What games did you play even though you knew the platinum was near impossible?

RynRodriguez

Basically every game in the "The Ones That Got Away" section of my trophy checklist:

Dragon Ball FighterZ: I'm a huge Dragon Ball fan, but no way in hell am I mindlessly grinding for 100 hours just to get Set for Life. Thankfully, the game frequently gives you free zeni just for belonging to a Z-Union and even additional zeni every now and then, so I figured I'll just wait, play something else in the meantime, and the trophy will basically unlock itself. Eventually.

Taiko no Tatsujin - Drum Session: The game is super fun, but have you looked at the trophy list? It's like the developers intentionally wanted to make it nearly impossible to complete. I'd have to have time-stopping powers (or just be Japanese) in order to keep up with all the notes coming at you on the harder difficulties. I figured I'll just play for the heck of it and unlock as many trophies as personally feasible (considering I only have 42% of them, it wasn't all that many).

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: The combo challenges in this game are fucking insane. I figured it should be feasible since I completed all of them back in Dragon Ball FighterZ... but no. Oh hell, no. I'd need Bruce Lee-like reflexes or something and that's just not me.

Devil May Cry 5: So Worthy of Legend requires you to get S-Rank... on every mission... including Hell and Hell mode? I barely got through Dante Must Die! I had to waste 13 Gold orbs just to beat Mission 20! I figured, just like its predecessor, Devil May Cry 5's trophy list will forever be one trophy short of the Platinum for me.

Street Fighter IV / Super Street Fighter IV - I knew I'd never beat all the Trials (literally not even half of them), or finish the 500 online matches in IV or ranking everyone up to C in Super IV, or beat Arcade Mode on Hardest with all characters.... but I'm a longtime SF fan, so I played them anyway.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - no way was I gonna be able to beat Extreme difficulty, and I cannot beat those VR sniping missions where you have to defend a target for love nor money.

Metal Gear Rising - I was never gonna beat the hardest difficulties, or beat the bosses without taking damage, or beat the VR missions... but it's Metal Gear, so I did what I could and moved on.

Injustice: Gods Among Us - the Battle mode is impossible for me, and I couldn't be bothered to turbo my way to level 100.

Bulletstorm - the online servers were down by the time I really got into this game.  If I'd finished the MP in time, then I'd now have the platinum, but oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

I said this months ago on another thread that is now buried a number of pages back on the forums here.

Currently it is none. I don't waste my time with games that I know from the start are going to be literally impossible, such as the Street Fighter games due to my lack of skill and my general distaste for the fighting genre. Racing games are another genre I typically don't like too much. Driveclub I may not get to in time before the game gets delisted. Guess I better get the rest of the DLC and the Bikes standalone game.

Everything except for Grand Theft Auto V and Assassins Creed Brotherhood on the PS3 I can obtain without too much serious trouble. That is if I lived in an area with good internet. Sadly I don't, which makes me wonder if I'll get around to the PS4 version of GTA V since that requires a huge time commitment to the online.

For the rest, including Super Meat Boy, it's only a matter of time before I get the platinum trophies.

Simple answer is ALL games.

Trophy hunting is secondary.  If there is a game I WANT to play, I will play it. 

Not being able to get Plat/100% because of overly-ridiculous or glitched trophies is secondary.  I strive for it in games I enjoy but I won't avoid games I really want to play (or play on an alt account), that sounds terrible.

Wolfenstein 2 and Dead Space 2 spring to mind - I’m not averse to a challenge, but I knew going in to those specific games that they had trophies that required a dedication and a focus that I would never be comfortable dedicating myself to!

The games were both great, and I wouldn’t want to miss out on a game I fancy just because of a few trophies

2 minutes ago, mako-heart said:

lol is this a joke post

Sadly it isn't.  I have yet to try ninja race mode and I'm sure that's where I'll be destroyed. I've been obsessively playing tag missions and I'm finally at a point where hope is becoming lost. But I keep getting so close to finishing a boss after one dies then I get ruined...  I know its "impossible" but i must try! :P

1 minute ago, RoxasOnFire said:

Sadly it isn't.  I have yet to try ninja race mode and I'm sure that's where I'll be destroyed. I've been obsessively playing tag missions and I'm finally at a point where hope is becoming lost. But I keep getting so close to finishing a boss after one dies then I get ruined...  I know its "impossible" but i must try! :P

Well, good luck to you. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of how fucked the game is or whatever.

• Like 1

Playing The Last of Us on PS3 even though I am pretty certain I'm not gonna get all the MP done in time, putting my plats-only status in jeopardy! And for those of you who say "But the MP is really easy, just time-consuming, and you have plenty of time to get it done", you really have no idea how terrible I am at multiplayer. Like, your mom is probably better than I am.

Edited by Stan Lee