Your ranking means nothing

AJ_Radio

1 minute ago, Gommes_ said:

? Who bashed anyone in this thread? Why did you even quote me? I simply said that I don't care about the ranking and never did. The amount of platinums and games on a profile however is something I find interesting.

I was talking about OP. I'm actually agreeing with what you said, if that was not clear enough.

• Like 1

I personally don't focus on the rankings or anything like that, but I do like seeing those trophies pop in the corner. I usually just play a game once through without trophy hunting, but will go back and look through them once I beat the game for the first time to gauge it. I don't have too many games, but I enjoy them and the trophies are a nice little way to get more out of the ones I have. I don't aim for plats, but if it's a game I really love and they don't require DLC or online play, then it's fun to try.

Though it doesn't mean much to me, it does to others, so it's a personal preference and goal for some. For example, I'm doing Heavy Rain right now, and am having a really fun time going for the platinum, as it really fleshes the game out and lets me see all there is it has to offer. But then I have games like Red Dead Redemption (the first one) and GTAV; I pretty much did all of the offline trophies, but can't get the online ones, so I'm stuck at like 50-55% for those. I think I only have like 6 plats (lol) but I love all 6 of those games.

Anyway, yeah, rankings don't matter much to me, but it's good seeing it green. I don't use this site for that feature, but as a nice way to see my game and trophy collection. If others have the time and ability to raise through the ranks and enjoy it, then that's fortunate for them, and that's obviously how they invest in their games and have fun. ^^ If you don't like the leaderboards/ranking, just ignore it. That's what's nice about gaming; many different ways to enjoy it for many different kinds of players.

• Like 1

You like to talk a lot of puffed-up shit and this is just another trivial thread of yours.

Still, you're right. But that's what the rarity lb is for. As you know, btw.

12 hours ago, Spaz said:

I am considering quitting when I’m around 10,000 - 12,000 trophies

Please don't let that be an empty promise.

• Like 3

It is stupid to say people who have a hobby what they waste the time. Trophy hunting is just a hobby. Same hobby as collecting post stamps or coins. I admit what people like you who collect everything including common trash feel themself unhappy but those who got some rare things are very proud

I stopped caring about the leaderboards when I realized that trophy selling is fine with the leaderboard rules. So technically the leaderboard isn't meaningless it's just not hard to get on top when you have money. Any millionaire could get on the first place within a month without violating the leaderboard rules.

I mean, you don't need skill for skipping hundreds of visual novels. You just need time and money. Literally anyone could be number 1.

Make sure trophy hunting is a passion and no addiction!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, BigBossImBeamer said:

I stopped caring about the leaderboards when I realized that trophy selling is fine with the leaderboard rules. So technically the leaderboard isn't meaningless it's just not hard to get on top when you have money. Any millionaire could get on the first place within a month without violating the leaderboard rules.

I mean, you don't need skill for skipping hundreds of visual novels. You just need time and money. Literally anyone could be number 1.

Make sure trophy hunting is a passion and no addiction!

Totally agree with you about this point.

• Like 1

Which aspect of trophy hunting "means something"? It's a way to have fun and enjoy games. It's a hobby.

Every time you feel obliged to argue about which part of trophy hunting "matters", "means something" or is "important", just imagine people having the same argument about model trains to help yourself understand how ridiculous it sounds.

• Like 2

As much as I am loathe to admit it, my ranking on the leaderboard matters to me.  While I care nothing for reaching the top (an impossible feat since I would be aiming to do it on my own and I lack the talent to plat the more difficult games), I would like to reach the top 10 percent of the standings.  It would be nice to be ranked that high, but it isn't something I think I'll achieve anytime soon. On the other hand, I have earned a lot of trophies. 

On July 20, 2017 I had 31 trophies total, none of which were plats.  Then I picked up Tales of Berseria and started playing.  During the course of playing that game I discovered this site and became interested in trophy hunting.  I now currently currently have 1,005 trophies as of the writing of this post.  Eighteen of those trophies are plats.  To be quite honest, I feel proud of that achievement.  In few months shy of two years, I have earned 974 trophies.  It's been fun.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LordBilbanes said:

As much as I am loathe to admit it, my ranking on the leaderboard matters to me.  While I care nothing for reaching the top (an impossible feat since I would be aiming to do it on my own and I lack the talent to plat the more difficult games),...

There is no real gaming talent involved in trophy hunting, just dedication, patience and organization, either for doing hundreads of Visual Novels or ultra rare trophies; trophies are just a hobby. And to avoid a misunderstading there is no need to go for "hard" games to reach the top ?, just spam easy games and stacks.

• Like 3

OP: I see you post on here a lot and honestly; you come across as though you need people to agree with your views/thoughts so that YOU can feel OK about them. I think that you should stop worrying about what other people do with their free time and spend yours more productively. I swear I can almost feel the turmoil in your head through your posts. It's like watching somebody arguing with themselves but then asking for everyone else's thoughts on that argument. 

As for the leader boards. Personally, I couldn't care less. I have too many outside of gaming commitments and I'm not that good at games, so I have very little chance in getting up there. So to me my rank means absolutely nothing. However, to those up there I'm sure it means a fair bit, and so it should! I admire their dedication. People throw around the "Shovelwear"... "Money buys the leader board" arguments a bunch, but in reality we all have and could get access to the same games so it's seems fair enough to me.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, KaiserVendrix said:

I love it when people make threads about pointing out the obvious, have you honestly just realised this right now? If you really want to be negative about something why don’t you just say everything is pointless because we all will die in the end? That way you cover everything and pointless threads can stop. 

A lot of us here care about how we play our games and believe it or not some of us care about what ranking we are. Why try shit on something that gives people joy? Honestly. 

I will say this again.

This is purely my opinion. I will never force anybody to read my topics, posts or anything that I write.

If I said everything here is fact and everybody must follow what I say, then obviously I would be run out of these forums very quickly. I will never say that to anybody.

I'm tired of people who have the mentality that somebody shouldn't make an opinion unless it agrees with them. That is complete bullshit. Especially people like myself who make a lot of unpopular opinions regarding something that is in reality trivial. I enjoy trophy hunting and so do you. But I just don't think rankings really mean all that much in the end, because they are quite simply a measure of how much someone plays and how many games they've completed.

Yes, I do care. But we shouldn't be playing purely for the numbers game, or to try to entirely inflate our trophy count by playing games that we otherwise would never touch just to reach a milestone.

I don't mind easy games, I don't mind others playing easy games. I myself have played plenty of easy games after I played through a game that challenged me a bit. That's perfectly fine.

I have talked to a number of people who aren't ranked on the leaderboards because they got flagged in a game or two. They don't even matter to them, yet they still enjoy getting trophies and platinums.

There's a difference between enjoying the games you play and earning those platinums versus forcing yourself to focus on a ranking system that ultimately means very little. The latter isn't what I consider to be a healthy way of playing, and I played for rankings in the past on two MMOs I used to play. It got so bad that I had to quit, and I was no longer enjoying the games.

The only portion of the leaderboards that have any sort of value for me are the Fastest Achievers list. I can at least admire those who speedrun through some games as they take skill and determination. But for most of us we should just be enjoying the games as they are and not worry about the general ranking system. That is my opinion.

You can take it or leave it.

• Like 4