What are your thoughts on "double platinums"?

DMGiovanni

Double platinums are fine. I like them, since they are a great way of replaying games that I liked and still earn trophies. I count each one of them as a platinum. Why shouldn’t why? The double one still gave me work to achieve and they are literally separate trophy lists and separate platinums.

Not a fan of stacking platinums it's a game that's so good it justifies playing twice. I personally haven't done so yet even though I do deem a few games from my list to be worthy of doing so.

If you disagree and/or stack easier games for sake of extra trophies then I won't judge you for it.

I love them. Sometimes I wake up and just wanna get like 4 plats in 4 days and stacking lands itself well to that. Other times I wanna stick with a hard game and take 2 months on it.

My fav stacks are ps3 / ps4 version. It's awesome to see how far technology has come and how the same engine handles far different hardware.

Edited by Startyde

I wish some of the games I played on PS3 would be re-released on PS4 so I can Plat them again. Rayman 3 HD, Beyond Good and Evil and Alice: Madness Returns to be precise. The first two don't even have Plats but that's not what matters to me. There's a Japanese release of Alice, but I'm not gonna buy stuff from the JP store because I wouldn't understand anything in there, let alone in the game. I had 2 semesters of Japanese during university but lost nearly all of my knowledge due to my lack of practice.

• Like 1

Somebody double stacking an RPG/military shooter /etc vs somebody stacking a cash-grab platinum does not make a difference so long as the enjoyment is there? Also even if its no enjoyment but to hit another milestone or get close to a particular trophy goal somebody sets for themselves why does that affect somebody else? 

At the end of the day what it boils down to is the reasons people play and there are a lot of them for a lot of different people.

I for example double stacked PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale because the second copy was free since it was "Cross-Buy" same reason why i have two version of Ratchet & Clank 3 loaded on my profile because it was free so why not? Although that is my reasoning other people may buy double stacks at the end of the day the points are worth the same for the platinum no difference, only thing that puts them apart is that some other games may require more skill, time and dedication, thus more rewarding to earn that sweet plat

Edited by DarkSoleride
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I have no issue with double plats as long as you need to re-earn them. Stuff like Sound Shapes, I'm not a fan of. I do wish we had more leaderboard filter options and could filter out stacks though to get a better picture of some profiles.

This is OT but I was looking at your profile and I have to say, I admire your determination to go back and finish old games you started, some taking 5, 6, 7 years to complete. It's so easy to leave something half a decade old in the past, and I admire those that have the grit to not let it go, haha. Anyway, sorry for the tangent. 

I haven’t done it often but if I really enjoyed the game and/or getting the platinum then I’ll play it again sometime in the future (did that just recently with Alien: Isolation), leaving a long enough wait to not get burnt out.

Only other exception would be if a PS4 version came out on PS+, because it’s a free plat that I’m familiar with.

I'm trying to do it less now that I'm finding it tough to keep up with new games but I've definitely done my fair share of double plats. I think a lot of people only make a fuss about it in regards to the rankings and when comparing rare trophies. I always found it a bit odd if someone boasts about their # of rare trophies but a good portion of them are from the same games but I don't get mad about it. Trophies mean something different to each person going for them and sometimes we forget that our perception of trophies isn't the "right" way, just our way. It's when people try making their way out to be the right way that causes problems, like with Spaz's recent thread on the rankings. ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Startyde said:

This is OT but I was looking at your profile and I have to say, I admire your determination to go back and finish old games you started, some taking 5, 6, 7 years to complete. It's so easy to leave something half a decade old in the past, and I admire those that have the grit to not let it go, haha. Anyway, sorry for the tangent. 

Thanks, it takes a lot of effort, but I usually tackle games in between big releases. It really is difficult to motivate myself sometimes to go back and finish a game, but I'm almost done with my backlog ?. I rented a lot of games from Blockbuster back in the day and those are mostly the ones that are so old on my profile.

it all depends on what you want to do with your list.  I have tried to complete most game i play and in some instances I have failed.  The average trophy whore i don't think understands what goes into it.  for instance i spent over 450 hours to 100% BO4 to this point and they are about to drop another dlc which depending on difficulty could the another 50 to keep that 100%.  in that 50 hours a really good person at whoring trophies could get another 10 platinums.  Trophy hunting is going after those difficult rare achievements that not everyone has.  Games with over 250,000 owners and less than 1000 people have completed every single trophy that is an accomplishment.  Stacking games isn't an accomplishment.  It's only reasonable to assume if you did something once you can do it again.  Give me a list with over 100 platinums and a 90% plus completion rate with a average rarity around 38 or less and that is something nice that took time and dedication. Anything else is casual gaming and chasing meaningless leaderboards which is fine if that is what makes you happy go for it.  If you want to chase leaderboards you have to stack the easy game so do it.  It's not for my taste.

I personally wouldn't do any TellTale game or story driven game like Life is Strange more than once. Those kinds of games I think are best played just once, playing them more than that I think is rather boring considering that these games are incredibly easy and they don't offer a lot of gameplay or replayability.

The Jak games and Ratchet and Clank games I don't mind twice because you still have to play through them and focus on the gameplay aspect.

Some people like to criticize that somebody autopopped Sound Shapes and Sly Cooper, but in all honesty you have to play them legit once before that option is available. They are basically "free" platinums but we have reached the point where a majority of us couldn't care less.

If you played and finished LA Noire back in 2011 and then played it again on the PS4 in 2018 - 2019, I don't see that as any form of "trophy whoring" or whatever term some people like to describe stacking. If you enjoyed it the first time years ago and then played it again for the first time in ages, I think that is pretty good.

57 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I personally wouldn't do any TellTale game or story driven game like Life is Strange more than once. Those kinds of games I think are best played just once, playing them more than that I think is rather boring considering that these games are incredibly easy and they don't offer a lot of gameplay or replayability.

I loved playing GoT and Borderlands Telltale twice and picked the exact opposite choices. Sure, the end be cutscenes are the same for the most part, but it's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

To each their own though.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

u wont double plat, but youll basically double post lol

Anyway, idc. If you earn the same Plat in a row it's obvious you're just grinding out trophies and not really enjoying the game.

Yes, I have Sound Shapes -- because I got it on PS+ and only played it because the sync was(?) going away. I still did it in such a way that it's not my fastest, thank god.

On 3/17/2019 at 0:26 AM, Spaz said:

I will never stack any of the TellTale games nor any visual novel as I think one playthrough is enough. Plus I can just watch YouTube videos if I want to visually see how different choices in these types of games act out.

I think if you buy those shitty indie budget games that automatically come with the PS4/Vita version, and you stack that game right after you do it once, that is trophy whoring. They're extremely easy and easily done in under a hour, and their main selling point is the trophies rather than the games themselves.

I don't think stuff like Heavy Rain, LA Noire or Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is bad if you decide to stack them. Especially if you played Heavy Rain back in 2010 or 2011 and you decided to play the PS4 version in 2016 and beyond. Most of these stacks you have to play from scratch anyway, and they're not games you're going to finish in just a few hours as they often take upwards of 20 hours of more.

I have the Game of the Year Edition of Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor because I enjoyed playing it through the first time on the original version. If you played this right after you do one version I feel that is a bit of trophy whoring. But if there's a one, two year gap, I think that's perfectly fine.

Depends on the game.

I am quoting this because it is mostly how I feel. I have doubled some TT games mainly I was curious to see if they ran any different on PS4. I also made slightly different choices. I won't stack some of these easy games that have like 4 to 6 stacks. I've played some of them but I will not create a account for other regions just to get the stacks.

Agreed with what you say about something like Heavy Rain. I payed it on release on Ps3 and also on Ps4. Were it had been quite a few years I enjoyed it again. Which Heavy Rain is one of my favorite games. I've stacked up on some of my favorites like the Uncharted series. They did change up the trophies some so it was somewhat different. I have some others I want to play again.

So this is my stance, I don't care what others do with their time and money. 

Personally I think it's perfectly fine to count it as two seperate platinums.

With that being said, I think it's weird when someone has the platinum for the NA, EU, JPN version of the same game and on the same platform. I get the appeal though. If you wanna replay a good game anyway, you might as well go for another platinum. But when I see some profiles it just seems like people are buying games for the platinum, which is a waste in my opinion.

But hey... you do you my friend, you do you.

Edited by RikuKelev

On 19/03/2019 at 11:51 AM, Jun_Kazama316 said:

Personally i don't mind what people do, but to me it is a cheap way to inflate ones plat count.  I mean if you like a game so much than play the one you already have there is no reason to buy another copy especially if the trophies are the same.

My thoughts are pretty much exactly this... not much to add, other than I think it's paying for trophies rather than games, for the exact reasons mentioned above. 

I for one don't mind if people stack games multiple times. Hell even I've done it for some, although in my case one version was free (after I've already had the game in a different version) or came in a bundle. The only game (with trophies) I paid for twice was Saints Row IV on PS3 and PS4 but I love SR, sooo.... Otherwise I'd rather buy/play games with new experiences instead of stacking them.

But I think as long as you put in the work and not auto-popping, it should count.