abhinandhan22

I don't get why RE2 is so great

34 posts in this topic

It was such a great game, its what resident evil should always be

Not that I had any issues with 7,

But I deeply stare evilly at you Resident evil 5 and 6

Just finished Leon's B scenario on my Xbox One X, 4K 65" OLED TV and Holy SHEEEEIIIIIIIT it could be the very best-looking game this generation so far, and one of the best overall. I love the return to survival horror gameplay , with the limited resources and more complex puzzles. There are some things I think the original did better but overall if this doesn't bring the SH purists back after they turned their noses up since RE4 (my personal favourite) then there is nothing that will. Everybody should play this.

Played the demo for.... 2 mins TOPS and noped out.  It's a great horror game, I highly recommend it.

Posted (edited)

While I enjoyed Resident Evil 2... Mr. X is the most obnoxious thing I think I've seen in an otherwise great game.  Haven't bothered with the B playthrough yet because of that.  It definitely ramps up the tension as you try and explore/solve puzzles... but while he's not particularly difficult to avoid, it becomes more annoying than fun very quickly.

IMO, Resident Evil 7 VR is the pinnacle of horror in the series.  It's tense for all the right reasons.  And is a fine survival horror game in it's own right.

Edited by Dreakon13

RE2 is the best Resident evil game I have ever played. But I ended up doing six playthroughs which is to much. I know it can be done in four. The game as a survival horror game, does everything right, the scares, and the limited saves hardcore runs are intense. A lot of people love RE7, I agree to some extend, I loved everything about it in the first half in the Baker residence, but the later part on the ship is not nearly as good.

My favourite game of the last 2 or 3 years (other than maybe Tekken 7). I think I've gone through it 25 times now, and have platted it on multiple accounts - even a friends. It's just so easy to pick up and play through, and has yet to get old for me. RE4 still holds the crown for me (it's just so damn fun) but this game is definitely 3rd on my favourite RE games - after REmake 1 and RE4, and that's no easy feat as I've played through all these bastards.

I highly enjoyed the remake in the first week or so but after I took a step back I realized how disapointed I was with the story compared to the original and how poorly the scenarios were done in this remake. It's an excellent remake that nails the atmosphere, graphics and controls but does it improve on everything from the original? Not quite IMO and I haven't had any desire to return to the game since the first couple of weeks since it's release. It may seem like i'm being over critical but thats the way I feel about it.

I'd say the remake improves a lot of things, the shooting mechanics for example are much more fun. But then again, the standards have changed and it's difficult to compare the two - back in the day, the shooting mechanics in RE2 were adequate for the genre, just like the remake's mechanics are adequate today. In terms of pure gameplay, it's two different games. I think the atmosphere is much better due to the massive graphical improvement. It's actually scary at times, especially in the beginning. I was kinda worried that I'd get bored after a couple of playthroughs and the plat is going to be a chore but it was surprisingly fun. Maybe it's the nostalgia factor kicking in, remembering 'speedrunning' through the original and comparing my times with other people's. Fun fact, in my country people were taking photos of their results screen, developing them (because who had a digital camera back then?), and sending them to a magazine by mail (because who had an e-mail back then?) to have them printed. Good times.

Anyways, after 7 playthroughs and a plat, I hope every remake gets a similar treatment. It wasn't the best game I've ever played but it perfectly combined the vibe of the original with modern gameplay. The only things that were worse in the remake for me were the alligator moment (almost a QTE now...) and Mr. X, who even in the first playthrough quickly goes from being a bit scary to becoming an incredibly annoying nuisance. 

Resident Evil 7 was a bold departure from the series and exceeded majority of peoples expectations, but it didn't feel like a Resident Evil game. Resident Evil 2 is the best pure horror entry in the series, bullet sponge enemies make it beyond frustrating though. It's a fake survival horror - on normal you're gifted plenty of resources yet at the same time it can take several shots to the HEAD to kill a zombie. Had there been less resources and a balance to how many shots it took to kill a zombie based on player skill, it would have been arguably the best game in the series, or at least on par with RE4.