Share Play Sessions causing problems

So, I've noticed this a lot recently and have asked various people I know how they feel about it and I would like to know what the community thinks/feels about it.

There has been an awful lot of people making gaming sessions, either asking/requesting that people do certain trophies for them via Shareplay. From what I've seen most requested ones I've seen are:-

• Hardcore S ranks for Resident Evil 2.

• Best of the best in MWR for beating the time.

• The challenge trophy for the Witness

• ....Becomes the Master trophy in Titanfall 2.

(I've seen some proper mental requests as well, like can someone do the Mein Leiben trophy on Wolfenstein II which I had a chuckle at I'll admit).

In some case it seems people are offering repayment for this, sometimes as something they can do in turn for the recipient, some offering monetary value for the task, sometimes nothing.

Now I know how I feel about it but shall refrain from giving opinion in case someone uses it as a jumping point, but how does the community feel about this topic? Regardless of your opinion, keep discussion civil and don't resort to name calling. If anything, hopefully this stops full blown arguments breaking out in session message boards...

So, opinions?

I do envy the internet connection of this people. I usually can't even properly show my friends how something is done, because the input lag is too much to handle.

In my opinion people can do whatever they want as long as it doesn't involve the hacking. If someone wants to go around telling everyone how he completed mein leben, while he didn't actually did it himself, well, let him live with that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

Mixed feelings.  Better this than having them pay hackers to CFW it in.

Absolutely, this would be an awful option to follow.

10 minutes ago, VigilantCrow said:

Honestly I think it's ridiculous to get someone else to attain trophies for them. Play the game and put the time and energy into getting better. 

It devalues the accomplishments for those who can complete it.

This seems to be, let's say, the first side of the argument. People saying that, it's a form of cheating, there's no point in asking for it etc. I've seen people fully admit to not having the skill to meet the requirement needed, which is totally fine, but they seem to think even though they can't do it they should still have a trophy for it and this is what is really winding some people up.

6 minutes ago, Akrioz said:

In my opinion people can do whatever they want as long as it doesn't involve the hacking. If someone wants to go around telling everyone how he completed mein leben, while he didn't actually did it himself, well, let him live with that.

If someone actually managed to successfully do Mein Leiben this way, with the input lag and only an hour at a time session, then that person needs a statue built of them in the name of patience lol I haven't attempted it myself but I intend to at some point and the challenge seems immense already without adding these handicaps lol

6 minutes ago, TOAST13TOA5T said:

Absolutely, this would be an awful option to follow.

This seems to be, let's say, the first side of the argument. People saying that, it's a form of cheating, there's no point in asking for it etc. I've seen people fully admit to not having the skill to meet the requirement needed, which is totally fine, but they seem to think even though they can't do it they should still have a trophy for it and this is what is really winding some people up.

I haven't been on the site very long but my understanding when joining up was stat tracking and trophy rarity. Encouraging any sort of gamesharing devalues trophies and as a result skewers the stats. It goes against the entire purpose of the site.

People can get as upset as they'd like but at the end of the day nobody is entitled to any trophy. You're supposed to earn them yourself (or in a team if relevant). I don't see how encouraging laziness is going to enrich the site.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, henriwallyn said:

I Personally think it's a good thing they included share play with ps4 games because not all players are good at every game and it can be frustrating missing that last trophy for the platinum.

Thid is the other side of the argument that gets spoke about, how its a function put in place by Sony, it's not just for couch co-op stuff like Resogun DLC that needs it, but a lot of people are viewing it as cheap and that if you can't gain the trophy yourself, you shouldn't have it like you did the task.

I just find it an interesting argument as it has many sides, even in the it shouldn't be done for tough trophies as you didn't make the hurdle yourself, but if it's something daft and easy then so be it, we have all been hindered by that stupid easy trophy that has us thinking why am I having such a tough time of this it's not even hard?! Then at the same time you have people who think if you can't even get the simple trophies done, you shouldn't be doing this at all because it is considered so simple, see what I mean?

11 minutes ago, I need more BIOSHOCK said:

Personally I see no point in it. 

Once you got the trophy after someone else doing it for you there is no reward at all, its just a hollow victory imo.

This is one of the views I have on it, I still remember the day I finished Rogue Legacy, not my rarest Plat but still a solid UR Plat (and my first UR plat). I never considered that I would get it as the wall seemed too tall for me to climb, but I started getting better at it, I still thought I'll never do the 15 deaths or less trophy, no way. I did it on the 8th death in 1 attempt, it took months of playing the game as a whole and when I achieved it, I almost threw my Vita I jumped so high out my chair when I landed the final blow.

Now I know it's just a trophy but it's something I considered impossible and I overcame it, I honestly can't imagine having anywhere near the joy I experienced getting someone to accomplish it for me, out of my whole time doing this as a hobbyI still remember that moment like it happened 10 mins ago, I don't get why someone would rob themselves of that feeling of overcoming such a massive hurdle. 

Edited by TOAST13TOA5T

Asking for someone else to get a trophy for you would result in the same feeling as hacking the trophy. It's utterly ridiculous why anyone would want someone to do this for them. Maybe these people have low self-esteem and feel better about themselves in a false way for some reason if someone else does something for them on their profile. It baffles me why anyone would shame themselves this way.

I don't agree with it when it comes to strangers, when it comes to trophies the point is to earn them. Anyone can get someone else to do them, it doesn't show skill or determination but more you can't be asked to even try.

The only time I've share played is with my partner, I'm handing him the controller as you would with a friend before you could over the Internet. To me a friend helping you out and offering is different then asking a stranger online to do it. 

15 minutes ago, KaKrackle said:

If you cant get the trophy yourself, then you don’t deserve to have it. Simple as that. I cant believe this is even up for debate 1f601.png

But as you saw in the session mate, it very much turned into a debate/argument. If there's at least 2 sides of opinion then it can become a debate. Many follow your way of thinking so far, pretty much myself included, but there are others who don't and I just like seeing a well put opinion for both sides. Like the above great point from @VigilantCrow, I only ever looked at it as you shouldn't have the reward for something you can't do, never the point of view that it devalues the accomplishment for people who struggled themselves to get it.

Edited by TOAST13TOA5T

8 minutes ago, TOAST13TOA5T said:

But as you saw in the session mate, it very much turned into a debate/argument. If there's at least 2 sides of opinion then it can become a debate. Many follow your way of thinking so far, pretty much myself included, but there are others who don't and I just like seeing a well put opinion for both sides. Like the above great point from @VigilantCrow, I only ever looked at it as you shouldn't have the reward for something you can't do, never the point of view that it devalues the accomplishment for people who struggled themselves to get it.

Yeah but the main argument in that session was that if this site allows to create shareplay sessions, then the person asking for help is not at fault. 

I agree with @KaKrackle's point of view, especially when it comes to this site. Most gamers out there don't care about trophies and don't value them. But here, we are all interested in trophies some way or another. We have leaderboards, we have discussions, we share tips and display our accomplishments. A trophy on your profile should reflect the time and effort you put into it. Personally, I think shareplay should not be encouraged. 

Edited by Arcesus7
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Arcesus7 said:

Yeah but the main argument in that session was that if this site allows to create shareplay sessions, then the person asking for help is not at fault. 

I agree with @KaKrackle's point of view, especially when it comes to this site. Most gamers out there don't care about trophies and don't value them. But here, we are all interested in trophies some way or another. We have leaderboards, we have discussions, we share tips and display our accomplishments. A trophy on your profile should reflect the time and effort you put into it. Personally, I think shareplay should not be encouraged. 

I agree with this. Share play for someone doing something for another should not be allowed, and share play sessions if available should only be for couch co op purposes. It's very simple to be honest.

Im glad that the majority of people in this thread seem to agree with me. For a second I felt like I stepped into the twilight zone whilst reading some of the comments in the session.

I guess the people in that thread that were disagreeing with my point of view, are the exact same people that are happy to let people do trophies for them.

I used to care when this feature came out, now, I don't. The simple reason is trophy hunting for me is all about the journey.

I enjoy the experience, the challenge, improving my skills and achieving what I sometimes felt was impossible. Attaining 100% is great to see but ultimately just closure.

If someone wants to get someone else to do this for them and deprive themselves of this challenge then that's up to them, it doesn't affect me.

• Like 2

I mean, Share-Play sessions shouldn't be against the rules but I definitely think there have been a lot of low-effort shareplay requests recently. 

I feel like many of these people should simply be asking for advice on how to beat a section in a forum post rather than just asking strangers for a carry. 

• Like 1

I mean they're virtual trophies that are inherently worthless to begin with unless you live somewhere were Sony rewards is (is that still a thing idk). Honestly I got my 14.7 following a guide but I really don't care how anyone achieves trophies. Like I really do not care it's a hobby or at least it should be.  I'm not getting upset if my wording seems this way I hate text in that way that you cannot convey emotions. But in reality I focus on myself and my 3 friends that hunt. 

You're really missing out on the best part if you have someone Share Play a trophy for you that's giving you trouble.  Having the trophy is nice, but the best part is seeing the trophy pop up after you've finally beaten whatever it was that was kicking your ass.  It's like 1000x better than just having the trophy.

Overall, I don't care for Share Play as a feature.  It cheapens the experience for those that use it, and for those that don't, there's no way of really telling whether someone's been getting people to do things this way for them or not in a lot of cases.  It makes it more difficult to look at someone's profile and see it as their own.  Even if it really is.

• Like 1