I don't get why RE2 is so great

abhinandhan22

I was extremely hyped to play this game since I absolutely loved RE7(first RE game for me personally) but having finished Leon A playthrough last night, I just thought the game was good. Wasn't a huge fan of the excessive backtracking and I felt 7 had a creepier vibe to it as compared to 2. I also enjoyed the story and gameplay of 7 more although the shooting mechanics are similar across both games. Am I the only one who thinks this way?

• Like 4

Ive played all but re3 and code Veronica and while 7 was ok I much prefered the others the guy in 7 and the family just bored me I love Leon, Claire, Chris, Ada, Jill etc they was badass and cracked jokes and was great in the thick of battle or being hunted by creepy enemies they just had that flair 7 I felt like the guy was peeing and crapping himself constantly that's just meh. The dlc was decent though. 

But 2 remake I'm enjoying :) it's not quite a resident evil unless it requires a crank and back tracking :P

Well that is part of the issue. You jumped from the sole(mainline) FPS RE game to a TPS RE game. Nothing wrong with that but it's a major change in tone. The backtracking in RE2 is not that bad. You only go to the police station twice then leave to the jails then leave the station forever to the sewers. the sewers is one gigantic circle then to the lab. The lab does have the most back track because you leave one section return to the center then leave to the next then return. But the biggest reason people love RE2:RE is because unlike RE7 it's a actual "return to it's roots" with creepy monsters and puzzles as well as a fight for survival. In RE7 even on madhouse post opening it's no real threat to you at all as the molded are extremely slow and your biggest enemy is the horrid aiming mechanics.

Edited by EmoKitten4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EmoKitten4 said:

Well that is part of the issue. You jumped from the sole(mainline) FPS RE game to a TPS RE game. Nothing wrong with that but it's a major change in tone. The backtracking in RE2 is not that bad. You only go to the police station twice then leave to the jails then leave the station forever to the sewers. the sewers is one gigantic circle then to the lab. The lab does have the most back track because you leave one section return to the center then leave to the next then return. But the biggest reason people love RE2:RE is because unlike RE7 it's a actual "return to it's roots" with creepy monsters and puzzles as well as a fight for survival. In RE7 even on madhouse post opening it's no real threat to you at all as the molded are extremely slow and your biggest enemy is the horrid aiming mechanics.

3 hours ago, Asvinia said:

From what I remember of the original, people liked it because it was a 'survival' horror. You coud screw yourself over to the point where you'd have to start again. It made you think about what you were doing and plan ahead. It was also one of the first proper survival horror games. Although now easier, the nostalgia is there, it looks great, it feels great to play and the gameplay itself is just fun. It's the type of RE that RE fans have been wanting again since 4. RE7 was good, but it was a new formula and still wasn't reminiscent of the old games.

Basically this is the type of RE that people have wanted for years because it's most like the originals. The disappointment in 5 and 6 showed that people actually like the puzzle/horror type stuff and the need to plan ahead.

Also that it just feels fresh in the current age of same old, same old; guns blazing and melt everything down.

I guess i prefer more action in my horror games upon further reflection considering how two of my favourite horror games are Dead Space 2 and Evil within 1/2. I did enjoy RE2 but not as much as I hoped to and was trying to analyze why. I guess its also cuz I listened to too many podcasts talking about the game from a nostalgic perspective(e.g. people asking if the crocodile moment was still in this led me to believe it would be something more than just a 30sec chase sequence) that sorta impacted my overall enjoyment of the game.

3 hours ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

Ive played all but re3 and code Veronica and while 7 was ok I much prefered the others the guy in 7 and the family just bored me I love Leon, Claire, Chris, Ada, Jill etc they was badass and cracked jokes and was great in the thick of battle or being hunted by creepy enemies they just had that flair 7 I felt like the guy was peeing and crapping himself constantly that's just meh. The dlc was decent though. 

But 2 remake I'm enjoying :) it's not quite a resident evil unless it requires a crank and back tracking :P

I loved the family and the different challenges they presented. Especially Lucas's section of the game

I have similar "problems" with 2

it looks fantastic and has some nice designs, but for me it is far behind re7. 7 was scary as hell sometimes, getting chased by daddy baker is so horrifying, there is nothing in re2 that made me feel the same tension. only laura in the first evil within was more terrifying

it's not the survival aspect, it's the game itself

I need to force myself to keep playing, maybe it will grow on me

it is really not bad, quite the opposite, but I expected so much more after 7.

RE2 back then was the best game in the whole series, and RE4 is the best game in the series with this new off the shoulder camera angle, this RE2 Remake have took this two games and mix em up together.

the original RE2 does have some stuff that didn't transferred to the remake and RE4 is still have some gameplay elements that unfortunately is no where to be found in RE2 remake but it was still a good remake, guess we can't have all the nice things.

Edited by yellowwindow7

On 3/16/2019 at 6:50 PM, yellowwindow7 said:

RE2 back then was the best game in the whole series, and RE4 is the best game in the series with this new off the shoulder camera angle, this RE2 Remake have took this two games and mix em up together.

the original RE2 does have some stuff that didn't transferred to the remake and RE4 is still have some gameplay elements that unfortunately is no where to be found in RE2 remake but it was still a good remake, guess we can't have all the nice things.

RE4 is maybe best for you and some portion of the fan base. Ultimately, looking on everything, Re 1 Remake and Code Veronica are best Resident Evil games and survival horror games, beside Silent Hill and Siren. Period. Then it comes Re2 original and whatever what is left.

Edited by Ptirle

7 minutes ago, SkyMason said:

Code Veronica!?!?! Wat? That game is awful. I'm a big fan of RE games but CVX is the worst in the series, second only to RE6. The backtracking, stupidass boss fights, and of course who can forget the iconic Steve Burnside. I cringe just thinking about it.

Wait, what? Because of these reasons game is awful? LOL!

Game released 20 years ago, when did you first played it? I see that u platinumed only re5 and re6. Blasphemous

Edited by Ptirle
  • Like 1

Just now, Ptirle said:

Wait, what? Because of these reasons game is awful? LOL!

Game released 20 years ago lol, when did you first played it? I see that u platinumed only re5 and re6. Blasphemous

I played it when it first came out - hated it then, and I hate it now. It's probably the worst of the classic RE games, and I'm definitely not alone in thinking that. The voice acting in that game is... something else.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2019 at 6:59 AM, SkyMason said:

I played it when it first came out - hated it then, and I hate it now. It's probably the worst of the classic RE games, and I'm definitely not alone in thinking that. The voice acting in that game is... something else.

Gun Survivor, Zero, Outbreak File #2, 5 and 6 are worse, I say. Code Veronica did take everything that's memorable about the series (at that point) to the nth extreme, that's for sure. Also, Alien: Isolation is soooooo much better than Siren.

• Like 2

Just now, BrianJeffery said:

Gun Survivor, Zero, Outbreak File #2, 5 and 6 are worse, I say. Code Veronica did take everything that's memorable about the series (at that point) to the nth extreme, that's for sure. Also, Alien: Isolation is soooooo much better than Siren.

I should clarify, by "classic" I mean the mainline games before 4, where the genre shifted. so RE0-3/CVX. RE6 is definitely worse than CVX, there's no debate there yeah, but for the old "survival horror" type of games this game was just all kinds of awful. It is not fun getting caught out by bosses that are guaranteed to hit you, or those bastard moth things. I have a million complaints about CVX, tbh, it's just poorly designed end to end.

• 2 weeks later...

Returning to OP's original post, i at first found it to be 'just okay compared to RE7 as well. But then once i started to aim toward unlocking the unlimited ammo guns and all the in game rewards, it got a hellava lot better. Suddenly it became really addictive perfecting each run and learning better how to master the mechanics of the game. Its during thiswhen you see just how well designed and tight the game design really is. Most RE games do the same thing to me, they give a really good and cool incentive to replaying the game and perfecting the run to just 3 hours (which always sounds insane after first time). Also the new system of having defence weapons to optionally prevent (most) grabs and damage is another ingenious addition, adding a fresh tactical layer to the game that i hope they continue on forward.

TLDR replay the game. Aim for all unlocks (unlimited minigun/RL). Guarenteed afterward, you will love RE2Remake

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2019 at 6:51 AM, SkyMason said:

Code Veronica!?!?! Wat? That game is awful. I'm a big fan of RE games but CVX is the worst in the series, second only to RE6. The backtracking, stupidass boss fights, and of course who can forget the iconic Steve Burnside. I cringe just thinking about it.

CV was great on a few levels, but some parts just turned me off years later after playing it on the Dreamcast. The part where you constantly get those bug things on your back that drained health when health was scarce. Steve was annoying as was his other self. The cross dressing freak was annoying af. But it had an incredible atmosphere, at least in the Dreamcast days. The remaster remains un-Platted because of that part where you have to go really far w/o saving and if you get crushed by that thing that crushes that sphere for the key, and have to survive Steve's 2nd form.

I thought RE7 was creepy, but still doesn't feel like RE. My most lasting memory from that is the nasty food! And the fact that i missed the first coin not knowing we couldn't return to that intro house. It was a truly disgusting game. Marguerite with the bugs by her poozy. EEEK!

The reason RE2 was/is so special is that it was an upgrade from the original, which remains my favorite game all-time. The first time we saw the giant alligator, it was mindblowing at the time. It had 2 discs, it had the 'Resident Evil......TWOOO' after you pressed start. It gave the A and B scenarios that added length to it. It was a different world then. At times this 2019 version didn't feel like the original at all. When we first got to the Police station and the music came on in the original, it was epic. The first time we saw Lickers as well. Then there was that cutscene when we were introduced to T-103. Him coming down the hall for us the first few times was insane. 

I'm glad the OP posted this. It makes sense. Not everyone will understand the appeal of this series. However, i have a niece who is an RE junkie! She 'got it' back in the day when she saw me and my nephew playing games like this for hours. She used to be timid, and played on 'easy.' This proud Uncle had to smile a few weeks ago when i saw her playing this on Standard. Although just my niece, i said  'Das mah girl!'

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 0:45 PM, BrianJeffery said:

Alien better than Siren series?? Come on man, get a grip. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Not only is the gameplay good but so is the story. It’s filled with several characters who are strong and likeable. It’s something a lot of us grew up with playing and have been attached to. When you add good gameplay with a rich and in-depth story you get this. That’s my best way to explain why others like the franchise.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2019 at 11:57 PM, abhinandhan22 said:

I guess i prefer more action in my horror games upon further reflection considering how two of my favourite horror games are Dead Space 2 and Evil within 1/2.

If that's the case then RE 4, 5, and 6 might be more your style.  6 especially went extremely heavy on the action, which is why the hardcore RE fanbase (for the most part) hates it.  6 is also a pretty extreme offender with backtracking though... although it's a different kind of backtracking.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19.3.2019 at 11:51 AM, SkyMason said:

My fave RE games are the classics + 4, but Code Veronica didn't fit with me. It's a underrated game as a whole, but in the RE fanbase (where I've been a member for a couple of years) I feel like it's overrated.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LCDR_McGarrett said:

My fave RE games are the classics + 4, but Code Veronica didn't fit with me. It's a underrated game as a whole, but in the RE fanbase (where I've been a member for a couple of years) I feel like it's overrated.

I completely understand why it has its fans, it has a weird tone and it tried something different with the formula - can't really complain there. It's just poorly designed and if you go into it completely blind there are way too many sections that reward trial & error instead of careful play, and while it's a big game it's full of so much backtracking, giving you little direction. I definitely agree that it's underrated as a game, but I don't get why RE fans in general love it so much - it lacks the polish of the PS1 trilogy and it has one of the most ridiculously dumb stories I think I've seen in a videogame, and apart from Claire/Chris the characters are so bad, and some of the voice acting rivals House of the Dead in terms of delivery.

Edited by SkyMason
  • Like 1