What are your thoughts on "double platinums"?

DMGiovanni

I was having a conversation with a friend that has the platinum trophy for Life Is Strange both on PS3 and PS4. I was unsure if we could count as different platinums, since he did the same things twice.

I enjoy replaying games too and since I've got my ps4 a few months ago, I'm certainly going for double platinums as well. I'm just not going to count them on my "personal list".

What's your opinion?

It's a grey area. For me anyways. If you simply stacked games that take 2hrs to plat then i kinda do and don't? But i stack plats all the time. Darksiders 1 ps3/4 Darksiders 2 ps3/4 Dishonored 1 PS3/4. I'm sure i might have more.

EDIT: Like i said in another threat about easy plats. I honestly don't mind what you do. But if you inflate your numbers with super easy plats and stacks just so you can brag about having X number then i don't take it seriously. But if you do it just for fun then who am i to say what is and isn't cool.

Edited by EmoKitten4
  • Like 4

I have mixed feelings. I hate the way if you get a platinum, it almost makes you want to never play that game again. A double platinum is a short term fix for being able to play said game more than once.

As it happens I always almost go for double platinums on all the Musou/Warriors games as I love them, for me though, playing them first in Japanese and then in English, it's practically a new experience the second time around and knowing what to do the second time, it's almost more fun going through it a second time, there's probably only someone as mad as me who wants to play 100-200hours platinums twice.

But unless a game has a sexy 60fps HD remake, I rarely go for double plats. Easy double plats and things like sound shapes where the game is EXACTLY the same, those kind of double platinums I find annoying.

• Like 2

As stated like many before, I think it's good as long as it's not something like Sound Shapes or something you can beat in a few hours or less. Whenever I plat a game, I feel like it's a waste of time to play it again or do more in it no matter how much I enjoyed it, since I've beaten it and should move on with my backlog. Fighting games aside, since I have a more concrete objective not tied to trophies. Double or even triple dipping lets me play it again without feeling like I'm wasting time.

I will never stack any of the TellTale games nor any visual novel as I think one playthrough is enough. Plus I can just watch YouTube videos if I want to visually see how different choices in these types of games act out.

I think if you buy those shitty indie budget games that automatically come with the PS4/Vita version, and you stack that game right after you do it once, that is trophy whoring. They're extremely easy and easily done in under a hour, and their main selling point is the trophies rather than the games themselves.

I don't think stuff like Heavy Rain, LA Noire or Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is bad if you decide to stack them. Especially if you played Heavy Rain back in 2010 or 2011 and you decided to play the PS4 version in 2016 and beyond. Most of these stacks you have to play from scratch anyway, and they're not games you're going to finish in just a few hours as they often take upwards of 20 hours of more.

I have the Game of the Year Edition of Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor because I enjoyed playing it through the first time on the original version. If you played this right after you do one version I feel that is a bit of trophy whoring. But if there's a one, two year gap, I think that's perfectly fine.

Depends on the game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I will never stack any of the TellTale games nor any visual novel as I think one playthrough is enough. Plus I can just watch YouTube videos if I want to visually see how different choices in these types of games act out.

Eh, I've played Corpse Party (the remake of the PC-95 version, not Book of Shadows or the atrocity that is Blood Drive) multiple times and even bought the 3DS version despite owning the PSP one, and am considering replaying Muv Luv Extra (the first one) to see the foreshadowing I didn't catch the first time around. Been wanting to do the same for Life Is Strange for the same reason, and to see the PS4 version's improvements. I could tell it was struggling to run on the PS3 at some points.

It's entirely subjective, is what I'm saying. If something is written well, I'd be more than willing to go back and see stuff the writers planted to foreshadow future events. And if I can get more trophies that way, I'll take it...provided it's cheap. I'm not willing to shell out $20 or more for something that has no additional content and is just a minor upscale/downscale but on a different system.

I would only do it for a super easy short game, like a VN. I could never imagine doing it for a long grindy title like Kingdom Hearts or Tales of Vesperia though since they take over 100 hours.

I double platted just Steins gate so far, since it just took an hour to do and was free on ps plus on both vita and ps4 at the time.

Short and easy plats like Life is Strange, Steins Gate, Tearaway etc that can be done fairly quickly are ok to double plat. But if the game was not free on ps plus, it would have to be super cheap for me to buy it twice on two different systems.  

I've definitely double Platted and often tripled myself on a fair few games. I've exploited the shit out of alot of easy slutty platinums and I regret nothing. Friday the 13th was a must when I found out most of the trophies auto pop. I more than earned the right lol. 

If you enjoy a game and see another stack with a whole new trophy list then why not! Just got the NA burnout paradise remaster stack for $4.99 which is a bargain. That'll be another triple. Dead nation is another one that I tripled, loads more too. One series that I'd do over and over again is Bioshock. May they remaster that unique epic beast again and again and again! 

Edited by I need more BIOSHOCK
  • Like 3

I prefer to waste my time on playing new games than replaying already completed Obviously there are some games that are beautiful to play over and over again... that makes sense to get platinum twice. But if that platinum is pretty annoying like getting a lot of hidden things or grinding a ridiculous amount of time, then i pass.

Well, as long as you do it yourself it's always legitimate. The only ones I wouldn't recognise are when a person let's someone else onto their account. Have a few friends who count plats even when their partners help grind out trophies. They say because they take no skill it's fine as other people have more time than them lol

I find it fun to replay games and a new trophy list is a good excuse. I’ve gotten doubled up on Sly (still need to do 4), Jak & Daxter, Ratchet and Clank where applicable. 

I dont really care care what people think about it. I did 100% of R&C and J&D on PS2 too. Just no way to track that. Also played and completed Sly series and Okami. 

Man I wish Okami PS4 didn’t share a list with PS3. :( 

I will I’ll do some of them again if they get on PS5 too. 

• Like 1