Is trophy hunting a waste of time your thoughts.

16 minutes ago, PaoloGaldor said:

Going to be controversial and say yes !! Well for me anyhow !! I find that trophies have ruined my gaming somewhat.. I get obsessed every so often with whether games can give ma a platinum that  I loose sight of why I play games !! I've got a shed load of games in my backlog that are untouched or uncompleted due to this.  I know its my problem and on the flip side when i'm in the zone the thrill of getting an elusive trophy is amazing.

Pre trophy days I just played games.. because i liked them !!

Completely agree.  I'm not doing anything, artificially, for hundreds of hours or rounds or lightning strikes for a digital ping.  Oh well.

If you enjoy doing something, then I don’t think it’s a waste of time. Playing games and hunting trophies are some of the things that I enjoy doing the most, so, no, these activities are not a waste of time, for me.

• Like 1

I hunted some trophies that I consider now as a waste of time. Now, I have change my mind on which trophies I will decide to hunt.

My main problem was to decide to plat a game before to even play it! Because I like the serie, because I like the developper, etc. And even when I like a game, sometimes trophies are stupid, like grind this or grind that. Would you like to do several runs like different difficulties? Or maybe a speed run, like for Ico, a poetic and comtemplative game where you enjoy the landscape...

1 hour ago, jaehyun1009 said:

To me trophy hunting provides that extra motivation to explore the game to its fullest extent in most cases. For example I wouldn't have gone the extra mile to get the 7 ultimate weapons, fight dark aeons, etc. in FFX if it weren't for trophies. I get more value out of games and earn trophies in the process, win-win situation.

Couldnt agree more. I look at nintendo and think so many fun games there but my god if there was a trophy/achievment system it would be a miles more popular console imo

I disagree, when you start to like hunt every trophy in any game, you change the way of playing games, currently I'm playing a game on my PSP and obviously, it does not have trophies, but I try to do every single side-quest or find every treasure because now I need to do most of the thing available and try to know more about the story or NPCs than just go for the main story and change to another game. So no, trophies are not a waste of time, is a way of reach a better experience and appreciate the labor of the developes.

Edited by AlchemistWer
  • Like 2

Could I be spending my time in more productive ways? Absolutely, but you could say the same about pretty much everything we do in our spare time. I find trophy hunting to be enjoyable and it encourages me to get the most out of each game I play. Plus, I get a great feeling of satisfaction at the end, so it's all worth it for me. Even when I'm grinding or doing something tedious in the pursuit of trophies, I'll just put something on in the background like a podcast or a YouTube video, so that way I never really feel like I'm wasting my time.

• Like 3