Your ranking means nothing

AJ_Radio

This thread is only 2 days old... and it's been an enjoyable read. 

I think everyone has their own goals. I wouldn't go as far as saying your rank means nothing. It's up to each individual player to find the meaning behind their trophy hunting... it's not up to others. What one's trophies mean to oneself is important - what one's trophies mean to other people is not. We have goals - in their case, it is to build an impressively large collection of trophies. When we reach a goal we feel an achievement... as a Level 17 with quite a small collection by this site's standards, I can't speculate too much, but my guess is hitting Level 30 feels like a milestone reached and feels achieved. This style doesn't work for you... it's ok, it doesn't work for me either.

Edited by Midnightwards666

Well, sure.

it means about as much as you make of it I suppose.

I will say this though - your ranking means about as much as this opinion does...

...but most folks don’t go making threads with inflammatory titles to showcase their ranking...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nyonmyan said:

And he's ashamed of it.

I think it's like

100-200 you're a p cool dude, keep it up my man

500 wow, slow it down, spend more time with your mom/girlfriend/girlfriend's mom

1000 wtf pls stop

Oh, is that how it is? Damn. I guess I should stop and slow down and spend more time with my family, go to the job I'm employed to go to and also go to classes at university I'm paying for. Thanks man, this changed my whole perspective.

Lol, maybe next time remember people have been doing this likely a longer time than most. For me, I have been in this game going on 10 years.

• Like 2

I've never really been bothered about my rank and where I am at on the leaderboards at all.

Until I joined PSNP I had no idea it was even a thing.  My PSN account is over 10 years old and I've played alot of games over the years that have built it up. 

I do enjoy a good few easy slutty platinums in between a big 100-200 hour game.  I just love to see a shit tonne of trophies rain down sometimes and hearing that wonderful DING sound has been an addiction for quite some time that will never end now lol.  They do boost the ranking up very nicely but I honestly couldn't care less where I am.  The main thing for me is that I enjoy my time spent gaming.  Fair play to those that are way up there at the top and if you love what you do crack on! 

Personally for me it would feel a chore that I would constantly need to be starting new games that I hated in order to maintain my position and would completely take away all the fun in gaming for me.  Each to their own though and if it makes you feel good DO IT!

• Like 1

It's funny how the tiers of anal OCD manifest when it comes from niche hobbies. 

Take game collecting.

Steam users think it's nuts to overpay for a disc

Disc collectors think it's nuts to overpay for CIB copy

CIB collectors think it's nuts to overpay for a sealed copy

sealed collectors think it's nuts to overpay for a gem mint copy

gem mint collectors think it's nuts to overpay for a graded game

graded collectors think it's nuts to overpay for the highest graded copy

On and on and on. 

Now we have Trophies. It was all fun and games when everyone started on the same level, but the moment easy games come out, now it's all about just counting how hard the games are.

Once someone else has more time to play, now the leader board doesn't matter. Stacks are suspect, international games shouldn't count, auto pop's are BS. So many niche caveats in an already niche subject.

Play what you want, earn what you want. Just be honest with yourself about why you feel that way. Many people HATE trophies in general because they are a permanent part of their profile and serves as a constant reminder of what they haven't done. Don't let that kinda envy spill over into your own enjoyment of trophies and games. 

Candidly, my only genuine gripe with trophies are ppl who pay or ask others to earn them for them. I don't understand why you would show off something you didn't accomplish. I'm not talking about using a turbo controller or anything like that, that is still your creativity at work. I'm talking about literally having other people earn what you're taking credit for. I think that reveals a whole new level of insecurity and probably isn't healthy. 

Edited by Startyde
  • Like 2

I'm new here and to Playstation in general, but I'll add my two cents.

The title of the thread should have been 'My ranking means nothing to me'. That is clearly the way you feel and that's perfectly valid.

Other people here will feel differently, after all this is a site about trophy hunting in ALL it's various manifestations. The leaderboards will mean a lot to some people, and less or nothing to others.

Each to their own dude!

As for me, I'd need to invent a time machine and go back to the day I decided to buy an Xbox360 instead of a PS3!

• Like 2

Yeah, if ranking means nothing to you - go ahead make your profile private. Problem solved.

I may surprise you but you can actually:

Have a family (non-gaming kids included)

Have a job (or your own company)

Have friends and occasionally drink/party

Travel

Have +1000 plats

Not me, but I am sure there are people like that ;)

• Like 1

I get what you were going for with this post but my god you sound like a douche, but I think that was your intention.

I have a full time job so I struggle to find time to deal with my massive backlog (although its probably tiny to some people) and get my completion percentage up so I can't imagine what it would be like having loads of time on my hands and just wasting it on piss easy platinums to get my rank up, but hey if you enjoy it, then go for it!

Time is precious man, but as long as you're doing something you enjoy that's okay. Don't let tossers like this make you feel bad for liking something just cause they don't like it.

• Like 1

I care more about my completion rate, even if it's hard to keep it high with all the temptations :D

But from times to times i check my ranking in leaderboard, specially the country one ^^

It doesn't change my way of playing, if I loose a few places, it's ok, i won't buy an easy platinum game just to get my place back

But if i get a little higher in leaderboard, it's still a little satisfaction :D