Your ranking means nothing

AJ_Radio

Yes, your ranking means nothing. Because platinum trophy which 99% of people got is worth 12x more than bronze trophy with 0.1% rarity, so it doesn't show the true work put into trophy hunting.

I don't want to praise competitive websites here, but PSN Trophy Leaders have much better variety of rankings, especially the Rare Trophy Leaderboard which ignores trophy type and only counts rarity (you also get no points from trophies more common than 50%). You've also got AStats with Steam achievements that only counts rarity of trophies + add a 25% bonus for completed games, and also fights with shovelware games with a lot of trophies and decreases the amount of points you get from them. These types of leaderboards means much more to me (and should to every true trophy/achievement hunter)

Edited by sashamence
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rakinho993 said:

I am not ranking up or playing because other people are better or anything else. I play games, it is fun and I love it. I do it all for myself. For my good feeling, stress relieving and else. This kind of negativity has no place among this great community who shares great passion and love for something simillar they dedicate well appreciated time of their day to do.

I ve met so many good people from different countries,part os th world, talked with them about life standard, struggles and everything, their perspect of view....this is what matters the most and should be most important socializing and enjoying while playing together.

The only negativity here are people telling OP his post has no place here. He stated an opinion (that plenty of others agree with mind you) and asked for orhers' input.  Maybe someone's reason for liking the leaderboard will re-inspire him.  The leaderboard could definitely use improvement, but that's a whole other discussion and I dont think anyone would really want to do the work required for that

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sashamence said:

PSN Trophy Leaders have much better variety of rankings, especially the Rare Trophy Leaderboard which ignores trophy type and only counts rarity

Can you not manipulate your rarity to by only playing DLCs?

DLC trophies tend to have higher rarity without necessarily being harder since most people don't buy DLC.

9 hours ago, FilmFanatic said:

Let’s just get rid of the leaderboards entirely then since they are so pointless. At least then I won’t have to waste time reporting cheaters.

Do I care about my ranking? Somewhat. I want to move up in the ranks but without playing trophy whoring games I won’t so I’m happy where I am.

I once suggested this, and the response was near unanimously and aggressively negative. I think Sly even popped out of whatever hole he was in to lock the thread personally, or make it disappear completely, can't remember which. Then I realized it's the leaderboard, out of everything else on this site, that's responsible for making Sly his money and everything made sense. That was a fun day.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, STARLOVE said:

Why do you always make these negative, controversial threads though? I don't care about leaderboards. But I noticed that you sure make a lot of these.

I've noticed most of the time, his replies to stuff are either more negative, or don't really pertain much to the topic in question.

But on topic here, I do in a sense, agree.  Only because I'm not one for rankings or leaderboards.  So it doesn't really apply to me.  Sure I'll look at my country rank at the odd time (I think I around 25 or so, that range), and it is neat, but in the end, doesn't really bother me.

But hey, for those that do care, good on you, keep at it and all that ;)

• Like 3

I think "meaning" is a value that is assigned by the individual, not by someone else. The rankings may be meaningless to someone, but meaningful to another. You can't assign the "meaningfulness" to someone else because it's something based on each individual's idiosyncrasies.

Though, Spaz really should have ended it by saying. This doesn't mean that I think gaming is pointless or life is pointless as long as you can find satsifaction in it. I think some are doing apple to oranges comparisons. He never once said that life has no meaning and everything is a means to an end. Just that rankings on this site hold no meaning to him, and it's pointless for him  to climb which is why he opened it up to a question on your thoughts instead of saying that this is the way it is.

In the end, I control my own life, and ultimately, I decide what brings value into my life and what has meaning. Just because the OP says it's pointless, doesn't mean you have to agree with him or think the same.

That's my 2 cents at least.

• Like 1

Just as Crispy_Oglop has said, your ranking is whatever you make of it.

I think it's cool to watch my rank move up a bit after getting some trophies, but it doesn't bother me that I'm not even near the global top 10000. If I get there someday, good. But anyway, for me it's just for fun. While I congratulate those who have made it way up there on the leaderboard, I'm satisfied with being at around 197K/602K for now.

11 minutes ago, Folgers101 said:

I got a job out of my ranking.. and the guy in first hakoom I believe his name is has Guinness world records as well as money I'm going to assume from all of this leader board stuff 

Consider the amount of money he's spent to get there, and there's a chance your second point may be moot

So my opinion is somehow of a nihilistic nature. Nothing means anything, life is totally pointless and in my mind the most important thing in life is to try to be happy and make the best out of everything. If someone has fun by playing easy stuff than why not? let him do this. One should always focus on himself and that's something a lot of people seem to bother with.Self reflection...

I for myself NEVER mess with anyone. Ranking systems are, as you already said, absolutely pointless. I'm totally with you here. It only says, that someone played a lot and so on. 

My personal rank has no meaning to me. I for myself like a nice completion rate, but not for me. I do not care about others and compare it with someone. 

I'm 38, play video games since 1987 and it's one of the most beautiful hobbies in life in my mind. I like to play and plat hard games, but due to family and job it's not always possible to just focus on ultra rares. So i decide to mix hard challenges up with easy stuff once in a while. Furthermore I'm playing coop with my wife and enjoy a lot of games, that aren't hard at all but they are fun as hell. 

Collecting trophies is an awesome hobby, but it can be a drag once in a while, and we so often play shit to increase the level. Everybody has to figure out whether it's worth or not. But i think no one should judge someone by the way they spend their time and money.

In the end it's just a hobby and it should never be a competition. I never care about others. Hedonism, that's the credo ^^ Life and let die.

Cheers, Nate

7 hours ago, Aponac1987 said:

I just enjoy playing good games, completing trophy lists and pushing myself to the limit and beyond. The higher rank is just a positive side effect of that. However, there is no point in bashing people for having fun leveling their rank. If that makes someone feel better after having a really rough time: let them. Games are - in the end - there to be enjoyed, after all.

? Who bashed anyone in this thread? Why did you even quote me? I simply said that I don't care about the ranking and never did. The amount of platinums and games on a profile however is something I find interesting.