I want to change my HDD without losing anything

El-Sublime-

I bought my PS3 a long time ago, it's an ultra slim 250 gb edition. In these times, this space was enough for me. But now, i have many games and DLCs that of course will not fit on the current HDD.

So, i have a new HDD. 1 TB capabilty and same hardware size. The only thing i know, is that i have to syncronize my trophies before doing this. But i have a few questions to do:

-I know the unique method to change the HDD is using the backup tool that comes with the console. But does it also saves your profiles? Can i keep all what i have same on the new disk?

-Does saved data still popping trophies if i play with them later? I mean, i have some uncompleted games, and i want to win the remaining trophies but i heard that copied data from another profile will not be recognized from my game, or even will disable all trophies that i've not unlocked. The fact is i do not want to play my games from zero again (and if i wish, i wouldn't have the need to do a backup). I think this question will be answered with the first one.

-What can i do for copy-protected saves? Does the backup carry them? I have a bit of them and don't want to lose the progress, even when i got the platinum.

-Is 1 TB a size too big for PS3?

-Is better to clean the entire disk and only let the savegames for backup for a faster process? I heard that PS3 is very very slow doing this.

1. any progress you made from your profile will be fine (from your first trophy to your last).

2. yes but you need to make sure you sync before the transfer and make sure your saves are on the new HD

3.not sure how to answer for copy-protected saves

4.TB isn't too big, can never have too much space for ps3

5. yes. though you'll more than likely have to redownload every game currently working on or planning to play.

- when I changed mine over it forgot my emails and passwords write that sh** down

- off load your stuff to a cloud or usb or use a drive cloner 

- 1TB 2.5" is as big as you can go the 3 of mine are almost full 

- Naw, It'll be fine if you have patience, like of course it all depends if you want to upload and download 

Im also just adding that an SSD or Hybrid will increase speeds and loading times among other things I know you already bought an HDD and what not but just a heads up

• Like 1

I am not sure, if this happens also for back up your system on an external drive, but if you only copy your save games on a drive, it will not copy all games. Since there are some games which dont allow to copy their sava data, but they can be copied to your ps plus cloud.

3 minutes ago, T-100 said:

I am not sure, if this happens also for back up your system on an external drive, but if you only copy your save games on a drive, it will not copy all games. Since there are some games which dont allow to copy their sava data, but they can be copied to your ps plus cloud.

The copy-protected saves cannot be copied on a drive or even to the cloud. That's why i ask.

Thanks all of you.

1 hour ago, AN0n1m8 said:

The copy-protected saves cannot be copied on a drive or even to the cloud. That's why i ask.

Thanks all of you.

If you use the built-in backup/restore function of the PS3 everything gets copied over, even copy-protected saves, as long as you restore them to the same Console!

So just do all your preparations as already mentioned, for example making sure you know your passwords and stuff (because you have to reenter them after restoring) and then sync your trophies one last time.

After that make a system backup to external HDD, replace the drive of your PS3 and then restore said backup from the HDD back to your new PS3 drive :)

Source/Info: https://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/3_15/settings/backuputility.html

Edited by dernop
added help link
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AN0n1m8 said:

Thanks all of you.

You CAN use the cloud to back up copy-protected saves as long as you are subscribed to PS Plus. Only USB won't work.

Edit: the trick is to copy them one by one manually.

Edited by fastflowdaman
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, fastflowdaman said:

You CAN use the cloud to back up copy-protected saves as long as you are subscribed to PS Plus. Only USB won't work.

This. I pay the subscription especially for that. Too bad they didn't make them copy-able to external devices to this day, unless, well, huh...

25 minutes ago, fastflowdaman said:

What about if another profile got plus? Will it work? I only have ps3 and i will not pay for a useless month of ps-plus only for this (because plus on ps3 is useless) so getting the 14-days free on a new account maybe works.

1 hour ago, dernop said:

If you use the built-in backup/restore function of the PS3 everything gets copied over, even copy-protected saves, as long as you restore them to the same Console!

So just do all your preparations as already mentioned, for example making sure you know your passwords and stuff (because you have to reenter them after restoring) and then sync your trophies one last time.

After that make a system backup to external HDD, replace the drive of your PS3 and then restore said backup from the HDD back to your new PS3 drive :)

Source/Info: https://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/3_15/settings/backuputility.html

27 minutes ago, fastflowdaman said:

dernop was right. Just read the link and see: 

If you back up data on a PS3™ system and then transfer data to another PS3™ system using the data transfer utility, copy-prohibited saved data that is included in the backup data cannot be restored on either system.

Anyways, thanks for replies. As for now, i'm planning to clean the disk and do the backup on a pendrive (i guess save games will not be more than 16 GB...) then restore all on the new hdd and re-download all the other stuff. I think it's better this way, because i can play while i'm downloading. However with the backup tool i have to wait a lot, maybe more than a day... who knows.

All trophies syncronized and i know all my accounts.

1 minute ago, fastflowdaman said:

I didn't say he wasn't. I corrected your statement regarding the possibility of transferring saves to the cloud.

I know. I was a bit confused when you said that USB won't work, while he says that it will work in the same system.

15 minutes ago, fastflowdaman said:

Yeah, but on the other hand, that'd defeat the purpose of copy protection itself.

I don't understand copy-protection. Almost all games don't use that thing. I remember the Mortal Kombat Armageddon file on PS2 that has that thing and cannot be copied. So annoying...

11 minutes ago, AN0n1m8 said:

I know. I was a bit confused when you said that USB won't work, while he says that it will work in the same system.

Basically both statements are true, because there are two different methods of "using USB Drive to transfer your data":

1. Directly copying specific game saves to USB: Doesn't work with copy-protected saves
  2. Using a USB drive (usually a larger external HDD) to backup your whole system and implicitly transferring your saves this way: Does work with copy-protected saves

I hope all goes well for you and you don't lose any data. Keep us posted! :)

1 hour ago, fastflowdaman said:

Yeah, but on the other hand, that'd defeat the purpose of copy protection itself.

I'll never understand the purpose of copy protections with games without trophies or online modes.

1 hour ago, AN0n1m8 said:

I don't understand copy-protection. Almost all games don't use that thing. I remember the Mortal Kombat Armageddon file on PS2 that has that thing and cannot be copied. So annoying...

Weren't there third-party solutions to copy/backup PS2 protected saves?

Well, i've deleted anything but the saves, then did the backup on a usb flash (1 GB). Last, putted the new disk and restored the data. But it's stuck at 88% and "1 minute remaining".

If i press circle, the system will rebuild the database and all will be fine... except for the protected-copy saved games. They are missing.

Should i wait a long time even when it says "1 minute remaning"? Maybe that last minute is stuck because validating the shitty saves.

EDIT: i have waited almost 5 hours and the backup finally it's fully restored. All saves, included copy-protected, are back. I hope this help anyone who reads on the future. Just be patient! Looks like encrypted data tooks a lot of time to be copied.

Thanks all of you again for helping!

Edited by AN0n1m8
  • Like 1

250GB was not enough for PS3? Dammmn.... lol

You must only buy digitally i guess. I think my 360 Hard Drive is a 120GB and i never had any issues with space. I can't install all my games obviously but i don't need to have all games installed at the same time.

In my PS3 i am unsure of what size i got, its in the 100GB+ but i can't remember if its 120 or 160. Now ganted i use the PS3 mostly for exclusives only so i am sure that ill have plenty of space for all games lol. 

I never understood the concept of copy protected saves either. Ultimately you can't copy a save from one profile to another anyway. Copying saves is always for backups to your own profile. Yes in some games it may defeat the purpose of a specific trophy (like do not die for the entire game) but i always find those stupid anyway... no games should have a "no death" trophy for the entire game.

You must only buy digitally i guess.

I have both, don't look at my profile, i have more games but no time to play all of them (like most of us) both physic and digital (even i have both versions of same game, like cod mw3 or borderlands).

The fact is i share the console with my brother and we have a very different taste of games, so when i want to install one, he wants another and the space was cause of many discussions we had. Also i play games that i've got the platinum already sometimes and it's a pity to have to delete them because the free space.

Also there are some DLCs and patchs that have a good size amount like Payday 2, GTA V or Gran turismo. So even when i have in them physic version, the size is still being a problem.

Edited by AN0n1m8

On 3/25/2019 at 1:02 AM, DestroWOD said:

250GB was not enough for PS3? Dammmn.... lol

You must only buy digitally i guess. I think my 360 Hard Drive is a 120GB and i never had any issues with space. I can't install all my games obviously but i don't need to have all games installed at the same time.

In my PS3 i am unsure of what size i got, its in the 100GB+ but i can't remember if its 120 or 160. Now ganted i use the PS3 mostly for exclusives only so i am sure that ill have plenty of space for all games lol. 

I never understood the concept of copy protected saves either. Ultimately you can't copy a save from one profile to another anyway. Copying saves is always for backups to your own profile. Yes in some games it may defeat the purpose of a specific trophy (like do not die for the entire game) but i always find those stupid anyway... no games should have a "no death" trophy for the entire game.

250GB would have been enough in the early days of the PS3, but towards the end of last gen is when file sizes started getting huge, even save files were getting big. 

I also have the 250GB Super Slim, I got it when my 120GB Slim got YLOD...but both of those have a 1TB HDD in them (well the 1TB in my Super Slim is the same one that was in the Slim). While all these years later, I have plenty of space left on it...the peace of mind is always nice. That's why when I bought my PS4 in 2015, I almost immediately upgraded it to a 2TB HDD...I never wanted space to be an issue. 

I'm sure the PS5 will come with a 1TB HDD and need a 4TB at least lol.

Edited by Viper

• 2 months later...

Well i guess it also depend on your type of gaming. I changed 360 since my last post because the other one couldn't read much disc anymore (only when it felt like it, and that was when the disc holder didn't stuck...) and i now have a 250 GB and i still have so much space left after installing everything i needed to install. Granted i didn't install all my digital retail games as i prefer to play them on Xbox One when possible by way of Backward compatibility and i prefer disc games usually (but have a lot of digital games due to games with gold) but my point is that i have plenty of space with 250. 

But i only play alone on my console, i don't share. I can understand if you are 2 or more playing on the same machine with different taste in gaming it may be an issue.

In any case with my PS3 ill have enough space to install every DLC i own (its not a lot tough lol), all the PS1/PS2 games i bough (trough the store via the emulation thingy) and a few digital games + the installs and patches of my physical games. I don't think ill ever lack space lol.