Does a games trophy rarity have any effect on your desire to play it

DEI2EK

Well currently yes rarity does affect me choosing some games to play as i want a UR :platinum: A-Z list and i am halfway through... one recent example i started 2064 when it became a ps+ title lately and am disappointed the rarity went up to Very Rare :( ... getting another UR :platinum: is also the 1st reason why i started Just Cause 3 a few weeks ago :D

But in general this isn't important to me... sure, if i start a game like My Name is Mayo or one of the dozens other very easy games i know i'll get very common trophies but i'm more concerned about 1) will i like a game? and 2) is it too hard to complete it (trophy wise)?

• Like 1

Actually, yes, i don't have much time for gaming rn, with it being sometimes just 2-3 hours daily, with times when i don't play at all, and i don't want to be stuck with playing one game for a long time.

When i'll have the time then i think i'll try getting more games with UR's.

i look at difficulty. if it's within a 10% and there's little to known info i'll buy it.

if there's less than 3% platinum completion lets say Sword art online and people just didn't have the time for it. i'll buy it.

the only one i won't touch is tales of symphonia, there isn't a guide that points out enemy's list :( maybe i'll pick it back up someday i would have at least 4-5 runs to get everything.

Edited by kingdrake2

Nope, not at all. Most of the time ultra rares aren't actually hard and common trophies can be hard, it all depends on how many people brought it and how many bothered to play it. I've got a couple of games which have 50% rarity trophies but only 10 owners, that doesn't automatically make those trophies easy so I never bother looking at rarities since they mean nothing.

• Like 1

No, but admittedly I prefer a difficult game with Ultra Rare trophies because I like to be challenged.

At the moment I'm on God of War, I know the game can be platinumed on Easy but the run through I've started is on hard.

I find games that require effort are the ones that you take the most out of.

I'm not against easy, but if they are then they better be good quality.

My only prerequisite is that all trophies have to be attainable and preferably all trophies being offline.

• Like 1

Yes, since when there are no games out being released that directly interest me, I tend to look for games that have a seemingly challenging trophy list. When it comes to games I really like to play like Flower, Metal Gear, Inside, Limbo etc I don't care about the trophy lists although I will still attempt to 100% them.

3 minutes ago, g-bake_1986 said:

I'm much more likely to go for rarer platinums than common ones, I don't have any 50%+ platinums on my account and don't plan to ever have. You'll never see Telltale or other easy stuff on my list. Not judging anyone else, just my choice.

That means you can’t play Spider-Man, yikes!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, g-bake_1986 said:

I'm much more likely to go for rarer platinums than common ones, I don't have any 50%+ platinums on my account and don't plan to ever have. You'll never see Telltale or other easy stuff on my list. Not judging anyone else, just my choice.

you'll miss out on quite a few fun games that way, Spiderman and Cat Quest were pretty easy straight forward plats but very enjoyable games

Yes, I generally prefer more difficult games and while you can find plenty of exceptions rarity is still the best proxy for this.  Some of the most annoying games I've played were easy and boring.  I'd like to play less things like that.  Easy isn't necessarily something I'll avoid, but I do take a much closer look at games with higher trophy percentages to see if there's something there that I'll find engaging and if not, then I'll pass.  I want the experiences, engagement, and challenge, not just the trophies.

As for more difficult games...  even if it doesn't turn out to be as good of a game as I had hoped, I generally still like the challenge, so it's a safer option.  There's almost always something to it that I'll be interested in going for.  And sometimes, I'll play it and then run into something that I can't or don't want to do right now, but it's still somehow satisfying.  I like trying to do something.  Even if I end up failing (for now).  And maybe picking it back up later and trying again.

I'm really baffled by the people who think that rarity has little or nothing to do with difficulty.  That hasn't been my experience at all.

• Like 4

Usually not really, but there are a few games which I had originally intended on getting to play eventually but heard about certain trophies in the game being realllllly rare, mostly just painstakingly difficult. So they’ve ended up in my “think about and reconsider later” list. ?

I wouldn't take rarity the same as difficulty. Case in point, some of the GTA 5's Rockstar Editor trophies are easy like getting the animals and playing as one of them is less than 4% despite the fact it's only a collectible. On the other hand, I personally find GOW2018's plat to be hard despite the fact it's only uncommon. 

I do avoid games that are flat out unobtainable and as of now (at least until 100th plat), less than 1%.