Can't get Playstation Move to work on PS3, it's looking for PS4 instead!

You

Ok, so I wanted to play some Move games on PS3, I got 2 move controllers for my PS4 so I thought why not? I've bought a PS3 camera but when I try to use either of my move controllers, the power light is flashing, it's trying to find the PS4 and switch it on.

Now I've used a paper clip in the back of the move controller to reset it, but it's still not working. Have tried plugging it into the PS3 and detecting it using the PS3 software, it says press the circle button but nothing happens. Feel like I've tried everything but still no luck. I've unplugged my PS4 from the electric and still nothing.

Anyone else had trouble trying to get their PS4 move controllers to work in a PS3?

Tried that, well I didn't beat or kick it though. Charge is on full, as soon as I plug my PS4 back in, move controller switches on PS4 and all is fine.

I don't think the reset button in the back is working, have held a paper clip in there for 10 seconds and it still won't reset.

Edited by enaysoft

I've managed to "Forgot Device" for both of my move controllers on PS4, now when I turn on the move controller the red flash comes on and then instantly off. Perhaps the move controller's charge cable only works on PS4 and doesn't work on PS3?

10 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I've managed to "Forgot Device" for both of my move controllers on PS4, now when I turn on the move controller the red flash comes on and then instantly off. Perhaps the move controller's charge cable only works on PS4 and doesn't work on PS3?

they'll work for either the ps3/ps4. they seem to connect with either one. not sure if this will help or tried put your usb cable into one of the two slots in the front have that usb cable in your ps move controller and push the home button when your system is on. it should work hopefully.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kingdrake2 said:

they'll work for either the ps3/ps4. they seem to connect with either one. not sure if this will help or tried put your usb cable into one of the two slots in the front have that usb cable in your ps move controller and push the home button when your system is on. it should work hopefully.

I've looked online and apparentely when you plug your Move controller into the PS3 the red light is supposed to come on. It flashes when charging and is constantly red when plugged in.

However when I plug mine in, the light does not come on. Now I know the cable or move controller are fine because they work on PS4 and the usb cable is the official cable from Sony so it can't be the fault of a second party controller or cable.

When you say push the "home" button. Which button is that? I tried charging on both of the PS3 slots but neither make any difference.

Whether the Move controller is plugged in or not the red light flashes once and then goes off again.

Edited by enaysoft

not sure what to call it "the wavy oval button" should be a PS logo button below that. if it doesn't react i'm not sure what there is to help get it going because it worked when i had to start up mad dog mccree month's ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kingdrake2 said:

not sure what to call it "the wavy oval button" should be a PS logo button below that. if it doesn't react i'm not sure what there is to help get it going because it worked when i had to start up mad dog mccree month's ago.

KingDrake does your controller power light turn red, or flash red the instant you plug the controller into your ps3?

I'm curious to whether the cable is the fault as there is not literally no indication at all whether the controller is connecting to the ps3 or not. I have no visual feedback.

I read a lot of posts online about the light always going red, nobody ever said the light didn't come on.

Edited by enaysoft

In that case I seem to have cable issues then, which is odd since it works fine on PS4...

If itsn't charging then it isn't connecting to the ps3 properly. It's the same issue with both of my move controllers.

I just unpacked a brand new cable from my other move controller that came with my PS4, same issue. Not being detected on PS3, my charging cable for PS3 dualshock, tried it in both ports and charging works.

Hmm, no idea what to do. I checked all the settings in the PS3 menus and none of them seemed to do anything.

Man I am totally stumped.

Ok I think I know what the issue is. I think I have move controller that DON'T WORK with PS3. :(

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/3/16411466/sony-ps-move-controller-mini-usb-micro-playstation-vr

CECH-ZCM2J is written on the back of both of them and they do not work on PS3. Man that sucks, I just bought a PS3 camera as well....

PS3 version

EqL5RSo.jpg

In this picture, far bottom is PS3 usb charger and middle is PS4 usb charger, I have the middle one...

31-K-+90nBL._SX355_.jpg

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

that's FTL. might have some luck on pawn shops, good will or ebay. amazon is kinda scalping the prices for the old style move controller.

another far-fetched idea is to find a converter that puts the micro into allowing your mini to hook to the port. not sure if that would work :(.

Edited by kingdrake2
  • Like 1

I live in Japan and move controller on ps3 is expensive on amazon, never seen it second hand. Will keep a look out now though.

Man that sucks.

I don't think a convertor would work, after all it's not just a charging issue, it's a detection issue and who knows is the PS3 can connect it or not.

• 1 year later...
On 3/17/2019 at 1:30 AM, enaysoft said:

Ok I think I know what the issue is. I think I have move controller that DON'T WORK with PS3. :(

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/3/16411466/sony-ps-move-controller-mini-usb-micro-playstation-vr

CECH-ZCM2J is written on the back of both of them and they do not work on PS3. Man that sucks, I just bought a PS3 camera as well....

PS3 version

EqL5RSo.jpg

In this picture, far bottom is PS3 usb charger and middle is PS4 usb charger, I have the middle one...

31-K-+90nBL._SX355_.jpg

this sucks, just bought a ps3 eye and i think im having the exact same issue with my ps4 controller. can anyone else confirm this?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...