Servers to stay open into 2012

Rankineer

Good news.

"While it comes at significant cost to us and although it has been over two years since the game revolutionized the notion of multiplayer and online functionality in an RPG," said Atlus' PR man Aram Jabbari, "Our commitment to the game and the fans that turned it into an incredible success remains as strong as ever. While the reality is that one day the servers will ultimately close due to operation and maintenance costs, that day is not today, nor will it be this year."

http://kotaku.com/58...ne-through-2012

• Like 1

Glad to hear I guess, good news for Demon's Souls players anyways. But if they're going to hang the notion of shutting down the servers over the gamers heads anyways... why not just do it already and get people shifting over to Dark Souls? Use that money to keep a Dark Souls up a few more months when they inevitably announce they're shutting the servers down for it as well. :rolleyes:

I've contemplated giving this a try, but having it officially announced the servers will be going down is a huge turn off. A few more months doesn't change it really.

The game is completely playable offline, you're aware of that right? :P Sure, the online functionality is cool, but it's not required to enjoy the game. In fact with the game being as cheap as it is, and the servers staying open into next year (no close date set), it's a perfect time to hop into the original before moving on to Dark Souls.

• Like 1

That's great news, I've been meaning to get back into DS.

If anyone has any pure crystals to sling my way, I'll be your BFF. True story.

Hey ant1th3s1s, I may or may not have the crystals, but I'm sure I have the weapons. Hit me up whenever.

On a more related note, this is nice to hear. I platted all 3 regional versions of Demon's Souls, and I still play the game, both with others and by myself, with hundreds of hours logged in. I still go through collecting things, so it's nice to see it all not going to waste just yet. :awesome:

• Like 1

That's great news, I've been meaning to get back into DS.

If anyone has any pure crystals to sling my way, I'll be your BFF. True story.

What version of DS are you playing. I'm pretty much done with the US version and working my way through the EU one now. Then I'll be starting the Chinese one after that. I don't have all of the weapons and rings on the US version due to messing up my world tendency early on, however, I do have all of the stones. As for the other two versions. I'm hoping I'll have all the unique weapons, rings, and stones for them both by the time I finish with them.

The game is completely playable offline, you're aware of that right? :P Sure, the online functionality is cool, but it's not required to enjoy the game. In fact with the game being as cheap as it is, and the servers staying open into next year (no close date set), it's a perfect time to hop into the original before moving on to Dark Souls.

I'm not sure why, but it irks me knowing in the back of my head "I better enjoy this now because it won't be around much longer"... even if that "much longer" is a few months to a year. It's a unique online component that would be a shame to lose so soon after buying the game. Trophy-wise I have enough games to focus on without getting into another one, no less a staggeringly difficult one with a deadline lol.

This game sounds like it would frustrate the hell out of me, which is welcomed if it's a game I like... but I won't be paying anywhere near full price unless it's a hockey game. ;) So Dark Souls will probably have to wait.

Demon's Souls is in the maybe pile, a little moreso since the online will be staying up a bit longer.

Hey ant1th3s1s, I may or may not have the crystals, but I'm sure I have the weapons. Hit me up whenever.

On a more related note, this is nice to hear. I platted all 3 regional versions of Demon's Souls, and I still play the game, both with others and by myself, with hundreds of hours logged in. I still go through collecting things, so it's nice to see it all not going to waste just yet. :awesome:

Thanks Hitman, any help would be great.

What version of DS are you playing.

EU version.

EU version.

Well feel free to add me on the PSN if you want. I'm currently around soul level 50-55 I think and only have levels 5-1, 5-2, and 5-3 left to finish. Then I just have to do some minor stuff like killing off the vendors to make Mephistopheles appear and I'll be on my way to new game plus.

This game sounds like it would frustrate the hell out of me, which is welcomed if it's a game I like... but I won't be paying anywhere near full price unless it's a hockey game. ;) So Dark Souls will probably have to wait.

Demon's Souls is in the maybe pile, a little moreso since the online will be staying up a bit longer.

Understandable. It's definitely a hard game and frustrating in parts, but still really gratifying once you've beaten it. Now that the servers are staying open longer I may hop back in and work on some of the harder trophies (weapons, spells, etc.).

I canceled my preorder on Dark Souls. I figure it'll be half price in a few months, and I'm not feeling the difficulty thing at this point in time either.

I think it is things like this that irk me when people bitch about online passes and buying games used. It is expensive to keep servers up, so we should try to support the developers when we can, and if that means buying the game used and having to pay for an online pass then so be it.

To the topic at hand though I should really give this game another go though it has been sitting on my shelf for a very long time with a lot of other backlog games.

That's great news, I've been meaning to get back into DS. If anyone has any pure crystals to sling my way, I'll be your BFF. True story.
I think it is things like this that irk me when people bitch about online passes and buying games used. It is expensive to keep servers up, so we should try to support the developers when we can, and if that means buying the game used and having to pay for an online pass then so be it. To the topic at hand though I should really give this game another go though it has been sitting on my shelf for a very long time with a lot of other backlog games.

I will be able to help both of you with all the weapons and stuff, BUT I am on the Asia version however. So antithesis, since you are using the EU version, I can only wish you good luck! What about you, dr_mayus; what version are you using? =3

I will be able to help both of you with all the weapons and stuff, BUT I am on the Asia version however. So antithesis, since you are using the EU version, I can only wish you good luck! What about you, dr_mayus; what version are you using? =3

I'm the NA version so I guess it doesn't help either. Thanks anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

im actually thinking about picking Demons Souls up again... i am having so much fun with Dark Souls I almost feel like i need to go back and get the platinum on Demons Souls... I love the co-op though and don't know anyone who would do that with me... getting all the rings and weapons might be tough though so it might be a little far fetched with all the games in my backlog...

• 2 weeks later...

I'll help you out with what I can Piggie, right now I'm about to finish up my 2nd playthrough on this account so I can re-plat this game.

I still need a majority of the "best weapon by" trophies and one of the rings though.

If anyone would like to help me clean up Allant I'm level 175 on NG+ and he has stomped me three times in the past hour.

Hitman... I wouldn't mind doing a little boosting... all i really need is the weapon trophies... i made a mage build and got my but kicked so much after NG+++ because i kept getting invaded my people... my mage build couldn't hold up so i gave in a sold it... but i picked it up again yesterday because i heard the servers were going to stay open (as the title states, lol).

anyway... im gonna go start a boosting thread, lol

Hitman... I wouldn't mind doing a little boosting... all i really need is the weapon trophies... i made a mage build and got my but kicked so much after NG+++ because i kept getting invaded my people... my mage build couldn't hold up so i gave in a sold it... but i picked it up again yesterday because i heard the servers were going to stay open (as the title states, lol).

anyway... im gonna go start a boosting thread, lol

Sure, no problem man. I'll add you on PSN (or you could add me as well).

• Like 1

Update

thanks to hitman i was able to score a few trophies last night...

Now the only two trophies i need is the one from killing Kind Doran and the one for having all of the Miracles... I need to get the key from Ostrava (or whatever his name is) to fight Doran but i still need to kill 3 bosses for the souls i need to buy the last 3 Miracles that i need...

So... with that said... if anyone else is willing to help me out please send me a friend request (no blank friend requests please!!!)...

@Hitman... thanks again... I would ask you to help me some more but you have already done enough, lol :)

If hitman is helping out others in acquiring the weapon master trophies, does it require to have some level requirement?

Hitman has empowered me to help others with this trophy as well because we duplicated the items needed so now i have them in my stockpile...

to answer your question... YES... there is a level requirement because you need to be around the same level as the person who you are co-oping with... i think the ratio is 10 levels plus 10%... Example: im level 134 so if you wanted to co-op with me you would have to be between about 124 and 144 + 10% so potentially your level can be as low as 114 ish and as high as 157 ish... but that is just my best guess and estimation...

If you would like help send me a friend request... I could use a co-op buddy for one last playthrough if you are up to the task