I don't get why RE2 is so great

abhinandhan22

Just finished Leon's B scenario on my Xbox One X, 4K 65" OLED TV and Holy SHEEEEIIIIIIIT it could be the very best-looking game this generation so far, and one of the best overall. I love the return to survival horror gameplay , with the limited resources and more complex puzzles. There are some things I think the original did better but overall if this doesn't bring the SH purists back after they turned their noses up since RE4 (my personal favourite) then there is nothing that will. Everybody should play this.

• Like 1

While I enjoyed Resident Evil 2... Mr. X is the most obnoxious thing I think I've seen in an otherwise great game.  Haven't bothered with the B playthrough yet because of that.  It definitely ramps up the tension as you try and explore/solve puzzles... but while he's not particularly difficult to avoid, it becomes more annoying than fun very quickly.

IMO, Resident Evil 7 VR is the pinnacle of horror in the series.  It's tense for all the right reasons.  And is a fine survival horror game in it's own right.

Edited by Dreakon13

• 1 month later...

RE2 is the best Resident evil game I have ever played. But I ended up doing six playthroughs which is to much. I know it can be done in four. The game as a survival horror game, does everything right, the scares, and the limited saves hardcore runs are intense. A lot of people love RE7, I agree to some extend, I loved everything about it in the first half in the Baker residence, but the later part on the ship is not nearly as good.

My favourite game of the last 2 or 3 years (other than maybe Tekken 7). I think I've gone through it 25 times now, and have platted it on multiple accounts - even a friends. It's just so easy to pick up and play through, and has yet to get old for me. RE4 still holds the crown for me (it's just so damn fun) but this game is definitely 3rd on my favourite RE games - after REmake 1 and RE4, and that's no easy feat as I've played through all these bastards.

• Like 1

I highly enjoyed the remake in the first week or so but after I took a step back I realized how disapointed I was with the story compared to the original and how poorly the scenarios were done in this remake. It's an excellent remake that nails the atmosphere, graphics and controls but does it improve on everything from the original? Not quite IMO and I haven't had any desire to return to the game since the first couple of weeks since it's release. It may seem like i'm being over critical but thats the way I feel about it.

I'd say the remake improves a lot of things, the shooting mechanics for example are much more fun. But then again, the standards have changed and it's difficult to compare the two - back in the day, the shooting mechanics in RE2 were adequate for the genre, just like the remake's mechanics are adequate today. In terms of pure gameplay, it's two different games. I think the atmosphere is much better due to the massive graphical improvement. It's actually scary at times, especially in the beginning. I was kinda worried that I'd get bored after a couple of playthroughs and the plat is going to be a chore but it was surprisingly fun. Maybe it's the nostalgia factor kicking in, remembering 'speedrunning' through the original and comparing my times with other people's. Fun fact, in my country people were taking photos of their results screen, developing them (because who had a digital camera back then?), and sending them to a magazine by mail (because who had an e-mail back then?) to have them printed. Good times.

Anyways, after 7 playthroughs and a plat, I hope every remake gets a similar treatment. It wasn't the best game I've ever played but it perfectly combined the vibe of the original with modern gameplay. The only things that were worse in the remake for me were the alligator moment (almost a QTE now...) and Mr. X, who even in the first playthrough quickly goes from being a bit scary to becoming an incredibly annoying nuisance. 

• 5 weeks later...

Resident Evil 7 was a bold departure from the series and exceeded majority of peoples expectations, but it didn't feel like a Resident Evil game. Resident Evil 2 is the best pure horror entry in the series, bullet sponge enemies make it beyond frustrating though. It's a fake survival horror - on normal you're gifted plenty of resources yet at the same time it can take several shots to the HEAD to kill a zombie. Had there been less resources and a balance to how many shots it took to kill a zombie based on player skill, it would have been arguably the best game in the series, or at least on par with RE4.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The main reason I am in two minds about whether I love REmake or not is because it's incredibly short. You can run through each scenario in an hour. And yes I know you can do that with some of the other resident evil games, but with those it's genuinely a perfected, planned run. With REmake you can just sit and play and be done with it before lunch. Everything else about the game is bloody fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/05/2019 at 2:43 PM, Dreakon13 said:

While I enjoyed Resident Evil 2... Mr. X is the most obnoxious thing I think I've seen in an otherwise great game.  Haven't bothered with the B playthrough yet because of that.  It definitely ramps up the tension as you try and explore/solve puzzles... but while he's not particularly difficult to avoid, it becomes more annoying than fun very quickly.

IMO, Resident Evil 7 VR is the pinnacle of horror in the series.  It's tense for all the right reasons.  And is a fine survival horror game in it's own right.

This. Whilst many people seemed to rave about how much atmosphere/tension he added, I found his constant presence irritating. I much preferred the way that you could do things at your own pace in the original.

A superb remake in every other way, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I understand the hype. Just played it for the first time and finished Claire's A scenario and it was the best Resident Evil experience in a very long time for me. The atmosphere was superb, fucking Mr. X scared the shit out of me, graphics are damn fine, controls are very good. Storywise it was good as well, a bit more empathy for the characters aswell as between them would have been nice. Played on normal difficulty and tried to use ammunition sparingly, in the end I had lots of bullets left. But overall still a very good experience and worth the hype. As comparison, I found Resident Evil 7 to be an okay game, better then the latest releases, but not a great game. But this one here is. It is a game for fans and well... it delivers. Hope Capcom continues to keep that level in their future releases of the series as we would get some very fine horror games again from them...

• 2 weeks later...

To me, Resident Evil's core appeal is the iterative progression, where your first run is frustrating, annoying even to a point where it feels like the game is broken. By the second playthrough things start to click into place, the knowledge of map layout, enemy behavior improves fluidity, permanent unlocks feel tangibly rewarding, and then you are just compelled to do a third, fourth, etc run just because it starts being really-really good.

The first playthrough in itself does this same model, as the heroes are bumbling around with a bullet or two, not sure exactly what they're into, but as they familiarize themselves with the place and enemies, as they gather more information and new equipment, their confidence shows up subtly in gameplay as well (parallel to narrative). The heroes become more desperate but at the same time more determined and snappy to react. It's always a joy to see that unfold.

Now, specifically Resident Evil 2 Remake is the first time that everything clicks into place really-really well. Trimmed of the excess, it's a lean and possibly the best iteration of the formula, somewhere between Revelations 2 and RE4 and RE7, I think they finally distilled the essence of RE from these great episodes to find what works and not do anything else. They got it absolutely right, to the point that I was doing playthroughs just for the hell of it, and if they'd publish a new stack version, I'd buy it without blinking, and platinum that too.

Edited by fbdbh

• 5 months later...

Lol funny how I enjoyed this game a hell a lot more after Re3. Re3 was extremely underwhelming to me and after being burned out by Re2 last year and making this thread I returned this past week to do my final hardcore playthrough+dlc to 100% the game and I found it a lot more enjoyable. Don't know what changed but Re3 being so lacklustre definitely had a part to play. 

• 3 months later...

I don't necessarily agree with you...but I think there are reasons why. This is also good natured...so it's not a "my opinion is right and yours is wrong" kind of a thing. So don't take it that way.

I was around when the first Resident Evil games came out. Honestly, I really loved their stories, atmosphere and concept, but I could not stand "fixed camera" position. Keep in mind...games were in the process of really evolving into prototypes of what they are today. I was 18 at the time the very first game came out. I'm old in gamer terms...but don't let that fool you...one of my most recent Platinum trophies was for Wolfenstein 2. If you arent familiar with that game...it has a trophy called "Mein Leben" that many consider one of the hardest trophies to get in gaming. I got that trophy on the 8th of this month after a weeks worth of practice...so my skills and perception of the industry are still right on point. 

I didn't like the fixed camera decision at the time...mostly because in my perspective at that age...games had really pushed past that and I was exited to see where everything was going to go. So I thought the original game was kind of lazy at first glance from a mechanics point of view. Bare in mind, I saw the whole industry rise up. The first console I had was called the Intellivision. Then I had the Atari and then...Nintendo happened and saved the anemic console industry from complete destruction. 

Fast forward to Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube. This was it. Resident Evil 4 changed the face of gaming. It had all the elements of current gen systems as far as control and action...but on the hard difficulty..which I played right off the bat...it also had scarcity of ammo like the original series. It was a brilliant mix of the two worlds from the old series...to stepping into the current sphere...but doing it all better than anybody had done it before. Way more my speed. The change was catastrophic from the original trilogy...and I loved every second of it much more than the predecessors.  

I have the main game Platinums for RE2, RE3, RE5, RE6 and RE7 currently and am going to revisit their DLC's to 100 percent them. Time permitting.

Resident Evil 2 remake obviously came out after Resident Evil 7. The Resident Evil 2 Remake was a restatement of...and a call back to..the beginning of the transition from "fixed camera" to " 3rd person Action survival Horror." As it turns out...and the answer to your question...is that people like myself were so happy to finally have the early trilogy translated into RE4 terms..that we were all hungry to play the old installments in 3rd Person...and to have it be as fulfilling as the original experience. Our perspectives (meaning the people from my era) had reason to be pumped about games that we really, really, REALLY wanted to get into...but were slightly distanced from concerning "fixed camera". Dont get me wrong...there are DIE HARDS out there who love the original fixed person...and still play it to this day. They are also not wrong.

Fast forward to RE7. This is where your experience and my experience start to make a whole lot of sense together. RE7 is yet another CATASTROPHIC change in the series. 1,2 and 3 were fixed camera. 4, 5 and 6 were 3rd person "over the shoulder". 7.....7 is two separate firsts. 7 is the first full title to be built from the "first person" POV....but it was also designed to be entirely immersive. The game was built for the prototype of "VR". Right there...difference and age be damned...the change that you see now and the change that I saw between RE3 and RE4 are catastrophic...and yet...nearly exactly the same in terms of contrast.

So...my personal favorite in the series is RE4...but my second...very, very, very close second is actually RE7...followed very closely by the RE2 remake. RE7 took immersion to the next level. I didn't play it on VR....but that didn't matter. FPS made all the difference in the world...and you my friend are absolutely not wrong in your opinion of why the remake of RE2 doesn't quite fire on all cylinders for you. It's the same way I felt about RE4 vs. "The original Trilogy". Hope this helps you to understand that you aren't a lonely island...from an original console nerd like me. :)

Edited by Shua_J
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'll never understand topics like this, you either like something or you don't, some games, movies, books etc.. will appeal more to some people than others for a myriad of reasons, there isn't a specific reason as to why because it can be personal, but something being good to you or bad is pure personal opinion.

Edited by Sunnyburrito

The main reason is: Claire.

No but seriously, for me at least, it was very reminiscent of what Resident Evil was before 5 and 6 ruined it (again, personal opinion). Resident Evil 7 was a game I thoroughly enjoyed, character wise the family was incredibly creepy, especially Marguerite. The remake of Resident Evil 2 is my favorite resident evil game though, followed closely by 4 and the remake of 1 because it really feels like what survival horror used to be: low ammo, claustrophobic environments, the backtracking (which honestly could be worse compared to the remake of 1) to complete a section further ahead, and Mr. X added a whole new dynamic the first time I played it because I was unsure of where to go on my blind playthrough. It has that trial and error feel where spending all your shotgun ammo and gunpowders making handgun ammo can ruin your run and if you didn't make multiple saves, have fun restarting.

I think it's considered that mainly because for people new to Survival Horror, it's a great introduction to genre and for fans of it, like me, it's something I hadn't seen being done well for years, at least on mainstream games!

Edited by NoirUndead

I do much prefer the older concept of the Resident Evil titles, I am not much for the later half of the series being an action game and the characters of 7 and 8, especially our protagonist are highly forgettable... I prefer my metroidvania style cooridors and backtracking for puzzles with characters that have goals, not just playing an uninteresting pawn piece.. It is what Resident Evil is to me at its core. I can see the appeal of the newer games in the franchise, as I do like them as they are but they could've even been given a different title and really nothing changes...

I do not want to walk a straight path to victory on my first play through I want to be lost and confused and concerned about my ammunition, then speedrun every other play through after.

Edited by Gecko-Byte
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

This game is one of the most overrated games I've ever play, is just a copy of the amazing Resident Evil 1 Remake , but a bad copy, is truly unbelievable how much they copy the first one and also cut enemies.

I give a 6 out of 10.

Edited by KillerGV