Do you have a hard time starting a game?

AJ_Radio

My problem isn't starting games. I got no problem starting them but its getting pass that first 10-15hrs before I lose interest and move on to something else. Then forever itll be buried in my backlog. It could my favorite series to simple easy peasy plat games. I just lose complete interest. I need help. Hahaha

I have a tendency to look at the trophy guides and walkthroughs before starting any game, and I find it super hard to start a game where the platinum walkthrough is just too overwhelming. A perfect example of this was Persona 4 Golden for me, it just had so much going on at once with different personas, having to choose what to do each day, raising your stats and relationships with the other characters... it was like a whirlwind. I also ended up only playing less than half the game before moving on to something else.

I find it easy to start remasters of games I've already played and games with easy-moderate trophy lists where there is a proper 100% plat walkthough. But without that, I find it tough to start a game blind. It must be the trophy hunter in me.  

• Like 1

Yeah I do that half the time, take a few days off before starting the next especially if I ran out of shorter games and the next in mind is a long one. I have that same issue of enjoying a game from the start, until I learn what it is I am exactly doing for required trophies. Actually sometimes when starting a game though I get a wave of excitement, I think because its all new and fresh for me, then It wears off pretty quick and doesn't usually pick up until I get a grasp of things, or in some cases with games it does rarely or even never. 

I think some of it is i dont take proper breaks from games, i kinda start getting ready during days i take off anticipating to start something already. I cant really put down gaming for a long period is part of the issue. Well on top of having depression a majority of my life, last year and a lot of this year so far has been really tough reaching those excitement levels that I want, that help me stay motivated. So games even take me quite awhile longer to finish. Sometimes i'm not even sure if those days that I feel like i am in an excited/euphoric state are from games or what it is. I wish I had them more often because the rare days I feel like that I feel more motivated. Most days I feel down as soon as I wake up and everything feels like hell to accomplish.(I do have Asperger's hence a reason why I have practically always had depression,)

Also another thing i have always had an issue with is memory, maybe its because I go through constant games and shows, but shortly after completion my memory begins to fade of it. So sometimes it feels pointless experiencing new media because I dont keep a long term memory of most things I play and watch. Even for ones I enjoyed my time with. I asked a doctor about it and he said its pretty normal as our minds try to remember more of what keeps us surviving as most important. So I try to not let it bother me, but I hate when people ask oh whats that game or show about. Those kinds of questions make me nervous because Idk if my memory is there to explain it, especially if its been a certain length of time before i played or watched it.

• Like 1

I always have troubles starting a new game because of trophies. I can't just start a game without looking at the trophy list, and sometimes the trophy guide first. And if games have unattainable trophies illl probably never start them. although i haven't encountered those yet.

12 hours ago, FawltyPowers said:

It takes me a while to adjust to a new game yes, I think this comes with the territory if you're a completionist and the game is either difficult or time consuming.

If a game takes 50 hours to platinum and I only play that game it will take around a month for me to complete. In order to get 100% you have to get absorbed in the game and understand it.

When the final trophy pops and it's all over it's hard to just switch off. I think that's the same for anything you invest a lot of time in.

True. 

I’m also irritated if a game is part of a series that is time consuming, such as Final Fantasy or Devil May Cry. 

I can’t play Devil May Cry 4 or 5, I have to play through the first three games beforehand. 

My initial impressions of Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War were pretty bad. I left God of War for a number of weeks before I came back to it. 

Both those took me over a week before I really came to like them. Marvel’s Spider-Man will likely be the same thing. 

Something like the upcoming Konami Anniversary Collection for XB1/PS4 may only take a few hours before I really start to get into it. Castlevania and Contra are both going to have their old games rereleased, so those should be pretty exciting. 

Yes,especially with rpgs. Most of these games throw at you too much info about the mechanics in the beginning and almost every time is overwhelming.And if there are missable trophies is even worse cause rpgs take 80-120 hours give or take.I don't want to miss something in the start and i hate spoilers. So i start slow but after i'm about half way through the game i pick up the pace.My favorite time is near end-game and post-game.Of course when i replay the game (different trophy list) i'm going full regalia from the start

I very rarely play any RPG. I couldn’t play Final Fantasy 10 back when it first came out and seeing that it was rereleased with a trophy list makes me shudder. 

Generally the longer the game the more difficult it is for me to get into. 

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on the game. Games that I know are big or have a lot of collectables, yes (think Witcher 3 or Red Dead Redemption). Games that I am excited for (Spiderman or God of War) I normally start straight away.

Seems that most of my unfished games are ones that are huge. I just get a little overwhelmed and don't know where to start.

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 6:34 AM, dannyswfc9 said:

Its strange cos ac origins i blizted through it. Couldnt get enough of it but oddessey im really struggling getting into it. Even tho its ment to be a better game. Think it may because its such a grind getting through just the story missions

I was the same. Origins was huge and you had to do everything (literally) but I haven't bought Odyssey because it just seems too big but you have to do less (all locations in Origins was a killer). I will buy it tho, Rome after Egypt - yes please!

3 hours ago, Gumby114 said:

I was the same. Origins was huge and you had to do everything (literally) but I haven't bought Odyssey because it just seems too big but you have to do less (all locations in Origins was a killer). I will buy it tho, Rome after Egypt - yes please!

Odyssey is even larger and has a ton of DLC.

And they're not done because Ubisoft just released the first part of The Fate of Atlantis. I reckon Odyssey will have over 100 trophies by the time they're finished.

4 hours ago, Gumby114 said:

There's a trophy that makes you step foot on every island to unveil the sub regions. It can be annoying. Btw it's Greece not Italy.

32 minutes ago, Feral said:

There's a trophy that makes you step foot on every island to unveil the sub regions. It can be annoying. Btw it's Greece not Italy.

Lol my mistake. Greece is still cool. 

Sounds less tedious than going to every location and completing it. 

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Odyssey is even larger and has a ton of DLC.

And they're not done because Ubisoft just released the first part of The Fate of Atlantis. I reckon Odyssey will have over 100 trophies by the time they're finished.

Is the dlc as good as Origins. Cause it was pretty good in Origins. The Curse of the Pharoah's was sick. 

No not really i usually just start whatever i want to play if i get annoyed with it i just put it on hold and come back to it another time and play something else i want to experience in the meantime. I will at times refrain from starting a game that has unachievable trophies though. 

On 3/20/2019 at 1:59 AM, Arcesus7 said:

I used to only play Final Fantasy and other RPGs (Legend of Dragoon... does anyone know this one?), then with the PS4 and access to digital games I started to discover other genres that I love today. But I won't play a series only because of great reviews if I'm otherwise not interested. That's why my Backlog is so small, I guess. 

How do you have a small backlog and only be JRPG?!?! By PSX, that's all I was playing. I couldn't figure out how everyone finished so many games, while I was grinding and being miserable playing FF12. Then I played Revengence and realized not every game is a fucking full work week long lmao

On 3/20/2019 at 3:29 AM, Spaz said:

Metal Gear Solid alone is going to take forever. But it'll be interesting.

u better play the msx games first tho

On 4/1/2019 at 9:34 AM, Gumby114 said:

Lol my mistake. Greece is still cool. 

Sounds less tedious than going to every location and completing it. 

Is the dlc as good as Origins. Cause it was pretty good in Origins. The Curse of the Pharoah's was sick. 

I didnt mind doing all the locations. U kinda new where u stood. Apart from the story missions not sure wot i should be doin on oddessy

it is indeed a problem when I have many games to start, or when I'm playing something but haven't finished it. is like I can't start something else until the games I'm currently playing are done for me, even thought I have some of those "unfinished/unplatted" games on my backlog ?

I don't have any problem starting a game. I actually love it because I don't watch to many things about a game so I can be surprised by the game and genuinely enjoy it! If my instinct says it can be fun I will start it. Most of the game I just finish and then go on to the next one. A rare jewel I really liked from the start to finish was Trackmania Turbo (proud to say I got the platinum for it!).

My problem is WHICH game I will start. A lot of people (I think) and I have the backlog problem and have a couple dozens of disc games I still have to start. The constant supply of new games make it harder to start or finish a game because your interest in games changes after some time (or as I say sometimes the destraction of a new game).

Sometimes.  It's the reason I did a ton of Lego games right after each other. ?

God of War. I haven't gone back because it's like...I have to be in the right mood. ?

Hitman 2's Sniper levels scare me cause it's a totally different kinda of game play. And funny enough when I do, I really dig it.

Have a hand full of games I want to start and then, I don't. Then other days I just grab some random game and just do it. Like that's how I started NieR: Automata. Just said 'Let's play this finally.'

• 4 years later...

ive had this problem forever it seems like, my ps3 list was a huge backklog of games i played maybe a few seconds or minutes and earned 1 trophy and turned off. and ive spent the past few years going back to them. sometimes i just randomly get in the mood to play it after  years later. but most games just sit there. unless its a part 2 of something that i know ill like. something like resident evil i can start right away. other then that i look at most games and dunno if ill enjoy them. alot of games i start off liking alot ill end up hating because of one ignorant trophy they put in. and some of the cheapest shovelware games end up actually being more fun then some big titles because they are good for the amount of time you play them. ive had my ps5 about a year now and ive barely messed with it. the menu still confuses me i always hit the wrong buttons because of lack of use.