vs. XBox Live

• PS+ offers free games, XBox live doesn't (but they will start soon because of the backlash, so a win for XBox fanbois courtesy of Sony. You're welcome!)
  • You don't need to own an online membership to access Netflix, since it already has a subscription price. XBox restricts you and makes you pay $50 to access Netflix
  • Sony's online store offers discounts, and some good ones at that! I hear that many games that are years old online are still priced at the release price in the XBox store.
  • Sony didn't mandate restrictions on game trades.

I'm sure there is more but you get the idea . . .

Pretty good news for those who like Xbox bad for us. If you look at the pricing you would see that X1 is actually $350/£329 with Kinect 2.0 with it. This could mean a shift in the wind boys and girls. The only way they could kill it is if they sell it $450/£379, that price would put customers at ease. Damn it Microsoft!

The fact that Sony never had any of the policies that the XBone has, the fact that Sony doesn't force Indie developers to have a publisher to get their titles on the PS4, the fact that Sony doesn't force developers to adhere to a strict schedule to pump their games out and the fact that Sony isn't forcing us to connect a camera to our new systems are just a few examples. 

Also, it has been confirmed that the XBone is region free like PlayStation so that is awesome news. I wonder since the online restriction isn't there anymore, will only 21 countries be able to use it?

Parker

• Like 1

Lets look at PlayStation Plus vs. XBox Live

• PS+ offers free games, XBox live doesn't (but they will start soon because of the backlash, so a win for XBox fanbois courtesy of Sony. You're welcome!)
  • You don't need to own an online membership to access Netflix, since it already has a subscription price. XBox restricts you and makes you pay $50 to access Netflix
  • Sony's online store offers discounts, and some good ones at that! I hear that many games that are years old online are still priced at the release price in the XBox store.
  • Sony didn't mandate restrictions on game trades.

I'm sure there is more but you get the idea . . .

- Recirculates titles that are long out of their original circulation; PS+ only just picked up the pace on decent titles in 2012 (and by decent, I mean pretty much anything)

- Netflix partnership with consoles started with Xbox 360 back in 2008; no attempts at policy change were made on their part.

- Same matters run for both consoles, more so with Microsoft when they open their Sales portion of the marketplace in 2011; same goes with PC game owners (even more so with Steam and competing retailers).

- Microsoft made an attempt at utilizing DRM and expanding the opportunity of using and sharing your software without requiring the disc; unfortunately this had poor response. Sony did absolutely nothing to make any changes or innovate; gets rewarded.

• Like 2

Can we just stop the fanboy comments please?

We didn't sign bloodpact agreements to stick to one company, however 

I still don't want:

the kinect 2(the first is garbage I know I have two...)

I still think the NSA is still there when we're online

and I really am sick and tired of the microsoft fanboys (omg they're damn annoying)

I'm all for the ps4 and I think we ALL know that Sony is the better company but I don't think this should sink to the low that is: http://www.trueachievements.com/ (please look in the comments to see what I mean: http://www.trueachievements.com/n13725/ms-updates-its-position-on-drm.htm)

Can we just stop the fanboy comments please?

We didn't sign bloodpact agreements to stick to one company, however 

I still don't want:

the kinect 2(the first is garbage I know I have two...)

I still think the NSA is still there when we're online

and I really am sick and tired of the microsoft fanboys (omg they're damn annoying)

I'm all for the ps4 and I think we ALL know that Sony is the better company but I don't think this should sink to the low that is: http://www.trueachievements.com/ (please look in the comments to see what I mean: http://www.trueachievements.com/n13725/ms-updates-its-position-on-drm.htm)

You realize that goes both ways, right? Sony fanboys are just as annoying as Microsoft fanboys. 

Parker

• Like 2

- Microsoft made an attempt at utilizing DRM and expanding the opportunity of using and sharing your software without requiring the disc; unfortunately this had poor response. Sony did absolutely nothing to make any changes or innovate; gets rewarded.

Taking away basic ownership rights is "innovation"? You keep drinking Bill Gate's Kool Aid! LOL

There's a saying that definitely applies "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I'm just going to put this here...almost spot on, few months off lol.

1iD7IHu.png

I think we all saw this coming. It was inevitable...

MS put themselves out there for the next-gen and their action or inaction on DRM hinged on Sony's reply at E3.

We all gave MS the big "fuck you!", they had no choice but to back down.

• Like 1

Maybe "care about customers" is too strong from me. However, "aware of" might be better. I have been an Xbox gamer for years. I'm not glued to the PS3 only, but like where PS is going. I like the communication coming from Sony over the last couple of years so much more than MS. I'm tired of MS trying to convince me that Kinect is the best thing ever (referring to the E3s from last year and the year before). To be fair, Sony did the same with the Move, but I feel it works better than Kinect. I'm tired of MS's Gawd awful customer service (though, to be fair I haven't had to experience Sony's to compare). I'm tired of MS leaving people hanging after their poorly-thought-out and poorly-executed programs prove not to be profitable (Game Room, Games for Windows Live, Xbox Gold Family Plan, and there are more). Finally, I'm tired of feeling like something is being crammed down my throat. I agree, innovation has been halted here, and that's a shame. Maybe MS's problem was how they presented these changes and not necessarily the changes themselfves.

Anyways, Sony's communication has felt much more positive, with their overall emphasis on valuing thier customers and giving game developers a place to comfortably develop their products (I'm referring to Indies). Maybe I'm way off, but I think that freedom is something HBO does with its original programming to a small degree, and that is one of the (many) reasons for its good quality.

Anyways, sorry for the ramble. Just wanted to assure you I'm not a Sony fanboy. I am just impressed with Sony lately and a bit tired of MS.

• Like 3

Agreed my Curbatronic friend.

I pre-ordered a PS4 on the day of the E3 reveal (waited for price confirmation) and although the MS DRM didn't affect me personally, I boycotted out of principle.

In the end, I'm platform-agnostic and though PS4 will be my lead console, I want the freedom to play games that I can only get on Xbox. With these restrictions out of the way, I've now pre-ordered both.

This, this, a thousand times this... sans pre-order, since I'm a poor, filthy peasant right now, but I intend to drop off my deposit(s?) as soon as I can. Hell, maybe I'll even do the Xbone on Day One now, depending on whether or not my roomie's willing to help out. 

• Like 1