Difficult PS4 games that are fun to plat and have UR trophies.

Black_Rose_IX

Was hoping to get a few recommendations on some PS4 games that have UR trophies and are difficult and fun to plat at the same time as I have a pretty low UR count and don't have many difficult plats. Most of the games that I seem to like have fairly common plats so I'd like to see what suggestions you guys have.

Thanks in advance! 

From what I've played, I'd recommend looking at:  Rogue Legacy, The Evil Within, Shadow Warrior, Furi, Jotun

I really liked all of those and they're quite difficult without being insane about it.  (If you want that, then go for something like Super Meat Boy or Crypt of the NecroDancer which are both good games as well as being among the most difficult).

Other URs I'd recommend:

The Banner Saga -- it's not as difficult as those I listed above, but it's an UR platinum and I can't miss an opportunity to mention it, since I really liked the series.

Stardew Valley -- It has a difficult mini-game, which makes the platinum quite rare.  Other than that it's not a difficult one, just a lengthy one to plat, especially if you don't use any exploits.  So, I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Here’s the ones I’ve completed myself that I think are worth doing. 

• Darkest dungeon
  • Divinity 1&2
  • Shadow warrior
  • Hard reset redux
  • Bloody zombies
  • Jotun
  • Flame in the flood
  • Mother Russia bleeds
  • Assault android cactus
  • Astebreed
  • Nex machina
  • Steam world dig 2
  • Seraph
  • Banner saga
  • Dead cells
  • Evil within
  • Warhammer vermintide 
  • Furi 
  • Titan souls 

Now these are the ones I’ve played and think are worth doing that i haven’t completed yet.

• Dragon ball fighters 
  • Enter the gungeon 
  • Flame over 
  • Geometry wars 
  • Downwell 
  • Wolfenstein 2
  • Steamworld heist 
  • Laser league 
  • Injustice 
  • Absolver 
  • Bro force 
  • Bleed 1&2
  • Street fighter 5 
  • Overwatch 
  • Stardust galaxy warriors
  • Black ops 3&4
  • I hate running backwards 
  • Jamestown 
  • Kingdome come 
  • Dead nation 
  • Amplitude 
  • Stardew valley 
  • Hollow Knight 
  • Strafe 
  • Track mania turbo 
  • Outlast 2 
  • Gonner 
  • Slain 
  • Metal slug anthology 
  • Joe devers lone wolf 
  • Trine 2 
Edited by NaseemJohn
  • Like 4

Super Dungeon Bros.

Especially fun in MP but most of the trophies can be obtained solo. Just completing all mission might take a while because they change on a daily basis (took me 3 weeks to get the final one popping up).

Edited by Bobble_DD

I don’t think these games are that hard, but they give a decent challenge and are great games. A few have already been mentioned by others:

1. Furi

2. Titan Souls

3. Nex Machina

4. Rive 

5. DMC4

• Like 2

If you like turn-based strategy games, XCOM 2, Darkest Dungeon, and The Banner Saga 1-3 are challenging and fun.

If you like sims, Terraria, Cities: Skylines, Tropico 5, Prison Architect, and Sims 4 aren't bad. Not a lot of hardcore gamers play those, so the rarity is low.

Resident Evil Revelations 2 has a lot of UR trophies, for some reason.

Everybody's Golf is great.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

Killzone: Shadowfall is a really fun platinum to get and very rewarding Ultra Rare one too (currently 1.81% PSNP or 0.2% on PSN) 

The game itself is a solid campaign all the multiplayer trophies can be boosted in Botzone except for the "Supply Box" challenge which needs real world players to use your box pretty much has to be boosted. I just messaged randomers whenever i joined a multiplayer lobby and eventually got somebody to help me which worked much better than the PSNP boosting session. 

• Like 1

M9855cf.png

Velocity 2X - One of my favorite indie games.

It is a mixture of shmup and platformer as you play through 50 levels. For the platinum you have to "Perfect" each level. You CANNOT die, and in addition to several other requirements you have to destroy every single piece of glass.

The game was difficult, but I enjoyed it so much that I didn't even think about the difficulty that much.

M30e13d.png

Rogue Legacy - Very good rogue like platformer from Cellar Door Games.

Dungeons and layouts are randomized every time you play. New Game Plus can be a bit challenging, but the real challenge lies with the remix bosses. You need determination and perseverance to beat them. It took me around a hour each on all of the remix bosses before I had a pretty good handle of how to deal with them.

Fun game and worth getting if you enjoy platformers.

Mc96803.png

Downwell - Another rogue like platformer where your main goal is to reach the bottom of the well to find.... your cat.

Like Rogue Legacy, Downwell is randomized every time you play. Your powerups are randomized. Hard Mode was challenging. Certain powerups like Knife and Fork make the game a lot easier, having a poor start can force you to restart a run.

Worth the challenge, and has 10 ultra rare trophies to boot.

M466f32.png

Axiom Verge - I don't think this game really even qualifies as difficult as it really isn't. But it has a few ultra rare trophies so I guess it applies.

Hands down one of the best Metroidvanias to come out in the past few years. Axiom Verge takes the best of the Metroid and Castlevania series and applies it to it's gameplay.

Awesome music, lots of secrets and weapons for you to find, and a ton of fun to play. I won't say anymore, you should play it for yourself.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

Bound, Furi, Lumo, Velocity 2X, WipEout Omega Collection, Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami.

None of them are extremely difficult, they're certainly no Meat Boy, but they offer a decent challenge and are fun to play.

Bound was patched to be easier, Furi has save exploits, WipEout AI seems to have been nerfed on PS4 compared to PS3, and Yakuza's main difficulty comes from the various minigames you need to do.

Edited by madbuk
  • Like 2

My favorite game this generation overall is Trackmania Turbo sitting at about 0.68% plat rarity.

It's hard as hell, but death is cheap, so you can do multiple tries fast.

Also, Velocity 2X is great and it's not so hard as the rarity suggests. 

If you are really crazy and don't mind spending a minimum of 250h in a platinum trophy with a great portion of it being online, there is Gran Turismo Sports.

2 minutes ago, ElBolovo said:

My favorite game this generation overall is Trackmania Turbo sitting at about 0.68% plat rarity.

If you are really crazy and don't mind spending a minimum of 250h in a platinum trophy with a great portion of it being online, there is Gran Turismo Sports.

Trackmania Turbo looks like a lot of fun. I intend to play it some day but I have so many other games to get through lol. How long would you say it took to plat?

23 minutes ago, ElBolovo said:

Trackmania turbo. Hard game. Great game.

There's no way to track time in gt sport but I'm pretty sure it takes a good 300 hrs at least unless a better method to boost xp has been found since I did it.

Solid choices here.

Edited by Angus1343

I’m surprised no one mentioned Binding of Isaac Rebirth

love this game, also recommending Furi as it’s super fun

Helldivers has an ultra rare plat and was pretty enjoyable the little I played it

Enter the Gungeon and EDF 4.1 as well, I need to play both of these more

Edited by DEI2EK
  • Like 1

Here's a couple challenging fun URs from my repertoire that have not been mentioned in this thread yet:

OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood Fast sidescrolling skateboard game that requires lots of precision and twitch action. You will die a lot but respawn instantly so you can learn from your mistakes and shortcomings, which means death is not a huge issue unless you made it far in to the level and fuck it up at the end. I'd say it's the toughest platinum I have right now which is matched by its sub-1% rarity.

Transformers: Devastation Mostly an action game with elements of driving. What makes this particularly difficult is the SS rank runs but it can be somewhat mitigated by using save backup exploit. If you happen to like the original 80s transformers cartoon (maybe even transformers in general) you will like this game as well.

Super Time Force Ultra Platforming shooter with interesting twist in time rewind so you can "undo" your deaths or defeat a boss in time by making copies of yourself. I can't quite explain it elegantly so you'll have to watch some videos but trust me, it's a fun game.

• Like 1

My first game into the world of difficult UR plats was Nex Machina, which I would highly recommend aswell. The plat was super fun, the most difficult part of the game is not required for the plat, though the rest is still challenging.

Furi is another great and challenging game.

SMB of course, though some people would probably hate to go for the plat.

Just Cause 3, but many people had a problem with the many challenges. The plat is not that difficult but was fun.

OlliOlli2

Wipeout Omega Collection

Titan Souls

Dead Nation, I would highly recommend to play it COOP though.

Raiden V, while the plat has some useless grinds, its a great entry into Shmups with a doable plat. If you like this type of game there are many more Shmups with even harder plats.

• Like 1

Magicka 2 - Honestly, this game is a lot of fun and even more so if you play with a group of friends.  For real I don't think I've ever laughed so much playing a game as I did this one (the friend killing is the best part :giggle:).  It's not overly difficult apart from one or two challenges, but it has a lot of UR trophies

Hollow Knight - I've not finished this one yet, and I'm surprised it's not been recommended more in the thread.  The game is challenging but fair.  If you like metroidvania type games then I highly recommend picking this up.  

Don't Starve Together - Regardless of the name, you can play this entirely solo.  It's not as difficult as the original Don't Starve, but the game is fun and the trophies are enjoyable to obtain.  Great if you like wilderness-survival games.  It can be a bit unforgiving at times whilst you learn the game mechanics.

Stardew Valley - Still need to go back and do the mini-game to get the platinum.  Overall the game is a wonderful, chilled out farming simulator but there is a twin stick shooter mini-game that has a trophy for beating it without dying that's quite challenging.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, madbuk said:

Trackmania Turbo looks like a lot of fun. I intend to play it some day but I have so many other games to get through lol. How long would you say it took to plat?

It's highly skill dependant, if you are anywhere between 75h to 200h is a good bet. I think it took me about 120h, but It was a long time ago so I can't remember so much. Just a heads up, you need 2 controllers for the plat because of one trophy

5 hours ago, Angus1343 said:

Trackmania turbo. Hard game. Great game.

There's no way to track time in gt sport but I'm pretty sure it takes a good 300 hrs at least unless a better method to boost xp has been found since I did it.

Solid choices here.

Not really, the grind seems worse than it is because it is so long and boring (running more than 2700 laps in a oval really can grind your nerves). Supposing you win the 91 races before you complete 322 races and taking into account the 20 minutes between races, you "only" spend 110h in the online part. You can easily complete the single player trophies in 15 hours, finishing at about level 41, leaving you with "only" about 180 races using the KTM X-Bow in Blue Moon to go (let's say 200 because you will lose the some clean bonuses), taking 12 minutes each, for a total of 40 hours or running in triangles. Sum all up , throw in some hours because of the misc trophies and you can make it in less than 200h. 

2 hours ago, ElBolovo said:

Not really, the grind seems worse than it is because it is so long and boring (running more than 2700 laps in a oval really can grind your nerves). Supposing you win the 91 races before you complete 322 races and taking into account the 20 minutes between races, you "only" spend 110h in the online part. You can easily complete the single player trophies in 15 hours, finishing at about level 41, leaving you with "only" about 180 races using the KTM X-Bow in Blue Moon to go (let's say 200 because you will lose the some clean bonuses), taking 12 minutes each, for a total of 40 hours or running in triangles. Sum all up , throw in some hours because of the misc trophies and you can make it in less than 200h. 

I suppose you may be right but yes it does feel longer if so. I got the wins well before 200 total races, but you also need to take into account polls. Also servers being down may be a factor in making it feel longer. I also think I was only level 39 after all online and single player trophies. Regardless, it's a damn long game. ?

13 hours ago, Mori said:

Raiden V, while the plat has some useless grinds, its a great entry into Shmups with a doable plat. If you like this type of game there are many more Shmups with even harder plats.

Raiden IV, which is V's predecessor, I hear is one of the most difficult platinums on the PS3.

If they ever re-release this for the PS4, with the same trophy list, then good luck as I believe there is a trophy where you have to control two controllers. It's currently a sub 1 percent platinum, and I will argue that games like Raiden IV are more difficult than Super Meat Boy simply because not a lot of people know about it. Everybody here has seen Super Meat Boy, and it started out as a Playstation Plus title which contributes heavily to trophies getting lower rarities.

Ikaruga is another extremely difficult shmup that is around a 1 percent rarity for it's platinum. Which again, not a lot of people know about.

I may look at Raiden V in the future. There's been quite a few shmups that have made it to the PS4 in recent years which I highly appreciate.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

Raiden IV, which is V's predecessor, I hear is one of the most difficult platinums on the PS3.

If they ever re-release this for the PS4, with the same trophy list, then good luck as I believe there is a trophy where you have to control two controllers. It's currently a sub 1 percent platinum, and I will argue that games like Raiden IV are more difficult than Super Meat Boy simply because not a lot of people know about it. Everybody here has seen Super Meat Boy, and it started out as a Playstation Plus title which contributes heavily to trophies getting lower rarities.

Ikaruga is another extremely difficult shmup that is around a 1 percent rarity for it's platinum. Which again, not a lot of people know about.

I may look at Raiden V in the future. There's been quite a few shmups that have made it to the PS4 in recent years which I highly appreciate.

Raiden V is definitely worth a shot, especially if someone is not sure about Shmups in general. I've played one, two Bullet-Hell games but I always "feared" Shmups, and watching some insane playthroughs strenghtened that fear. Imo Shmups are more difficult than lets say SMB, though in the end it always comes down to preference. I also thought Trials Fusion was more difficult than SMB.

After getting the plat in Raiden V, I became more confident and I plan to play Dariusburst Chronicles at some time, which seems way more difficult.

I think Raiden IV and Ikaruga are one of, if not the most difficult Shmups currently out there, but I also dont know that many Shmups so I cant really tell. 

I'd love to play Ikaruga in the future though.

Edited by Mori