"Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies "

KitsuneChaos

IT NOT THE FEEDBACK! They only did this because the pre-sales were low  on amazon and other websites

Thats still feedback. MS discovered that consumers were voting with their pockets through the medium of pre-orders and thought to themselves that they were taking an awful dicking so they did something about it.

"Imitation is the best form of flattery"

- Jack Tretton

Microsoft is doing what Sony has always done... the PS3 was future proof before it was cool... but never forced the media side because its nothing but a peripheral...

Microsoft was smart in making this move, it was kind of obvious they would, but the damage is done, they were going to include DRM and always online and they saw it was a bad idea, just because they changed it now doesn't mean they aren't thinking about returning to it later on.

Anyways, congratulations xbox fanboys, now your console of choice is slightly less crappy (let's see for how long)

Edit: This made my day, still laughing

1l48.png

Edited by HardXDXtraga

The problem I have with this:

It all seems like one big ploy from Microsoft. They created all these awful features, than decided "hey, let's half the 360 and do a 180 - yeah!". Except that isn't what they were thinking.

Right from the start, or so it seems due to this announcement, they were never going to go through with their policies. It was one big plan to make them seem like the "good guys who listen to feedback".

Because seriously - why on earth announce all those **itty features at once, and so early? It was to give them a few months/weeks to "listen".Big emphasis on "listen", because they haven't been doing that for years.

The problem I have with this:

It all seems like one big ploy from Microsoft. They created all these awful features, than decided "hey, let's half the 360 and do a 180 - yeah!". Except that isn't what they were thinking.

Right from the start, or so it seems due to this announcement, they were never going to go through with their policies. It was one big plan to make them seem like the "good guys who listen to feedback".

Because seriously - why on earth announce all those **itty features at once, and so early? It was to give them a few months/weeks to "listen".Big emphasis on "listen", because they haven't been doing that for years.

Is it so hard to believe that they were legitimately going to try something new?

Bear with me here -- I've been trying so hard to not blatantly call people single minded and ignorant. So hard.

• Like 2

So a bunch of jerks loyal to MS kept saying how SONY would have to implement those same features, and that we were being played by them, now MS changes the rules, yeah I'm sure a lot of people is feeling stupid right now.

Either way, I don't buy the whole "we listen to feedback" act, I'm sure the software/hardware that make these policies capable are still on the console, Microsoft is just waiting the perfect time to turn them on.

So a bunch of jerks loyal to MS kept saying how SONY would have to implement those same features, and that we were being played by them, now MS changes the rules, yeah I'm sure a lot of people is feeling stupid right now.

Either way, I don't buy the whole "we listen to feedback" act, I'm sure the software/hardware that make these policies capable are still on the console, Microsoft is just waiting the perfect time to turn them on.

Sony wasted no time to patent the DRM technology for the PS4. And when asked about it in February (after the announcement), they shuffled to figure out what the right answer was, and then laughed that "they weren't going to do anything yet".

After reading the news of Microsoft changing their policy with the XboxOne I was a happy consumer! The more evenly matched the consoles are the more it boils down to good software and interesting bundles and/or subscriptions to win over the gamers.

So if Microsoft cuts it's price and Sony includes a camera we can get on with what really counts: the games and support surrounding the console.

• Like 1

And Sony can easily do just the same.

Sony has clearly stated they have no desire to that (with the PS4 at least) while Microsoft had every intention to but the gaming communities uproar made them change their mind. So yeah, Sony could do it, but that is a very weak argument for the XBone especially since Microsoft wanted to do it. 

Parker

• Like 2

Sony has clearly stated they have no desire to that (with the PS4 at least) while Microsoft had every intention to but the gaming communities uproar made them change their mind. So yeah, Sony could do it, but that is a very weak argument for the XBone especially since Microsoft wanted to do it. 

I'd agree with the PS4 part. They were against pay for online before too, so I guess subsecuently they may decide to add used games DRM next gen :)

end of the day these are businesses. What they try to do is make as much money out of you as possible. MS isn't exactly a good friend, but neither is Sony, or Nintendo, etc.

Hmmm.. correct me if I'm wrong but Microsoft did not force anyone to buy their console. The only problem I found with it was the "Always online and requires Kinect". I still think PS4 is going to kill it on the dance floor but I'm still getting an Xbox One as well.  Also why do people say the Xbox 360 is for Shooter Droids but the PS3 which has a large RPG collection is not backlashed at?

Edited by shutyourmcface

Parker

Not quite; they shuffled for the right answer and then claimed that they don't have an interest to do it at the moment.

I'm still seriously upset by the reversal. It would have lead to a great convenience -- but no one took the time to educate themselves on the conveniences. Instead, on comes the "consumer rights" argument, solely for the sake of preaching anything.

• Like 1

First of all I personally dont do Microsofts consoles.

It have nothing against them as a business, its just I couldnt adapt to the size of the controller for the original console and the x360 didnt seem like value for money when I compared it to the PS3 when I purchased it.

I actually thought that MS's idea of sharing stuff was a wonderful idea but if they had simply given the option to choose.

"Would you like to be able to share this game with up to 9 friends or would you like to be able to trade it in.

Please think carefully because you will only get one opportunity to choose."

And then the disk is registered as a sharing game or a trade-able game

Now I could see this leading to problems as in I have chosen to share the game but now I want to trade it in and its buyer beware, unless the trade in place checks the game before accepting it.

Always online was always going to be more of a pain in the arse as I know lots of people with games consoles that have never put them online - PS3, Wii and x360 - they simply dont do online.

So a console that has to communicate once every 24 hrs or you cant play games is a very real concern.

And if you dont go online who wants to spend £430 on a blu-ray player you can talk to!

Its all about choice and if the only choice you give people is take it or leave it then lots of would be consumers will just leave it.

When you are trying to sell something as the "one for everything" a polarising choice like that is simply stupid.

What they should have done is made games purchased on XBL shareable and then made physical discs non-shareable (but tradeable) Then it would have been perfect. Instead of 24 hour check in for physical discs it would instead just make sure you have a legitimate disc in the system but digital copies could still require a 24 hour check in. If they had done it this way people may have still complained but people would have accepted it (especially if the digital games were 10-20$ cheaper).

I actually thought that MS's idea of sharing stuff was a wonderful idea but if they had simply given the option to choose.
"Would you like to be able to share this game with up to 9 friends or would you like to be able to trade it in.
Please think carefully because you will only get one opportunity to choose."
And then the disk is registered as a sharing game or a trade-able game