ZitMeatloaf

What game(s) do you dislike that everyone else seems to love?

73 posts in this topic

Nier Automata

- This has actually been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, and that was actually quite surprising to me. I thought the combat was ass (you can mash parries and dodges), the general gameplay is incredibly repetitive, and the story is really nothing special - the philosophical 'themes' are greatly exaggerated by the fans of this game IMO.

Persona 5

- I actually loved the first half of this game, then the second half became an absolute slog after the game just flat out refuses to end, with predictable plot twists, repetitive dungeons and forced sections of just waiting for something interesting to happen. P4G remains one of my favourite games of all time, but this left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I seem to be in the minority on this one but i thought Sekiro Shadows Die Twice was a complete step backwards for Soulsborne games. Mandatory blocking turned the game into a chore rather then a stylish fast paced challenge and the complete lack of ways to even upgrade your character just made the open world aspect feel useless.

Skyrim

God of War

Borderlands

Horizon Zero Dawn

Red Dead Redemption 1

FPS games - multiple reason but the main 2 are I want to see my character and motion sickness. seems like a lot of developers want to make everything FP, had to pass on Call of Cthulu and will have to pass on Cyberpunk too.

Sandbox games - I like a couple but the whole "large empty world" gets boring real fast, not to be confused with "open world" games where the world opens as you progress.

Souls games - only because of those clunky and sluggish controls, it kills the games for me

as for individual games, Horizon Zero Dawn was boring, Resident Evil 2 RE-Imagined felt too generic and lost a lot of its charm amongst other things not a bad game but should have been called something else. God of War "4" also not a bad game but felt like it was trying to be the next Uncharted instead of God of War, I do not mind change but everyone needs to stop trying to mimic everyone else.

Fortnite, Call of Duty (later games), Madden, Dark Souls, Zelda, JRPGS, “looter shooters”, things that come to my mind. 

Well, I play a lot of niche games, so they tend to draw fanboys. I'll try to limit myself to big titles. The biggest one is probably Horizon: Zero Dawn. I mean, it was OK, but it had probably the dumbest story elements I've ever seen. In its attempt to be a progressive game, it apparently lost track of common sense.

Another one that I didn't like, but was loved by many, was God of War 3. I mean, again, it's not a bad game, but it felt so, "Been there, done that." It's the only ones among those I've played that I didn't bother to go back and plat, because I mean...how many times do I need to see Kratos rip off someone's head, or beat the shit out of him, with apparently no reason whatsoever? 

Honestly one game that I just don't find attractive is DOOM (the 2016 one of course). It's not a bad shooter it's just....it bores me to death. I feel like it has no substance or...soul,not to mention the fanbase(the vocal ones at least) is horrible.

Back in the past I would have always enjoy a Serious Sam, a classic DOOM , some good old stupid Duke Nukem 3D. Then you get the tough shooters like FEAR(best FPS imo given how terrifyingly smart the AI was) or the weird but enjoyable ones like Clive Barker's Undying or Jericho. Even some Painkiller worked. But for some reason, this DOOM just feels plain flat and uninspired. That or I am not getting the point of that game in the first place. I'd always go for Wolfenstein instead.

And yeah I have gotten the " hurr durr you should play on highest difficulty " ,I've done that. It's just boring DOOM with extra cheap movesets from the enemies.

18 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Another one that I didn't like, but was loved by many, was God of War 3. I mean, again, it's not a bad game, but it felt so, "Been there, done that." It's the only ones among those I've played that I didn't bother to go back and plat, because I mean...how many times do I need to see Kratos rip off someone's head, or beat the shit out of him, with apparently no reason whatsoever? 

I also 100% agree with this opinion xD GoW3 wasn't a bad game but damn if I didn't get bored of "ZEEEUUUUUSSSSS YOUR SON HAS RETURNED" followed by another head rip. We get the point Kratos BOI , no need to be edgy.

Any military FPS - CoD, BF...

Any weeb games and JRPGs (not necessarily meaning to offend ppl who like that stuff, but to differentiate it from playable/great Japanese games like Suda, Swery, Resident Evil and all the other good stuff)

Okami was dreadful

The Wolf Among Us, boring

LittleBigPlanet, one of the worst platformers I've ever played

4 minutes ago, fastflowdaman said:

The Wolf Among Us, boring

Amen to that. I never understood why everyone was waiting for a sequel.

A game I really don't like is FIFA. So many gamers - at least in Europe - get excited every year when the new FIFA releases. But what's the point? It's still football...

I know many people regard Rogue Warrior for PS3 a master piece but I am playing through it now and it's pure piss.

4 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

I know many people regard Rogue Warrior for PS3 a master piece

First time I've heard that. Is that supposed to be a belated April Fools'?

The game was universally panned by gamers and critics alike.

Horizon Zero Dawn. I was unable to get into it. I think it might have something to do with forcing you to do stealth and stet traps and such, since I know I do not like games like that. Also, didn't love the weapons. 

8 minutes ago, fastflowdaman said:

The game was universally panned by gamers and critics alike.

Yes of course I am joking. :P

Critics might know a bit, but gamers know nothing. I remember when we voted here for the best and worst PS3 games in early 2018. This is the topic. Rogue Warrior is not even in the whole list of flops. However, Borderlands 1 occupies the second position so apparently that is the second worst game ever for the PS3. Someone might want to tell the people at Gearbox who are working on the remaster xD

13 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

Yes of course I am joking. :P

Got me there. I was already beginning to consider that a cult following might be a thing even for this game 😅

For me it is Journey

A lot (all but me ? ^^') found this game beautiful, amazing, and so poetic

I was just bored, it looks empty for me, and didn't have fun at all =/

I guess i'm just not a poet to appreciate those kind of games X)

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't think that the Half-Life series is all that great. Good games on a technical level but nothing that strikes me as the amazing masterpiece that a lot of gamers consider it to be either.

But that said, i do hope that those looking forward to it eventually get to play Half-Life 3. It just won't exactly be a Day One purchase for me.

While we're on Valve, Team Fortress 2 didn't do it for me either. But before y'all go thinking I have a hate boner for Valve, I adore the Left 4 Dead games.

Edited by Stan Lee

Persona 5. 

I'm a huge persona fan to the point I'll defend Tartarus if needed but persona 5 just felt like after kamoshida it feel apart. The twists they tried to throw where predictable. I knew that one person was going to be an antagonist or part the group when he overheard a certain someone talking when normal people can't. 

The cast are quite bland and forgettable and everything about them can be seen at face value rather than them having some underlying issues. 

Assassins creed games for me. Just don't rate them at all. Boring dull games. 

Call of duty. Played on played em all. 

Fortshite. 

Last of Us
story is all there is and wanting me to play it over and over again for a platinum with no deviation to I can not change anything I can not explore anything. why do I want to hear a poor story told twice.
Call of duty

not a fan of military games expect historical and I do not like them telling me to go to foxtrot tango delta charlie I just don't like the jargon.

Assassins Creed. 😴 The 1 COD I played wasnt that good either, but I can see why people like those. AC2 was incredibly boring though...

1 hour ago, Mikoto_railgun01 said:

The cast are quite bland and forgettable and everything about them can be seen at face value rather than them having some underlying issues. 

It  is one of the reasons I disliked P4. The only good characters were yusuke and rise ( to some extent).

P5 was my first persona and I loved it but it was a bit dragged out. I got the vita from a friend and played P4 and it was very underwhelming.

I guess it is the lack of nostalgia for me and the fact that P4 wasnt my first persona.

The "gameplay" aspects ( combat, dungeons, most of side content, exploration) were much better in P5.

The rest ( characters, setting, story) is 100% subjective and the difference is pretty small. That said I prefer the darker tone of P5.

back to the topic

I dislike:

- racing sims

- fighting games

- most sport games

- mass effect

- cod /bf

Edited by GoDBoss173

Games like Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Nioh, Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls and more shit like that. The combat is so slow and boring to me that I’ll probably fall asleep playing these games. 

Edited by BB-BakkerJ